Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FG are starting to remind me of that drunk at a party that won't go home.

You ask them to leave cause they're annoying everyone but they think they're the life and soul of the party and everyone wants them around. It's starting to get cringe worthy and embarrassing at this stage.

On the up side it's lose lose for FFG.

If they don't pull it off they will have attempted a cynical power grab on the back of a health crisis for zero gain.

If they do manage to pull it off it will create huge divisions within each party and is likely destroy one or both of them. It will certainly mean the end of term swapping for a decade at least.

I suppose being blinded with a lust for power while already so incompetent was never going to end well for either Leo or MM.

I don't think it is lust for power as such. It is a last ditch attempt to cling on to control of the power.

They know one of them is going down here so the cozy power swap century is over. They may have to actually work for all to get their go at the tiller in future.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Not that I've seen, a cursory glance at yesterday's/this morning's news, labour seem to be rejecting it, the social democrats said it was far from radical and very underwhelming.

Not sure about Eamon Ryan and the greens, but they're just back in from the wilderness, surely to Jesus Ryan ain't that stupid to get the party decimated once again by being mudwings?

But forget all the above, the articles I'm reading, it seems many within FFG aren't too happy about it either, right up to ministerial positions.

If what I'm reading about big names possibly being culled (Richard Burton in particular) things could deteriorate fairly quickly.

I'm hearing Michael Marin all over the airwaves again...he has been missing in action for months now really.

This is him 'all in' to use a poker analogy. It's now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,454 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So who is biting at this Framework Document?

Has anyone been positive about it?

Well none of the three soft-left parties have closed the door categorically, it seems:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0416/1130804-politics-government-formation/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm hearing Michael Marin all over the airwaves again...he has been missing in action for months now really.

This is him 'all in' to use a poker analogy. It's now or never.

Lots of Twitter users posting this image this morning.

Take a look at these search results: https://twitter.com/hashtag/todaysor?s=09

IMG-20200416-103202.jpg

Language being used such as "power grab on the back of a health pandemic".

It's not going to end well for Michaél i reckon.

IMG-20200416-103202.jpg

There's a video clip of him categorically ruling out a coalition with FG too. Says a lot about the media that he just did a broadcast and wasn't asked about it at all as far as I hear. He was just allowed to do a PPB on behalf of FF

• Advertisement

There's a video clip of him categorically ruling out a coalition with FG too. Says a lot about the media that he just did a broadcast and wasn't asked about it at all as far as I hear. He was just allowed to do a PPB on behalf of FF

I'm in the office and didn't get to hear the interview, I'll have to make do with the podcast when it goes up, going by the twitteratti, it seems the interview went down like a lead balloon.

Taoiseach at any cost by the sounds of things.

I'm in the office and didn't get to hear the interview, I'll have to make do with the podcast when it goes up, going by the twitteratti, it seems the interview went down like a lead balloon.

Taoiseach at any cost by the sounds of things.

The 'Do you think Leo respects you' question and answer was truly cringe.

The 'Do you think Leo respects you' question and answer was truly cringe.

Apparently he took "almost as long to answer that question as Leo did when he was asked if he had ever taken drugs" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A lot of empty can rattling around here this morning.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Which is exactly what this is.

It will never be forgotten.

• Advertisement

A lot of empty can rattling around here this morning.

Probably because there is nothing in the can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

IMG-20200416-103202.jpg

Depends on who you follow on Twitter I suppose..
    That said,at least Leo said he would consider it as a last resort
    Political parties are full of examples of about faces
    Nothing new there

Probably because there is nothing in the can.

There about 20-25 billion in play. The Apple tax, NAMA dividend and of the economy recovers another 5 billion in bank shares

The empty cans are all giving reason not to form a government, the money says different and the worst days in Government are better than the best days in opposition.

Slava Ukrainii

There about 2/-25 billion in play

That's not the 'can' we are talking about.

We are talking about a nebulous plan concocted by the power swap parties.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Depends on who you follow on Twitter I suppose..
    That said,at least Leo said he would consider it as a last resort
    Political parties are full of examples of about faces
    Nothing new there

What you talking about "follow" :confused:

It's trending on twitter, you understand the difference in the two I assume?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am delighted FF and FG are being forced together. The end of the civil war nonsense.

That's not the 'can' we are talking about.

We are talking about a nebulous plan concocted by the power swap parties.

How can you make up plan when you can not see what's ahead. FF and FG have very similar policy platforms. Difference are miniscule you divy up the ministerial posts and get on with it.

If you can get another party on board well and good if not few bypass'd will sort it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

the power swap parties.

Would power swap electorate not be a more appropriate term? As the recent election has shown, if the electorate are not on board with the "swap", then it won't work.

The electorate could have chosen others over the years (Labour, PDs, etc) but always had FG and FF as the biggest two parties parties prior to now.

christy c wrote: »
    Would power swap electorate not be a more appropriate term? As the recent election has shown, if the electorate are not on board with the "swap", then it won't work.

The electorate could have chosen others over the years (Labour, PDs, etc) but always had FG and FF as the biggest two parties parties prior to now.

Yes, the ever dwindling power swap electorate. Sense surely comes dripping slow.

It should have been abundantly clear after 2011(and was to quite a few, myself included) that these two would never change as long as they can control the power. The 'game', that they are different is up now as they coalesce to carry on.

Yes, the ever dwindling power swap electorate. Sense surely comes dripping slow.

It should have been abundantly clear after 2011(and was to quite a few, myself included) that these two would never change as long as they can control the power. The 'game', that they are different is up now as they coalesce to carry on.

So are we agreed, power swap electorate is more appropriate then given that they, not the parties decide?

Thought you said before that you believed Enda in 2016, maybe it was someone else and if so apologies.

• Advertisement

So are we agreed, power swap electorate is more appropriate then given that they, not the parties decide?

Thought you said before that you believed Enda in 2016, maybe it was someone else and if so apologies.

I decided to give him a chance - again. Something I thoroughly regret.

And no, I don't think you can say that people voted for this arrangement. This is our own century long way of doing business and it stinks to high heaven. A view that seems to be shared widely if you look at vox pops and social media where it it getting roundly and properly roasted.

I decided to give him a chance - again. Something I thoroughly regret.

And no, I don't think you can say that people voted for this arrangement. This is our own century long way of doing business and it stinks to high heaven. A view that seems to be shared widely if you look at vox pops and social media where it it getting roundly and properly roasted.

If it was abundantly clear to you after 2011 that they wouldn't change it is very strange that you would give another chance.

I wasn't talking about the current arrangement, you keep repeating the power swap parties, I'm asking if you agree that the power swap electorate is more appropriate?

If it was abundantly clear to you after 2011 that they wouldn't change it is very strange that you would give another chance.

Did you see the words 'should have..' in that post?
    I wasn't talking about the current arrangement, you keep repeating the power swap parties, I'm asking if you agree that the power swap electorate is more appropriate?

No, because people vote for parties. I have no doubt that FF supporters believed they would have had a 50 seat majority this time.

Did you see the words 'should have..' in that post?

You said "... and was to quite a few, myself included", I took that as meaning that it was abundantly clear to you.

Fair enough, we disagree on the second part. I think people vote for parties they think represent them best, if the electorate were not happy with the swap they could have changed that 30 years ago.

You said "... and was to quite a few, myself included", I took that as meaning that it was abundantly clear to you.

Meaning 'after' 2011, Kenny talked about two terms...I gave him another chance in 2016 against my better judgement...my fault and mistake.
    Fair enough, we disagree on the second part. I think people vote for parties they think represent them best, if the electorate were not happy with the swap they could have changed that 30 years ago.

They are losing vote share all the time. It's clear more and more are unhappy. How many more will this move cast adrift?

They are losing vote share all the time. It's clear more and more are unhappy. How many more will this move cast adrift?

I'm still a bit lost on the timing of when it became clear to you but I'll park that as it's not really important.

I agree it probably will cast more adrift, I'd be hoping that a centre right party would emerge from all this. Many, including myself would jump at that chance to vote for them. Whether that would be enough to make much of a difference I dont know, but it might act as an antidote to the Bertie style spending that is becoming the dominant force in Irish politics (Coronavirus aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What you talking about "follow" :confused:

It's trending on twitter, you understand the difference in the two I assume?

That only confirms the stereotype of Shinnerbots dominating Twitter.

blanch152 wrote: »

Not hard to check that out and it doesn't, if you look at the range of people posting.
    Nice scare story though, that I'm sure many will take your word on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Would power swap electorate not be a more appropriate term?
    Shush!
    The memo says FF,FG,Labour and gene pool independents or more than half of voters don't count
    They are power swap voters
    Scum basically
    Cubaesqe mindset in reality

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Disillusioned FF voters are shinnerbots now?

That theory is almost as credible as a rabid partitionist completely and utterly obsessed with Sinn Fein claiming they're a green voter.**

Almost.

Anyway, I see you've moved on now to persecuting anyone that says anything negative about your new found hero, Michaél.

You're putting out a lot of fires in a lot of places it seems.

** Not aimed at anyone in particular, just using the ridiculousness of that scenario as an analogy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement