Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That's probably more of a reflection on who you follow
    As yes you can also follow like minded people in your bubble and have no need to trawl....

I follow (I have said this before) a cross section of all our media and international media and politicians of all hues...yes even Fine Gael and Fianna Fail and the DUP etc etc.

If you aren't doing this, then you are in a 'bubble'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I follow (I have said this before) a cross section of all our media and international media and politicians of all hues...yes even Fine Gael and Fianna Fail and the DUP etc etc.

If you aren't doing this, then you are in a 'bubble'.

I'd say you also follow a cross section of the most vociferous Mal contents you can find is the impression I get
    I follow about a fifth of the people who follow me,some news outlets,scientific and economic interests and a few T.D's including the party leaders
    Twitter is a bubble medium period

I'd say you also follow a cross section of the most vociferous Mal contents you can find is the impression I get
    That would be you just assuming stuff again. I don't know how many times I have to say it, if you are not aiming for a cross section of all opinion...that you agree with or don't agree with...then you are doing it wrong and creating a bubble.
    I follow about a fifth of the people who follow me,some news outlets,scientific and economic interests and a few T.D's including the party leaders
    Twitter is a bubble medium period

Again, not if you use it properly.

For instance not 'assuming stuff' about people when you haven't a clue what they do or don't do is a good start. Which is what you just did here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I love how angry these innocuous quotes make some people. Pouring over his speech looking for something to be angry about.

:D

Angry? He's making a laughingstock of himself :)
    Maybe a little embarrassed for the country.
    I expect lines from the Take That reunion press conference if this cartel goes ahead.

I'm amused at how some chime in to claim people are bitter and angry because they point out the emperor has no clothes...or integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That would be you just assuming stuff again. I don't know how many times I have to say it, if you are not aiming for a cross section of all opinion...that you agree with or don't agree with...then you are doing it wrong and creating a bubble.

For instance not 'assuming stuff' about people when you haven't a clue what they do or don't do is a good start. Which is what you just did here.

It's simply a case of FG not liking it or accepting it when the public is critical of them. It's the people that are wrong, it's the medium etc. Then we've the insults and low brow derogatory labels all because the party can't take just criticism on the chin or election results They choose to turn on the public rather than look at themselves. It's a very Trump tactic to pick a few random tweets and talk like they are part of some grand conspiracy. Its Twitter that's the problem, the fake media.

You can see it in their blind refusal to discuss Ireland's Call were about 70,000 applied and only 111 were recruited and through some private agency. These were good people trying to help out. The unions were okay with HSE workers volunteering in private hospitals. A heartless PR stunt from FG.
    You can also see it in other areas. Varadkar using lifted speech content or the silence when FG councillor O'Leary admired the fascist blue shirts.
    Twitter and Facebook give individuals a platform. Individuals can be good or bad. It's pretty simple.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    It's simply a case of FG not liking it or accepting it when the public is critical of them. It's the people that are wrong,.
    That doesn't fit in with Vradakar's initial reaction to the result,the willingness to go into opposition
    Normally it's the people in denial that go on and on and on about how they should be in government when they're only a quarter of the electorate

Now that's just balderdash
    Theres plenty cranks on this site to last anyone a lifetime without looking for them elsewhere
    You may need more sources, but to each their own
    As regards my opinion formed from what you post here,Obviously I don't expect you to agree with it
    Obviously!

Now that's just balderdash
    Theres plenty cranks on this site to last anyone a lifetime without looking for them elsewhere
    You may need more sources, but to each their own
    As regards my opinion formed from what you post here,Obviously I don't expect you to agree with it
    Obviously!

You are proving me correct with every reply.

Any counter opinion is from 'cranks'.

Typical statement from somebody living in a bubble.

Sure there are 'cranks' but the tweet posted here that we are discussing is not from one. It is from somebody as dismayed as me and many others that a Taoiseach would be taking bets on wedging an innocuous meaningless cliché into a serious broadcast.

It's simply a case of FG not liking it or accepting it when the public is critical of them. It's the people that are wrong, it's the medium etc. Then we've the insults and low brow derogatory labels all because the party can't take just criticism on the chin or election results They choose to turn on the public rather than look at themselves. It's a very Trump tactic to pick a few random tweets and talk like they are part of some grand conspiracy. Its Twitter that's the problem, the fake media.

You can see it in their blind refusal to discuss Ireland's Call were about 70,000 applied and only 111 were recruited and through some private agency. These were good people trying to help out. The unions were okay with HSE workers volunteering in private hospitals. A heartless PR stunt from FG.
    You can also see it in other areas. Varadkar using lifted speech content or the silence when FG councillor O'Leary admired the fascist blue shirts.
    Twitter and Facebook give individuals a platform. Individuals can be good or bad. It's pretty simple.

Excellent post Bowie...that Mortelaro has just proved a section of it, is proof that you are spot on.

You are proving me correct with every reply.

Any counter opinion is from 'cranks'.

Typical statement from somebody living in a bubble.

Sure there are 'cranks' but the tweet posted here that we are discussing is not from one. It is from somebody as dismayed as me and many others that a Taoiseach would be taking bets on wedging an innocuous meaningless cliché into a serious broadcast.

A minute ago you were giving out about me 'assuming'
    Now you're assuming that I think any counter opinion ' is from a crank

You don't half go out of the way to make yourself look to me like one
    No one is terribly worried about the'mean girls' references other than cranks and people that like the sound of their own voices,that much I'm sure of

• Advertisement

A minute ago you were giving out about me 'assuming'
    Now you're assuming that I think any counter opinion ' is from a crank

You don't half go out of the way to make yourself look to me like one
    No one is terribly worried about the'mean girls' references other than cranks and people that like the sound of their own voices,that much I'm sure of

As I said at the outset of this..it is no big deal, but it just feeds into the view that Varadkar is a detached, cold and aloof person, more interested in image than anything that impacts on ordinary people.

What is more interesting in my view is the absolute disregard shown here by FG supporters.

Bowie is spot on in his analysis. Calling any opinion you don't like as from a 'crank' is easy, lazy and ultimately revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Not outraged in the slightest bishop, but when you read the tweet, thousands dead hundreds of thousands out of work etc, it's not the time and place for a piss take quote from a chickflick movie.

I could imagine you getting your beige y-fronts in a right old twist had Mary Lou McDonald or someone else from the Shinners drop a movie line from the spice girls movie while speaking about the victim's of the troubles.

But but but. Coming up.

Some people need to get over themselves.

What sort of preciousness do they carry around in real life if they are getting excited by quotes from movies in speeches by the Taoiseach?

They really need to get a grip. Would they prefer Johnson or Trump? It is a level of silly pettiness beyond anything seen before. Next they will be complaining about his choice of beer or t-shirt. Pathetic drivel, but we are on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who really cares about quoting from Lord of the Rings?

Nobody I know in real life, and apart from yourself, Francie and McMurphy, the permanently outraged as I sometimes think of you, nobody on here either.

You are also right about the Trump tactic, it sometimes seems that posters on here search the deepest recesses of Twitter to find something critical of Varadkar and drag it out from under its rock as if it means something.

As I said at the outset of this..it is no big deal, but it just feeds into the view that Varadkar is a detached, cold and aloof person, more interested in image than anything that impacts on ordinary people.

What is more interesting in my view is the absolute disregard shown here by FG supporters.

Bowie is spot on in his analysis. Calling any opinion you don't like as from a 'crank' is easy, lazy and ultimately revealing.

Lol at the notion that a person who has a bit of craic with his speech is detached cold and aloof
    LoL
    Textbook crankery

Lol at the notion that a person who has a bit of craic with his speech is detached cold and aloof
    LoL
    Textbook crankery

What, are you now withdrawing into the bubble and pretending he doesn't have a reputation for being cold and aloof?

What he has done here, to the office of An Taoiseach, is to trivialise it. Whenever he has to broadcast again, we will first have to check if he is sincere in what he says or is he trying to win a bet.

PR and attempting to ingratiate himself with the celebrity set (remember Kylie anyone) is what he will be known for.

Much as I detest Michael Martin and his sleeveenism, I don't think he would trivialise the office in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Not outraged in the slightest bishop, but when you read the tweet, thousands dead hundreds of thousands out of work etc, it's not the time and place for a piss take quote from a chickflick movie.

I could imagine you getting your beige y-fronts in a right old twist had Mary Lou McDonald or someone else from the Shinners drop a movie line from the spice girls movie while speaking about the victim's of the troubles.

But but but. Coming up.

I don't wear the same, type of underwear as you,
    But but but.

Childish in the extreme Mc.

LoL
    Textbook crankery

Tbf varadkar is generally viewed as someone who thinks doing his job is beneath him

Like its kinda where the poshboy meme comes from.......

your free to.attach label.of crankery to anyone who disagrees with you,but it is somewhat of a poor insulation from constructive critism

(bear in mind,such arrogance and dismissive attitude cost em last election though and seems same old habits are returning with rising poll numbers)

What, are you now withdrawing into the bubble and pretending he doesn't have a reputation for being cold and aloof?

What he has done here, to the office of An Taoiseach, is to trivialise it. Whenever he has to broadcast again, we will first have to check if he is sincere in what he says or is he trying to win a bet.

PR and attempting to ingratiate himself with the celebrity set (remember Kylie anyone) is what he will be known for.

Much as I detest Michael Martin and his sleeveenism, I don't think he would trivialise the office in that way.

Another interesting faux outrage missalette
    I won't print it out, to save paper
    Being green is important to me

Another interesting faux outrage missalette
    I won't print it out, to save paper
    Being green is important to me

You prove the point with every post.

You cannot get a better example of undying, uncritical support IMO.

Carry on Mort.

You prove the point with every post.

You cannot get a better example of undying, uncritical support IMO.

Carry on Mort.

I think you're worried
    Why aren't you out canvassing if all this is so crucial to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

LoL
    Textbook crankery

I'm sure all the people who lost family members in the nursing homes think he's hilarious,

I'm sure all the people who lost family members in the nursing homes think he's hilarious,

you dont lose your sense of humour when you lose someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I think you're worried
    Why aren't you out canvassing if all this is so crucial to you?

Canvassing in the middle of a virus pandemic is ok with you?

So you would have no problem with there being another election if the coalition vote fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You might if you listened to his first Covid speech, the one where he quoted Sarah Connor.

efanton wrote: »
    Canvassing in the middle of a virus pandemic is ok with you?

So you would have no problem with there being another election if the coalition vote fails?

Phone canvassing?

You might if you listened to his first Covid speech, the one where he quoted Sarah Connor.

Yeah Right..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Phone canvassing?

You do know there a data protection rules against unsolicited phone calls?
    Any political party that engaged in blind canvassing via a phone would be in hot water pronto.

efanton wrote: »
    You do know there a data protection rules against unsolicited phone calls?
    Any political party that engaged in blind canvassing via a phone would be in hot water pronto.

I didnt,perhaps letters then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't wear the same, type of underwear as you,
    But but but.

Childish in the extreme Mc.

No rebuttal at all, and for by that, uses a "I know you are but what am I" retort, and tops if off with accusations of childish behaviour. :D

It was a fair enough analogy, if ever Pearse Doherty or Mary Lou McDonald uses a quote from a teenage chick flick movie when making a statement about thousands of people dying you'd be up in arms, and I'd be behind you in the queue.

Btw, a wet week ago you thought it was hilarious when it was revealed that Leo's speech had a line lifted directly from a hobbits line in a movie, you have shifted your view that anyone pointing out these movie lines are potentially misplaced and inappropriate given the context is just whinging.

You're trying too hard to be all things to all people bish, but the bias keeps oozing out of you all too easily.

You've made my point for me in your last sentence
    It's very easy to trawl the internet, especially twitter to find vindication for whatever angst you want

Another poster who doesn't understand how twitter works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

We could forgive him if he was funny. He’s not funny so the issue is it comes off as obnoxious. Best he leaves levity to people who have the tactfulness to to do it.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    We could forgive him if he was funny. He’s not funny so the issue is it comes off as obnoxious. Best he leaves levity to people who have the tactfulness to to do it.

I'm glad it's not left to your posts anyway,we'd all have to go on anti depressants and retire our laughing muscles

Another poster who doesn't understand how twitter works.

Yes you're better at the comedy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement