Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

E amonn Ryan is anti rural , they'll want to hit it hard early to make their mark, something big like total ban on turf and logs and a push to remove industries from rural areas,forget about road funding or IDA grants. His shuts talk about energy grants is crap, neither the state or the householder has the funds to pay for it so fuel starvation and emigration for rural Ireland while the twit is chauffeured around in a Tesla

I don't disagree with what their intentions are,but let's see
    I'll give my opinion on the document and it'll either be a giant phew! Or oh dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

March 25th

Taking snippets out of an article is very Trump like.

"Setting out the party’s opposition to coalition talks with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, Ms Hourigan said forming such a government would be disruptive and would run counter to dealing with the national emergency caused by Covid-19"

The article mentions it was in relation to forming a government at the time of a pandemic. They were pushing for a unity government at that time.

Before the elections, during the elections and after the elections they have consistently said they will talk to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

Can you briefly outline what should be done and how its going to be funded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

McMurphy wrote: »
    A national government of unity isn't the same thing as a coalition with a couple of party's comprising predominantly with FFG and the greens, you realise this yeah?

I understand the difference.
    But I was replying to a comment saying that the greens said they wouldn't talk to FF and FG and then back tracked.
    They never said this and have consistently said they will work with all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Is he not keeping the diesel yoke? :D

"Do as I say not as I do " be like Gormless taking the bike off the rack around the corner and pretending he cycled in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Triangle wrote: »
    Taking snippets out of an article is very Trump like.

"Setting out the party’s opposition to coalition talks with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, Ms Hourigan said forming such a government would be disruptive and would run counter to dealing with the national emergency caused by Covid-19"

The article mentions it was in relation to forming a government at the time of a pandemic. They were pushing for a unity government at that time.

Before the elections, during the elections and after the elections they have consistently said they will talk to everyone.

You aren't allowed to quote full articles here.

They have said they will talk to everyone...A MONTH AGO they ruled out a coalition with FG and FF. They have CHANGED their position on that because circumstances have changed.
    That is possible in other talks too was the point I was making. We are NOT at last resort yet therefore.

I told no mistruths. Too quick with the Trump barbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

This coalition is going to change the political landscape of this you country for the future.

I'm a FF member and on plenty of the member groups I am apart of there is a clear divide. I am not sure if the grassroots get a vote on this coalition it will pass. If we don't get a vote there will be uproar.

The Greens are a divided party. You have the older members like Ryan who stated before the election that they will enter a government with anybody who would take action on the environment but then you have a younger wing of that party which is almost like a vegan version of PBP.

There is a large Republican faction within FF, who did not agree with the violence committed against civilians during the troubles but would have been fairly sympathetic to the situation in the North. I'd believe O'Cuiv, if an FF/FG coalition would lead a split or even would see these people join SF.

While my dislike for SF has been made abundantly clear here in the past. They will have the most to gain from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

piplip87 wrote: »
    This coalition is going to change the political landscape of this you country for the future.

I'm a FF member and on plenty of the member groups I am apart of there is a clear divide. I am not sure if the grassroots get a vote on this coalition it will pass. If we don't get a vote there will be uproar.

The Greens are a divided party. You have the older members like Ryan who stated before the election that they will enter a government with anybody who would take action on the environment but then you have a younger wing of that party which is almost like a vegan version of PBP.

There is a large Republican faction within FF, who did not agree with the violence committed against civilians during the troubles but would have been fairly sympathetic to the situation in the North. I'd believe O'Cuiv, if an FF/FG coalition would lead a split or even would see these people join SF.

While my dislike for SF has been made abundantly clear here in the past. They will have the most to gain from this.

Heard Darragh O'Brien and Eoin O'B on Newstalk earlier this morning with Pat Kenny, didn't seem to be too much animosity between the pair of them.

They almost sounded like they actually got on tbh.

Granted I drifted in and out due to phonecalls interrupting the radio over Bluetooth, but seemed to me they agreed on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Heard Darragh O'Brien and Eoin O'B on Newstalk earlier this morning with pat Pat Kenny, didn't seem to be too much animosity between the pair of them.

They almost sounded like they actually got on tbh.

Granted I drifted in and out due to phonecalls interpreting the radio over Bluetooth, but seemed to me they agreed on much.

I have been telling you for quite a while that the SF/FF option remains live and is ahead of your predictions of a new election or a grand coalition.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have been telling you for quite a while that the SF/FF option remains live and is ahead of your predictions of a new election or a grand coalition.

Good to see you think we aren't at 'last resort' yet either. FG dropped any pretenses about 'saving the country' from another election and stepping up to plates' and 'opposition benches' etc. They spotted their opportunity and went for it.

• Advertisement

Good to see you think we aren't at 'last resort' yet either. FG dropped any pretenses about 'saving the country' from another election and stepping up to plates' and 'opposition benches' etc. They spotted their opportunity and went for it.

Interesting reading from PBP today. It seems that they are asking Sinn Fein to stop doing nothing and actually start talking to them on a Programme for Governement. I posted on this yesterday, so I must be a PBP insider. If I was, I would be the most annoyed at the way that Sinn Fein have sat on the sidelines since the election and done nothing to form a government of like-minded people. It is almost as if they have ignored their electoral mandate. No wonder the Greens got fed up and talked to FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I blame the joggers Joe and d'immigrants

Interesting reading from PBP today. It seems that they are asking Sinn Fein to stop doing nothing and actually start talking to them on a Programme for Governement. I posted on this yesterday, so I must be a PBP insider. If I was, I would be the most annoyed at the way that Sinn Fein have sat on the sidelines since the election and done nothing to form a government of like-minded people. It is almost as if they have ignored their electoral mandate. No wonder the Greens got fed up and talked to FF/FG.

'are asking Sinn Fein to stop doing nothing'

Where did you see that...link?

You have also been telling me that Sinn Fein will be facing political wipeout since forever.

That's like me predicting that Phillip the Greek will die this year, and then go on to predict his summer holidays destination for 2021.

You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

:D:D:D:D 'duped' their supporters?

'I will not go into coalition with SF or FG?'

That kind of 'duping'?

'Saying that you would try to form a government of the left' is duping nobody.

And then you mention 'cute hoorism'...:) :)

Of course it was and still is.
    The want change, they say they are trying to for a Govt of the left and whinge then when FF and FG won't deal with them.
    Sure if they want change they surely can't want to deal with them.
    SF are con artists, and it's laughable when you think about it that they are trying to give the impression that the actually want to deal with either party given their public stance.

Of course it was and still is.
    The want change, they say they are trying to for a Govt of the left and whinge then when FF and FG won't deal with them.
    Sure if they want change they surely can't want to deal with them.
    SF are con artists, and it's laughable when you think about it that they are trying to give the impression that the actually want to deal with either party given their public stance.

'con artists' :)

All three of the parties in talks have lambasted the policy of the other two. Two of those party's ruled out coalition with the others.

Con artists? Yeh, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mortelaro wrote: »
    No I did not
    For the avoidance of all doubt, when leo was asked at one of the pre election debates if he'd go into government with FF ,rather than rule it out,he said he'd only go in if it was the last resort
    That last resort is here,no government without FG is possible despite everyone trying

So for the avoidance of doubt what were your examples exactly examples of? That FG can send the Gardai after rivals?
    Or what exactly, you never said

Leo was telling stories because he relished going into opposition. That was his first choice. End of story. Then he decided to try form a government with FF or can you show how he was in talks to form a government without FF prior to that? Deciding to form a government with FF would only be a last resort if he had other options and acted on those options as best he could...but had to settle for FF, which was not the case. It was opposition or FF, he decided on FF.
    Trying to make it 'last resort' is just yourself and Leo trying to put lipstick on a pig.

People following TD's. We don't know what the poster was specifically talking about. I gave some examples and asked did he mean those. You seem to suggest FG used the Garda to hassle TD's, I can see how it looks that way, but I'd have no evidence to support your theory. TBF FG do have previous for such things.

Yeah,a bit like man United asking Cardiff for a loan of the cup when liverpool have it
    No numbers ,just noise
    Embarrassing for SF that PBP step up and try again to form a government.

SF hiding all along as we suspected.

So only 'stepping up' and 'for stability' if it's FG trying? TBF, these parties never proclaimed they 'relished' going into opposition.

