Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Luckily they weren't homosexual in West Belfast a few years before that. Wasn't tolerated by some of the hard men.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/people/sfs-gay-marriage-backing-contrast-past-intolerance-homosexuality-1390504

For all that Leo didn't support gay rights, he wasn't going around kneecapping them like those who had the support of many in Sinn Fein today.

You have some neck for calling people out on lack of support in the past for gay rights.

I called FG out for taking credit for something that was resisted by them.

Unlike you I have long since confronted how wrong the handling of sexual abuse and gay rights was across Irish society including in the IRA and SF. I don't point the finger at one boogeyman.

If Young FG had decided to champion all those brave men and women who stood up for these rights and apologised for their senior party's considerable effort in demonising and hindering them then they would have gotten kudos and not derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

blanch152 wrote: »
    Luckily they weren't homosexual in West Belfast a few years before that. Wasn't tolerated by some of the hard men.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/people/sfs-gay-marriage-backing-contrast-past-intolerance-homosexuality-1390504

For all that Leo didn't support gay rights, he wasn't going around kneecapping them like those who had the support of many in Sinn Fein today.

You have some neck for calling people out on lack of support in the past for gay rights.

Lot of stuff forgotten from those days Bee, same dudes are now ‘outraged’ and want answers for legitimate decisions.

Short memories on certain things Bee, but long memories on others.

Plenty of them around...... uhmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

McMurphy wrote: »
    My post didn't make it clear enough?

Don't you find it odd that a homosexual man did not want the same rights as heterosexuals?

You think him jumping on the popularity bandwagon ref this very same speech/referendum hasn't been covered on these threads multiple times already Mort?

I think,that you are using someones sexuality to have a dig at them,which I understand in social media is frowned upon
    You're also as guilty as blanch (with his 20 min louise o Reilly soc distance flouting) at making things up here to suit your narrative

As I said already,changing minds were fundamental to LGBTQ rights here

Unlike you I have long since confronted how wrong the handling of sexual abuse and gay rights was across Irish society i.

Explain to me,what evidence you have of what I have done in the above regard or What right you have at all to comment indeed on it,given, I've not spoken here about it,and we operate here under usernames

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

And SF did nothing for the minimum wage in Northern Ireland.

Get up the yard with your nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

atticu wrote: »
    And SF did nothing for the minimum wage in Northern Ireland.

Get up the yard with your nonsense.

Would SF be allowed set a higher minimum wage in NI than that of England/Scotland or Wales?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Explain to me,what evidence you have of what I have done in the above regard or What right you have at all to comment indeed on it,given, I've not spoken here about it,and we operate here under usernames

??

Why are you answering a post I addressed to somebody else?

I think,that you are using someones sexuality to have a dig at them,which I understand in social media is frowned upon
    You're also as guilty as blanch (with his 20 min louise o Reilly soc distance flouting) at making things up here to suit your narrative

As I said already,changing minds were fundamental to LGBTQ rights here

You will find that I'm a fairly liberally minded kind of guy Mort, I couldn't give a shiny shyte what sexuality a person is, they can be homo/bi/hetro/trans whatever floats their boat is cool with me.

People use this "you're trying to say something about Leo's sexuality" bolloxology is played out and pathetic.

What do you think I made up by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would SF be allowed set a higher minimum wage in NI than that of England/Scotland or Wales?

I have no idea.

Have they tried?

Francis said that SF had lobbied Westminster to change Laws in NI, why not lobby them to change minimum wage?

• Advertisement

??

Why are you answering a post I addressed to somebody else?

My apologies, I just had screenview up to Francie Brady :O
    Morto (literally)

I have no idea.

Have they tried?

Francis said that SF had lobbied Westminster to change Laws in NI, why not lobby them to change minimum wage?

It's time somebody commenting on a politics thread had 'an idea', don't you think. When you find out, maybe give Leo a ring about it too, as he doesn't have an idea either or he is lying.

What do you think I made up by the way?

That Leo didn't change his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

My recollection is society mostly opposed lgbt marriages and political parties were part and parcel of society moving on the subject with society
    A worlds first in the way that was done

I think digging up a speech against something, waving it going haha, that someone changed their mind on in the context of a whole society also moving to do likewise is digging up something that's not there just for the sake of it
    It's also dictatorial
    People have a right to legitimately be persuaded or change their minds
    If they didn't SF would still be on 1%
    We live in a democracy

It's shows the weakness of character of Varadkar. Changing your mind is allowed of course. However FG only seem to do it when public consensus changes and then try to revise any history of being on the wrong side of the argument.

That Leo didn't change his mind

Well obviously he changed his mind, the question being what made him change it?

You never answered my question either.
    Don't you find it odd that a homosexual man did not want the same rights as heterosexuals?

You never answered my question either.

The answer is No,I don't, at all
    He's no more immune to societies changes or the courage to overcome bigotry than anyone else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Geuze wrote: »
    All public servants have received some pay restoration during 2017-2019, including TDs.

2017 = Haddington Road agreement paycuts reversed

2018 = +1% pa in Jan and +1% in Oct

2019 = +1.75%

The country wasn't "on its knees financially" during 2017-2019.

They got a pay rise a few weeks ago they easily could have refused.

I have no idea.

Have they tried?

Why not lobby westminister for a border poll and we could stop all these half truths and pretension that stormont works?

I have no idea.

Have they tried?

They did but of course you dont know this as you haven't a clue what Sinn Fein do

smurgen wrote: »
    It's shows the weakness of character of Varadkar. Changing your mind is allowed of course. However FG only seem to do it when public consensus changes and then try to revise any history of being on the wrong side of the argument.

There is no revising of history anywhere,just osmosis of societal opinion,thankfully
    SF were once opposed to abortion
    One of their former T.D's, now independent left when he wanted to continue to oppose it

• Advertisement

There is no revising of history anywhere,just osmosis of societal opinion,thankfully
    SF were once opposed to abortion
    One of their former T.D's, now independent left when he wanted to continue to oppose it

Young SF (if such a party exist) are not on singing their adult party's praises and ignoring completely recent virulent opposition to denying abortion rights though.

Which is why, once again, Young FG are being derided on Twitter and Leo's recent past is being revisited again. A bit like the deluge after Leo decided to have a go at another party handing out food parcels.

They need a review committee to review tweets for toe curling self embarrassing content before tweeting.

No need to pay me millions for that bit of PR common sense. It's a freebie!

Young SF (if such a party exist) are not on singing their adult party's praises and ignoring completely recent virulent opposition to denying abortion rights though.

Which is why, once again, Young FG are being derided on Twitter and Leo's recent past is being revisited again. A bit like the deluge after Leo decided to have a go at another party handing out food parcels.

They need a review committee to review tweets for toe curling self embarrassing content before tweeting.

No need to pay me millions for that bit of PR common sense. It's a freebie!

I do not follow young FG on twitter,I'm probably in company with about 95% + of the population there
    So I'd say what they do in niche world,like their colleagues in SF matters little
    I certainly don't care
    What I do care about is stuff like who is up for election, what is their background, experience, opinions etc and can I find a compromise that fits best with my views

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think it shows how irrelevant FF have become when they barely rate a mention in over 6 k posts

The answer is No,I don't, at all
    He's no more immune to societies changes or the courage to overcome bigotry than anyone else

In what kind of topsy turvy world would a homosexual man (or woman) not want the same equal rights as heterosexuals?

You keep saying he changed his mind, we are not talking about eating a wagon wheel after saying he was going to have a KitKat after all.

Leo hadn't come out at the time of his infamous statement, but he was undoubtedly gay at the time. A homosexual man not wanting to have the same rights and opportunities as hetrosexuals was and is truly odd.

In what kind of topsy turvy world would a homosexual man (or woman) not want the same equal rights as heterosexuals?

You keep saying he changed his mind, we are not talking about eating a wagon wheel after saying he was going to have a KitKat after all.

Leo hadn't come out at the time of his infamous statement, but he was undoubtedly gay at the time. A homosexual man not wanting to have the same rights and opportunities as hetrosexuals was and is truly odd.

It is quite simple. He was more interested in political success than people's rights, including his own.
    It says a lot about him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It is quite simple. He was more interested in political success than people's rights, including his own.
    It says a lot about him tbh.

In your opinion-thankfully your opinion is not universally accepted.

Didn’t gun innocent people to achieve “political success” thankfully.

But of course a certain coterie would dance on the head of a pin for as long as it takes to deny that.

But very quick to try to ‘promulgate’ their kind of ‘logic’ over various platforms.

Umm. ....

He could been in the closet and trying to hide it....its a somewhat common thing,extremely homophobic person turns out to be gay

Afaik he only offially came out for the referendum,which to highlight how much.of a secure vote it was,it barely even registered as news/relevence in the debate

In your opinion-thankfully your opinion is not universally accepted.

Didn’t gun innocent people to achieve “political success” thankfully.

But of course a certain coterie would dance on the head of a pin for as long as it takes to deny that.

But very quick to try to ‘promulgate’ their kind of ‘logic’ over various platforms.

Umm. ....

I certainly never denied there was a major conflict/war on this island and the neighbouring one too.

What does a gay man denying gay rights until it was a politically popular thing to do say to you about that gay man Brendan? Try and focus on the topic.

Think it shows how irrelevant FF have become when they barely rate a mention in over 6 k posts

They got more seats than FG, they are more relevant than them.

If only Martin would grow a set of balls and join up with SF, it would save the FF party ahead of the next election

If a snap election is called, and we had to do postal votes every young person who dosnt bother voting will vote SF and it could be a landslide win

• Advertisement

Oh,I'm witnessing before my very eyes,someone who definitely hasn't a clue what he is talking about now
    Walk in their shoes (even now sadly) and experience what goes on in and against that community before cynically pegging political football's with them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement