Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Keep digging.....hahaha

What? I saw a photo of Leo at another photo op, standing too close, in a group, in an assessment center without masks.
    You want digging talk to your pal David Bailey ;)
    Your very desperate now.....

Says the lad with a one line gripe for every slight against Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bowie wrote: »
    What? I saw a photo of Leo at another photo op, standing too close, in a group, in an assessment center without masks.
    You want digging talk to your pal David Bailey ;)

Says the lad with a one line gripe for every slight against Fine Gael.

A doctor is helping out testing people and you lot are slagging him off

Real classy guys!!! I would say new low but it’s just your standard type of posting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A doctor is helping out testing people and you lot are slagging him off

Real classy guys!!! I would say new low but it’s just your standard type of posting!!

TBH, I have been involved in many many events that were visited by a minister or on a number of occasions the current Taoiseach and the 'visit' just saps up everything else while they are there.
    I'd imagine this PR stunt was the same, a lot of people's time taken up just to get him in there.
    Do the job you are supposed to be doing Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wasn't the initial response that Leo would only be doing assessments by phone (because of the obvious dangers of the Taoiseach being infected and unwittingly giving it to the cabinet)?

Fairplay to Leo. I'm not slagging him.

I think he's extremely brave and noble and cannot believe the extraordinary luck the travelling community had by Leo being randomly selected to be assigned to their community.

TBH, I have been involved in many many events that were visited by a minister or on a number of occasions the current Taoiseach and the 'visit' just saps up everything else while they are there.
    I'd imagine this PR stunt was the same, a lot of people's time taken up just to get him in there.

Wasn’t it the SF groups spreading around about Leo was a doctor and why he wasn’t helping out?

Now it’s “why isn’t he doing the job he is supposed to be”

Hahahahaha.....

Yes everyone believe you went to many many events with Minister? Arlene come to Lisnaskea much?

• Advertisement

Wasn’t it the SF groups spreading around about Leo was a doctor and why he wasn’t helping out?

Now it’s “why isn’t he doing the job he is supposed to be”

Hahahahaha.....

Yes everyone believe you went to many many events with Minister? Arlene come to Lisnaskea much?

I shook Arlene's hand when she came to the Ulster Final Shef. She doesn't bite you know.

I shook Arlene's hand when she came to the Ulster Final Shef. She doesn't bite you know.

Did I say she did? That’s a bit of a stupid statement isn’t it?

Did I say she did? That’s a bit of a stupid statement isn’t it?

No you didn't. But why did you mention her in particular? Is she the only minister you could think? Or was it just a stupid remark?

No you didn't. But why did you mention her in particular? Is she the only minister you could think? Or was it just a stupid remark?

Bit brainfarty considering Foster actually lives a few miles outside Lisnaskea. :D

That's like asking if Leo visits Blanch much.

She is based in Enniskillen, just up the toad from you

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Bit brainfarty considering Foster actually lives a few miles outside Lisnaskea. :D

That's like asking if Leo visits Blanch much.

No, the reason Shef mentioned Lisnaskea is that he wants to continue the lie he told about where I said I was from. The lie he still hasn't backed up.

I don't know where Arlene lives now, I thought it was Belfast actually, but she originally comes from a place called Dernawilt which is about 2 miles from where I am typing this.

No, the reason Shef mentioned Lisnaskea is that he wants to continue the lie he told about where I said I was from. The lie he still hasn't backed up.

I don't know where Arlene lives now, I thought it was Belfast actually, but she originally comes from a place called Dernawilt which is about 2 miles from where I am typing this.

It’s ok Francie, I wouldn’t admit I was from lisnaskea either....awful kip....or as you would call it ‘skea

Hahahahaha

It’s ok Francie, I wouldn’t admit I was from lisnaskea either....awful kip....or as you would call it ‘skea

Hahahahaha

Keep the lie up Shef. You are the one who looks bad here. You've lied about this, what else have you lied about?

Brookeborough these days. About 4 or 5 miles from Lisnaskea*

*A colleague of mine has worked on their property before.

Brookeborough these days. About 4 or 5 miles from Lisnaskea*

*A colleague of mine has worked on their property before.

Brookeborough = God's own country. :)

Brookeborough = God's own country. :)

Does she come into skea much for a cuppa tea?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Keep digging.....hahaha
    Your very desperate now.....

Hahahahaha
    Does she come into skea much for a cuppa tea?

Do not post in this thread again

Paschal is next up on Newstalk with Pat Kenny for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Paschal is next up on Newstalk with Pat Kenny for anyone interested.

He's ruled out taking a pay cut. That would have been an easy show of solidarity ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    He's ruled out taking a pay cut. That would have been an easy show of solidarity ffs.

How come? Aren't people still doing their jobs still getting paid?

Politicians and senior civil servants haven't had their pay restored yet to 2008 levels. They are still below the pre-crash rates.

The people who are working to save lives are nurses, doctors, firemen, gardai etc. The people who are working to keep public services going remotely are teachers, lecturers, support services, social workers, politicians, civil servants, etc. Why should any of them take a pay cut in those circumstances?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Politicians and senior civil servants haven't had their pay restored yet to 2008 levels. They are still below the pre-crash rates.

The people who are working to save lives are nurses, doctors, firemen, gardai etc. The people who are working to keep public services going remotely are teachers, lecturers, support services, social workers, politicians, civil servants, etc. Why should any of them take a pay cut in those circumstances?

Apparently there are 100,000 who haven't gotten their due yet. Some might call the lionising of these people by politicians getting payrises as hypocritical and cynical vote grabbing exploitation.

Others might handwave it away as being overcritical and always whinging.
    But there you have it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-than-10000-nurses-yet-to-receive-their-agreed-55k-pay-deal-996834.html?fbclid=IwAR136UkCW6LQ1fkdFH08jcF8xWz24mp-YY5qNZ9H-USMCrr5S7NUqnU-YOI

Apparently there are 100,000 who haven't gotten their due yet. Some might call the lionising of these people by politicians getting payrises as hypocritical and cynical vote grabbing exploitation.

Others might handwave it away as being overcritical and always whinging.
    But there you have it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-than-10000-nurses-yet-to-receive-their-agreed-55k-pay-deal-996834.html?fbclid=IwAR136UkCW6LQ1fkdFH08jcF8xWz24mp-YY5qNZ9H-USMCrr5S7NUqnU-YOI

Blatant spin and fake news again.

What politicians are getting payrises? Paschal ruling out pay cuts for public servants has turned into politicians getting payrises that others aren't.

That is some level of distortion and spin from you.

Blatant spin and fake news again.

What politicians are getting payrises? Paschal ruling out pay cuts for public servants has turned into politicians getting payrises that others aren't.

That is some level of distortion and spin from you.

They got one recently, as nobody is complaining about it I presume that it has been processed for them. :confused::confused:

Nurses and frontline workers are waiting for theirs.

The politicians that are quick to lionise these people, recently fought them tooth and nail on those payrises and now we find out they STILL haven't gotten them and opposition parties are having to pressure them to do it.

Meanwhile Paschal has said 'what they have they hold on to'. I think everyone can make their own minds up about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Their pay isn't to be restored it was cut. You don't have your pay restored from ten years ago you accept that reality has changed. The private sector is now facing mass pay cuts. I know of several US manufacturing in med device and pharma here in cork that will be getting 20% pay cuts. There is also going to be many others in the private sector lose jobs outright. However the ministers can't show a bit of solidarity with these workers. And mixing minister pay in with other public sector pay is muddying the waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

smurgen wrote: »
    . I know of several US manufacturing in med device and pharma here in cork that will be getting 20% pay cuts.
    Name them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I worked in the public service pre 2008 and even then many of us knew that Bertie's benchmarking had made our pay, conditions and allowances excessively generous, all things considered. Especially since the actual services weren't improving and there were major performance issues, bureaucratic problems and chronic absenteeism.

So perhaps returning to 2008 levels is not a fair comparison in terms of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

So its looking like the green will have to compromise on their 7% red-line reduction in carbon emissions

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/it-is-not-clear-if-green-party-s-emissions-reduction-target-is-feasible-1.4238995

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/greens-7-carbon-cut-requires-far-reaching-changes-and-40bn-experts-say-1.4241713

https://www.rte.ie/news/environment/2020/0429/1135712-green-party-emission-demands-could-cost-40-billion/

A UCC report claims that to reduce emissions by 7% will require significant investment, anywhere up to 40 billion.

It will also require electric generations to eliminate nearly all forms of fossil fuels, and potentially a significant reduction in the national herd as agricultural carbon emissions will have to reduce by up to 80%

The use of peat, coal and fuel oil will have to stop as a means to heat homes.

Transport will have to change dramatically, nearly all cars will have to be EV, trains and haulage vehicles will have to switch to electricity or bio fuels, and there will have to be a dramatic increase in the use of public transport.

Personally I cant see any government accepting such a dramatic change in such a short time, being able to fully deliver that change in a ten year period, or accepting that they will have to invest up to 40 billion to make these changes happen.

The current carbon reduction policy, for which the government currently hasn't met existing targets, promises to deliver a reduction of 3% by 2030.

What ever way you read it, it seems that the Green are asking the impossible of FF and FG.

So are we to expect the Green caving in on their red Line 7% and FF/FG promising to spend Billions that the country probably will not have once this crisis is over in a compromise to get as close to the 7% as is practice, or will the government formation talks collapse if the Green stand firm?

At this point I am half hoping these talks collapse.
    FF are at it again before they even get their foot in the door spending billions they dont have, while at the same time FG are promising no tax or USC increases. If this is how a government intends to start out in its term of office we can only imagine the clusterf*ck that will happen within a year or two.

They got one recently, as nobody is complaining about it I presume that it has been processed for them. :confused::confused:

Nurses and frontline workers are waiting for theirs.

The politicians that are quick to lionise these people, recently fought them tooth and nail on those payrises and now we find out they STILL haven't gotten them and opposition parties are having to pressure them to do it.

Meanwhile Paschal has said 'what they have they hold on to'. I think everyone can make their own minds up about that.

Recently?

Do you mean the 1.75% paid last September (7 months ago) that every public servant including nurses and politicians got?

Who fought them tooth and nail on those payrises? There are processes for public service pay determination, national agreements, and the Government haven't broken those, no matter what propaganda you either read or proclaim.

What payrise are frontline workers (other than nurses) supposed to be waiting on that has been negotiated and agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would agree, the whole Leo going back to medicine thing is a complete PR stunt. You wont see Jeff Bezos stacking boxes in an Amazon warehouse during this pandemic because guess what his talents have much more value in the boardroom actually doing his job and running the company successfully.

That aside I dont know about other people but if I had a GP and found out that they hadnt practiced medicine in 10 years I'd be quickly finding a different GP. Medical science moves very fast and doctors attend conferences at least once and often twice or more a year to keep up with the numerous changes, advancements and medical research. New drugs come on the market all the time and need discussion, older drugs show unexpected side effects and doctors need to spread this knowledge collaboratively in the interests of public health.

Leo hasn't practiced medicine in over a decade which means his medical knowledge is well out of date. I hope no-one has given him a prescription pad, when he was practicing medicine some doctors thought that Lariam was a great drug for preventing malaria, nowadays we know the side effects of it are worse than catching malaria itself with over 120 Irish soldiers suing the State because it sent them completely around the bend. 11 of them have gone on to commit suicide and dozens more are stuck in a permanent clinical depression.

Theres very good medical reasons why doctors need to be constantly topping up their knowledge, personally I wouldnt want one who hasnt being doing that and hasnt practised in 10 years.

• Advertisement

Recently?

Do you mean the 1.75% paid last September (7 months ago) that every public servant including nurses and politicians got?

Well within the last year is not 'recent'? :) Okie doke.
    Who fought them tooth and nail on those payrises? There are processes for public service pay determination, national agreements, and the Government haven't broken those, no matter what propaganda you either read or proclaim.

What payrise are frontline workers (other than nurses) supposed to be waiting on that has been negotiated and agreed?

Apologies, 'enhanced pay scales' if you wish to be precise.

And Nurses called off strike action because they got 'enhanced pay scales'. People usually only threaten strikes when their demands are being resisted.

I never said anything about the 'government breaking' anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement