Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

efanton wrote: »
    How may people working in Dublin city actually live in Dublin city?
    I'd imagine there's nearly as many commuting from outside Dublin as living in it.

The problem with the Green policies is they simply will not work. It would be great if everyone had the option of public transport, but most dont.
    The green policies assume that there is no transition, you just spend a heap of money and hey presto everyone is using public transport. It simply doesnt work like that.

Even if all this infrastructure could be built overnight, the Green's have no solutions for public transport outside the m50.
    You cant put a Luas or bus network in every town in the country.
    Irish Rail refuses to stop at the smaller towns, and even if they invested in more carriages many of our train stations are incapable of taking longer trains.

Instead of carbon taxes they should scrap the motor tax and transfer it to fuel prices so that an equivalent amount of revenue is collected. The those that use their cars most, or those that have SUV's and 2.0 litre passats will think to change their cars to something smaller, or something that is more fuel efficient.

We all understand that we have to switch to more fuel efficient transport, but when most families cant even imagine having the money to buy a new electric/hybrid car how is that going to happen. The problem is no party has come up with a transition plan and that is what really is needed.

Fuel is already taxed at the moment. For over 10 years the government has handed electric and hybrid grants, all sorts of incentives, no Vrt on imports for electric and people continue to buy diesel. Look at motor forum and people going on about what a great drive it is, petrol is far superior to diesel anyway

Simple fact is Dublin is tiny compared to other European cities so should be easier to put in public transport, it’s been discussed to death but the Irish person is lazy, it’s easier to roll out of bed and get into a car than get public transport.

You have a lot of negatives in that post, commuter hubs like M3 parkway are available, smaller towns don’t need luas but the major cities need to look at options.

Loads of options available which could roll out public transport to large sections of Dublin and other cities, if they had a tax for entering Dublin at rush hour like London it would help

Electric cars start at maybe 5k or less now. Don’t say they can’t be used outside a city as I know people all over ireland using for years in the middle of no where. Hybrids are available....

The transition is easy, the problem is people don’t want to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Hypocrisy enshrined in a single post, well done.

I've no bile for Harris, nor would I dismiss anyone suffering from Covid19 to score points. I see your standards rise and fall depending on who is getting the abuse.
    They went and purchased their own from a private supplier, much like Louise O'Reilly is trying to get the HSE to buy equipment from a friend of hers.

Great. Hopefully it's a good deal.

When Denis O'Brien gets all those contracts are we to believe nobody in FG is aware of who he is? Is that your point with the O'Reilly thing, she knows a contractor? What are you suggesting?

denis-obrien-e1465306961413.jpg

13358117395_e69fe13da2_b.jpg

health.jpg

Larry-800x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bowie wrote: »
    I've no bile for Harris, nor would I dismiss anyone suffering from Covid19 to score points. I see your standards rise and fall depending on who is getting the abuse.

When Denis O'Brien gets all those contracts are we to believe nobody in FG is aware of who he is? Is that your point with the O'Reilly thing, she knows a contractor? What are you suggesting?

denis-obrien-e1465306961413.jpg

13358117395_e69fe13da2_b.jpg

health.jpg

Larry-800x400.jpg

Far as I know all she said was 'she had a contact'. That has now become a 'friend' or a 'consignment found on the side of the road'...nudge nudge wink wink.

The spin is in. :)

Far as I know all she said was 'she had a contact'. That has now become a 'friend' or a 'consignment found on the side of the road'...nudge nudge wink wink.

The spin is in. :)

I've zero issue with private business people doing business. Politicians getting a bad deal for the tax payer time again with the same people is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

How many more SiteServ's will it take,, How many more sweet deals will FG give their inner circle before we grab our pitchforks.

And at the cabinet table, the FG wide boys will eat the others for a snack. And will FF and the GP have to leave the room, when jobs for Dinny are being discussed ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

satguy wrote: »
    How many more SiteServ's will it take,, How many more sweet deals will FG give their inner circle before we grab our pitchforks.

And at the cabinet table, the FG wide boys will eat the others for a snack. And will FF and the GP have to leave the room, when jobs for Dinny are being discussed ??

I asked you a few questions about the private hospitals this morning- any chance of some answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

christy c wrote: »
    I asked you a few questions about the private hospitals this morning- any chance of some answers?

It's a terrible deal. The private hospitals were price takers in the current situation and would have been lucky to keep the lights on. Government could have gotten away with paying them a fraction of the reported numbers yet again their suspiciously weak negotiation skills come to the fore.

smurgen wrote: »
    It's a terrible deal. The private hospitals were price takers in the current situation and would have been lucky to keep the lights on. Government could have gotten away with paying them a fraction of the reported numbers yet again their suspiciously weak negotiation skills come to the fore.

I was referring to the conspiracy theory that this was just being done because the virus also affects the rich.

The speed at which the hospitals were secured was impressive and necessary. But I think you got mixed up, the private hospitals had the beds that the nation desperately needed (they were in a seller's market), so we were the price takers.

You mean this,, the €115 million each per month Leo is paying Dinny and Larry.

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-private-hospital-deal-5076554-Apr2020/

I know it not the big bucks that laying cable or installing new ESB smart meters might pay, but it will do for now.

The when FG find a patsy to make up the numbers with FF, it will be back to normal.

You mean this

No, I mean the conspiracy theory I replied to this morning and asked some follow up questions.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a big 5G phone licence that was to be awarded,, It is now on hold due to the virus outbreak.

Maybe FG might change our tax laws so that the boss does not have to fly off to Malta,, ya never know, tax laws are only for schmucks.

Isn't there a big 5G phone licence that was to be awarded,, It is now on hold due to the virus outbreak.

Maybe FG might change our tax laws so that the boss does not have to fly off to Malta,, ya never know, tax laws are only for schmucks.

Will I take it that you're not going to answer and spew more rubbish instead?

Edit: maybe they gave Dinny a head start on the 5g so that we would all contract coronavirus and then have to use his hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Fuel is already taxed at the moment. For over 10 years the government has handed electric and hybrid grants, all sorts of incentives, no Vrt on imports for electric and people continue to buy diesel. Look at motor forum and people going on about what a great drive it is, petrol is far superior to diesel anyway

My point was if you scrapped motor tax and put up the price of a litre of fuel to compensate for that lost revenue. If diesel was 10 cents a litre more expensive it would be far more persuasive in getting people to switch.

Those grants work for people that already can spend 15k+ on a car. The majority of families would think spending 5k on a car is too much and simply could not afford to even avail of those grants. How is that scheme going to persuade them to go green? Its no good putting in a scheme that will help the minority of people who are well off and ignore the majority of people who are not. I'm not suggesting the government start giving away cars, but by transferring the motor tax to the cost of fuel, it would persuade those that could not avail of those grants to consider a smaller car or more fuel efficient engine.

You have a lot of negatives in that post, commuter hubs like M3 parkway are available, smaller towns don’t need luas but the major cities need to look at options.
    I did not intend on being negative. Yes all the schemes are welcome and move in the right direction. But the Green party seem to forget that a large proportion of the population does not live in Dublin or Cork but instead live in rural areas. The reality is public transport unless heavily subsidised will never be rolled out to where these people live.

Electric cars start at maybe 5k or less now.
    I'd love to see some examples. Are you talking about donedeal second hand cars? Would there be sufficient numbers available?
    The transition is easy, the problem is people don’t want to do it

There is no transition plan. A transition plan would have to be one that delivers across the entire country.

No, I mean the conspiracy theory I replied to this morning and asked some follow up questions.

Conspiracy Theory ?

Fact ..

Lowry and FG helped O'Brien get mobile licence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0322/298935-moriarty_background/

Until someone does some time behind bars,, this will keep coming back to bite FG.

Who turned the indo into the sindo,, people were gagged if they said too much.

https://villagemagazine.ie/profile-denis-obrien/

I rest my case ..

eamon-dunphy-gagged.jpg

Conspiracy Theory?

Yes, did you see my post from this morning? You're just copying and pasting things you dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nonsense, pure nonsense. Think about it for a minute.

If only the public hospitals were taking Corona virus patients, wouldn’t people be paying whatever was asked to go to a private hospital with their. back problem or their bad kidneys.

The economics of supply and demand aren’t understood at a basic level by Sinn Fein.

Bowie wrote: »

So, you support deals for contacts so long as they are Sinn Fein contacts but not FG contacts.

Glad we cleared that question up, we are now in Animal Farm territory.

Will I take it that you're not going to answer and spew more rubbish instead?

Edit: maybe they gave Dinny a head start on the 5g so that we would all contract coronavirus and then have to use his hospitals?
    There is at least one SF councillor who believes it was all caused by 5G masts.

Yes, did you see my post from this morning? You're just copying and pasting things you dont like.

Yes I did, you got annoyed when I pointed out that when we had the hospital bed crisis, and the trolley crisis,, Harris had no funds, as it was mostly poor people that found themselfs on trollies and died.

Rich people had medical insurance,, but now so many people are sick,, Rich in their 70's FG voters.

Now we need beds,, lots of people are sick, including lots of rich FG voters.
    Now there is money for private beds,, and as it turns out people need not have died during the hospital bed crisis, and the trolley crisis after all.

We had money,, lots of it..

To be fair his company renting us the beds is based in the Isle of Man.
    So, you support deals for contacts so long as they are Sinn Fein contacts but not FG contacts.

Glad we cleared that question up, we are now in Animal Farm territory.

You didn't clarify Blanch.
    What's the issue you have with O'Reilly's open and public suggestion?
    You rode in to back up a chap making a conspiracy out of MLMD and Tubbs' run in with Covid19, (the 19th Covid as per Harris). TBF, you did make light of Mary Lou being overly cautious regarding the possibility of having it. Consistent I suppose.

You are being dishonest here.
    Why you get so irked and defensive over things of intetest to any tax payer is a mystery,

I don't have a problem with O'Brien getting every state contract on deals brokered by Lowry, if it's a good deal for the tax payer. That's the important thing here. Your point scoring on this is pathetic.

• Advertisement

There is at least one SF councillor who believes it was all caused by 5G masts.

Oh are we gonna play the crazy and corrupt councillor game again... cool...hold on until I get my folder of candidates...:) :)

You are some piece of work blanch..I'll give you that.

Yes I did, you got annoyed when I pointed out that when we had the hospital bed crisis, and the trolley crisis,, Harris had no funds, as it was mostly poor people that found themselfs on trollies and died.

Rich people had medical insurance,, but now so many people are sick,, Rich in their 70's FG voters.

Now we need beds,, lots of people are sick, including lots of rich FG voters.
    Now there is money for private beds,, and as it turns out people need not have died during the hospital bed crisis, and the trolley crisis after all.

We had money,, lots of it..

Rubbish, as I already pointed out. The "rich in their 70s FG voters" would already have health insurance, and therefore have access to the private hospitals. So taking over the private hospitals would have the opposite effect (in your fantasy world), as the poor would be taking up space previously reserved for them.

Also what is the cut off for rich/poor? How do doctors/nurses confirm that someone has not voted for FG before leaving them on a trolley to die?

This is even worse gibberish than anyone in the Dail, probably in to Gemma O'Doherty territory.

Nonsense, pure nonsense. Think about it for a minute.

If only the public hospitals were taking Corona virus patients, wouldn’t people be paying whatever was asked to go to a private hospital with their. back problem or their bad kidneys.

The economics of supply and demand aren’t understood at a basic level by Sinn Fein.

Go on explain the economics of it to us.
    What would private hospitals do to private patients that presented with Corona ? Turn them away? Or refer them to public facilities where they'd pay the government?

Seems like the care home owners are starting to point the finger. This is going to get very interesting.

"Home owner Lucy Flynn said she asked if it was possible to do blanket testing of the residents and staff at a time when eight to nine residents were presenting with symptoms of Covid-19 three and a half weeks ago. However, she said that offer was refused by the HSE.

She described the scale of death in the home as “devastating and heartbreaking” and said it might have been avoided if residents and staff had all been tested earlier.

“If that had happened, we would be in a far different place to where we are now,” she said.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/owner-describes-death-of-seven-residents-in-nursing-home-as-truly-heartbreaking-1.4234601

It turns out, that most of our IND TD's are tainted.. And while we do have some real IND TD's,, they are few.

We do however have large groups of Gene Pool IND's ...

FF gene pool would be the likes of the healy rae's .. small time bar and shop owners. They think John Delaney was a great man, there might even be a free pint waiting for him down in Kerry.

FG gene pool IND's ,, Now there are the real wide boys,, ex bankers, ex newspaper business editor's,, like Ross and ex businessmen like Lowry. Sharks one and all.
    These FG gene pool IND's are who we should never again let near a government cabinet table.

How many more hockey pitches does wesley college need..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I shouldn't laugh, but it's funny as hell in light of his gaff.

FB-IMG-1587682448389.jpg

Harris-15.

I bet that sticks. :D

Go on explain the economics of it to us.
    What would private hospitals do to private patients that presented with Corona ? Turn them away? Or refer them to public facilities where they'd pay the government?

Many of them do that already with other illnesses.

Refer them to public facilities where the patient isn’t charged and neither is the private hospital.

Seems like the care home owners are starting to point the finger. This is going to get very interesting.

"Home owner Lucy Flynn said she asked if it was possible to do blanket testing of the residents and staff at a time when eight to nine residents were presenting with symptoms of Covid-19 three and a half weeks ago. However, she said that offer was refused by the HSE.

She described the scale of death in the home as “devastating and heartbreaking” and said it might have been avoided if residents and staff had all been tested earlier.

“If that had happened, we would be in a far different place to where we are now,” she said.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/owner-describes-death-of-seven-residents-in-nursing-home-as-truly-heartbreaking-1.4234601

So Sinn Fein support private nursing home owners, but oppose private hospital owners, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So Sinn Fein support private nursing home owners, but oppose private hospital owners, go figure.

Where do you get that from?

• Advertisement

Where are you getting SF from there?
    You need to get down on the floor with a stick and get them Shinner bogeymen out from under the bed blanch. No Green supporter should live like that!

The owner never mentioned SF, she spoke of an issue she has. Jumping onto the ramparts for FG is not the answer here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement