Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nonsense, Sinn Fein will easily up their numbers by at least 5.

Leo and Martin it looks like have failed to deliver a Govt (thank ****ing God)

Roll on an election.

Id also expect a major increase in the numbers of Under 30s voting. As social media shows, enough of this same old same old, look after ourselves and the Rich and worry about everything else after.

You mean they'll up numbers by 55
    Boris Johnson has shown this,people are fed up with the stalemate so they will all vote SF
    Happy days for SF ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you could be right about 'losing votes'. But the polls show SF holding steady at 25%

If there is another election I think all of the parties will have to adjust their approach.

The theme of another election will centre(or should at least) around what you are going to do if you receive a mandate.
    Parties are going to have to be very clear about that imo.
    It won't be good enough to say 'we won't go into coalition' with x...nudge nudge wink wink' nor 'we will form a left wing government'.

You are mistaken.

The theme of the next election will be who is ready to go into government and step up to the plate. Only three parties have shown the necessary appetite. The others have stood around whistling in the wind.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Fg get destroyed in the election and varadkar currently has an approval rating he will never come near again, and cant capitalise on it. Karna for his betrayal of workers!

How can the homeless numbers ever be sorted ? It's a choice between free housing or extortionate housing....

The homeless numbers are down for the last three months in a row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »
    The homeless numbers are down for the last three months in a row.

Bravo Bravo just the 9,500 or so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are mistaken.

The theme of the next election will be who is ready to go into government and step up to the plate. Only three parties have shown the necessary appetite. The others have stood around whistling in the wind.

We'll be having another election, precisely because the 'appetite' was not there after 128 days of negotiations/machinations.

Parties will not be allowed to get away with bull****ting and lying to the electorate.
    Michael Martin is pivotal to this IMO, he clearly and openly lied to the electorate and is a lot of the reason we will have reached the impasse of another election. His overweening desire to be Taoiseach has been allowed to destroy the process imo and he should be called out on it.

• Advertisement

Bravo Bravo just the 9,500 or so now.

Per head of population its lower than the UK and France our two nearest neighbours and certainly a good bit better than Northern Ireland
    5 years of glorious FFFGG government should halve it
    We are the best little country in Europe

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Per head of population its lower than the UK and France our two nearest neighbours and certainly a good bit better than Northern Ireland
    5 years of glorious FFFGG government should halve it
    We are the best little country in Europe

Well that's ****ing fantastic. Il tell that to the next homeless person/family I see.

Michael Martin is pivotal to this IMO, he clearly and openly lied to the electorate and is a lot of the reason we will have reached the impasse of another election. His overweening desire to be Taoiseach has been allowed to destroy the process imo and he should be called out on it.
    You cannot lie about the future
    Otherwise if I was unfortunate enough not to get the points to be a doctor in the leaving ,I and others would be lying about saying I'm going to be a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Nonsense, Sinn Fein will easily up their numbers by at least 5.

Leo and Martin it looks like have failed to deliver a Govt (thank ****ing God)

Roll on an election.

Id also expect a major increase in the numbers of Under 30s voting. As social media shows, enough of this same old same old, look after ourselves and the Rich and worry about everything else after.

You have a worryingly simplistic 'goodies v's baddies' view of life mate.

This is the kind of polarising nonsense that keeps on being pushed & bought into by gullible voters.

You have a worryingly simplistic 'goodies v's baddies' view of life mate.

This is the kind of polarising nonsense that keeps on being pushed & bought into by gullible voters.

No thats the way the world works mate. If you lie and have the country on its kness regarding homelessness, healthcare, childcare, rents through the roof, people will have enough.

The election told us that

• Advertisement

No thats the way the world works mate. If you lie and have the country on its kness regarding homelessness, healthcare, childcare, rents through the roof, people will have enough.

The election told us that

That was the last election.

What people have learned since is that Sinn Fein are not ready, willing or able for government. Yes, those who only protest and complain will still vote for them, but it won't be anyway near enough.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You cannot lie about the future
    Otherwise if I was unfortunate enough not to get the points to be a doctor in the leaving ,I and others would be lying about saying I'm going to be a doctor

'I will not go into a coalition with Fine Gael', became a lie, the minute Michael Martin sat down to negotiate a coalition with FG.

That was the last election.

What people have learned since is that Sinn Fein are not ready, willing or able for government. Yes, those who only protest and complain will still vote for them, but it won't be anyway near enough.

It was the most recent chance the public had to vote. How did FG do again?

Hows them apples?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland is not "on its knees" by any reasonable metric.

'I will not go into a coalition with Fine Gael', became a lie, the minute Michael Martin sat down to negotiate a coalition with FG.

Pretty much everything politicians say before an election should have the proviso "provided we achieve a majority" mentally attached to it. Without knowing the make up of the upcoming Dáil no one can realistically promise anything 100%.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ireland is not "on its knees" by any reasonable metric.

Tell that to the near 10,000 homeless and thousands stuck paying ridiculous rents

Pretty much everything politicians say before an election should have the proviso "provided we achieve a majority" mentally attached to it. Without knowing the make up of the upcoming Dáil no one can realistically promise anything 100%.

Martin was aware that every indicator showed that there would be no majority for anyone.

He knew exactly what he was doing. In fairness to FG, they said categorically that they would not deal with SF and didn't. Martin opened the door to SF when he thought he had in or around 50 seats.

Tell that to the near 10,000 homeless and thousands stuck paying ridiculous rents

I hate to break it to you, but under no government will homelessness disappear. Equally, many countries have issues with high rents.

Is there any country in the world not on its knees by your metrics out of curiosity? It is absurd hyperbole.

Martin was aware that every indicator showed that there would be no majority for anyone.

He knew exactly what he was doing. In fairness to FG, they said categorically that they would not deal with SF and didn't. Martin opened the door to SF when he thought he had in or around 50 seats.

Well, fair enough. I don't have much time for Martin and he should have been more circumspect with his comments on election night. Ultimately though, my view is that the electorate does not reward nuance or equivocation and it is their/our own fault that politics is worked this way.

Everyone is going to have to reset their viewpoints going forward as I suspect all the "traditional" governing coalitions (FF+small parties, FG+Lab) are not viable for now. But I also suspect we will be in a similar impasse just of a different hue if we do have another election.

No lad,he only ended up with the points to be a nurse not a doctor
    It's not a lie that what he steadfastly wanted to do was refused of him
    Otherwise we are all liars
    Don't be devaluing the word

• Advertisement

I see you have dropped the false claims of thousands leaving the country in disgust, at least we are making some progress towards the truth.

What will you do if the homeless numbers keep going down?

By those standards, Mary-Lou was a bigger liar.

She said during the election that she wouldn't go into government with either FG or FF. Afterwards she complained that they wouldn't talk to her and wrote to them asking them to talk to her.

Martin lied about talks with one party, she lied about two.

I see you have dropped the false claims of thousands leaving the country in disgust, at least we are making some progress towards the truth.

What will you do if the homeless numbers keep going down?

Your the one making accusations against people, and when asked to show where they said it, you talk ****e

By those standards, Mary-Lou was a bigger liar.

She said during the election that she wouldn't go into government with either FG or FF.

Where did she say that? That's another of your lies blanch. She said
    "I want us to have a government for the people, ideally without Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil in it.

"I've said through the campaign that we need change, we need a new government.

"The best outcome is a government without Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil - that's the first thing I went to test, whether that is possible."

Boom

Well by your standards,which is all Blanch is sarcastically using,she lied right there because she didn't bother negotiating with the majority of the Dáil who aren't FF or FG

I'd be kinder though and say,she too cannot lie about the future

Chemo Wards Closed

Schools Closed

Pubs Open. Monday week ya boy ya

Thats how FG are handling the crisis currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Chemo Wards Closed

Schools Closed

Pubs Open. Monday week ya boy ya

Thats how FG are handling the crisis currently

'Chemo wards' aren't closed. And things like radiotherapy in St. Luke's continued throughout this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well don't make categorical promises then. Pat Rabbitte showed how to tread that fine line in the run-up to the 07 election. He delivered ringing lines like "I have no intention of putting FF back into government," "I want to see FF out of office for a generation" without ever quite ruling out Labour going into government with FF. The voters got the message...

• Advertisement

Here is a much different quote from her, just after the election too:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mary-lou-mcdonald-the-idea-of-fianna-fail-and-fine-gael-being-returned-again-for-five-years-is-unthinkable-982194.html

"The idea of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael being returned again for five years is unthinkable,” she said"

Yet, now, she complains that they won't talk to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement