Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Love the way the SF lads are in here and vanished form the SF thread after getting rinsed:)

Is that what FG are going to do for the next 5 years?
    TBF, they'd be better off concentrating on the job of government now and if they form one with FF and chums. Time better spent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mortelaro wrote: »
    No
    You really are making a dogs dinner of pretending you don't know
    I'll repeat what's obvious again

FG's only option had to include FF
    FG relished opposition if the others trying succeeded, that included MLM's overtures and FF's to others
    That not happening, FG as promised,is stepping in as a last resort

There is a further option for FG.

If the coalition talks fail, the push against Martin within FF could lead to a SF/FF government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

But you won't be critical if there is another resort after the 'last resort' which you claim is what this is?

Confused? I think we all are. :)

You expect Soc Dems and labour to Go in?
    I thought you said you don't believe in magic

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is a further option for FG.

If the coalition talks fail, the push against Martin within FF could lead to a SF/FF government.

That would set me laughing
    I'd say it has a negative R rating though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You expect Soc Dems and labour to Go in?
    I thought you said you don't believe in magic

Anything is possible...the bizarre thing is that you won't be critical if FG have another go after pontificating and defending them on the basis that this is a 'last resort'?

Even more bizarre that you cannot see the contradiction.

• Advertisement

No
    You really are making a dogs dinner of pretending you don't know
    I'll repeat what's obvious again

FG's only option had to include FF
    FG relished opposition if the others trying succeeded, that included MLM's overtures and FF's to others
    That not happening, FG as promised,is stepping in as a last resort

You are telling lies here.
    Mr Varadkar said if Sinn Féin fails to form a government, then the onus passes to Fianna Fáil.

He said his future is about leading the party into opposition.

A statement from Fine Gael said that Mr Varadkar "relishes the challenge to lead a strong and effective opposition for the benefit of the country".

It added: "There will be no negotiations on a programme for government without a further mandate from the parliamentary party", which will meet again next week.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51538546
    The outgoing Taoiseach's (Irish PM) said he was opposed to his party – Fine Gael – forming a grand coalition with Fianna Fail amid continuing speculation over when the upcoming election will be held. And despite calls for him to step down as party after his devastating defeat, Leo Varadakar insisted he would relish the challenge of leading an opposition party, according to Ireland’s national broadcaster RTE.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1243472/leo-Varadkar-news-irish-election-irish-politics-news-sin-feinn-fine-gael-fianna-fail

Then FF invited them for a third time and FG changed it's mind.
    If you get invited to a party and accept the invitation you are not going as a last resort. You could stay home or try throw your own...

At this point I believe you are engaging in a face saving exercise on behalf of FG. It's pointless and I'll never swallow the 'last resort' spin as it is ridiculous. As it's also pointless feel free to make both yourself and FG look foolish by continuing to sell something nobody is buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Martin putting in terrible performances on telly and in the Dail, the time has come for him to go, next poll will show them on single figures.FG seem to have locked Coveney in the cellar for the duration of the lockdown?

Bowie wrote: »
    You are telling lies here.

Then FF invited them for a third time and FG changed it's mind.
    If you get invited to a party and accept the invitation you are not going as a last resort. You could stay home or try throw your own...

At this point I believe you are engaging in a face saving exercise on behalf of FG. It's pointless and I'll never swallow the 'last resort' spin as it is ridiculous. As it's also pointless feel free to make both yourself and FG look foolish by continuing to sell something nobody is buying.

Huh

How does the above invalidate what I said?
    Leo was not going in with FF untill all options were exhausted by them
    They are now at the last resort

You've made a dogs breakfast this time ,dinner the last time
    Supper next I suppose
    Doesn't change a thing

Anything is possible...the bizarre thing is that you won't be critical if FG have another go after pontificating and defending them on the basis that this is a 'last resort'?

Even more bizarre that you cannot see the contradiction.

Ah now,have ye replied to PBP's impossible dream letter yet? Like the above, It's another one of your anything's possible conjures

Ah now,have ye replied to PBP's impossible dream letter yet? Like the above, It's another one of your anything's possible conjures

.....and deflection.

• Advertisement

.....and deflection.

How is pointing out the obvious flaw in your suggestions that there are other options for government deflection?
    You brought it up last night yourself in this thread

Dogs dinners recipes are available for replies

Huh

How does the above invalidate what I said?
    Leo was not going in with FF untill all options were exhausted by them
    They are now at the last resort

You've made a dogs breakfast this time ,dinner the last time
    Supper next I suppose
    Doesn't change a thing

Because Leo was against a grand coalition with FF. Not open to it if something something...

FG were FF's last resort and FG accepting the invite willingly having changed their mind. Nothing wrong with that.

How is pointing out the obvious flaw in your suggestions that there are other options for government deflection?
    You brought it up last night yourself in this thread

Dogs dinners recipes are available for replies

The contradiction is: you will NOT criticise FG if they go into a 'definitely last resort maybe' arrangement.

As I said, bizarre that you cannot see the contradiction.

*But I think you can and you just like digging.

Bowie wrote: »
    Because Leo was against a grand coalition with FF. Not open to it if something something...

FG were FF's last resort and FG accepting the invite willingly having changed their mind. Nothing wrong with that.

Aaaaaaand we have the dogs supper reply

He was against it in the debate too but said only as a last resort
    The two positions are not mutually exclusive

The contradiction is: you will NOT criticise FG if they go into a 'definitely last resort maybe' arrangement.

As I said, bizarre that you cannot see the contradiction.

*But I think you can and you just like digging.

You didn't answer my question as to how I deflected and then you deflected with a straw man argument... wow

The problem with your strawman is there are no other options, the numbers against are too high

You didn't answer my question as to how I deflected and then you deflected with a straw man argument... wow

The problem with your strawman is there are no other options, the numbers against are too high

The problem is, 'it is your opinion' there are no other options and whether there is or not, it wouldn't matter because you have no problem with FG going for another last resort. A 'last last resort'...so to speak. You can, again, back away from saying that, but say it you did.

I.E. you are either being willfully obtuse or you don't understand what 'last' means.
    Or the other option: you will never criticise FG.

I'm favouring the first and last options above.

Leo, never afraid to continue the fine Fine gael tradition of lying when he knows he is lying, and using it a lá Enda Kenny to deflect in the Dáil, is continuing to be roasted on Twitter.
    He knows that there are plenty who will lap up the lie as the truth. It's all they have left to be honest.

I don't think I have seen a picture retweeted so much as that one of Murphy posing with food parcels. :D

https://twitter.com/andreemurphy/status/1258446615251226627

The problem is, 'it is your opinion' there are no other options and whether there is or not, it wouldn't matter because you have no problem with FG going for another last resort. A 'last last resort'...so to speak. You can, again, back away from saying that, but say it you did.

I.E. you are either being willfully obtuse or you don't understand what 'last' means.
    Or the other option: you will never criticise FG.

I'm favouring the first and last options above.

Your PBP option last night has hit the ropes
    Your option today would require the Soc Dems or Labour to go in with FF which they have resolutely ruled out
    Both wouldn't have the numbers without SF which MM has resolutely ruled out

And you still haven't shown how me mentioning the above is deflection when it was a direct reply to your invalid arguments that theres other options
    Invalid because your mar dhea options are out

Nothing obtuse there,I've been saying it last several posts
    All very clear
    It's why we are where we are on government formation, the last resort

Aaaaaaand we have the dogs supper reply

He was against it in the debate too but said only as a last resort
    The two positions are not mutually exclusive

Deciding, by choice, to change ones mind and accept an invite having not explored or exhausted other opportunities, is not a 'last resort'.

