Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein end Direct Provision

Options
  • 12-02-2020 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

The Sinn Fein manifesto on Immigration is to end Direct provision .What is the alternative and how is this to be achieved ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's just another of their fantasy promises. In a housing crisis, where are they going to put asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

It's just another of their fantasy promises. Im a housing crisis, where are they going to put asylum seekers?

Just another policy that does not stack up !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Perhaps they will run out of ideas and just imprison innocent asylum seekers in an ironic twist.

Get the RA to chase them out .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think Mary Lou at one point said she just wanted everybody to be happy and something along the lines of things can be worked out.
    I'm also always told how great Eoin Ó'Broin and Pearse Doherty is at these issues so leave them to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

It's just another of their fantasy promises. In a housing crisis, where are they going to put asylum seekers?

In houses.

The Irish can be put in revamped shipping containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What do the ra heads think?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What do the ra heads think?

They don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If SF went and ended Direct Provision, gave asylum to all and immediately housed them, their support would disintegrate within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

In the houses they are going to build

• Advertisement

They don't.

You have to wonder are they aware of this policy because I know quite a few ra heads that are quite racist.

I don't actually know a ra head that is not racist come to think of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

Good it's about time dp was cancelled. Its a disgusting, racist grubby little smear on this countries name. Packing refugees into substandard accommodation like sardines, did anyone think that was acceptable in the first place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Packing refugees into substandard accommodation like sardines, did anyone think that was acceptable in the first place?

Change refugees for Irish people and you could be describing the health service

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Change refugees for Irish people and you could be describing the health service

What's that got to do with direct provision? Open a thread on the HSE if you want to discuss that.

Good it's about time dp was cancelled. Its a disgusting, racist grubby little smear on this countries name. Packing refugees into substandard accommodation like sardines, did anyone think that was acceptable in the first place?

So what your alternative plan ?

rgossip30 wrote: »
    So what your alternative plan ?

Treat people with dignity and find actual adequate housing and accommodation for them and help them integrate into the country.

Treat people with dignity and find actual adequate housing and accommodation for them and help them integrate into the country.

Erm, you do know why these people are not treated normally, right?

Or do you believe every person who arrives in this country should be treated essentially as an Irish citizen?

There are reasons Direct Provision exists.

Many would argue it should not exist and most should be sent back as having no right to be here.

Erm, you do know why these people are not treated normally, right?

Or do you believe every person who arrives in this country should be treated essentially as an Irish citizen?

There are reason Direct Provision exists.

So we treat them like livestock until they prove their worth. You seem nice.

So we treat them like livestock until they prove their worth. You seem nice.

I'm very nice and can spot a re-reg too.

But that be as it may you don't seem to have an understanding of this issue at all.

So we'll leave it there.

I'm very nice and can spot a re-reg too.

But that be as it may you don't seem to have an understanding of this issue at all.

So we'll leave it there.

Wtf is a re-reg?

• Advertisement

Wtf is a re-reg?

I really don't need to go in to that. The mods will be more than happy to tell you.

I really don't need to go in to that. The mods will be more than happy to tell you.

So basically you're full of **** then? You can't debate me so you throw around internet jargon and invoke the mods? Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

So basically you're full of **** then? You can't debate me so you throw around internet jargon and invoke the mods? Pathetic

Whats there to debate, we have a housing crisis so how can we take in more asylum seekers and house them outside direct provision, this is the reality not some anti-immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Relocate them to the 'North of Ireland'.
    Oh wait...

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Whats there to debate, we have a housing crisis so how can we take in more asylum seekers and house them outside direct provision, this is the reality not some anti-immigration policy.

Do you know what a re-reg is? Can anyone offer a bit of clarity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Do you know what a re-reg is? Can anyone offer a bit of clarity?

It's like a sequel when you are making movies.

Gynoid wrote: »
    It's like a sequel when you are making movies.

Well no this is my first account. And even if it wasn't I don't see why it should derail the entire argument

Well no this is my first account.

PowerlessForcefulBrownbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I am in agreement with various aspects of Sinn Fein's manifesto, but this wouldn't be one of them.

The only thing to be done is to radically cut the time from first application to final descision on refugee applications (including all the appeal steps). The turnaround from first step to last should be 6 to 9 months max.

Those that are granted asylum can get on with their lives in Ireland, those that fail to meet the bar need to go home, and I don't mean to be mean-spirited.

There is currently no viable alternative to direct provision. We need an immigration system that is fair to both applicant and the Irish public at large. The current system of endless delays and long stretches between the exhaustive appeals is neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Because people love to punch down.

Advertisement