Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

smurgen wrote: »
    Stryker's overall share price is down as many of their key markets took hits like instruments the reason being that surgeries were cancelled due to covid in many hospitals worldwide. The CEO this week took a 50% pay cut to his base salary citing Covid impact.

Share price is up $20 actually...

How has Stryker's stock been impacted by COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
    Stryker's stock was trading at $175.62 on March 11th, 2020 when COVID-19 (Coronavirus) reached pandemic status according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Since then, SYK stock has increased by 9.7% and is now trading at $192.68.

Yes the board (in America)has taken a pay cut in common with many boards
    There is no instruction to cut salaries in Cork
    I do know there are in fact plans to ramp up production in readiness for world wide delayed elective procedures

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Blanch asked me what politicians had gotten payrises. I told him what I was referencing.
    I never said diddly about Paschal saying 'public and civil servants were going to take pay cuts'
    He was asked YESTERDAY would politicians be taking a paycut and he said No.

I said nothing that isn't based on a fact in other words. So deal with the point I made, maybe? Which was - counterpointing politicians taking their payrises and ruling out paycuts while 100,000 frontline workers are basically not even getting what was agreed for them. Meanwhile those same politicians are lionising the very same workers they won't stand up for in simple practical ways.
    It is IMO hypocritical.

You implied that politicians got a pay rise recently that was denied to others. It simply isn’t true and was complete spin on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    You implied that politicians got a pay rise recently that was denied to others. It simply isn’t true and was complete spin on your part.

No, because you have all sorts living in your head you chose to think that.

The article I linked to said 100,000 nurses had not gotten what was due to them. I parsed that to say:
    Apparently there are 100,000 who haven't gotten their due yet.

Not a single mention of a 'pay rise'. Any 'implications' are your own invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Mortelaro wrote: »

Stryker's stock was trading at $175.62 on March 11th, 2020 when COVID-19 (Coronavirus) reached pandemic status according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Since then, SYK stock has increased by 9.7% and is now trading at $192.68.

I do know there are in fact plans to ramp up production in readiness for world wide delayed elective procedures

Stock was at 225 on Feb 19th today it's at 182.5. I have no idea why you're lying about stuff so verifiably true.

"The response to the COVID-19 pandemic has included unprecedented measures to slow the spread of the virus taken by local governments and health care authorities globally, including the deferral of elective medical procedures and social contact restrictions, which have had a significant negative impact on Stryker’s operations and financial results."

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/04/30/2025723/0/en/Stryker-reports-first-quarter-2020-operating-results.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Mortelaro wrote: »

I do know there are in fact plans to ramp up production in readiness for world wide delayed elective procedures[/quote]

Stock was at 225 on Feb 19th today it's at 182.5. I have no idea why you're lying about stuff so verifiably true.

"The response to the COVID-19 pandemic has included unprecedented measures to slow the spread of the virus taken by local governments and health care authorities globally, including the deferral of elective medical procedures and social contact restrictions, which have had a significant negative impact on Stryker’s operations and financial results."

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/04/30/2025723/0/en/Stryker-reports-first-quarter-2020-operating-results.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

markodaly threadban lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Well it appears Simon Coveney has put the cat among the pigeons
    “Well if it decimates rural Ireland, we are not doing it. Okay let’s be very clear on that right now. We are not going to sign up to a programme for government that decimates rural Ireland. That will never happen. Okay, even if that means another election.”

Unusual for Simon Coveney, he is one of the few in FG that doesn't make a habit of putting their foot in their mouth.

Shortly after the Green's deputy Leader Catherine Martin had this to say.
    Speaking on RTÉ, Ms Martin said: “It’s quite shocking coming from the Tánaiste. This is not the Green Party’s 7 per cent, this really needs to be clarified, this target comes from an international agreement, a treaty, the Paris Agreement – it also matches the revised EU target in the European Green Deal.”

“The question should not be how do we achieve the 7 per cent, the actual question that needs to be asked is, is seven per cent enough? Now we have a case where the Tánaiste of the party, it was Fine Gael who signed this international document ... it’s quite frankly disturbing and why don’t they know how to do this if they signed the agreement in 2015?”

Ms Martin said that alarm bells were ringing, “alarm bells are also ringing for us when it comes to the provision of public housing and public land, they seem to want to pursue the private housing model still, what lessons have been learned there? Direct provision, it’s much more than the 7 per cent. It’s key social issues.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coveney-insists-he-has-not-ruled-out-a-7-emissions-target-1.4242908

It seems the the Green might actually stand their ground on the 7%, I personally didn't expect that.
    I just cant see this coalition happening, there's no way the country can afford the estimated 40 billion investment it would take to reach that 7% target, along with potentially reducing the national livestock herd dramatically to reduce emission in the agricultural sector by 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

efanton wrote: »
    Well it appears Simon Coveney has put the cat among the pigeons

Unusual for Simon Coveney, he is one of the few in FG that doesnt make a habit of putting their foot in their mouth.

Shortly after the Green's deputy Ledrer Catherine Martin had this to say.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coveney-insists-he-has-not-ruled-out-a-7-emissions-target-1.4242908

It seems the the Green might actually stand their ground on the 7%, I personally didn't expect that.
    I just cant see this coalition happening, there's no way the country can afford the estimated 40 billion investment it would take to reach that 7% target, along with potentially reducing the national livestock herd dramatically to reduce emission in the agricultural sector by 80%.

Listen to the very first sentence that comes out of her mouth during that podcast found here

Doesn't sound like the greens were ever fully on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

McMurphy wrote: »
    Listen to the very first sentence that comes out of her mouth during that podcast found here

Doesn't sound like the greens were ever fully on board.

Typical softy softy, no use when the blade has to be put down. Tell them to get out and leave in the group of independents that know how to play the system

I see a good few journalists getting very peeved on Twitter over Leo's refusal to take questions after his address to the nation this evening.

You would think the PR staff would have done more to remove the 'arrogant, it's our ball' image that hangs over the current FG party.

Guess we'll have to depend on Tubridy to get the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I see a good few journalists getting very peeved on Twitter over Leo's refusal to take questions after his address to the nation this evening.

You would think the PR staff would have done more to remove the 'arrogant, it's our ball' image that hangs over the current FG party.

All spin according to Yates. And 'no' Tubridy won't ask the hard questions, as he followed up with, 'Ryan is no Paxman'.

Sounds pretty spot on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Tubs does a good Fianna Fail by the fireside chat. He went easy on Kenny. I would guess he'll be all over Varadkar. His Fianna Fail genes might get a little dig in.

Bowie wrote: »
    Tubs does a good Fianna Fail by the fireside chat. He went easy on Kenny. I would guess he'll be all over Varadkar. His Fianna Fail genes might get a little dig in.

Getting the wine in and gonna play 'spot the edit'. :) Have a drink everytime there is one.

There’s a difference between a leader addressing the nation and a press conference.

There’s a difference between a leader addressing the nation and a press conference.

Indeed that was very dignified and well delivered
    Putting it side by side with other EU leaders, you'd have to be proud of your country

Bunreacht na hÉireann is the reason we have this current government so long
    Fionnán Sheehan's faux 'I've an indo sub to sell' anger last night to Ivan yates ignored that

It ignored that T.D's can't yet agree a new government and a majority do not want to work with Sinn Féin
    You'd be left wondering who was his anger directed at
    Ultimately his faux anger was against the election result because it's that which has us where we are and not some politicians exploring their least worst options or what they said they'd do
    Faux anger is a sub seller seemingly
    It can remain behind a paywall as far as I'm concerned

Funny that some of the top political journalists in the country don't seem to agree.
    Whingers too I suppose?

There certainly is, But this is Leo addressing the nation, leader material he is not, but I guess a vast improvement over his predecessor.

If he is not prepared to take questions, and doesn't yet have a complete plan in place for lifting restriction what is these address really about? As far as I see it its just another PR stunt, 'look I am doing something, i'm on TV'
    I would sooner he sent a press release to all the media outlets and spent the time wasted preparing for this 'address' actually getting his and his caretaker governments act together.

A month ago in his first 'address' he asked the country to shut down, people to make big sacrifices, and businesses to suffer huge losses that might mean they never open again. The people and businesses delivered. In the meantime he promised to deliver on testing, on PPE and an exit strategy and surprise surprise he hasn't come close to delivering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thought that was a smashing picture of Constance Markievicz in Mary Lou's study. Her bookshelf looked busy also, which is a relief.

efanton wrote: »
    There certainly is, But this is Leo addressing the nation, leader material he is not, but I guess a vast improvement over his predecessor.

If he is not prepared to take questions, and doesn't yet have a complete plan in place for lifting restriction what is these address really about? As far as I see it its just another PR stunt, 'look I am doing something, i'm on TV'
    I would sooner he sent a press release to all the media outlets and spent the time wasted preparing for this 'address' actually getting his and his caretaker governments act together.

A month ago in his first 'address' he asked the country to shut down, people to make big sacrifices, and businesses to suffer huge losses that might mean they never open again. The people and businesses delivered. In the meantime he promised to deliver on testing, on PPE and an exit strategy and surprise surprise he hasn't come close to delivering.

Look at other countries when their leader addresses their nation. They approach the podium, deliver their address and walk back indoors.

He was clear and eloquent. Unlike Michael Martin who mumbled and stumbled through an interview a short time earlier.

Look at other countries when their leader addresses their nation. They approach the podium, deliver their address and walk back indoors.

He was clear and eloquent. Unlike Michael Martin who mumbled and stumbled through an interview a short time earlier.

Of course it was clear and 'eloquent' it was written by a pro speech writer. It doesn't get away from the growing persistence of the story that this man is avoiding questions and scrutiny.

More to come on that, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭This is it

Leo is doing a fine job, well done and Simon too :)

Of course it was clear and 'eloquent' it was written by a pro speech writer. It doesn't get away from the growing persistence of the story that this man is avoiding questions and scrutiny.

More to come on that, no doubt.

Once again you don’t understand the difference between a Prime Minister addressing the Nation and one holding a Press Conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

smurgen wrote: »

Fairplay smurge, and not even an acknowledgement from your doubter.

Once again you don’t understand the difference between a Prime Minister addressing the Nation and one holding a Press Conference.

Can you show where it is written that he can't answer questions?

And you don't seem to get the 'growing persistence' of the notion that this caretaker Taoiseach is running from questions and scrutiny which is beginning to get to journalists who are trying to do their jobs. Saccharine speeches and poetry quotes don't quite cut it in that field.

What has being able to deliver a speech, no doubt written by someone else, got to do with leadership?

In the 11 minutes he took to deliver that speech he told the Irish nation not one new thing that we did not know already.

No outline of what the plan was, no new detail, nothing.
    "Tonight I want to explain to you why we have to extend current restrictions until the 18 May and also to share with you our plan to re-open our economy and society in phases starting on that day."

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for details of the plan, nothing

Then we hear
    "We have a plan to ease restrictions from 18 May"
    He goes on to say" from next Tuesday it will be possible to go up to 5km for the purposes of exercise."
    He also say this applies to those who were cocooning.

Then I wait for more, and there's nothing, absolutely nothing.

Lets be honest here, at this point in time there is no plan, its like everything else promised by this government, just a very vague suggestion something might happen, then then again it might not.

Now had Leo not made a song and dance all week about a big announcement being made, not previously made empty promises about ramping up testing so that restriction could be lifted you might forgive him.
    But to blatantly make promises about testing and PPE that he previously made and a month a month later he has yet to deliver on, and then claim that there is a solid plan in place when its obvious there's no such thing is beyond a joke.
    Where is this plan. Surely it would have been published if it existed. Surely he would have informed the Dail at the very least of the details.

Why does he feel the need to make such grand statements, such big promises?
    Surely he would be far better off saying nothing and actually getting something done.
    The man is a charlatan, and has been since he took over from Enda Kenny. He was going to fix the health service, the over crowding in hospitals, homelessness was his number one priority, he even promised to build 6000 social homes a year and couldn't even manage that. Now he claims he will provide in excess of 20,000 homes a year if the FF/FG coalition ever gets off the ground. He promised to ramp up testing to 100,000 a week, he's going to deliver all those promises in the framework document, deliver the Green polices and do all that as promised without raising tax or USC.

The sooner the Green's tell him to sling his hook the better.
    What we have in Leo is not a leader, but an ego maniac that just loves the PR but not actually able to deliver one single promise he has ever made that I can tell.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Fairplay smurge, and not even an acknowledgement from your doubter.

That's because strykers stock yesterday was at the price I quoted and the analysis was from the declaration of the pandemic to date
    That cannot be disputed and hasnt been by Smurgen
    The commentary was from yesterday
    Their stock is even after today up $8 dollars since the pandemic was declared
    What it was doing prior to that or stocks in general is irrelevant
    Fact is,its up since the pandemic started not down

But hey dont let that put you off your chief interest here,un substantiated digs
    All indices are down today by the way but then some people are fond of talking here more of Chinese whispers, not facts just anything they know nothing about

Oh and my point on Stryker's plans for Cork stands too

Can you show where it is written that he can't answer questions?

And you don't seem to get the 'growing persistence' of the notion that this caretaker Taoiseach is running from questions and scrutiny which is beginning to get to journalists who are trying to do their jobs. Saccharine speeches and poetry quotes don't quite cut it in that field.

I take it that you don’t like An Taoiseach? And you wouldn’t accept any answers unless you’ve written them yourself!

I take it that you don’t like An Taoiseach? And you wouldn’t accept any answers unless you’ve written them yourself!

I have no opinion of the man as I don't know him personally. I dislike the arrogance of the government he was a part of and the caretaker government he is now a part of.
    Am I duty bound to accept answers from him? This ain't China or N. Korea.

To be blunt, no I dont like him at all.

Why did he promise to ramp up testing to 100,000 a week when he was advised that was not possible. Why even bother promising anything if you cant deliver it.
    He could have said nothing, actually he would have been better off saying nothing, but instead he has to make these grandiose gestures that really have no substance whatsoever.

Where is this plan he talks of? Why hasn't it been published?

What big promise has he ever actually delivered on?

Im not a betting man, but if I was I would be tempted to put down a hefty wager that May 18th will arrive and there will still be no solid plan published.
    While he is making promises he know he cannot keep because what he promises does not exist, businesses are going bankrupt. Surely they deserve to know what the plan is, and under what circumstances they will be able to open for business so that they can plan for that. Instead they are told to borrow yet more money at 4% interest with absolutely no idea of what they are borrowing for or what measures they will have to put in place when they are given the go ahead to open their doors. As it is at the moment, many will never be opening their doors again, but in the meantime they are told to borrow yet more money.

I see no reason why this plan cant be published for all to see. I and everyone else understands that for many things we are going to have to wait but that's no reason to not publish unless of course it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

Obviously you must have missed a lot.
    FG bringing the country back to near full employment after the 08 crash.
    FG bringing the country sensibly through the covid19 crisis.

Are you homeless now typing on whatever device you have?
    When you were last in a hospital were you on a trolley?

Also are you really worried about 'the homeless' or 'people on trollies' ?
    Or is it merely because you are trying to find problems to blame FG for?

I doubt many will be sitting on thier hands by the way. Most are too busy washing them for a start. Also there are many in the dail at the moment with blood on thier hands, or covering for those with blood on thier hands.
    Sometimes no amount of washing can remove that stain.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement