Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    What are they doing in the North Francie? :P

The Minister For Education has no jurisdiction in the north Mark...yet. ;)

Would you be trying to deflect the thread by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Their vote is an alliance of the left-wing Republican 'up da ra' types, right-wing 'up da ra' nationalists, economic populists and the new 'anyone but FF and FG' types, who have yet to see what SF are really about, but they will see soon enough.

The issue is, once they actually go into power, they won't be able to blame the DUP, Westminister or anyone else for the decisions they took or are unable to take.

Unless of course, they go after the EU, which I can see them doing by trying to deflect criticism.

'We can spend X billion on housing because the EU rules wont let us'

That will be like a war cry for the nativist, Gemma o'Doherty types and there you have it, Irelands very own version of UKIP and the Front Nationale are born.

Thus the new political split for the next generation is done.

A pretty low benchmark from which FG/FF can show us how actually good they are so. I wait with bated breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The parameters affecting a decision have not changed, the knock on effects have been teased out to exhaustion.

It is the Minister's job to know these issues much much better than anyone.
    A 'decision' has to be made, and that in itself has been known since this started. Excuses about it being 'set in stone' are just that, excuses. If the situation changes radically it can be looked at again as an 'emergency'. When 'lockdown' came...no event in Ireland was immune to cancellation or postponement.

Was building a wall with your mates immune to cancellation and postponement?

The problem is that if everyone follows the rules, then the Leaving Cert could go ahead as planned at the curve would flatten fairly quickly. But the more people flout the rules, by carrying out activities banned in the lockdown, the slower the curve is to flatten and the more difficult it gets to hold the Leaving Cert. So while a month ago, a plan to hold the Leaving Cert in August may have been reasonable given the foreseeable progress of the pandemic, wall-builders and the rest will have put paid to the efforts of the government to save the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

They have their plan. It is mapped out.

Still, rumour, speculation and a total lack of decision making affecting Leaving Cert students at a critical juncture in their lives.

The plan is mapped out...tentatively

The leaving cert date is set...tentatively.

It's looking increasingly likely that the leaving cert will be cancelled so they need to come up with a plan b. The problem is whatever plan b is will have knock on effects not just this year but for years to come. Students miss out on courses every year because of a few points in the difference of the results and the course requirement. As I have already the appeals by students missing out on places due to faults in plan b would need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,556 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The Minister For Education has no jurisdiction in the north Mark...yet. ;)

Would you be trying to deflect the thread by any chance?

Ah, OK. :p

So, what is Stormont actually responsible for? Collecting the bins?

All I see up there are the DUP and SF either unwilling to take any action (even though they don't like the Tories) or too scared to take action.

Its the 'sit on my hands and let people die, but at least I can't be made accountable' trick.

• Advertisement

Their vote is an alliance of the left-wing Republican 'up da ra' types, right-wing 'up da ra' nationalists, economic populists and the new 'anyone but FF and FG' types, who have yet to see what SF are really about, but they will see soon enough.

The issue is, once they actually go into power, they won't be able to blame the DUP, Westminister or anyone else for the decisions they took or are unable to take.

Unless of course, they go after the EU, which I can see them doing by trying to deflect criticism.

'We can spend X billion on housing because the EU rules wont let us'

That will be like a war cry for the nativist, Gemma o'Doherty types and there you have it, Irelands very own version of UKIP and the Front Nationale are born.

Thus the new political split for the next generation is done.

If SF ever get into government everything will always be someone else's fault. They will be like Trump blaming Obamacare for the coronavirus problems in the US.

Pre covid19 would actually not have been a bad time for SF to form a government because things were going well economically and they could have kept it going for a while before wrecking it by overspending because they don't seem to understand economics.
    Post covid19 it would be nothing short of disastrous to let them form a government.
    The sadistic part of me would be still willing to let them have a go and see if they sink or swim.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Was building a wall with your mates immune to cancellation and postponement?

The 'wall' I wasn't building? :)

You know nothing of the circumstances, don't embarrass yourself again on that.
    The problem is that if everyone follows the rules, then the Leaving Cert could go ahead as planned at the curve would flatten fairly quickly. But the more people flout the rules, by carrying out activities banned in the lockdown, the slower the curve is to flatten and the more difficult it gets to hold the Leaving Cert.
    So while a month ago, a plan to hold the Leaving Cert in August may have been reasonable given the foreseeable progress of the pandemic, wall-builders and the rest will have put paid to the efforts of the government to save the Leaving Cert.

Blame 'the people' for the lack of a decision and good old fashioned dithering = tick.

Ah, OK. :p

So, what is Stormont actually responsible for? Collecting the bins?

All I see up there are the DUP and SF either unwilling to take any action (even though they don't like the Tories) or too scared to take action.

Its the 'sit on my hands and let people die, but at least I can't be made accountable' trick.

If you don't know the answers to these questions, open a relevant thread.

aido79 wrote: »
    If SF ever get into government everything will always be someone else's fault. They will be like Trump blaming Obamacare for the coronavirus problems in the US.

Pre covid19 would actually not have been a bad time for SF to form a government because things were going well economically and they could have kept it going for a while before wrecking it by overspending because they don't seem to understand economics.
    Post covid19 it would be nothing short of disastrous to let them form a government.
    The sadistic part of me would be still willing to let them have a go and see if they sink or swim.

blanch just 'blamed' the people for the lack of a decision. :)

The 'wall' I wasn't building? :)

Hold on the horses. You posted a photo yesterday 'proving' you were building a wall, with your 'mates'.

Now, you were not building a wall.

Are you really Batman? :p

• Advertisement

If you don't know the answers to these questions, open a relevant thread.

Im asking you, since you have your ear so close to the ground up there.

Hold on the horses. You posted a photo yesterday 'proving' you were building a wall, with your 'mates'.

Now, you were not building a wall.

Are you really Batman? :p

You weren't following the thread very closely were you. Detective Blanch posted his theory forensically telling all and sundry how I 'wasn't' building a wall.

I posted the photo after that. He and his theory disappeared...poof...gone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Were you asleep during the election?
    FF and FG campaigned as adversaries
    Except Leo answered a question saying hed go with them as a last resort only
    What part of first and middle resort being let the rest get on with their negotiations before that last resort is reached do you not understand?

So what? After the election he said FG relished going into opposition. Knocked back FF twice then accepted an invite to discuss forming a government. It's very easy to understand. FF are FG's first choice for forming a government. These are simple facts.
    christy c wrote: »
    Unfortunately for all of us is that during this time, SF have been using the tried and trusted Bertie Ahern spend like drunken sailors strategy. .....

For some reason FG spending like drunken sailors in other areas, (state contracts, crony deals, failed ongoing strategy) is better? At least if others fail the money went on society not off shore accounts. Fiscally conservative my hole.

Im asking you, since you have your ear so close to the ground up there.

I seen Stormont in your post and didn't even read it.

Open a thread to fill the gaps you seem to have. It isn't relevant here.

blanch just 'blamed' the people for the lack of a decision. :)

I honestly don't know how you came to that conclusion. I read the post you quoted and can't figure out your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Anyone would think that Ireland was devoid of 'populism' 'bull****' 'greed' greedy politics' 'bad economic choices' 'an unbalanced society' etc until SF came along, from your posting.

No, I never implied that, I know better:)
    But I can't believe anyone believes SF is different.
    Now if SF had gotten in in 11 or 16, I wonder how good a financial footing the country would have been in to weather this crisis.
    Our borrowing rates are good, our fiscal ability to weather this seems to be in tact.
    But if we had been borrowing willie nillie to pay for the policies they enthused in those times, including burning bond holders, I wonder how we would be fixed for to weather this crisis?

I honestly don't know how you came to that conclusion. I read the post you quoted and can't figure out your logic.
    This
    The problem is that if everyone follows the rules, then the Leaving Cert could go ahead as planned at the curve would flatten fairly quickly. But the more people flout the rules, by carrying out activities banned in the lockdown, the slower the curve is to flatten and the more difficult it gets to hold the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Bowie wrote: »
    So what? After the election he said FG relished going into opposition. Knocked back FF twice then accepted an invite to discuss forming a government. It's very easy to understand. FF are FG's first choice for forming a government. These are simple facts.
    The so and the what is,Leo agreed eventually when every other resort minus FG was tried and failed
    For some reason FG spending like drunken sailors in other areas, (state contracts, crony deals, failed ongoing strategy) is better? At least if others fail the money went on society not off shore accounts. Fiscally conservative my hole.
    I wont be hiring you as my accountant anytime soon
    Budget surpluses, lowest ever borrowing rate for the state and a rainy day fund speak otherwise

This

And you think people's behaviour has nothing to do with the decision to hold the leaving cert as planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

I see you cut off the part of my post that didn't suit your agenda (where I said all main parties were living in cloud cuckoo land).

Would I prefer that things like the hospital etc. came in on budget? Of course, but that didn't mean electing idiots like Pearse Doherty was a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I see you cut off the part of my post that didn't suit your agenda (where I said all main parties were living in cloud cuckoo land).

Would I prefer that things like the hospital etc. came in on budget? Of course, but that didn't mean electing idiots like Pearse Doherty was a good idea.

what do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what do you mean by this?

Not facing up to the reality of a massive budget deficit. The deficit wont be spent on infrastructure and similar as you suggested earlier, instead it will be sent up in smoke on some form of current expenditure.

You weren't following the thread very closely were you. Detective Blanch posted his theory forensically telling all and sundry how I 'wasn't' building a wall.

I posted the photo after that. He and his theory disappeared...poof...gone. :)

Im confused tbh. So you were building a wall?

And you think people's behaviour has nothing to do with the decision to hold the leaving cert as planned?

The issues affecting the making of this decision have little to do with the behaviour of the public.

Read the news.

Im confused tbh. So you were building a wall?

He posted a picture didn't he?

What do you think of the house I just finished the other day?

I seen Stormont in your post and didn't even read it.

Open a thread to fill the gaps you seem to have. It isn't relevant here.

Running away from the question, but grand.

The issues affecting the making of this decision have little to do with the behaviour of the public.

Read the news.

I do

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1136931/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The so and the what is,Leo agreed eventually when every other resort minus FG was tried and failed

I wont be hiring you as my accountant anytime soon
    Budget surpluses, lowest ever borrowing rate for the state and a rainy day fund speak otherwise

That's not the case. Read the facts again. Eventually accepting an invite without exploring and exhausting all other options is not a last resort.
    last re·sort
    noun
    a final course of action, used only when all else has failed.

Nobody will be buying the FG didn't want FF, but 'something something stability' ****e.

Typical short sighted and ignorant right wing analysis.
    How do you marry all that with record breaking worsening year on year societal crises? The only time their economy relates to the public is when they lose their arse and want a hand out off the tax payer. Record breaking numbers of children homeless not being a rainy day speaks volumes for FG.
    Societal crises means the people elected to govern failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not facing up to the reality of a massive budget deficit. The deficit wont be spent on infrastructure and similar as you suggested earlier, instead it will be sent up in smoke on some form of current expenditure.

it ll be grand, debt is a critical component of our money supply, without it, we d simply have little or no money in circulation. again, a lot of these loans are at record low rates, some negative, i.e. it ll be grand, we ll pay back these debts over time, as our economy recoveries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

That's not the case. Read the facts again. Eventually accepting an invite without exploring and exhausting all other options is not a last resort.

Nobody will be buying the FG didn't want FF, but 'something something stability' ****e.

Typical short sighted and ignorant right wing analysis.
    How do you marry all that with record breaking worsening year on year societal crises? The only time their economy relates to the public is when they lose their arse and want a hand out off the tax payer.
    Societal crises means the people elected to govern failed.

You seem to not know the difference between 'when all else has failed ' and 'when all else has failed without FG'

As for your rants
    Carry on...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement