Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    If they got a kicking from Sinn Fein, why aren’t Sinn Fein forming a government?

Is it because nobody will talk to Sinn Fein?

And it is their reason for not talking that will be found out..or in the case of FF - has been found out.

They won't talk, not for moral reasons, but because of cosyiness and control.

Michael was ready to talk when he had the control. He about faced from that position when he ended up of practically the same amount of seats but for the CC.
    Their (FF FG) choice now is not their first one...but it is the best of a bad lot for them, they can construct a cozy arrangement.

Let them at it imo. It's a pretend merger ahead of one of them disappearing as a force in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If they got a kicking from Sinn Fein, why aren’t Sinn Fein forming a government?

If you were new to this forum this wilful ignorance could be forgiven, but you're far from new.

To correct you, only FG said they'd outright not go into govt with Sinn Fein, FF only outright dismissed it when the numbers became clear that the shinners couldn't be made scapegoats of and returned the exact same number of seats not counting the CC (as Francie already pointed out)

All the others bar (the irrelevant) labour indicated they'd do business with them, including your beloved green party. *Snigger*

Now before you come back asking why they haven't yet formed a govt, let me get ahead of the inevitable query once again....

The.... numbers.....are.....not......there.

You don't remind me in a chap who likes to be corrected, but your selective amnesia is increasingly being brought to the fore these days blanch.

McMurphy wrote: »
    If you were new to this forum this wilful ignorance could be forgiven, but you're far from new.

To correct you, only FG said they'd outright not go into govt with Sinn Fein, FF only outright dismissed it when the numbers became clear that the shinners couldn't be made scapegoats of and returned the exact same number of seats not counting the CC (as Francie already pointed out)

All the others bar (the irrelevant) labour indicated they'd do business with them, including your beloved green party. *Snigger*

Now before you come back asking why they haven't yet formed a govt, let me get ahead of the inevitable query once again....

You don't remind me in a chap who likes to be corrected, but your selective amnesia is increasingly being brought to the fore these days blanch.

It's trickle down disinformation.

Hopefully if he says it enough it will fool the uninformed and half interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ffg will get it over the line, everyone should relax

'For stability and the country in this time of crisis' :):)

They couldn't give two f***s. They'll be measuring up for curtains and deciding who gets what.
    The only thing that could stop this partnership would be if bigger egos prevail thinking they might fare better in another election but they know that's unlikely. Varadkar has already missed the boat on any good vibes from the 'we're all in this together' feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

FF/FG are a minority with only 72 seats.

What are the other eighty something up to?

Local SF TD here was all over social media with a "vote left" all the way at election time, now they're in they wont talk to each other. Its f**kin tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That gives them 81 seats, a majority of three seats, more than the 72 that FF and FG can muster.

It baffles me that you and others can carry on with this pretend nonsense that only FG are preventing Sinn Fein from forming a government.

The Greens have said that they will talk to anyone, but they have shown no real intention of going into government with any coalition. My understanding is that they have realised that the party rules on two-thirds majority for coalition is the block to either possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Local SF TD here was all over social media with a "vote left" all the way at election time, now they're in they wont talk to each other. Its f**kin tiring.

I can see if you think everyone on 'the left' are the exact same bar being in different parties, having differing views on items and how to tackle them...might have you thinking like that but I believe you know better and are just throwing up chaff not unlike the 'How come the parties with not enough seats don't?'. *See above*

FG are just trying to look reluctant so they can try distance themselves from FF at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Blanch sf would have won comfortably most seats if they ran more candidates. If ffg wont deal with sf and the most popular party is being denied a chance at government, all its is going to do is drive more support to sf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Blanch sf would have won comfortably most seats if they ran more candidates. If ffg wont deal with sf and the most popular party is being denied a chance at government, all its is going to do is drive more support to sf

Political landscape has changed very much since the election as I already outlined to you and SF's policies look even more bonkers now (specifically tax and pension plans).

But who knows, maybe SF will continue to grow. It's understandable even if I totally disagree with it

Well then, it seems all the pre election chest thumping from FG about not being prepared to talk to anyone has resulted in the current conundrum they find themselves in, in not having a stable govt 2 months after the election and in the midst of a worldwide health pandemic.

The other eighty something, as you are prob aware are made up of a portion of independents also, trying to form a stable govt out of those 80 something would be like herding cats.

The numbers are not there without one of the other two big civil war party's, who ruled out the shinners - and on their heads be it.

Despite all the insinuating about "no one wants to talk to sinn Fein" being demonstrated to be untrue, the same people who are proclaiming it are wilfully ignoring that in actual fact, it is FFG who have found themselves without bed fellows, in that no one wants to deal with them, including the green party, and the SDs in particular singled out FG as being the toxic party that they have particular issues with.

On top of that, you have all in sundry calling for a national govt of unity, but once again FG are blocking this - and as 3rd most popular party in the state, I'm not sure that they've any mandate to be blocking it, but blocking it they are.

There's undoubtedly a need for another election now, to clarify the numbers, it didn't need to be like so, a national government of unity would have been a better outcome for all, but this is how it is now, and largely due to nothing more than the intransigence of FG in particular.

When the dust has settled on covid19, this ballsing around in the time of a crisis by them must not be allowed to be forgotten, and I doubt it will be.

The two traditional power swapping party's can't even seem to form a govt with each other now by failing to attract a 3rd scapegoat partner, but let's insinuate it's the shinners who are toxic, my how the mighty have fallen.

• Advertisement

Couple of hours later....
    The Greens have said that they will talk to anyone, y.

And I cut out the piece of text where you say you're baffled. Hmmm.

Moving on. I see EOB tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/EOBroin/status/1250062612638904323?s=19

Haven't waded through all the responses yet, but the first couple gave me a good guffaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

And I cut out the piece of text where you say you are baffled. Hmmm.

Haven't waded through all the responses yet, but the first couple gave me a good guffaw.

The points on that policy are so vague. Completely meaningless in parts. Point 7 Jesus wept! I hope they kept the receipts from which ever one of the big 4 put that drivel together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

smurgen wrote: »
    The points on that policy are so vague. Completely meaningless in parts. Point 7 Jesus wept! I hope they kept the receipts from which ever one of the big 4 put that drivel together.

Genuinely baffling. I don't want to criticize where it's not necessary, but seriously, what does it mean?

Number 6 is particularly perplexing. They want a public service performing to 'exacting targets,' yet set precisely zero for themselves that the public can hang their hat on.

Gobbledygook.

Key Policy 11: Forward, not backwards; upward, not downwards; and always, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Saw that earlier and was going to post it here later, its beyond belief! The Brexit excuse wasn't enough to justify the election wipeout on housing and health primarily has believe me , it will be the same with this virus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yurt! wrote: »
    Genuinely baffling. I don't want to criticize where it's not necessary, but seriously, what does it mean?

Number 6 is particularly perplexing. They want a public service performing to 'exacting targets,' yet set precisely zero for themselves that the public can hang their hat on.

Gobbledygook.

Key Policy 11: Forward, not backwards; upward, not downwards; and always, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Prestige Worldwide!

This one sounds familiar.

IMG-20200414-172211.jpg

Sounds fairly similar to that time in 2011 they promised new politics, what was it again?

End of cronyism, nepotism and transparency etc.

As good an indication of a cynical power grab as you will get. Rubbish...so much so I would wonder if it is a fake.

This one sounds familiar.

IMG-20200414-172211.jpg

Sounds fairly similar to that time in 2011 they promised new politics, what was it again?

End of cronyism, nepotism and transparency etc.

They mean it this time! Loooooooooooooool!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

smurgen wrote: »
    That's both enforced by current circumstances and intentional as they want to try to attract others into the government fold. It'll be a government of semi-unity!

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's both enforced by current circumstances and intentional as they want to try to attract others into the government fold. It'll be a government of semi-unity!

2011 For Never-Learners.

Bought that once from a man who is ten times what Leo was and was still a fraud and a bull****ter. Never again.

• Advertisement

For those bemoaning Mary Lou for self isolating, and insinuating she had little more than a head cold........

Well this is awkward.

Mary Lou McDonald tests positive for Covid-19

And it doesn't sound like it was a mild case either going by RTE.
    Deputy McDonald said she had experienced a setback in her recovery last weekend, after developing post-viral pleurisy in her right lung. However, she added she was responding very well to medication and fully expects to be back at work on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

EVkdUKyXQAEU7ZL?format=jpg&name=360x360

No fecking wonder its taken nearly nine weeks to produce a document.
    Poor old Mehole must have had his interpreters working over time explaining the big words :D

A whole lot of words promising exactly nothing, nothing new or progressive, exactly what you would expect from the existing government.

For those bemoaning Mary Lou for self isolating, and insinuating she had little more than a head cold........

Well this is awkward.

Mary Lou McDonald tests positive for Covid-19

And it doesn't sound like it was a mild case either going by RTE.

Yeah seemed fairly serious, however me and many others despise her politics but would never wish this on her, nor did I mock her for self isolating.

So while your post is valid, it is only relevant for a small number of posters. TBF you haven't said otherwise, but that needs to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

christy c wrote: »
    Yeah seemed fairly serious, however me and many others despise her politics but would never wish this on her, nor did I mock her for self isolating.

So while your post is valid, it is only relevant for a small number of posters. TBF you haven't said otherwise, but that needs to be clear.

Indeed, one particular numbskull was getting great mileage out of the fact she was taking precautions while ill.

Christy, with respect, I couldn't have really made it any clearer, it's the very first words of the very first sentence :o.
    For those bemoaning Mary Lou for self isolating

That was specifically aimed at those who bemoaned the woman self isolating and sneered she was in hiding etc and having little more than a head cold. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Christy, with respect, I couldn't have really made it any clearer, it's the very first words of the very first sentence :o.

That was specifically aimed at those who bemoaned the woman self isolating and sneered she was in hiding etc and having little more than a head cold. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

That was a very low number of posters, I just added that clarity. It wasn't meant as a dig or a criticism in the slightest.

That was a very low number of posters, I just added that clarity. It wasn't meant as a dig or a criticism in the slightest.

Yeah, and I carefully worded my post so as it would apply to them rather than come across as a sweeping generalisation, we're actually on the same page on this Christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haven't read all yet but this jumped out at me

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leo-varadkar-and-micheal-martin-agree-to-enter-historic-coalition-on-basis-of-full-and-equal-partnership-39126981.html
    It also says the parties must develop a “dynamic and reforming public service” which is monitored using scorecards.

It says the public service must operate with “real accountability” and have an “appropriate relationship to the political system”.

The group says any government deal should involve a “new social contract” which embraces all communities and “responds to the new risks and costs of living which are creating concern in people’s lives”.

Enda's score cards and contracts are back! It's like 2011 all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm not keen on this arrangement.

FG should be in opposition.

But **** me I'm having a laugh at the illiterates and SF comrades on social media crying that they didn't vote for this so we need to vote again.

Or the majority didn't vote for these so it's illegal.

This country really has some dimwits in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The election was to all intents and purposes a 3 way tie between SF, FF and FG.
    SF fell asleep while Mary was sick and stopped trying to rally all the other parties against the "establishment"
    It won't be safe to hold another election for a few months, unless mandatory postal votes are introduced.
    the Greens idea of a war time style national government was shot down.
    This is the only outcome left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement