Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein end Direct Provision

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

The pecking order for accommodation in Ireland needs to be

Irish Citizens, followed by
    EU Citizens

then actual refugees from outside EU
    and lastly economic migrants from outside EU.

Actual refugees are usually processed and housed quickly from out of direct provision. (in line with our agreed international commitment's)

.. Economic migrants are repatriated (unless they have skills we need) back to their home countries from out of Direct Provision.

Direct Provision is a necessary evil.... the only other alternative would be to house these illegal aliens in jail (which incidentally was the policy up until Direct Provision came into being)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

PowerlessForcefulBrownbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Just **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The Sinn Fein manifesto on Immigration is to end Direct provision .What is the alternative and how is this to be achieved ?

The impression I got from my local campaigners was that the objection to direct provision was that it was privately run.

I suspect direct provision will be replaced with a similar system whereby the state owns the hotels and employs the hotel staff that the asylum seekers are placed in instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭rgossip30

So basically you're full of **** then? You can't debate me so you throw around internet jargon and invoke the mods? Pathetic

You dont offer any realistic plan only to say its unfair maybe you could take in some there is provision for this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

It's just another of their fantasy promises. In a housing crisis, where are they going to put asylum seekers?

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/micheal-martin-backs-manifesto-promising-rent-freeze-and-ending-direct-provision-38889080.html

FF has a policy to end direct provison.

https://www.labour.ie/manifesto/

Labour has a policy to end direct provison.

This more foaming at the mouth Fine Gael attacking SF for a sensible policy. Seems like some people are happy to transfer millions of tax payers money to private business owners to subsidise human suffering.

• Advertisement

You dont offer any realistic plan only to say its unfair maybe you could take in some there is provision for this .

It's not my duty to do that, it's the Irish governments obligation to ensure those in need are seen to. Just like it's been done for us in Canada, the US and Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

It's just another of their fantasy promises. In a housing crisis, where are they going to put asylum seekers?

Are you aware that most Irish parties are against Direct Provison. You do realise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Are you aware that most Irish parties are against Direct Provison. You do realise that?

You'd probably find that outwardly, most parties would oppose direct provision to be publicly seen to do so and not attract negative media attention, but in the smoke filled rooms where party policy is ground out, there is an acceptance that it is necessary to some extent.

Direct provision is a pox, but not because of the conditions people are housed in, for the most part it's actually fine. It's a pox because of the length of time people spend there.

The true difficulty is the laborious and lengthy appeals process that provides fees for underemployed barristers and legal types.

Again, I hope this doesn't come across as mean spirited, but I also think giving asylum seekers access to the labour market is a mistake, it drives applications that are shaky and are likely a pull factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

As many families from war zones as we can properly accommodate should be taken in and perhaps could be housed from the refugee camps in the Middle East etc directly to rural houses or flats which there are, still left unoccupied since the boom. There are quite a lot of those and perhaps a fund could be set up to rehabilitate houses that have been left empty for a while. It would mean more easy integration in smaller numbers into local communities. Irish people have been absolutely brilliant that way for decades, helping fleeing refugees to settle here.

After that it would help if there was an online register where the righteous people of boards who preach all day long about the hideous racists in their midst can submit the room or rooms they have available to accommodate the many chaps from Albania, Algeria and Afghanistan etc who are looking for economic betterment. They would host them up to the point of financial indepence by their visitors. There should be quite an amount of rooms made available that way, judging by the number of voices in this forum alone who p1ss on others from their perches all day long, and then those hectoring people will be hands on with actually helping out. Winners all round, really.

It's not my duty to do that, it's the Irish governments obligation to ensure those in need are seen to. Just like it's been done for us in Canada, the US and Australia

You blithering....
    The govts of Canada, US and Australia never had refugee programs for Irish people.

I presume we can put you down for a room though, yeah? Even your own? You can sleep on the couch. It is afterall to "ensure those in need" etc..

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    You blithering....
    The govts of Canada, US and Australia never had refugee programs for Irish people.

I presume we can put you down for a room though, yeah? Even your own? You can sleep on the couch. It is afterall to "ensure those in need" etc..

So Irish people haven't ever been looked after or treated favourably in those countries? They haven't been able to prepare their own food, or work or packed to a room to the point some attempt suicide. Not to mention the scummy natives commiting arson against the centres

bcklschaps wrote: »
    The pecking order for accommodation in Ireland needs to be

Irish Citizens, followed by
    EU Citizens

then actual refugees from outside EU
    and lastly economic migrants from outside EU.

Actual refugees are usually processed and housed quickly from out of direct provision. (in line with our agreed international commitment's)

.. Economic migrants are repatriated (unless they have skills we need) back to their home countries from out of Direct Provision.

Direct Provision is a necessary evil.... the only other alternative would be to house these illegal aliens in jail (which incidentally was the policy up until Direct Provision came into being)

split irish citizens into "workers" and "freeriders", chuck freeriders in under eu citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭jucko

Good it's about time dp was cancelled. Its a disgusting, racist grubby little smear on this countries name. Packing refugees into substandard accommodation like sardines, did anyone think that was acceptable in the first place?

Asylum seekers staying in a 4 star hotel beside me. Free childcare and meals, clothing. Relatives sometimes drive up in their BMWs, for a day out.
    Nice people, looking for a better life, and fair play to Ireland for looking after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

As many families from war zones as we can properly accommodate should be taken in and perhaps could be housed from the refugee camps in the Middle East etc directly to rural houses or flats which there are, still left unoccupied since the boom. There are quite a lot of those and perhaps a fund could be set up to rehabilitate houses that have been left empty for a while. It would mean more easy integration in smaller numbers into local communities. Irish people have been absolutely brilliant that way for decades, helping fleeing refugees to settle here.

After that it would help if there was an online register where the righteous people of boards who preach all day long about the hideous racists in their midst can submit the room or rooms they have available to accommodate the many chaps from Albania, Algeria and Afghanistan etc who are looking for economic betterment. They would host them up to the point of financial indepence by their visitors. There should be quite an amount of rooms made available that way, judging by the number of voices in this forum alone who p1ss on others from their perches all day long, and then those hectoring people will be hands on with actually helping out. Winners all round, really.
    e e

People from Syria or wherever do not want to be put in a house in rural Ireland miles from shops, services or anyone they know or could talk to. They have done a scheme like this in mayo and they are full time running taxis to bring them in and out to town.

We have too many appeals processes which means people end up in DP for years. It should be much swifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭jucko

threeball wrote: »
    e e

People from Syria or wherever do not want to be put in a house in rural Ireland miles from shops, services or anyone they know or could talk to. They have done a scheme like this in mayo and they are full time running taxis to bring them in and out to town.

We have too many appeals processes which means people end up in DP for years. It should be much swifter.

i see this beside me. A businessman set up a taxi firm just to cater for this.
    Again, its all legal, fair play taxi man!

USA asylum seekers

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/10/america-asylum-seeker-refugees-human-rights

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/is-easier-the-us-apply-asylum-rather-applying-refugee-status.html

Australia asylum seekers

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/asylum-seekers-and-refugees-guide

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/less-one-third-refugees-australias-humanitarian-program-resettled-unhcr/
    https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/operation-sovereign-borders-offshore-detention-statistics/

Canada would appear to be the best pace to seek asylum

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/03/claiming_asylum_incanadawhathappens.html

In the USA and Australia the accommodation and conditions are more strict and certainly are worse than Ireland .

In Ireland 90 % do not meet the criteria for refugee status and fail. Remember no one asked them to come here and they are free to leave .

So Irish people haven't ever been looked after or treated favourably in those countries? They haven't been able to prepare their own food, or work or packed to a room to the point some attempt suicide. Not to mention the scummy natives commiting arson against the centres

The scummy natives. God the reverse racist paternalistic indulgence.

But yeah, no . No looking after. No favourable treatment. You sold your labour cheaply to whoever wanted it, if not out on yer ear on the night boat back home. My first time abroad was 6 months living in a decrepid squat in Harlesden, crowded with other Irish young people, and all of us on the tubes at dawn out to work. Crap jobs often, the lads on the buildings, the girls in bars or as office temps We were there legally because of EEC. There was not a hope in hell of getting into Australia or the US without a visa, big money in your bank account and proof of a job or sponsor. If you did not support yourself out on yer ear. I don't know how anyone has to clarify this stuff. It is elementary.

jucko wrote: »
    Asylum seekers staying in a 4 star hotel beside me. Free childcare and meals, clothing. Relatives sometimes drive up in their BMWs, for a day out.
    Nice people, looking for a better life, and fair play to Ireland for looking after them.

Im sure yeah. Do they throw their buggies away if there's no room on the bus and say they'll get new ones for free too? At least try to be a convincing liar.

In Ireland we want to live in a utopia but don't want to pay for it. We want services like a Swede but to be taxed like an American.

The scummy natives. God the reverse racist paternalistic indulgence.

But yeah, no . No looking after. No favourable treatment. You sold your labour cheaply to whoever wanted it, if not out on yer ear on the night boat back home. My first time abroad was 6 months living in a decrepid squat in Harlesden, crowded with other Irish young people, and all of us on the tubes at dawn out to work. Crap jobs often, the lads on the buildings, the girls in bars or as office temps We were there legally because of EEC. There was not a hope in hell of getting into Australia or the US without a visa, big money in your bank account and proof of a job or sponsor. If you did not support yourself out on yer ear. I don't know how anyone has to clarify this stuff. It is elementary.

You didn't address my point. Is arson being committed against refugees acceptable? Also should your experience have to be the benchmark for everyone? Should things not advance or progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dont feed it lads.

the reason direct provision is in a jocker is two fold;

1. the length of time it takes to assess asylum seekers' claims and the amount of appeals permitted.

2. the amount of economic migrants abusing the asylum process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

As alastair would put it, arson was committed against the building not the refugees.

You didn't address my point. Is arson being committed against refugees acceptable? Also should your experience have to be the benchmark for everyone? Should things not advance or progress?

The arson attacks that occurred in Rooskey there were no asylum seekers there.Do you have proof of arson attacks on refugees .

The arson attacks that occurred in Rooskey there were no asylum seekers there.Do you have proof of arson attacks on refugees .

When he's making a movie about it he should include a disclaimer, no refugees were hurt in the burning of these buildings.

So if I set your house on fire you wouldn't consider that an attack against you? Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

You do realise that Irish people must apply for Visa's before arriving in those countries, which can sometimes ve a lengthy process. There are generally a set number of places available. Canada and Australia do well to control their borders (for the most part).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dont feed it lads.

the reason direct provision is in a jocker is two fold;

1. the length of time it takes to assess asylum seekers' claims and the amount of appeals permitted.

2. the amount of economic migrants abusing the asylum process.

If an asylum seeker arrives in Ireland what is the minimum time they are guaranteed to be here between arriving, appeals and everything else?

Anyone know?

no.8 wrote: »
    You do realise that Irish people must apply for Visa's before arriving in those countries, which can sometimes ve a lengthy process. There are generally a set number of places available. Canada and Australia do well to control their borders (for the most part).

Yes but Irish people aren't packed into cramped accommodation like wild animals are they? We're a cruel selfish lot considering our history.

So if I set your house on fire you wouldn't consider that an attack against you? Get a grip.

Get a grip .I would own live in and have paid for the house . Those asylum seekers never even went there and were oblivious to this .
    I have enough of feeding you .

• Advertisement

I did address some of your points. The relevant ones. I won't lower myself to presume I need to defend myself against inferences of my being the sort of animal who burns out refugees. But you can keep your righteousness warm with those kind of inferences.

It is not just my experience but the exclusive experience of all migrants worldwide, except for specific and excellent refugee programs, up to a crazy time not so long ago when globalists decided cheap movement of labour across borders was a nifty way for them to make ever higher profits by driving economic competition among the peasants, but let us sell it as altruism first and recruit an army of bleeding hearts to call anyone who dares to object a filthy refugee burning racist.

Advertisement