Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spectam

• 11-02-2020 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Seen a thread on Facebook on this with alot off divided opinion. Never used it here or never had till so far. Know a good luck lads that will have it in the lamb before they even get a suck off the ewe. Many off u guys using it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambman wrote: »
    Seen a thread on Facebook on this with alot off divided opinion. Never used it here or never had till so far. Know a good luck lads that will have it in the lamb before they even get a suck off the ewe. Many off u guys using it?

Don't use it either but I'm obsessive about ensuring colostrum supply and Hygiene. Apparently most farmers use it according to the vets.
    It's overuse of antibiotics but like climate change there's no point in worrying about it if no one else does.
    We used to lamb 800+ lambs/yr here and would only have maybe one or two ecolis/watery belly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Agree with the above ie hygiene and colostrum.
    Its like people worrying about the one lamb in 500 that a fox might take and forget about the 20 that die of starvation etc.

That said had an outbreak of watery mouth/e.coli here a few years ago and found Spectam about as good as pouring distilled water down their necks.
    Anti microbial (Baytril Max etc ) worked the finest with half a cc straight away once you spotted the first signs.Kept even the worst cases alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I’m trialling this pruex product this year to see if any Benefit

https://www.pruex.co.uk/products/pip-animal-house-stabaliser-ahs-20-litre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

razor8 wrote: »
    I’m trialling this pruex product this year to see if any Benefit

https://www.pruex.co.uk/products/pip-animal-house-stabaliser-ahs-20-litre

What does it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

What does it do?

It’s supposed to populate the bedding with good bacteria and dominate the bad like ecoli etc. I spray it into drinkers as well and seems to keep them very clean.

First year using it

1 litre does 400m2 but your supposed to spray it through a knapsack sack every few days. Used instead of lime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Yes paddys dream that was mentioned on the thread along with I think either a newer or cheaper product I'll see if I can find it. I agree with wrangler 100% on the overuse off antibiotics some people think I'll use it just in case but then are left with nothing when resistance builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Give it to weak lambs or not lively ones, very little to go wrong with a good strong couple that sucks imo

Advertisement