Your PBP option last night has hit the ropes
    Your option today would require the Soc Dems or Labour to go in with FF which they have resolutely ruled out
    Both wouldn't have the numbers without SF which MM has resolutely ruled out

And you still haven't shown how me mentioning the above is deflection when it was a direct reply to your invalid arguments that theres other options
    Invalid because your mar dhea options are out

Nothing obtuse there,I've been saying it last several posts
    All very clear
    It's why we are where we are on government formation, the last resort

The Greens categorically ruled out coalition a month ago. FF totally ruled out coalition altogether.

As usual you are think arrogantly that your opinion is fact. It isn't.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest what happens, we know from your own words that you won't criticise it anyway.

Now, go on and quit digging holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/green-party-asks-members-not-to-speak-to-media-before-informing-party-press-office-998290.html

It appears a the Green party has invoked a gagging order on its members.
    Nothing is to be said by any member unless approved by the party press office first.

I wonder how long that will last, and why it was felt there was a need for a gagging order?

The Greens categorically ruled out coalition a month ago. FF totally ruled out coalition altogether.

As usual you are think arrogantly that your opinion is fact. It isn't.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest what happens, we know from your own words that you won't criticise it anyway.

Now, go on and quit digging holes.

Huh
    The greens wanted a national government with all parties which didn't fly
    Then they took a vote on the option of opening talks about going in with FF and FG
    Labour are making no moves to FF
    Neither are the Soc Dems and we know the numbers don't add up in the PbP SF soc Dem independents fantasy
    You must be sure glad it ain't windy today with all your straw men

We are at the last resort, like it or lump it

You are right about one thing though,I'd be very happy if the soc Dems and labour joined with FF and FG
    But MM has been rebuffed on that score
    No resorts left only the current one unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Huh
    Then they took a vote on the option of opening talks about going in with FF and FG
    Neither are the Soc Dems and we know the numbers don't add up in the PbP SF soc Dem independents fantasy

You are right about one thing though,I'd be very happy if the soc Dems and labour joined with FF and FG

Surely the last resort is a fresh election?

Huh

So basically the above is some random poster on the internet calling halt to government formation talks. :)
    And not even noticing that what he just said proves that things/positions can change.

Fabulous Mort. Well done again. :)

efanton wrote: »
    Surely the last resort is a fresh election?

No,that's not actually an option this year at all probably and we need the Taoiseach to appoint 11 senators or no new legislation can be enacted
    You couldn't have that going on for the rest of the year tbh

No,that's not actually an option this year at all probably and we need the Taoiseach to appoint 11 senators or no new legislation can be enacted
    You couldn't have that going on for the rest of the year tbh

So you are saying these talks have to work out?

Where is it said that an election isn't an option?

So basically the above is some random poster on the internet calling halt to government formation talks. :)
    And not even noticing that what he just said proves that things/positions can change.

Fabulous Mort. Well done again. :)

Nope,those started down at Agriculture house today
    As for your fervent hope
    You're entitled to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So now it is care workers fault?

Why are you so quick to blame Francie. An honest question.

Do you have a morbid fascination with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

blanch152 wrote: »
    If people go around breaking the lockdown rules, then we have problems.

There are also problems with the more lax arrangements put in place by the SF/DUP government in the North as can be seen by the higher per capita rates in Cavan and Monaghan. It can't all be wall-builders.

Didnt we have some SF supporters giving out about lax travel border controls which of course meant that the border should be closed off between the Republic and the North. How partitionist eh! :D

Then we have FB himself traveling all over the shop on 'essential' business and flouting social distancing rules by building a random wall with his mates.

Is it any wonder the border counties have such a high infection rate with that carry-on. Rules apply to others I suppose.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Why are you so quick to blame Francie. An honest question.

Do you have a morbid fascination with this?

I didn't 'blame' anybody. I clearly said that I suspected an inquiry would be needed in the context of what happened with care homes, to find out if 'anyone was to blame' at all.

It was several other posters who were 'blaming the people' for spreading the virus, including in that care workers who carried the virus into homes.

My view is that the virus spreads by contact, and if people do that, they do it 'unknowingly' and are therefore not to blame, unless they knowingly break rules and guidelines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement