Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petty Cash Book - Who is responsible for completing same when money is borrowed?

Options
  • 11-02-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am currently working voluntarily as a receptionist and was wondering if I could have clarification re - petty cash & petty cash book.

When a person within the organisation borrows petty cash from the cash box - who is responsible for completing the petty cash book recording this borrowing - is it the person who borrowed it, or the responsibility of the receptionist?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Whoever has the key.

If there’s no key then it’s a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

Whoever has the key.

If there’s no key then it’s a free for all.

Thanks.

So for example, in the petty cash book when a person borrows money from this, would an example of this transaction record in the petty cash be something like

"Person A borrowed X amount for supplies"
    Amount €XXXX
    Signed: "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have you considered asking the manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I am me123 wrote: »
    Thanks.

So for example, in the petty cash book when a person borrows money from this, would an example of this transaction record in the petty cash be something like

"Person A borrowed X amount for supplies"
    Amount €XXXX
    Signed: "

Pretty much. They should also leave the receipt once the supplies have been purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is a reason that the petty cash isn't just left in a press I the middle of the office.

Think about that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

When a person within the organisation borrows petty cash from the cash box - who is responsible for completing the petty cash book recording this borrowing - is it the person who borrowed it, or the responsibility of the receptionist?

Its your job. You need to note who took the money, for what and how much. You take the receipt and reimburse the person. If they took the cash before buying the stuff, its up to you to chase them for the receipt and to collect any change. Sure how else will you reconcile your books at the end of the month? If you leave it up to the person, what's stopping them from writing down, €20 but taking €50 !?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

You need to change the system to one of reimbursement.Show me the receipt,here's the (petty) cash.
    If the purchase is too big for someone to pre pay,then it's too big for petty cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The person responsible for the petty cash box is responsible.. that'd be the receptionist.

You could cut down on petty cash by running a tab with a local shop. Even better, tell the person to pay from their own pocket and reimburse them from petty cash.

Advertisement