Bowie wrote: »
    Leo was telling stories because he relished going into opposition. That was his first choice. End of story.
    No not the end of story, he relished going into opposition if the other parties got a government together
    The door was left open to go in with FF as a last resort if necessary,like or lump it
    Then he decided to try form a government with FF or can you show how he was in talks to form a government without FF prior to that? Deciding to form a government with FF would only be a last resort if he had other options and acted on those options as best he could...but had to settle for FF, which was not the case. It was opposition or FF, he decided on FF.
    Trying to make it 'last resort' is just yourself and Leo trying to put lipstick on a pig.
    You see where your premise falls down is,what FG would do prior to going into government with FF and A . Another is irrelevant
    Fact is,they've done what they said they would do
    People following TD's. We don't know what the poster was specifically talking about. I gave some examples and asked did he mean those. You seem to suggest FG used the Garda to hassle TD's, I can see how it looks that way, but I'd have no evidence to support your theory. TBF FG do have previous for such things.
    Not my theory, just what it looked like you wrote
    You already know that,I hope
    What previous
    Explain
    You're basically saying you didnt say that and then you're saying it again with no examples presented

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A unity govt isn't the same thing as a coalition with FF/G.

Why dont SF support a Unity government?

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Why dont SF support a Unity government?

Who said they didn't/don't?

National unity government idea should be examined, says McDonald

Are you confusing Leo wanting to exclude them from one?

Varadkar open to unity government without SF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The national unity government idea is daft and dead. Only the Greens really wanted it and no one else took a bite.

There is a reason why SF have not said anything about it since the 20th of March, a long long time ago given recent developments.
    It is a solution that solves nothing.

If a government cannot be formed, then its back to the polls. It is that simple.

No not the end of story, he relished going into opposition if the other parties got a government together
    The door was left open to go in with FF as a last resort if necessary,like or lump it
    You see where your premise falls down is,what FG would do prior to going into government with FF and A . Another is irrelevant
    Fact is,they've done what they said they would do

That's not true. He relished going into opposition before anybody had had any talks. He repeated that two more times when approached by FF saying they were going into opposition.
    Look this is all PR to try save face having made it clear that FF 'had us almost eating out of bins' and the like, lest they get called out on their bull**** down the road and more importantly when they return to such jibes come the next election.

Not my theory, just what it looked like you wrote
    You already know that,I hope
    What previous
    Explain
    You're basically saying you didnt say that and then you're saying it again with no examples presented

I guess it's on the poster to clarify. I guessed he might be talking about FG using the Garda for political purposes. You seemed to pick up on that too.
    getting their heavies to follow TD's home at night?

I was reminded of Cosgrave's heavy gang. As I say FG have previous for using the mechanics of the state for political purposes.

markodaly wrote: »
    The national unity government idea is daft and dead. Only the Greens really wanted it and no one else took a bite.

There is a reason why SF have not said anything about it since the 20th of March, a long long time ago given recent developments.
    It is a solution that solves nothing.

Lol.

Off on a different tangent now :pac:
    If a government cannot be formed, then its back to the polls. It is that simple.

Yeah I've been saying this now for God knows how long.

Well, they certainly don't support a government led by themselves. It took the PBP calling them out today to show the lack of action on forming a government by SF.

Well, they certainly don't support a government led by themselves. It took the PBP calling them out today to show the lack of action on forming a government by SF.

You never did back up what you said...any chance?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113359702&postcount=5414

From what I know of the exchange between PBP and SF this is what was said...I am not seeing anything about 'asking them to stop doing nothing' or 'calling them out'

EXRnTqCWoAADDZX?format=jpg&name=large

EXRnTqTXsAAcyp_?format=jpg&name=large

Bowie wrote: »
    That's not true. He relished going into opposition before anybody had had any talks. He repeated that two more times when approached by FF saying they were going into opposition.
    Look this is all PR to try save face having made it clear that FF 'had us almost eating out of bins' and the like, lest they get called out on their bull**** down the road and more importantly when they return to such jibs come the next election.
    It's not really
    They're at the last resort now,not the middle resort or the first resort
    It's as per what they said
    That's what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

PBP have been spending quite a bit on sponsored FB posts.

Screenshot-PBP-FB.png

Edit: Quick Google and link is https://www.pbp.ie/open-letter-to-sinn-fein/

PommieBast wrote: »
    PBP have been spending quite a bit on sponsored FB posts.

Screenshot-PBP-FB.png

Edit: Quick Google and link is https://www.pbp.ie/open-letter-to-sinn-fein/

They all do.

• Advertisement

So FF were calling FG out? That's an odd view. Surely both FF and PBP wanted to form a government and approached FG, SF? You do know Neither FG nor SF can tell the other parties to form a government with them right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement