Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Oh,I'm witnessing before my very eyes,someone who definitely hasn't a clue what he is talking about now
    Walk in their shoes (even now sadly) and experience what goes on in and against that community before cynically pegging political football's with them

Well that's me told and no mistake (you're also trying again to play the leave them gays alone card):D

Morty, I can do this all night - Leo was "firmly against SSM" until it was politically advantageous to not be, he then rode the crest of the wave championing them and gay rights after others had all the heavy lifting behind them.

He's a populous spoofer.

Sorry old pal, but I got all the evidence to back up what I'm saying - you on the other hand got diddly squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

McMurphy wrote: »
    Well that's me told and no mistake (you're also trying again to play the leave them gays alone card):D

Morty, I can do this all night - Leo was "firmly against SSM" until it was politically advantageous to not be, he then rode the crest of the wave championing them and gay rights after others had all the heavy lifting behind them.

He's a populous spoofer.

Sorry old pal, but I got all the evidence to back up what I'm saying - you on the other hand got diddly squat.

I'm detecting a pattern here
    Get something tweeted
    Carry it over to boards
    Feign outrage and make up stuff
    Rinse repeat
    Now before we proceed, having made what I think pretty clear,why should I continue to participate further in this charade with a tiny bored minority of a Saturday evening ?
    It'll have to be better than today's hogwash to merit a reply
    Consult if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Get something tweeted
    Carry it over to boards
    Rinse repeat
    Now before we proceed, having made what I think pretty clear,why should I continue to participate further in this charade with a tiny bored minority of a Saturday evening ?
    Consult if necessary

'Get something tweeted'? Are you insinuating Young FG have been infiltrated? :D

Get something tweeted
    Carry it over to boards
    Rinse repeat

Tinfoil hat nonsense tbh.
    Consult if necessary

The only thing you made clear was your posts of vague nothingness tbh, Leo is the gift that keeps on giving. Who would have thought making fairly staunch anti ssm statement's would come back to bite your arse when literally you come out - championing ssm during the ssm referendum you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

They did but of course you dont know this as you haven't a clue what Sinn Fein do

Great.

At least we know that SF have been unsuccessful in implementing their policies in NI.

That goes a long way to show how they might preform in government in the Republic of Ireland if they got their act together and formed a government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

atticu wrote: »
    I have no idea.

Have they tried?

Francis said that SF had lobbied Westminster to change Laws in NI, why not lobby them to change minimum wage?

I think you already know the answer to this, but hey trying to score a point on the boards comes first.

The Northern Ireland Assembly has very limited powers. What they do not have is powers over taxation and budgets, nor the ability to change laws that apply to the whole of the UK. The Northern Ireland assembly can change laws that are not Excepted and Reserved Matters.
    The UK government has a huge long list of laws that can only be amended by the UK government in the houses of Parliament, one of them being the 'national minimum wage'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_and_excepted_matters

Do you honestly think that half or more of the MP's in the houses of parliament give a toss about anything in Northern Ireland. Truth be told if you were to have a private ballot of those MP's they would sooner be rid of Northern Ireland being in the UK, but in a vote in the houses of parliament most wouldn't even dare to do so.

Without a majority vote in the houses of parliament minimum wage cannot be altered, but you knew that already. Even if SF took their seats in Westminster and every party in Northern Ireland united in raising a bill in the houses of parliament for what ever issue they simple would not have the numbers to get a bill passed

I find it constantly ironic that the FG party and its supporters are constantly criticising any party in Northern Ireland that actually does seek to support the nationalist communities and a United Ireland, or improves the lives of those living there.
    Especially when the party’s full official title is “Fine Gael – The United Ireland Party”.

So tell me what has FG done recently for Northern Ireland, that it was not forced to do by prior legal obligations, being that it is 'The United Ireland Party'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They got more seats than FG, they are more relevant than them.

If only Martin would grow a set of balls and join up with SF, it would save the FF party ahead of the next election

If a snap election is called, and we had to do postal votes every young person who dosnt bother voting will vote SF and it could be a landslide win

They got more seats but every wing nut FGophile is attacking every party but FF , have they become so innefectual that FG don't even consider name checking them, have they become the Magnolia party ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He could been in the closet and trying to hide it....its a somewhat common thing,extremely homophobic person turns out to be gay

Afaik he only offially came out for the referendum,which to highlight how much.of a secure vote it was,it barely even registered as news/relevence in the debate

If he can't stand up for his own beliefs and interests what hope has he of standing up for anyone elses? He's politically hollow. Someone who will do anything to further his career.

Jaysus. Simon has alot of explaining to do.

https://twitter.com/businessposthq/status/1264481261407649794?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

smurgen wrote: »
    Jaysus. Simon has alot of explaining to do.

Are NHI run by the minister?

Who We Are: Nursing Homes Ireland (NHI) is the national representative body for the private and voluntary nursing home sector.

• Advertisement

Who We Are: Nursing Homes Ireland (NHI) is the national representative body for the private and voluntary nursing home sector.

The memo states that National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) issued this guidance to them. NPHET briefs the minister on all of its operations.

Pubs, hotels and restaurants are private too.

The issue here is NPHET.

smurgen wrote: »

The other Simon has approached Verona with a formal coalition offer according to the news this morning.

They're just spinning about politely making noise about forming government and seeing if anyone takes them up on it.

GE2 is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The other Simon has approached Verona with a formal coalition offer according to the news this morning.

So her, free dinner Naughton, Lowry and some other gene pool petty bigot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Looks like FG have FF right where they want them.

It was FG's policy to leave the housing issue parked, and over the last 9 years or so, of FG being in power, that is exactly what they did.
    They leave that mess to be fixed by FF when they get their turn in power. This is how FG always handled Housing.

Now it looks like they have roped FF into leaving the housing issue parked..

""Housing issue ‘parked’ as government formation talks enters third week""

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/housing-issue-parked-in-government-discussions-1001461.html

A leopard never changes its spots..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In what kind of topsy turvy world would a homosexual man (or woman) not want the same equal rights as heterosexuals?

You keep saying he changed his mind, we are not talking about eating a wagon wheel after saying he was going to have a KitKat after all.

Leo hadn't come out at the time of his infamous statement, but he was undoubtedly gay at the time. A homosexual man not wanting to have the same rights and opportunities as hetrosexuals was and is truly odd.

Quite clearly you have no understanding or empathy for the situations that many gay people found themselves in over the years.

If I am wrong, and you do understand, your politicising of this is even more disgusting.

They got a pay rise a few weeks ago they easily could have refused.

What pay rise a few weeks ago?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Quite clearly you have no understanding or empathy for the situations that many gay people found themselves in over the years.

If I am wrong, and you do understand, your politicising of this is even more disgusting.

He didn't have to reveal a single thing about himself to support gay rights blanch.
    Hundreds of thousands of heterosexual people supported gay rights at the time.

He chose, as a gay man, to oppose reform. When the figure supporting gay marriage changed to what looked like a majority, he changed his mind.

He didn't have to oppose it.

Obviously I have more empathy than Leo as I'd not have made the same public statement opposing SSM to homosexual people.

He however (and as a gay man) did.

I understand completely - and am on the money in what I'm saying, Leo spoke out against Same Sex Marriage until it was politically advantageous not to do so.

He came out at a very convenient time - and rode the crest of the wave championing his party and attaching the success of the referendum to himself and his party despite speaking openly and publicly against them (as a gay man)

Think about it for a moment, the leader of FG as a gay man spoke out against the possible introduction of equal rights being introduced for gay People because it was politically advantageous to do so. Then went 180 on it when it was also politically advantageous to do so. He didn't have to make any statement on SSM at all, but he chose to, and he chose to oppose it.

That's fairly shallow and shows you what calibre of a man he is tbh.

It's an uncomfortable truth no doubt, but it is the truth none the less. You know it, Morty knows it, and every other person with a brain in their head knows it.

• Advertisement

He didn't have to reveal a single thing about himself to support gay rights blanch.
    Hundreds of thousands of heterosexual people supported gay rights at the time.

He chose, as a gay man, to oppose reform. When the figure supporting gay marriage changed to what looked like a majority, he changed his mind.

He didn't have to oppose it.
    I understand completely - and am on the money in what I'm saying, Leo spoke out against Same Sex Marriage until it was politically advantageous not to do so.

He came out at a very convenient time - and rode the crest of the wave championing his party and attaching the success of the referendum to himself and his party despite speaking openly and publicly against them (as a gay man)

Think about it for a moment, the leader of FG as a gay man spoke out against the possible introduction of equal rights being introduced for gay People because it was politically advantageous to do so. Then went 180 on it when it was also politically advantageous to do so.

That's fairly shallow and shows you what calibre of a man he is tbh.

It's an uncomfortable truth no doubt, but it is the truth none the less. You know it, Morty knows it, and every other person with a brain in their head knows it.

Unbelievable stuff from you guys.

Think about his traditional family background, think about his position in public life, think about what it meant for him to come out, I can't believe that either of you are that lacking in empathy or understanding.

That can only mean you are using his sexuality for political purposes.

Think about his traditional family background, think about his position in public life, think about what it meant for him to come out, I can't believe that either of you are that lacking in empathy or understanding.

Balls. I have said this before - we are supposedly a really liberal and progressive nation having an openly gay mixed race leader - but when/if you mention Leo's heritage or sexuality you are then tried to be labelled as a homophobic or a racist - it's horse dung and you know it.

No one is lacking empathy with him coming out by the way, fairplay for him for having the courage to do so, but one thing doesn't take away from the other.

I will repeat no-one made Leo make a public statement opposing SSM - he did that off his own accord. There are other gay people who were/are Irish politicians, can you give me any examples of them also opposing SSM?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ironically Coronavirus may have mostly solved housing supply issues given the number of Airbnb's are being released on to the main rental market.

He didn't have to reveal diddly squat about his sexuality to repeal the laws. His sexuality is private, and I don't care what it is.

He 'choose' to oppose the reforms demanded by campaigners and only changed his mind when popular support for reform grew.

I see Leo is trending on Twitter today, and to be completely fair to the man, I'm hardly his greatest fan, but some people need to get over themselves and stop the curtain twitching.

He's as entitled to a day off in the sun as anyone else is.

I see Leo is tending on Twitter today, and to be completely fair to the man, I'm hardly his greatest fan, but some people need to get over themselves and stop the curtain twitching.

He's as entitled to a day off in the sun as anyone else is.

Just imagine if it was a shinner. :)

Just imagine if it was a shinner. :)

Yeah, exactly.

I mean you had lads here berating MLMD because she got covid 19 after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

39 million owed to the tax payer? ?= irrelevant?

Wow, you've changed your tune about tax payers getting screwed ay!

Like you wax lyrical about here every day.

Unbelievable.

You didn't understand.
    The tenants who created the arrears are/will be housed. So if it's privately leased or social housing, the arrears is irrelevant. Using the arrears as a reason to go private is a costly con. The same people will be housed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Apple have pumped billions into our economy

Any links to this? I've seen a few docs on how Ireland is a haven for corporations who don't want to pay taxes. Just last night I saw one on how Starbucks paid little to no tax in the UK, renting the use of it's brand from another Starbucks abroad and using that as a tax write off etc. I'd expect Apple is at the same.
    So would you have links on the billions Apple pumps into the Irish economy? Might turn me around on the whole 13bn.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    Any links to this?

Good one here.

https://www.thecork.ie/2020/01/20/question-who-is-cork-largest-employer-answer-apple-with-6000-staff/

For all the hot air about the money held in the apple account it's fairly small potatoes in the scheme of MNC investment in Ireland.

The intel place alone is investing few billion in their factory now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement