Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

satguy wrote: »
    I still say that FF will be part of our next government, but will have replaced MM to get where they really want to be.

If it takes another GE,, so be it,, FG will be reduced 21 seats and the Greens down to 6.
    SF will run two candidates in places where they topped the poll,, this will give them +8 maybe +9

FG and GP lopsses shared by FF and IND.

This post makes no sense.

FF will be in the next government but will lose seats in the forthcoming GE, as will the Greens, FG and Indos....

Seats have to go to someone at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

markodaly wrote: »
    This post makes no sense.

FF will be in the next government but will lose seats in the forthcoming GE, as will the Greens, FG and Indos....

Seats have to go to someone at the end of the day.

Where in my post do I say FF will loose seats,, go back and re read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Where in my post do I say FF will loose seats,, go back and re read it.

Ninja edit.

So, FF and the Indos to gain at the expense of the Greens and FG, except of course this is incorrect.

Look at where the Greens got seats. Mostly urban areas, areas where FG do well.
    If the Greens do badly expect those votes to go back to FG.

Same with FF and the Indo's, they are often looking for the same voter pool.

Just like SF will eat up the left-wing vote. SF will gain but at the expense of the SD's and PBP/SOL.

Also, this is not even stating the obvious about the last opinion polls.
    The divide seems to be clear. FG vs SF

markodaly wrote: »
    Ninja edit.

No Ninja Edit

Again go back and see when I did edit,, It was 3 min after the post, and only to fix a typo.

FG are doing a great job at the moment,, a party that got less seats that FF and SF,, is stepping up, and doing a fine job.
    It's great to see them thinking outside the box, and showing the others how its done.

But if all the above is the shine,, here is the rub.

FG were in power for 8 or 9 years,, and did nothing, sweet FA.

We had, still have, a homeless crisis, a trolly crisis, banks turfing whole families out on the street. Prime building sites given to VF at knock down prices. A homeless man run over by a JCB because he was in the way of some VF building €400K+ apartments.
    The list goes on and on, as does FG's march to the right. Do they really think putting some distance in between them and SF and even FF will make them stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do SF really want to be a big part of the next government if there is a GE and one is formed out of it ?

Remember the economic landscape is much changed this last few months.

The governments ability to pay the COVID19 payment that people are getting is in part due to prudent economic management in the last few years, but it's not forever and their are huge economic challenges on the way.

Do SF really want to be the government that has to cut left, right and center to balance the books ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

David cullinane is a damn good politian and likely best in south east region

You may not like his personal views,and he has apoligosed for any offence caused......(your really going to have to get onboard with notion,people view things differently than you)

.but this deosnt detract from him tearing it up in the public accounts committee the last 5 years,exposing corruption and waste of public money at every turn,cutting through bullsh1t and giving shysters who waste our tax money,the scrutiny and respect they deserve

It's a shame he wasn't around to put the brakes on Snoddy and the ink cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭mattser

Do SF really want to be a big part of the next government if there is a GE and one is formed out of it ?

Remember the economic landscape is much changed this last few months.

The governments ability to pay the COVID19 payment that people are getting is in part due to prudent economic management in the last few years, but it's not forever and their are huge economic challenges on the way.

Do SF really want to be the government that has to cut left, right and center to balance the books ?

Do they hell. Devoid of any sense of responsibility taking pot shots from the safety of opposition.
    I was really hoping they would, though. Watching their performance in these times and those ahead would have been interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

mattser wrote: »
    Do they hell. Devoid of any sense of responsibility taking pot shots from the safety of opposition.
    I was really hoping they would, though. Watching their performance in these times and those ahead would have been interesting to say the least.

"Safety"?

I thought opposition was a challenge:confused:
    ‘The consensus that has emerged from the meeting is that Fine Gael is prepared to go into opposition. I relish the challenge of leading the opposition providing a good robust, detailed and forensic opposition to the next government.

Leo seems to think opposition is a challenge, one which he relished.

Blueshirts seem all confused on opposition, is it a challenge or a cakewalk?

Was Leo full of crap matty?

Lol..:D

FG are doing a great job at the moment,, a party that got less seats that FF and SF,, is stepping up, and doing a fine job.
    It's great to see them thinking outside the box, and showing the others how its done.

But if all the above is the shine,, here is the rub.

FG were in power for 8 or 9 years,, and did nothing, sweet FA.

We had, still have, a homeless crisis, a trolly crisis, banks turfing whole families out on the street. Prime building sites given to VF at knock down prices. A homeless man run over by a JCB because he was in the way of some VF building €400K+ apartments.
    The list goes on and on, as does FG's march to the right. Do they really think putting some distance in between them and SF and even FF will make them stand out.

The homeless crisis is a myth. People choosing to stay in comfy hotels and guest houses until they get what they want a la Erica Fleming and Margaret Cash. People are willing to accept short term hotel living in order to get their foreva home when they see that it works. There’s a whole homeless industry.
    How are FG responsible for the tragic accident with the JCB?
    If people refuse to repay loans, then they have to take responsibility for their eviction. It’s not FGs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It would require great commitment
    For a start...
    They'd have to make the zoom calls to Presidi dente maduro of Venezuela looking for advice at 5am to avoid the power cuts in Caracas

McMurphy wrote: »
    "Safety"?

Leo was prepared to stand up and govern. And then step on hot coals when a pandemic arrived. That's a challenge.
    Your blueshirt dig and your fake smileys don't hide your hurt btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

"Safety"?

Wasn't it the reason why FG's last foray into government ended in tears...effective opposition calling attention to the abysmal record on Housing and Health?
    Did'nt FG collapse that government when it became clear that the 'opposition' no longer had faith in it's Minister For Health? Didn't they go to the people and get told that only 20% had faith in them to lead a new government?

Pretty effective 'potshots' in my view.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It would require great commitment
    For a start...
    They'd have to make the zoom calls to Presidi dente maduro of Venezuela looking for advice at 5am to avoid the power cuts in Caracas

This is hypothetical nonsense Morty, meanwhile we have a caretaker Taoiseach who actually has been writing letters to Kylie and making calls on behalf of Trump to interfere in our supposedly independent planning application process.

Leo was prepared to stand up and govern. And then step on hot coals when a pandemic arrived. That's a challenge.
    Your blueshirt dig and your fake smileys don't hide your hurt btw.

Leo and his caretaker ministers are there by default, not by choice.

Been covered multiple times on this thread already, there's not a chance in hell you missed it either.

As for the blueshirts comment that wasn't meant as a "dig" and if you took it as one - perhaps the internet isn't for you.

This is hypothetical nonsense Morty, meanwhile we have a caretaker Taoiseach who actually has been writing letters to Kylie and making calls on behalf of Trump to interfere in our supposedly independent planning application process.

You're funny bringing up the windmills without reference to what goes on every day in politics,including SF,lobbying

Fact is more than half the electorate voted for people not willing to do business with SF
    When it's more than half not willing, its really the affected party,the shunee so to speak that needs to look at itself and ask Why
    I'd be the same if close to 6 out of 10 people weren't talking to me

You're funny bringing up the windmills without reference to what goes on every day in politics,including SF,lobbying

Fact is more than half the electorate voted for people not willing to do business with SF
    When it's more than half not willing, its really the affected party,the shunee so to speak that needs to look at itself and ask Why
    I'd be the same if close to 6 out of 10 people weren't talking to me

80% voted for anybody but FG.
    More than 50% voted for anybody but FF/FG.

is that how this works? :)

80% voted for anybody but FG.
    More than 50% voted for anybody but FF/FG.

is that how this works? :)

Sinn Féin are the only party where over half the electorate voted for parties that won't work with them
    That's why they're not in government
    That's also how it works

Leo and his caretaker ministers are there by default, not by choice.

Been covered multiple times on this thread already, there's not a chance in hell you missed it either.

As for the blueshirts comment that wasn't meant as a "dig" and if you took it as one - perhaps the internet isn't for you.

Default or not, they took it on and are doing a bloody good job in the circumstanes.
    Anyway, I'm off to work.
    That's something people do when they don't have all day to whinge on the internet.
    Ciao.

Sinn Féin are the only party where over half the electorate voted for parties that won't work with them
    That's why they're not in government
    That's also how it works

44% voted for two parties that said they wouldn't talk to SF.

46% of the electorate voted for parties that said they would not go in with FG or would prefer a government devoid of FG.

80% voted for anyone but FG.

How am I doing at this game...am I winning?

• Advertisement

Default or not, they took it on and are doing a bloody good job in the circumstanes.
    Anyway, I'm off to work.
    That's something people do when they don't have all day to whinge on the internet.
    Ciao.

Because they HAD TO, it wasn't a choice they made!!!!

44% voted for two parties that said they wouldn't talk to SF.

46% of the electorate voted for parties that said they would not go in with FG or would prefer a government devoid of FG.

80% voted for anyone but FG.

How am I doing at this game...am I winning?
    You're forgetting Lowry the HealyvRae's and the gene pool ff and FG independents,all democratically elected
    As I said way over 50% of the population voted for people who wont do business with SF
    SF are unique in that respect

Because they HAD TO, it wasn't a choice they made!!!!

Well to be fair,they only 'HAD TO' take the salaries

You're forgetting Lowry the HealyvRae's and the gene pool ff and FG independents,all democratically elected
    As I said way over 50% of the population voted for people who wont do business with SF
    SF are unique in that respect

Where did these 'gene pool' TD's say they wouldn't deal with SF?

FF said they wouldn't deal with FG...yet look what is happening. No wonder you invoke the sleeveens Heally Rae's and Lowry :)

Any port in a storm.

Well to be fair,they only 'HAD TO' take the salaries

That's the Dara Murphy defence :D

That's the Dara Murphy defence :D

Or the Stormont...

If people refuse to repay loans, then they have to take responsibility for their eviction. It’s not FGs fault.

If a bank foolishly lends big sums of money,, if, say the bank is doing 110% mortgages, as some of them were doing. Then the bank should have to deal with the consequences.

But making a family homeless just hands those consequences over to the state and leaves tax payers to pick up the bill,, to house and feed this now homeless family.

And leaves the bank, free and clear to carry on making profit,, Its a sham.

Next thing you know the banks will be asking for a covid-19 handout ..

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Too long to read.

By your second sentence you showed your spectacular ability to miss the point.

If you aim for something, miss and end up hitting something totally unrelated, then there is the capacity for disappointment. So as a metaphor it works for most. (maybe not somebody as verbose as yourself)

Translation, you have nothing to back up the nonsensical statement and comparison that you had earlier .

The smarter thing would have been to drop it and move in to the latest nonsensical argument and laughable analogy .

Missed the point ? Your point was utter nonsense and grossly misinformed nonsense . For a start, I don’t think he’s even old enough to be eligible to run as a TD . Certainly not old enough to run for party leader either .

Pray tell thee, what college course or particular career path does one take to become a Taoiseach ? Let’s try getting elected first Eh.

More to the point how has your “career” turned out ? Clearly know nothing about business or management that is for sure . And to think that your metaphor actually is anything close to intelligent is very worrying . Most Shinners are not remotely capable or qualified to comment on the careers of others

Where did these 'gene pool' TD's say they wouldn't deal with SF?

FF said they wouldn't deal with FG...yet look what is happening. No wonder you invoke the sleeveens Heally Rae's and Lowry :)

Any port in a storm.

Speaking of ports,Amusing that you are dropping anchor in one believing gene pool independents ore going in with SF or that their voters thought they would
    Fact is SF are alone in having had a majority of people voting for and a majority of TD's elected that are cast iron not willing to work with them

You might believe in the tooth fairy but I hate to break it to you its not the tooth fairy that leaves the money under the pillow

My advice is adapt,compromise, and win the support across people and parties that's needed
    I think that's happening at elected level, it needs to continue because protest votes vary from hero to near zero
    They're not a base

• Advertisement

Speaking of ports,Amusing that you are dropping anchor in one believing gene pool independents ore going in with SF or that their voters thought they would
    Fact is SF are alone in having had a majority of people voting for and a majority of TD's elected that are cast iron not willing to work with them

Is this the peculiar meaning of 'cast iron' that had all the major media in this country saying that Michael Martin had opened the door to talks with SF less than 24 hours after the election?
    The 'cast iron' committment the same man gave to 'Not' go in with FG?

Now: do you have a link to where Independent TD's said they would not go in with SF?

And what would their word be worth, when the power swap parties play sleeveen politics about what they will not or will do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement