Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Coalition Government would you prefer?

Options
  • 11-02-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Can see FG and SF so left it out.

Which Coalition Government would you prefer? 258 votes

FF, SF, Green
    62% 161 votes
    FF, SF, LAB
    9% 25 votes
    FF, SF, SD
    1% 3 votes
    FF, SF, Indos
    1% 5 votes
    FF, FG, Green
    1% 3 votes
    FF, FG, Indos
    8% 22 votes
    Grand Coalition of the Left?
    4% 12 votes
    Other?
    10% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Whichever one can explain to me why a 20 min eye test takes over 2 years on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Grand Coalition of the left with FG providing a confidence and supply abstention. Fianna Fail should not exist as a political party for the treason they committed never mind have any say in our political system ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I voted Grand Coalition of the Left because I want to see them in the hot seat, It is easy to criticise when you are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think we need all 3 in government to keep an eye on each other. FG for business and budgeting, SF for the social side that FG just don't get. Still trying to workout FF role, maybe peace keeper. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Whichever one can explain to me why a 20 min eye test takes over 2 years on a waiting list.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I voted Grand Coalition of the Left because I want to see them in the hot seat, It is easy to criticise when you are watching.

if the secret police don't gulag or kneecap you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How about Unity government? FG team in charge of Foreign Affairs/Brexit, FF team in charge of... eh... something, SF with health, housing.

How about Unity government? FG team in charge of Foreign Affairs/Brexit, FF team in charge of... eh... something, SF with health, housing.

would only work if you put somebody rigid and uncaring of public opinion in finance to reign in the fanciful spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

theguzman wrote: »
    Fianna Fail should not exist as a political party for the treason they committed never mind have any say in our political system ever again.

Sinn Fein: hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Wombatman wrote: »
    Can see FG and SF so left it out.

"grand coalition of the left" hasn't the numbers - they need most of the independents as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Ideally, a grand coalition of the left. But the numbers aren't there, so I'd settle for an SF/FF/SD coalition with Mary Lou McDonald as Taoiseach. Maybe throw the Greens in there too to keep the numbers up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Odhinn wrote: »
    "grand coalition of the left" hasn't the numbers - they need most of the independents as well.

Might work with a Confidence and Supply arrangement.

Odhinn wrote: »

could you imagine the madness to get it going 'everyone has to wear gender pronoun nametags and praise stalin every morning and kerry gets a new airport and south dublin is now a muslim safety zone and portlaoise gets a skyscraper of social housing and the retirement age is now 40 and all of roscommon gets free straw for cattle and cars are banned but theres a subsidy for electric charge points"

Wombatman wrote: »
    Might work with a Confidence and Supply arrangement.

..with the independents? Be like herding cats, tbh.

could you imagine the madness to get it going 'everyone has to wear gender pronoun nametags and praise stalin every morning and kerry gets a new airport and south dublin is now a muslim safety zone and portlaoise gets a skyscraper of social housing and the retirement age is now 40 and all of roscommon gets free straw for cattle and cars are banned but theres a subsidy for electric charge points"

Jesus man...that acid will fry yer brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If you are working and pay P.R.S.I. you can get it free

Anything that avoids us moving further left. Too many people getting free ride with other peoples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

theguzman wrote: »
    Fianna Fail should not exist as a political party for the treason they committed never mind have any say in our political system ever again.

It's amazing to me how few people feel this way. I would vote for the nazi party before I'd vote for Fianna Fail, (and I'm not a fan of nazi's)

It's amazing to me how few people feel this way. I would vote for the nazi party before I'd vote for Fianna Fail, (and I'm not a fan of nazi's)

...at least the Nazis had nice uniforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rather guiltily I voted FF FG Green, the shinners can't be trusted anymore than the rest but the rest don't have a 'northern wing' to reference and keep happy while in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

Went for Grand Coalition of the left but in reality needing so many independents it would be like a 19 party coalition, far too unstable. Could live with SF/PBP/SD/GP/FF, gives the left the upper hand with numbers over FF and with 98 TDs comfortably passes the 80 seat marker allowing for a few dissenters without losing major votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

I reckon we'd settle for a decent local bus service instead of a new airport tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

dwmcdos wrote: »
    Went for Grand Coalition of the left but in reality needing so many independents it would be like a 19 party coalition, far too unstable. Could live with SF/PBP/SD/GP/FF, gives the left the upper hand with numbers over FF and with 98 TDs comfortably passes the 80 seat marker allowing for a few dissenters without losing major votes.
    And what attraction is there in that for G.P. and F.F.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

would only work if you put somebody rigid and uncaring of public opinion in finance to reign in the fanciful spending.

Like paying off Anglo's bondholders? Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Because left-wing politics is notoriously volatile, I wouldn't expect a Grand Coalition of the Left to last for long even under ideal circumstances, but when TDs of that prospective coalition's largest party are already shouting "Up the Ra" and "Tiocfaidh ár lá," it's probably not going to get off the ground to begin with. How can the Social Democrats, with their progressive agenda, justify joining forces with TDs openly glorifying the IRA?

Probably the most stable government at this point would be FF + FG + Greens, but I can't see that happening. So we shall have to wait and see.

Edgware wrote: »
    If you are working and pay P.R.S.I. you can get it free
    No you don't for a glaucoma test. You go on a list which is between 2-3 years.

Because left-wing politics is notoriously volatile, I wouldn't expect a Grand Coalition of the Left to last for long even under ideal circumstances, but when TDs of that prospective coalition's largest party are already shouting "Up the Ra" and "Tiocfaidh ár lá," it's probably not going to get off the ground to begin with. How can the Social Democrats, with their progressive agenda, justify joining forces with TDs openly glorifying the IRA?

Probably the most stable government at this point would be FF + FG + Greens, but I can't see that happening. So we shall have to wait and see.

...the PIRA were a left wing entity......

No you don't for a glaucoma test. You go on a list which is between 2-3 years.

Go privately if you're that worried.
    What's more important? Saving your sight or saving a few quid?

Rodin wrote: »
    Should have gone to Specsavers.
    It was specsavers that noticed there might be an issue therefore I was refered to a consultant hence the waiting list.

• Advertisement

It was specsavers that noticed there might be an issue therefore I was refered to a consultant hence the waiting list.

Id go private if they think there's a problem and you'd wait years to get seen publicly.
    Shouldnt have to but that's how it is unfortunately.

But then again everyone is promising thousands of new healthcare staff...

Advertisement