Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

varadkar literally wanted to spemd hundreds of millions on a propagamda unit??.(its breathtaking naivity to think shinnerz are only party with a media/PR team)

I doubt sinn fein pay anyone to post on boards,(id be looking for momey back,some post are of poor quality)......unless there is some evidemce of substance,this is just gemma o doberty style conspiracy stuff

Are you not the guy,who posted topless pics of micheal martin to show your support for FF??

The only conspiracy is that this 'propagamda unit' was going to cost hundreds of millions. The cost was 5 million, not hundreds.

You're right about one thing though. Some of the posts defending SF tooth and nail are of very poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Charlie Flanagan getting a bit of roasting over the Kerry Direct provision centre revelations in the Irish Examiner - on Sarah McInerney Show on RTE.

Those old metaphors for an uncaring FG again.

The "open letter from ... Charlie Flanagan to the people of Kerry ... to apologise and to explain...” events around a direct provision centre in Cahirciveen may be unprecedented.

However, it does, in the most ironic but clear way, underline how failure, low standards, and an indifference to probity are institutionalised in the system of direct provision we offer asylum seekers.

That, in a four-page letter, Mr Flanagan did not extend his apology to those “seeking international protection” may reveal the mindset behind this ongoing scandal. Whether that mindset is Mr Flanagan’s or his officials’ is immaterial: It does not reflect this society’s position.

Like everything else, this sorry saga unfolded in the shadow of Covid-19. Fear of infection was behind the need to move almost 100 people to the Skellig Star hotel. That move is also layered with irony. Strangers had to share bedrooms,social distancing was not observed.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/ourview/irish-examiner-editorial/irish-examiner-view-a-minister-apologises-1000510.html

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Sinn Fein voters were promised FF in government would be a disaster though

On their own or in coalition with FG.

Put it this way: I was happy SF would stand up to both FG and FF in a coalition and would not repeat the lazy 'we are happy just to be in the comfy seats' mistakes of Labour and the Greens etc.

I have said it before...(MM's opening of the door etc) that it is that strength that FF and FG fear, not the high moral ground stuff they hide behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You like jam on both sides of your bread
    I don't recall MLM stating her party would tame FF or FG
    She emphasised they'd be a disaster though

But the reality is she needs one and gene pool independents
    They don't need her
    That was the electorates decision

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They don't need her

https://www.rte.ie/news/campaign-daily/2020/0130/1112005-sinn-fein/

"McDonald does not rule out coalition with FG or FF" before the election.

Any more lies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think the Coveney faction are getting ratty, all the attacks in the S indo on Covid payments by Harris and the other columnists and the multiple threads attacking it here smells of FG tradionalists, Coveney has burned his bridges to be Taoiseach ,scuppering Varadkers plans will be his main focus ,

They don't need her

Interesting that you introduce the word 'tame'. I didn't use that word.

What I said was 'stand up' to FF or FG. In other words, negotiate a programme for government that addressed the key areas of their mandate. They stated this many times.

FG/FF always had the option to sledgehammer a coalition together or to buy one with bypasses and freebies etc. The way it has been done in the past. That's still an option for them if the Greens walk away.

https://www.rte.ie/news/campaign-daily/2020/0130/1112005-sinn-fein/

"McDonald does not rule out coalition with FG or FF" before the election.

Any more lies?

Hahaha, you don't seriously think MLM or SF had any intent on doing a deal with FG
    That was a Roose
    She was interested in disgruntled FF voters though and she got some

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The way it stands FF/FG dont want em in (as in their right),but the fact they happy to speak to aontu (anti-abortion shinners)

,just points to hyprocrisy on their part imo

personally speaking,id not support sf as a junior partner in a coalition,with those two,but would in a temp nationl government,but seemingly these arent allowed here

Thats fair enough if they dont want them.

FF promised their voters they wouldnt go with FG before the election, when every tom dick and harry knew they were lying.

No matter what parties go into Govt, it wont last 1 year never mind 5 years.

As has been proven over time, the youth and younger people want FF and FG out, the way they are acting it will happen sooner rather than later.

Thats fair enough if they dont want them.

FF promised their voters they wouldnt go with FG before the election, when every tom dick and harry knew they were lying.

No matter what parties go into Govt, it wont last 1 year never mind 5 years.

As has been proven over time, the youth and younger people want FF and FG out, the way they are acting it will happen sooner rather than later.

You are seeing the electorate kick back against the habits of the 100 year old power swap.
    Manifesto's that aren't worth the paper they are written on they have been so devalued.
    Pre-election posturing and bollix talk that as you say, 'everyone' knows is lying (no other word for it)

The leadership challenge in the Greens is a symptom of this. Deep dissatisfaction there because the younger members are savvy enough to know FF/FG have no intention of delivering on whatever promises they make to Eamon Ryan..part of the Green team that got conned before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You are seeing the electorate kick back against the habits of the 100 year old power swap.
    Manifesto's that aren't worth the paper they are written on they have been so devalued.
    Pre-election posturing and bollix talk that as you say, 'everyone' knows is lying (no other word for it)

The leadership challenge in the Greens is a symptom of this. Deep dissatisfaction there because the younger members are savvy enough to know FF/FG have no intention of delivering on whatever promises they make to Eamon Ryan..part of the Green team that got conned before.

Another election would be great.

Might see the end of the greens.

You'll have to work on Kerry;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

On their own or in coalition with FG.

Put it this way: I was happy SF would stand up to both FG and FF in a coalition and would not repeat the lazy 'we are happy just to be in the comfy seats' mistakes of Labour and the Greens etc.

I have said it before...(MM's opening of the door etc) that it is that strength that FF and FG fear, not the high moral ground stuff they hide behind.

In fairness Wardy 16 and a few more would be a great asset to the free state.

Uhmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The electorate jumped on the popular bandwagon issues. SF were caught out because they didn't realise people were giving them protest votes. Likewise many voted green to give a nod to Greta and climate action.

Were we to have a new election then I think people will be more concerned about jobs and the economy and voting green would have a huge actual impact on them directly.

Hardly a peep about the housing crisis nowadays.

The electorate jumped on the popular bandwagon issues. SF were caught out because they didn't realise people were giving them protest votes. Likewise many voted green to give a nod to Greta and climate action.

Were we to have a new election then I think people will be more concerned about jobs and the economy and voting green would have a huge actual impact on them directly.

So the fall from 84% voteshare to 44% is just a populist reactionary fad?

Alrighty! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

christy c wrote: »
    Tbf the FG and SF threads are interchangeable, its difficult to tell one from the other. Its not a deliberate attempt by me to deflect.

It's pointless discussing any particular party in a vacum, as I said I choose the least worst. So for example if party X punched me in the face, theres no point spending ages saying how terrible they are if party Y promise to shoot me in the head.

Again I vote based on best of a bad lot, so if you see the reasons why I dont like SF, you could see how I would end up voting someone else (even if you dont agree with it).

I'm all for discussing and comparing parties. It's when you criticise FG government policy or the actions of a specific minister that you get the rodeo clown antics of folk running in waving hankies about the 'RA and something some councillor said years ago. It just ends in tit for tat bull.

Look at these examples:
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    You didn't even read the Sinn Fein Manifesto and you voted for them. Which suggest you read none of the parties manifesto's.

Yet you are on here everyday as if you are a political expert.
    mattser wrote: »
    Yea. They spend all day here as a relay team spouting the same scutter. Total hypocrites.

Seems to me you don't like SF because they remind you of Bertie style FF yet are supporting a FF/FG marriage, which is your right.
    I don't think SF are ready, but based on the damage FF/FG do I'll take SF. I'd rather the SD's had a stronger presence and even PBP. I don't see FF/FG looking after the tax payer or making decisions with the tax payer in mind.

How do you figure it's better for the country?
    There is no new politics, just different politicians and until we get a Govt without FG or FF then your post is just pure conjecture.
    I can't wait for the day SF coalesce with either FF or FG, then I wonder how the non shinner shinners will be able to point to the positives of that.

I am and will be very disappointed when/if any party I've hopes for goes in with FF/FG.
    Of course it is, except for what FF/FG would be like.
    Not everybody has a team. I don't care who 'wins' as long as they do right by the tax payer and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bowie wrote: »
    Seems to me you don't like SF because they remind you of Bertie style FF yet are supporting a FF/FG marriage, which is your right.
    I don't think SF are ready, but based on the damage FF/FG do I'll take SF. I'd rather the SD's had a stronger presence and even PBP. I don't see FF/FG looking after the tax payer or making decisions with the tax payer in mind.

I would agree with you 100% here. If the SD's could grow and get stronger to give another option would be a good thing. The more options that are there form a government with parties going into government on a equal footing and not what we have seen here with the large party vs the small party and the small party are suppose to be the ones to keep the large party in check but will supposedly, as we are told, get punished if they pull down the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Gee whizz, I wonder why?

So the fall from 84% voteshare to 44% is just a populist reactionary fad?

Alrighty! :)

Nope, a lot of it is diversification of the vote as more parties and independents became available
    The protest vote is never more than 10 or 11% tops which can go anywhere even back to base at times as it's never all the same people in it
    No one should seriously rely on a protest vote or claim the diversification as their own
    That would be the height of arrogance

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    I would agree with you 100% here. If the SD's could grow and get stronger to give another option would be a good thing. The more options that are there form a government with parties going into government on a equal footing and not what we have seen here with the large party vs the small party and the small party are suppose to be the ones to keep the large party in check but will supposedly, as we are told, get punished if they pull down the government.

Both Labour and the Greens before them would have likely won more respect had they brought down those governments. It was sitting on their hands got them punished IMO.

The Greens look like going for it again, unless maybe Martin challenges Eamo.
    I'd say MM and LV are loving it.
    There's a strong possibility FG are just putting on a show before we have another election. This is defo MM last waltz anyway.

Nope, a lot of it is diversification of the vote as more parties and independents became available
    The protest vote is never more than 10 or 11% tops which can go anywhere even back to base at times as it's never all the same people in it
    No one should seriously rely on a protest vote or claim the diversification as their own
    That would be the height of arrogance

Or disregard the trend of the SF vote increase, of which I posted earlier in this thread.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Or disregard the trend of the SF vote increase, of which I posted earlier in this thread.

How high do you think it will go?

Bandwagon issues like housing, homelessness, health, education, climate change?
    Any vote for any party bar the sitting government can be called a protest vote.

*peep*
    Family homelessness quadrupled in space of six years as crisis in housing spiralled
    For the past year, the total number of homeless adults and children in the country has hovered around 10,000, more than three times the figure when the Department of Housing began standardising data collection in 2014.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/family-homelessness-quadrupled-in-space-of-six-years-as-crisis-in-housing-spiralled-39202369.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm all for discussing and comparing parties. It's when you criticise FG government policy or the actions of a specific minister that you get the rodeo clown antics of folk running in waving hankies about the 'RA and something some councillor said years ago. It just ends in tit for tat bull.

Look at these examples:

What do you mean by “looking after the taxpayer”?

Could you explain the concept of making decisions “with the taxpayer in mind”

Given that FG dragged the country from a basket case to full employment AND had enough in reserve by prudent governance to avoid complete overrun from C19, on their own with a few Indos, I find it difficult to figure out your expectation of “damage” in the future.:confused:

Hopefully you are not confusing it with breaking out the coffers and lashing out the easy money before sinking without trace like many other lads from the TIGER era who like Icarus of old, flew too close to the sun.

Think of Greece, a chara, you can only get away with pruning the money tree for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

I've already specifically said I dont like SF because of their stupid policies, not because of who they remind me of.

I am hopeful that a sensible centre right party might emerge from this, if it does I will be straight out of the blocks to vote for them.

How high do you think it will go?

Who's to say?

I think the suggestion they would overtake FGs seat share was scoffed at earlier in the year though.

What do you mean by “looking after the taxpayer”?

Could you explain the concept of making decisions “with the taxpayer in mind”

Investing in social and affordable housing stock rather than partnering with private business so much.
    No more cronyism or sweet deals at a loss to the tax payer.
    Being fiscally conservative and prudent when engaging in multi-million/billion euro projects, keeping tabs, doing due diligence etc.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Who's to say?

I think the suggestion they would overtake FGs seat share was scoffed at earlier in the year though.

Do you think FG will overtake their seat share next time?

• Advertisement

Do you think FG will overtake their seat share next time?

Hard to say we this point, I'll wait on my previous Paddy Power punt being settled, and for an actual election to be called (and if FG have another meltdown during it) before I start betting on another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement