Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling clubs with young members

Options
  • 11-02-2020 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Looking to join a club in Dublin that has a lot of members in their 20s, just for social purposes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

opfleet wrote: »
    Looking to join a club in Dublin that has a lot of members in their 20s, just for social purposes.

Us older cyclists are social too.

My advice is to join a local club to you (you haven’t said what part of Dublin you are in). Staying local gives you better opportunities of getting out. In my experience groups tend to be a wide range of ages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm not sure such a club exists does it? You might have more luck with a mountain bike club maybe? Road cycling for the moment is very firmly rooted in the 40+ demographic with the odd whippersnapper in his (yes, his) late 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I am not that familiar with the setup or connection but I think Inspiration (Dunboyne) are primarily focused on getting the whippersnappers into racing and they then get to move onto the main Dunboyne club. There is a strong history or racing with the two clubs but they do have the odd social spin. Just don't try to follow any of them up the Summerhill road at 45kph!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

You could try to join Orwell, when it's open again.

We have multiple Weekends Away, big groups going to Overseas Sportives and Weeks away.
    With the Entry procedure, you'll join with a group that you'll go through the introduction program with, so you'll get to know people that way, and then into the main groups, and get to know more people that way.

Overall there is a massive lack of people 18 -> 27 in the sport.
    There's a small batch of riders in their early 30's at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

opfleet wrote: »

Dublin cycling meetup has plenty of younger people as well as older ones and is purely social. Been out with them a couple of times and they're nice crew going at a very mellow pace. See https://www.meetup.com/dublinfreecycling/

A number of the Dublin clubs seem to be at capacity and not taking on new members. Some are also more oriented towards the sporting than social aspect, though any of the bigger ones cater for both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement