Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well within the last year is not 'recent'? :) Okie doke.

Apologies, 'enhanced pay scales' if you wish to be precise.

And Nurses called off strike action because they got 'enhanced pay scales'. People usually only threaten strikes when their demands are being resisted.

I never said anything about the 'government breaking' anything.

So you are complaining about hospital administrators not implementing an agreement, and this is somehow Paschal's fault because he took a payrise last September when every public servant got a payrise (you know, the normal annual pay rise agreed by national agreement), at a time when pay rates in the private sector were rising at three times that rate?

By the way, in what world does threatening strike mean you are correct and justified?

What exactly are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I worked in the public service pre 2008 and even then many of us knew that Bertie's benchmarking had made our pay, conditions and allowances excessively generous, all things considered. Especially since the actual services weren't improving and there were major performance issues, bureaucratic problems and chronic absenteeism.

So perhaps returning to 2008 levels is not a fair comparison in terms of entitlement.

Given that there have been twelve years of rising costs of living, it is surprising that there are still public servants worse off than in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

What exactly are you trying to say?

It was you that had the rant about me saying that TD's got pay rises recently.

Good to see that you now accept that.

Now stop ranting about stuff that wasn't said and read my post again. Which really isn't that difficult to comprehend.
    Apparently there are 100,000 who haven't gotten their due yet. Some might call the lionising of these people by politicians getting payrises as hypocritical and cynical vote grabbing exploitation.

Others might handwave it away as being overcritical and always whinging.
    But there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Name them

I know of Boston Scientific, Stryker and GSK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

smurgen wrote: »

Well you are wrong on the middle one ,I know that for a fact
    So Are you also wrong on the other two?
    I'd say so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Some might call the lionising of these people by politicians getting payrises as hypocritical and cynical vote grabbing exploitation.
    Blatant spin and fake news again.

What politicians are getting payrises?.
    They got one recently, as nobody is complaining about it I presume that it has been processed for them. :confused::confused:.
    Recently?

Do you mean the 1.75% paid last September (7 months ago) that every public servant including nurses and politicians got?
    Well within the last year is not 'recent'? :) Okie doke.

If politicians received a pay increase recently, but recently is not within the last year, can you please tell us what pay increase you are on about.

Unless you mean the one in Northern Ireland from January 2020.

atticu wrote: »
    If politicians received a pay increase recently, but recently is not within the last year, can you please tell us what pay increase you are on about.

Unless you mean the one in Northern Ireland from January 2020.

Well within the last year (7 months ago) is 'recent' imo.

If you have a different interpretation of 'recent', fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think you were supposed to write "recent months" for it to meet the pedantry test Francie.

Can anyone elaborate on what is and is not an acceptable amount of time to have passed by before some event that has happened is no longer deemed as "recently" anymore?

I mean seriously, what are we talking here in time terms?

Seconds?
    hours?
    Days?
    Weeks?

Like could "a month ago" be aptly described as recent, but six weeks ago could not?

Will anyone clarify?

I'd say so

100%. In fact I have many friends in the middle one. Do you want me to tell you what departments are due the 20% pay cut and what ones aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'd say so

I personally just got a 15 percent cut and am in a large MN. Its coming for many

• Advertisement

So you are referring to the pay increase in September 2019 which all public and civil servants, including politicians received, but you are claiming that not all public and civil servants received the increase.

Well, that is some claim.

I hope that you have reported this to the relevant authorities.

I also hope that they have looked at the proof that you presented to them.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I think you were supposed to write "recent months" for it to meet the pedantry test Francie.

Can anyone elaborate on what is and is not an acceptable amount of time to have passed by before some event that has happened is no longer deemed as "recently" anymore?

I mean seriously, what are we talking here in time terms?

Seconds?
    hours?
    Days?
    Weeks?

Like could "a month ago" be aptly described as recent, but six weeks ago could not?

Will anyone clarify?

Yes, it would be great if someone could clarify.

Fair play to the boyos of FG. Seems like the 5k limit the set til September has exemptions. At least they're pragmatic when it comes to important things like American football games. 35k visitors going by previous years and from one of the most infected parts of the world.

https://twitter.com/cncpinky/status/1255943336436908034?s=19

100%. In fact I have many friends in the middle one. Do you want me to tell you what departments are due the 20% pay cut and what ones aren't?

Well I've a senior manager in there related to me and another engineer who tell me you are 100% wrong

So you are referring to the pay increase in September 2019 which all public and civil servants, including politicians received, but you are claiming that not all public and civil servants received the increase.

Well, that is some claim.

I hope that you have reported this to the relevant authorities.

I also hope that they have looked at the proof that you presented to them.

I counterpointed politicians getting rises and refusing a paycut with a 100,000 of the people they were lionising still waiting on their enhanced pay scales and allowances and asked people to make their own minds up about that.

It is just good old hypocrisy in my book.

I counterpointed politicians getting rises and refusing a paycut with a 100,000 of the people they were lionising still waiting on their enhanced pay scales and allowances and asked people to make their own minds up about that.

It is just good old hypocrisy in my book.

Wait, What...

Just back it up a bit.

Now you are saying that everyone who should have received that pay increase in September 2019 did receive it?

But, you are also claiming that some didn’t?

You also claim that politicians are refusing a pay cut - can you please let me know which public or civil servants took a pay cut in the last year, or refused a pay cut in the last year.

Well I've a senior manager in there related to me and another engineer who tell me you are 100% wrong

So you're saying operators aren't due a pay cut? The majority of workers across the 6 plants by the way Can you tell me what buildings they work in and I'll double check your claim.

Here's your Boston scientific backup btw

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/business/boston-scientific-cuts-pay-36000-workers-citing-revenue-drop-because-coronavirus/

Wait, What...

Just back it up a bit.

Now you are saying that everyone who should have received that pay increase in September 2019 did receive it?

But, you are also claiming that some didn’t?

You also claim that politicians are refusing a pay cut - can you please let me know which public or civil servants took a pay cut in the last year, or refused a pay cut in the last year.

1. I didn't say that nurses were waiting, the newspaper article I linked to, said it. If you know different, let's see your links/proof.

2. Paschal ruled out politicians taking a cut. See the news.

So you're saying operators aren't due a pay cut? The majority of workers across the 6 plants by the way Can you tell me what buildings they work in and I'll double check your claim.

I'm certainly not trading ping pong with you on that one on a public forum
    I'm just cast iron that you are wrong in relation to Stryker
    People reading can believe you or me but I do know if they go ask at the plant, they'll know soon that you are wrong
    I'm confident of that

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1255972937628352512

I get that the caretaker government had to take the ball and run with it for a bit. But it is a caretaker government and it seems to have forgotten that. Ministers (some of them lost their seats) are able to question NPHET advice apparently but nobody else is.

What I don't get is why the exclusion of others is going on.
    NPHET not releasing minutes, refusal to answer questions in the Dáil, bypassing the Dáil altogether (the 5 point plan being released tomorrow)

The 'arrogance of power'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I'd say so

I heard Boston Scientific are moving to 4 day weeks. Reduced demand for their products. They are already at 4 day weeks in the USA.

But I guess you know best?

1. I didn't say that nurses were waiting, the newspaper article I linked to, said it. If you know different, let's see your links/proof.

2. Paschal ruled out politicians taking a cut. See the news.

I have to assume that you forgot what you posted, as you did say that nurses are waiting.

They got one recently, as nobody is complaining about it I presume that it has been processed for them. :confused::confused:

Nurses and frontline workers are waiting for theirs.

Did Paschal say that public and civil servants were going to take pay cuts?
    Or are you trying to put a spin on what Pascal said?

I have to assume that you forgot what you posted, as you did say that nurses are waiting.

Did Paschal say that public and civil servants were going to take pay cuts?
    Or are you trying to put a spin on what Pascal said?

Blanch asked me what politicians had gotten payrises. I told him what I was referencing.
    I never said diddly about Paschal saying 'public and civil servants were going to take pay cuts'
    He was asked YESTERDAY would politicians be taking a paycut and he said No.

I said nothing that isn't based on a fact in other words. So deal with the point I made, maybe? Which was - counterpointing politicians taking their payrises and ruling out paycuts while 100,000 frontline workers are basically not even getting what was agreed for them. Meanwhile those same politicians are lionising the very same workers they won't stand up for in simple practical ways.
    It is IMO hypocritical.

Leo on the LLS tonight with Tubs for anyone interested.

I wonder if he'll be asked about the statement he gave about him offering his services to help out during this pandemic by doing non contact phone assessments only and how he wouldn't be allowing his voluntary work to be used for PR purposes versus the absolute luck and privilege the members of the travelling community in D15 had to have non other than the Taoiseach show up to conduct covid testing in their community?

NOTE TO FINE GAEL: If you want to dispel the impression that you are peopled by the arrogant - keep Colm Brophy off the airwaves as you kept Simon Harris and Eoghan and Enda locked up at key moments too.

Not often you hear a radio host threatening to turn off a politician's mic. Sean O'Rourke had to warn him several times there before issuing the final decree. :)

NOTE TO FINE GAEL: If you want to dispel the impression that you are peopled by the arrogant - keep Colm Brophy off the airwaves as you kept Simon Harris and Eoghan and Enda locked up at key moments too.

Not often you hear a radio host threatening to turn off a politician's mic. Sean O'Rourke had to warn him several times there before issuing the final decree. :)

What time was that at Francie - I will download the podcast to have a listen back on my upcoming drive here.

McMurphy wrote: »
    What time was that at Francie - I will download the podcast to have a listen back on my upcoming drive here.

It was the 'round up the week's events' segment he does on a Friday at the end of the show. Colm lost the plot trying to do what goes on here - shut down any criticism.

I heard Boston Scientific are moving to 4 day weeks. Reduced demand for their products. They are already at 4 day weeks in the USA.

But I guess you know best?
    As the general comment I replied to included a company I know a fair bit about this last 8 years,please forgive me for correcting incorrect information about it

stryker are going to be flat out with their products, I can only speak for them
    They have not reduced salaries
    Non essential workers have been told not to come in during the period of the stay at home directive
    Those who can't work from home are furloughed on full pay for a month,80% pay thereafter until the stay at home direction is lifted
    That is not a salary reduction and there are no plans to do so
    Demand is such that their share price has risen since the emergency started
    Not only that,they have a new intake of employees in cork this year none of whom have been furloughed ,all of whom take part in daily conference calls when working from home
    It's a super employer in my opinion and a great place to work with a large percentage under 30

• Advertisement

As the general comment I replied to included a company I know a fair bit about this last 8 years,please forgive me for correcting incorrect information about it

stryker are going to be flat out with their products, I can only speak for them
    They have not reduced salaries
    Non essential workers have been told not to come in during the period of the stay at home directive
    Those who can't work from home are furloughed on full pay for a month,80% pay thereafter until the stay at home direction is lifted
    That is not a salary reduction and there are no plans to do so
    Demand is such that their share price has risen since the emergency started
    Not only that,they have a new intake of employees in cork this year none of whom have been furloughed ,all of whom take part in daily conference calls when working from home
    It's a super employer in my opinion and a great place to work with a large percentage under 30

Stryker's overall share price is down as many of their key markets took hits like instruments the reason being that surgeries were cancelled due to covid in many hospitals worldwide. The CEO this week took a 50% pay cut to his base salary citing Covid impact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement