Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Absolutely. And if you look in the relevant threads I criticised SF for this before.

So SF weren't good republicans till lately at all.
    Bigoted and moralistic, in Gerry Adams regime, yet they got the same, defence from their supporters and yourself.
    Today its Leo who is being criticised for doing an about turn,
    SF of course are to be praised for theirs, they saw the light and had a conversion of conscience.
    But Leo, his was only done for populism!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So SF weren't good republicans till lately at all.
    Bigoted and moralistic, in Gerry Adams regime, yet they got the same, defence from their supporters and yourself.
    Today its Leo who is being criticised for doing an about turn,
    SF of course are to be praised for theirs, they saw the light and had a conversion of conscience.
    But Leo, his was only done for populism!

SF got things wrong just like everybody else and are as fallible as anyone else. I have NEVER defended SF when I thought they were wrong about something. See the abortion issue for an example.

This is a FG thread and the subject of Leo's about face on this issue has arisen.

Do you have anything to say about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

christy c wrote: »
    You continue to make yourself look foolish, you were telling us a few weeks ago that Borris Johnson was making us look bad. Now this is 'great to see', you're just look like a fan shouting on in the stands. If the Dail were not happy with how the caretaker government were handling it they could have removed them whenever they wanted.

Your rubbish aside, I think the nursing homes will be a black mark against us. The focus did seem to be on beds and ICU capacity and this was unfortunately not looked after well enough.

Correct Christy, unfortunately far too many of similar behaviour in these parts.

SF got things wrong just like everybody else and are as fallible as anyone else. I have NEVER defended SF when I thought they were wrong about something. See the abortion issue for an example.

This is a FG thread and the subject of Leo's about face on this issue has arisen.

Do you have anything to say about that?

Of course I do, for whatever reason he changed his stance we now have same sex marriage by law with all the rights involved with it.
    He can claim his Govt held a referendum and introduced that piece of historic legislation in.
    No side swipes or slingshots can take that away from him or FG.
    If he has misgivings or moralistic personal feelings other than that, he was magnanimous enough to allow the people of Ireland make their own decision and legislated accordingly.
    True leadership on that one.
    Doesent mean I agree with large parts of everything FG done or do, but if I was trying to discredit Leo, it is certain I wouldn't be criticising him for that one.

Of course I do, for whatever reason he changed his stance we now have same sex marriage by law with all the rights involved with it.
    He can claim his Govt held a referendum and introduced that piece of historic legislation in.
    No side swipes or slingshots can take that away from him or FG.

The gay community seem to do every time Young FG and Leo acolytes try to claim credit. See why this conversation started.

• Advertisement

The gay community seem to do every time Young FG and Leo acolytes try to claim credit. See why this conversation started.

You're barrel scraping as usual.
    It's always someone else's fault or some other said this or some other said that.

It's always someone else's fault or some other said this or some other said that.

What happened when Young FG tried to take credit for reforms... the people who had sought those reforms went ballistic at the sheer effrontery of a party led by somebody who is on record as opposing those exact reforms, lying for political advantage.

Barrel scraping would be trying to deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The conversation literally started because that's exactly what happened.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The conversation literally started because that's exactly what happened.

Fabulous ain't it? It's a case of, 'If FG say we are taking the credit for this, nobody has any comeback, say the lads and lassies on here'...not even the people who actually led from the front and pressured the likes of Leo to change his mind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What happened when Young FG tried to take credit for reforms...

Remind me again,who was the clever buck that decided to navigate the opposition to two of the most contentious referenda with a constitutional convention? I said it earlier
    Yes Enda Kenny

Without that move,this country would still be waiting on contentious referenda to be held,we might never have had them

So I'd again respectfully suggest you take your uncool angles on this back into your own head,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, a vision you and others have to keep attacking with insinuations about homophobia because there is no defence of Leo here.

At the very least, we know that at one point he believed that rights should be blocked because he was following his own moral code.

That ^ is never the job of a democratic legislator in a republic. People like Leo, Lucinda Creighton and Peadar Tobin etc are 'lobbyists' (where it is perfectly ok to follow your moral beliefs) not legislators and certainly not democrats when they seek to deny rights.

This is a whole pile of sh!te that you are spouting.

The first, and most fundamental right, is the right to life.

Anybody who supports an organisation that supports terrorist killings is devoid of all morals according to your code. Time to look in the mirror.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Remind me again,who was the clever buck that decided to navigate the opposition to two of the most contentious referenda with a constitutional convention? I said it earlier
    Yes Enda Kenny

Without that move,this country would still be waiting on contentious referenda to be held,we might never have had them

So I'd again respectfully suggest you take your uncool angles on this back into your own head,thanks

You have to remember that Sinn Fein always take credit for things that everyone else does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    To be honest that is a bit rich from someone whos previous handle/username was the name of Leo Varadkar's gay partner, Matt Barrett.
    To be honest it was all a bit, lets say weird, on top of your deluge of anti-FG/Leo posts.

Like, who is MLMD's partner, or MM's? Who cares really?
    It would be a bit weird for someone to change their handler to lets say MLMD's husband, while they proceed to post anti-SF commentary, would you not agree?

If Leo Varadkar was not gay then there was no way in hell you would have used his wife/girlfriends name as your handler. That to me is low-level unconscious homophobia. You will of course deny it, but by using Matt Barrett's as your handler is certainly questionable.

There you go. Find one post by me making light of his sexual preference, I dare you.
    Apart from using the name any connotations are inferred by yourself or others to score points. We can add Varadkar's sexuality to the long list of names and incidents used by commentators like yourself to score points rather than address topics of discussion.
    You and others use the name chosen to duck and dodge comments relating to FG and it's policies. It's low grade discussion.

Yes Enda Kenny

If the Shinners did that you'd be the first to accuse them of fence sitting.
    If Enda believed people were entitled to their rights he should have put the legislation before the house.

You know,
    Theres a reason Mary Lou doesn't go on with the above sho1te,like you do
    She has more sense

Bringing SF/MLM into the mix again I see?

Apple pumping billions into the economy...?

Bowie wrote: »
    There you go. Find one post by me making light of his sexual preference, I dare you.
    Apart from using the name any connotations are inferred by yourself or others to score points. We can add Varadkar's sexuality to the long list of names and incidents used by commentators like yourself to score points rather than address topics of discussion.
    You and others use the name chosen to duck and dodge comments relating to FG and it's policies. It's low grade discussion.

The only people who ever mention Varadkar's sexuality on here are Sinn Fein supporters and the likes of McMurphy who isn't one.

It isn't relevant to any discussion.

Enda Kenny changed his mind on same-sex marriage, yet nobody ever mentions that he is a heterosexual, why, because it is not relevant.

But when it comes to Varadkar, certain posters make a big thing of it, wondering out loud about it, pretending it is not homophobic.

Remember the homophobic racist Sinn Fein councillor out in Tallaght - he was engaged in the same low-level drawing of attention to it. There are some bottom-feeder voters out there. Subtly mentioning Varadkar's sexual orientation is one way that Sinn Fein seek to attract them.

If the Shinners did that you'd be the first to accuse them of fence sitting.
    If Enda believed people were entitled to their rights he should have put the legislation before the house.

Nonsense, I'd say they were clever bucks using the mechanism to navigate the divided society into doing what's right
    That's what I think Enda was

Nonsense, I'd say they were clever bucks using the mechanism to navigate the divided society into doing what's right
    That's what I think Enda was

Jesus. :rolleyes:

Apple pumping billions into the economy...?
    I think they're there since 1980,currently employ 6000,with a downstream outside employment in ancillary services, that brings it up to around 12000
    I'll let you add up the salaries

Jesus. :rolleyes:
    I thought you were an advocate of leaving religion out of things

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    The only people who ever mention Varadkar's sexuality on here are Sinn Fein supporters and the likes of McMurphy who isn't one.

It isn't relevant to any discussion.

Enda Kenny changed his mind on same-sex marriage, yet nobody ever mentions that he is a heterosexual, why, because it is not relevant.

But when it comes to Varadkar, certain posters make a big thing of it, wondering out loud about it, pretending it is not homophobic.

Remember the homophobic racist Sinn Fein councillor out in Tallaght - he was engaged in the same low-level drawing of attention to it. There are some bottom-feeder voters out there. Subtly mentioning Varadkar's sexual orientation is one way that Sinn Fein seek to attract them.

That's not true. I've seen you do it more than anyone. I could be wrong, but you do it a lot.
    It's relevant if on the topic of sexuality and government policy. Like how men deciding legislation on abortion. Can be relevant to the discussion.
    You are trying to infer bias. It's quite simple one would assume a gay man would support gay rights. If they don't it's a talking point. Like if a woman was against giving women the vote. A talking point.

Now onto you favourite line of whataboutery...
    I believe he was an idiot and not fit for any office IMO.
    So in conclusion, some people are bigots.
    You feel SF use his sexuality to cadge votes in the same way you use it here to try lose SF votes. Fair enough.

I think they're there since 1980,currently employ 6000,with a downstream outside employment in ancillary services, that brings it up to around 12000
    I'll let you add up the salaries

So no evidence on that. Fair enough.
    You are giving Apple credit for their employees who pay their personal taxes. Okey doke so.

I thought you were an advocate of leaving religion out of things

No, you are entitled to your personal beliefs, but not when legislating for all.

How many times do I need to make the point.

No, you are entitled to your personal beliefs, but not when legislating for all.

How many times do I need to make the point.

What brought that on?

So no evidence on that. Fair enough.
    You are giving Apple credit for their employees who pay their personal taxes. Okey doke so.
    No I am giving apple credit for spending billions on wages in Ireland :rolleyes:

What brought that on?

The fabulous notion that Enda was gently prodding people to introduce legislation (he allegedly wanted) by proposing a people's convention. I suppose getting Leo to speak out against it was part of this cunning plan too?

You propose people's conventions when you don't want to take the responsibility yourself for introducing an passing legislation. Votes Mort, it was all about votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The fabulous notion that Enda was gently prodding people to introduce legislation (he allegedly wanted) by proposing a people's convention. I suppose getting Leo to speak out against it was part of this cunning plan too?

You propose people's conventions when you don't want to take the responsibility yourself for introducing an passing legislation. Votes Mort, it was all about votes.

Making a lot of ‘suppositions’ Francie?

Did Leo speak against the convention?
    Ah another make uppy from you
    Tell me, what did the government that didn't want(according to you) an abortion or SSM referendum do with the conventions recommendation ?

Did Leo speak against the convention?

Ah another make uppy from you
    Tell me, what did the government that didn't want(according to you) an abortion or SSM referendum do with the conventions recommendation ?

That's why they did it ffs. So they could say, they were acting on the 'people's convention'. Avoid responsibility, avoid any blame, take all the credit...win win. Except that those who remember fighting the fight know exactly who was talking from both sides of the gob.

I will use another god this time as I have no favs...dear Allah, the naivety of some!

• Advertisement

That's why they did it ffs. So they could say, they were acting on the 'people's convention'. Avoid responsibility, avoid any blame, take all the credit...win win. Except that those who remember fighting the fight know exactly who was talking from both sides of the gob.

I will use another god this time as I have no favs...dear Allah, the naivety of some!

Such Rubbish

Society was divided
    A clever tool was used to modernise it
    Swift action was taken on two of its recommendations

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement