Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fritz!box examples on how to get good WiFi coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Hi,

so I had two 7530s in a mesh, working fine, have just moved home, signed up with DigiWeb that included another 7530s - that makes 3. But one of the original two do not stay in the mesh!

The problem one was one of the orignal two that had no issues before, but now it is configured as a repeater instead of the master. I configure it at night, confirm it works, is in mesh, has the mesh symbol when I view the mesh on the master, devices connect to it, and can access the internet. All good. Then I go to bed, next morning it is no longer in the mesh, no longer has the mesh symbol, does still get an IP from the master, but any devices using it no longer can access the internet.

Anyone see/fix this before?

Thanks.

Edit: I've also tried factory resetting etc, but no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭user1842

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi,

so I had two 7530s in a mesh, working fine, have just moved home, signed up with DigiWeb that included another 7530s - that makes 3. But one of the original two do not stay in the mesh!

The problem one was one of the orignal two that had no issues before, but now it is configured as a repeater instead of the master. I configure it at night, confirm it works, is in mesh, has the mesh symbol when I view the mesh on the master, devices connect to it, and can access the internet. All good. Then I go to bed, next morning it is no longer in the mesh, no longer has the mesh symbol, does still get an IP from the master, but any devices using it no longer can access the internet.

Anyone see/fix this before?

Thanks.

Edit: I've also tried factory resetting etc, but no help.

Did you try updating them all to the latest beta firmware:

https://en.avm.de/fritz-lab/fresh-from-development/fresh-from-development/

user1842 wrote: »
    Did you try updating them all to the latest beta firmware:

Havent tried that yet. Are they safe? Anyone here happily using Beta firmwares in a mesh?

Havent tried that yet. Are they safe? Anyone here happily using Beta firmwares in a mesh?

I am and I have had no problems. In reality the current beta is very mature and I would think they will release the live version of 7.20 for the 7530 very soon. They have already released it for the 7590.

You could wait if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Marlow, I was researching creating a mesh using some Fritz! hardware when I stumbled across this thread, its very informative, thank you!

For a while we ere just using a SIM card in a Huawei router, but a couple of months ago we got set up with a WISP. At the minute we just have one Fritz!box 7530, but the wifi coverage isn't sufficient. Most rooms are wired with Cat5 cables, so we can connects the TVs etc in some rooms that the wifi doesn't reach to. The wifi doesn't extend to most of upstairs, so we are still using the SIM card in the router upstairs, at an additional cost of €20 per month!

So instead I was looking at just buying two new Fritz! devices, and setting up a mesh. I'm not sure on one thing though, would I be better off to go with a couple more 7530 boxes and use these as repeaters? Or just buy two Fritz!Repeater 3000? I have the option of connecting the new devices via the Cat5, and both are similarly priced, so maybe i'm missing something but I can't really see the benefit of going with one device over the other. I notice that you have two of both devices i'm considering, so any thoughts on it are appreciated!

• Advertisement

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    So instead I was looking at just buying two new Fritz! devices, and setting up a mesh. I'm not sure on one thing though, would I be better off to go with a couple more 7530 boxes and use these as repeaters? Or just buy two Fritz!Repeater 3000? I have the option of connecting the new devices via the Cat5, and both are similarly priced, so maybe i'm missing something but I can't really see the benefit of going with one device over the other. I notice that you have two of both devices i'm considering, so any thoughts on it are appreciated!

Wi-Fi is technically better on the Fritz!Repeater 3000 but im not sure does it make much of a difference. The Fritz!Repeater 3000 has 1733 Mbit/s gross via 4x4 streams with a max device connection of 866 Mbit/s.

The 7530 has a 866 Mbit/s gross via 2x2 streams with max device connection of 866 Mbit/s.

The 7530 is a fully functioning VDSL router so may also have a better resale or other use value.

(the above speeds are in the 5GHz band, they would be lower if connected via 2.5GHz)

Also I think 1733 Mbps speed is in the upper 5 GHz band and only used as a back-haul connection to the Fritz!box 7590 and not the 7530.

So I would think that, if you are connecting via Ethernet cable then the only difference between the two is 4X4 vs 2x2 streams.

I am and I have had no problems. In reality the current beta is very mature and I would think they will release the live version of 7.20 for the 7530 very soon. They have already released it for the 7590.

You could wait if you want.

Updated to 7.19 beta - Mesh is stable now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

So I would think that, if you are connecting via Ethernet cable then the only difference between the two is 4X4 vs 2x2 streams.

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed reply user1842. I hadn't realised there was any difference between them in terms of the 4x4 and 2x2 streams.

Updated to 7.19 beta - Mesh is stable now. Thanks.

Stable firmware 7.20 is now out for the 7530.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I have a Fritzbox 4040 running gigabyte fibre. I was going to add some Fritz repeaters, most likely the 1200 socket repeater. The house is a bungalow and its less than 2000 so ft. Would this be a decent solution? Only problem I have is obtaining the repeaters in Ireland and I think they only come in European two prong plugs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

detective wrote: »
    I have a Fritzbox 4040 running gigabyte fibre. I was going to add some Fritz repeaters, most likely the 1200 socket repeater. The house is a bungalow and its less than 2000 so ft. Would this be a decent solution? Only problem I have is obtaining the repeaters in Ireland and I think they only come in European two prong plugs.

Just use the 7530...

detective wrote: »

The Fritzbox 4040 is mesh compatible so it should work. They first thing I would check is will the Fritzbox 4040 get the latest firmware update to FritzOS 7.20. This is important as the mesh function works a lot better on the new version of the software.

In addition you should really connect the Fritz 1200 socket repeater to the Fritzbox 4040 via an min cat5e Ethernet cable (LAN bridge) to ensure that you will get the best performance and that the wireless streams are available fully for devices and not used as back-haul to connect to the Fritzbox 4040.

I have not seen the Fritz 1200 with a UK plug. I dont think this model currently exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

The Fritzbox 4040 is mesh compatible so it should work. They first thing I would check is will the Fritzbox 4040 get the latest firmware update to FritzOS 7.20. This is important as the mesh function works a lot better on the new version of the software.

In addition you should really connect the Fritz 1200 socket repeater to the Fritzbox 4040 via an min cat5e Ethernet cable (LAN bridge) to ensure that you will get the best performance and that the wireless streams are available fully for devices and not used as back-haul to connect to the Fritzbox 4040.

I have not seen the Fritz 1200 with a UK plug. I dont think this model currently exists.

I also noticed that in v7.20 it's much better now for devices that previously wouldn't switch from a distant AP. Actually allowed me to move a mesh device to another location.

This is the dev lab list of devices. Might mean that not many more will get v7.20 outside of the ones listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Marlow, I was researching creating a mesh using some Fritz! hardware when I stumbled across this thread, its very informative, thank you!

For a while we ere just using a SIM card in a Huawei router, but a couple of months ago we got set up with a WISP. At the minute we just have one Fritz!box 7530, but the wifi coverage isn't sufficient. Most rooms are wired with Cat5 cables, so we can connects the TVs etc in some rooms that the wifi doesn't reach to. The wifi doesn't extend to most of upstairs, so we are still using the SIM card in the router upstairs, at an additional cost of €20 per month!

I just got an upgrade to the 7530, to replace my 7560. Set it up this morning and could not get a wifi signal in the room above it! It barely picked up 1 bar. I had to switch back to the 7560 again. Very disappointed as I thought it would have a stronger signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

chewed wrote: »
    I just got an upgrade to the 7530, to replace my 7560. Set it up this morning and could not get a wifi signal in the room above it! It barely picked up 1 bar. I had to switch back to the 7560 again. Very disappointed as I thought it would have a stronger signal.

Mind me asking who your ISP is.

In relation to the 7560 it has a better wifi reach that the 7530 on the 2.4ghz band. However the 7530 is better on the 5ghz band. It might be worth updating the firmware on the 7530 to 7.20 (which is now available for it) You may see some improvements.

cunnijo wrote: »
    Mind me asking who your ISP is.

In relation to the 7560 it has a better wifi reach that the 7530 on the 2.4ghz band. However the 7530 is better on the 5ghz band. It might be worth updating the firmware on the 7530 to 7.20 (which is now available for it) You may see some improvements.

I'm with Digiweb on the 1gb fibre plan. I just checked and it's already on 7.20 firmware.

I decided to give it another test this morning and now it's seems to be much better. I'm getting good coverage upstairs now. Maybe not as good as 7560, but it's working at least! I might invest in a mesh repeater.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I'm with Digiweb on the 1gb fibre plan. I just checked and it's already on 7.20 firmware.

I decided to give it another test this morning and now it's seems to be much better. I'm getting good coverage upstairs now. Maybe not as good as 7560, but it's working at least! I might invest in a mesh repeater.

Hi chewed. It seems the 7.20 firmware has provided some improvements for you. In relation to the upgrade did Digiweb offer it or did you ask about it. As for the repeater Digiweb are selling the high end Fritz 3000 repeater but it is not cheap

On Amazon it sells @ £130.00.

Hi chewed. It seems the 7.20 firmware has provided some improvements for you. In relation to the upgrade did Digiweb offer it or did you ask about it. As for the repeater Digiweb are selling the high end Fritz 3000 repeater but it is not cheap

You could get it on Amazon.de

€131.93 including shipping to Ireland.

I asked Digiweb for it, as I was having a few issues with the 7560. It kept dropping out for some reason. I'm going to test out the 7530 this week and see how it performs.

You could get it on Amazon.de

€131.93 including shipping to Ireland.

Just saw that! thanks. I might go for it.

• Advertisement

I asked Digiweb for it, as I was having a few issues with the 7560. It kept dropping out for some reason. I'm going to test out the 7530 this week and see how it performs.

Was it brand new or a refurb unit? I asked Digiweb about getting one to replace my old 7560 and was told the 7530 sent out as replacements are refurbed units.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Was it brand new or a refurb unit? I asked Digiweb about getting one to replace my old 7560 and was told the 7530 sent out as replacements are refurbed units.

I'm not sure. How can you tell? The box wasn't sealed, but the device looks very new.

I'm not sure. How can you tell? The box wasn't sealed, but the device looks very new.

The 7530 I bought came with blue plastic film stuck to it like this
    https://www.gamescore.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/fritzbox-7530-02.jpg

The 7530 I bought came with blue plastic film stuck to it like this
    https://www.gamescore.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/fritzbox-7530-02.jpg

Yes, the device I got had this blue plastic on it.

Yes, the device I got had this blue plastic on it.

Nice. I was wondering if you had wifi issues if it was a unit sent back that ended up going out again...

I have three 7530s and two of them have serial numbers beginning with L and with the v7.20 update they retained the ability to dim and turn off the LEDs. The third 7530 has a serial number starting with a K (it's older and has the previous style big instruction booklet like the 7560 came with) and with the v7.20 update it lost the ability to dim the LEDs (function isn't in the interface) but they can still be turned off.
    The dimming never worked that well on it so I wonder if they pulled the function from the older series of 7530s.....

Nice. I was wondering if you had wifi issues if it was a unit sent back that ended up going out again...

I have three 7530s and two of them have serial numbers beginning with L and with the v7.20 update they retained the ability to dim and turn off the LEDs. The third 7530 has a serial number starting with a K (it's older and has the previous style big instruction booklet like the 7560 came with) and with the v7.20 update it lost the ability to dim the LEDs (function isn't in the interface) but they can still be turned off.
    The dimming never worked that well on it so I wonder if they pulled the function from the older series of 7530s.....

Ah I didn't know you could dim the lights! Handy to know as I've had to move the 7530 up beside the TV to get a better reception.

The device I have has a serial number beginning with M

So, I've been using the 7530 for a few days now. So far so good.

BUT.....I would have expected much higher speeds on wifi, especially considering I'm on the 1gb Fiber package. I have a new Cat6 cable from ONT to modem. My laptop is picking up 5ghz and this is the result. Should I be getting faster?

9835847218.png

The speeds are not an issue for me, but I'm thinking why bother paying for 1gb when I could just be on a cheaper option.

So, I've been using the 7530 for a few days now. So far so good.

BUT.....I would have expected much higher speeds on wifi, especially considering I'm on the 1gb Fiber package. I have a new Cat6 cable from ONT to modem. My laptop is picking up 5ghz and this is the result. Should I be getting faster?

9835847218.png

The speeds are not an issue for me, but I'm thinking why bother paying for 1gb when I could just be on a cheaper option.

That's a good speed for 5Ghz WiFi. WiFi 6 is really the only thing that will make proper use of a 1Gbit fibre connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I’ve found the repeater plugs FritzBox extremely good. Created a nice mesh network & you can configure everything extremely easily from the main Fritzbox.

They ship with standard continental CEE 7/16 plugs, but it’s hardly rocket science (unless you’re a Brexiteer reviewing them) to use a simple adapter.

( We’re going to have great fun after January as only simple plugs and sockets are excluded from the EU Low Voltage Directive and CE marking. So it means that any plug that’s a “device” - WiFi extended plugs, mobile phone chargers, power strips but also light switches etc to British specs, if not CE approved aren’t legal to import here anymore. Also supply chains are likely to become a lot more continental focused. So get used to adapters and two pin plugs in the years ahead. It would probably make more sense for us to just adopt a Schuko or French sockets from 2021 onwards and get it over with. We used to use Schuko for years anyway & the modern versions of those aren’t any downgrade from what we currently use. I mean they’re quite happily used in Sweden, Finland, Norway & Iceland - hardly countries known for use of less safe anything.

https://www.nsai.ie/images/uploads/general/Brexit_Electrical_Questions.pdf )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I’ve found the repeater plugs FritzBox extremely good. Created a nice mesh network & you can configure everything extremely easily from the main Fritzbox.

They ship with standard continental CEE 7/16 plugs, but it’s hardly rocket science (unless you’re a Brexiteer reviewing them) to use a simple adapter.

( We’re going to have great fun after January as only simple plugs and sockets are excluded from the EU Low Voltage Directive and CE marking. So it means that any plug that’s a “device” - WiFi extended plugs, mobile phone chargers, power strips but also light switches etc to British specs, if not CE approved aren’t legal to import here anymore. Also supply chains are likely to become a lot more continental focused. So get used to adapters and two pin plugs in the years ahead. It would probably make more sense for us to just adopt a Schuko or French sockets from 2021 onwards and get it over with. We used to use Schuko for years anyway & the modern versions of those aren’t any downgrade from what we currently use. I mean they’re quite happily used in Sweden, Finland, Norway & Iceland - hardly countries known for use of less safe anything.

https://www.nsai.ie/images/uploads/general/Brexit_Electrical_Questions.pdf )

Where did you get them online?

Advertisement