Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    No rebuttal at all, and for by that, uses a "I know you are but what am I" retort, and tops if off with accusations of childish behaviour. :D

It was a fair enough analogy, if ever Pearse Doherty or Mary Lou McDonald uses a quote from a teenage chick flick movie when making a statement about thousands of people dying you'd be up in arms, and I'd be behind you in the queue.

Btw, a wet week ago you thought it was hilarious when it was revealed that Leo's speech had a line lifted directly from a hobbits line in a movie, you have shifted your view that anyone pointing out these movie lines are potentially misplaced and inappropriate given the context is just whinging.

You're trying too hard to be all things to all people bish, but the bias keeps oozing out of you all too easily.

Another poster who doesn't understand how twitter works.

Not in shock horror Faux outrage about it, it's funny yes.
    I cant see how anybody can be outraged by it frankly and it shows a clear lack of anything else to whinge about or else whinge about everything.
    It's hardly the same as using the N word or up da ra like, is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tbf varadkar is generally viewed as someone who thinks doing his job is beneath him

He is generally viewed as thinking leading the country is beneath him? Not entirely convinced that is based on anything whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not in shock horror Faux outrage about it, it's funny yes.
    I cant see how anybody can be outraged by it frankly and it shows a clear lack of anything else to whinge about or else whinge about everything.
    It's hardly the same as using the N word or up da ra like, is it?

Just on this one, you'll forgive me if I file your faux outrage accusations in my "couldn't give a flying shyte" cabinet.

You're on record on this site of accusing Eamon Ryan of being a racist because he used the N word, despite knowing full well the context in which he used it.

Now, I am not naïve bishop I don't really believe you think Ryan's a racist, but you labelled Gerry Adams as one too because he also used the N word (again despite knowing the context) and so the script was written and needed to be adhered to.

It was a silly and inappropriate word to use by both, but using it doesn't make either racist.

Using the movie quote in the same speech Leo mentioned the thousands dead and hundreds of thousands out of work was not the time and the place for it, that doesn't mean I'm "outraged by it" faux or genuine.

Time and a place bishop, time and a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Using the movie quote in the same speech Leo mentioned the thousands dead and hundreds of thousands out of work was not the time and the place for it, that doesn't mean I'm "outraged by it" faux or genuine.

Time and a place bishop, time and a place.

You do appear to have niche opinions, like
    a lot of the twittersphere

Thanks for sharing ,you won't mind if I share my more mainstream one. Nobody gives a sh1te,much less notice the mean girls reference

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You do appear to have niche opinions, like
    a lot of the twittersphere

Thanks for sharing ,you won't mind if I share my more mainstream one. Nobody gives a sh1te,much less notice the mean girls reference

Wrong again. It featured as a news item across all media as it was designed to do.

• Advertisement

LoL is right but I was talking about opinions
    We know it was reported on
    Nobody gives a sh1te,twittersphere and your niche outrage excepted

Hate to be the one to have to break this to you, but what you actually said was no one noticed the mean girls quote.

From your post.

Not much point trying to shift the auld goalposts now Morty, the mean girls quote was noticed by a wide section of various media outlets.

You were 100% wrong on that one chief.

LoL is right but I was talking about opinions
    We know it was reported on
    Nobody gives a sh1te,twittersphere and your niche outrage excepted

What you said, 'that nobody noticed' was either a lie or evidence that you aren't very aware of what is going on in the media you profess to know about.

Hate to be the one to have to break this to you, but what you actually said was no one noticed the mean girls quote.

From your post.

Not much point trying to shift the auld goalposts now Morty, the mean girls quote was noticed by a wide section of various media outlets.

You were 100% wrong on that one chief.

Oh yeah, I have to give you that one
    Pity for what you're at tho,that no one gives a sh1te

• Advertisement

What you said, 'that nobody noticed' was either a lie or evidence that you aren't very aware of what is going on in the media you profess to know about.

I was of course,not that you're going to pretend you knew, referring to the general public versus the niche twittersphere
    Boy ye are angry :D

I was of course,not that you're going to pretend you knew, referring to the general public versus the niche twittersphere
    Boy ye are angry :D

Not angry enough to handwave away desperately like you have been doing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The use of smiles is a sure giveaway of anger in my experience. Total passive aggressive. That's when ya know they're pissed.

LoL
    You guys need to sack whoever's wrote the weekend's crib notes for ye,especially if it's the same guy who wrote the picnic in the park ones,sounds like it.
    Because no one outside of the usual niche,gives a sh1te about mean girls references
    smurgen wrote: »
    The use of smiles is a sure giveaway of anger in my experience. Total passive aggressive. That's when ya know they're pissed.

Really? Good one :D:D:D
    Here have another few,I'm really really angry:D :D:D
    mortelaro doesn't actually give a sh1te
    Clearly that hurts
    Awwww shucks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

I think its rather childish to include these quotes, a one off would be understandable because the speech writer may have liked the sound of it. But I don't understand why he'd do it repeatedly, maybe it's to generate publicity but I'm not sure how good that tactic is.

christy c wrote: »
    I think its rather childish to include these quotes, a one off would be understandable because the speech writer may have liked the sound of it. But I don't understand why he'd do it repeatedly, maybe it's to generate publicity but I'm not sure how good that tactic is.

Seems last one was for a fifty euro bet.

Leo Varadkar wins bet with Mean Girls quote

Not worth being outraged by it, but "in jokes" when making statement's about thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands out of work, isn't the time nor the place to do so.

There will be thousands of families with dead relatives who most likely won't get the humour or light hearted banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That doesn't fit in with Vradakar's initial reaction to the result,the willingness to go into opposition
    Normally it's the people in denial that go on and on and on about how they should be in government when they're only a quarter of the electorate

You're putting a spin on it.
    Never said FG denied the results. It's easy to tell yourself and others that the reason behind the results was ignorance, not normal people, racists etc.. Just some of the terms you'll read on here describing the electorate who didn't vote FG this time.
    Nice attempt at diversion. What FG say and do and the attitude of yourself and others to social media has nothing to do with that.
    You responded to my comment without addressing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    Christ. Lieo with the verbal diarrhoea once again. He's worse than his good old buddy Trump for the hyperbole.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1274039765562728454?s=19
    Did he get down and funky with the kidz this time? Or did he stick in an auld Heaney quote?
    Did he ever, quoting Mean Girls this time:cool:

Some people really have nothing left to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Not worth being outraged by it, but "in jokes" when making statement's about thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands out of work, isn't the time nor the place to do so.

There will be thousands of families with dead relatives who most likely won't get the humour or light hearted banter.

No I meant I'm not sure why he'd do it repeatedly as in what was his motivation, €50 hardly seems like much of an incentive. I'd guess it might be the publicity.

But yeah I agree, a time and a place and this wasn't it.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Some people need to get over themselves.

What sort of preciousness do they carry around in real life if they are getting excited by quotes from movies in speeches by the Taoiseach?

They really need to get a grip. Would they prefer Johnson or Trump? It is a level of silly pettiness beyond anything seen before. Next they will be complaining about his choice of beer or t-shirt. Pathetic drivel, but we are on boards.

How well is Varadkar doing when you need to use Trump and Johnson as the 'dem others would be worse'?
    Who really cares about quoting from Lord of the Rings?

Nobody I know in real life, and apart from yourself, Francie and McMurphy, the permanently outraged as I sometimes think of you, nobody on here either.

You are also right about the Trump tactic, it sometimes seems that posters on here search the deepest recesses of Twitter to find something critical of Varadkar and drag it out from under its rock as if it means something.

These comments are akin to elbowing your opponent in the face when you think the ref isn't looking. Anything to try come out on top.
    While people are dying Varadkar is lifting speech material from Lord of the Rings. This is disrespectful and shows a lack of compassion and integrity. IMO. I could use language you'd understand like, what kind of decent moral person would something something...but I'll not go down that path.
    Saying commenting on material the political leader of the nation gives in a national address is 'searching the deepest recesses of Twitter to find something critical of Varadkar and drag it out from under its rock', is just not credible.
    Using bile like 'silly pettiness beyond anything seen before' 'permanently outraged' 'pathetic drivel' proves my earlier point.
    I see you side stepped the Ireland's call farce and O'Leary admiring fascists again. Where you being permanently outraged when you were rightly critical of Holohan and his comments? But O'Leary never made your outrage o'meter tick?

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    No I meant I'm not sure why he'd do it repeatedly as in what was his motivation, €50 hardly seems like much of an incentive. I'd guess it might be the publicity.

But yeah I agree, a time and a place and this wasn't it.

Yeah my fifty quid bet reference was tongue in cheek, it's hardly Varadkars greatest gaffe, but as I said already just not the time and the place.

Some people really have nothing left to complain about.

Wouldn't you love that to be the case.

Not outraged in the slightest bishop, but when you read the tweet, thousands dead hundreds of thousands out of work etc, it's not the time and place for a piss take quote from a chickflick movie.

I could imagine you getting your beige y-fronts in a right old twist had Mary Lou McDonald or someone else from the Shinners drop a movie line from the spice girls movie while speaking about the victim's of the troubles.

But but but. Coming up.

This is beyond silly.

What is the problem with the actual words?

"Some have asked whether there is a limit to what we can achieve," Mr Varadkar said, before drawing upon a line from the hit movie: "My answer is that the limit does not exist."

What is the actual issue? If there are y-fronts getting in a twist, I suggest that some people look in the mirror.

As I said earlier, no big deal in and off it's self but it all adds up to give the impression of detachment and coldness, which is more or less where we where at before the pandemic arrived.

Bowie wrote: »
    How well is Varadkar doing when you need to use Trump and Johnson as the 'dem others would be worse'?

These comments are akin to elbowing your opponent in the face when you think the ref isn't looking. Anything to try come out on top.
    While people are dying Varadkar is lifting speech material from Lord of the Rings. This is disrespectful and shows a lack of compassion and integrity. IMO. I could use language you'd understand like, what kind of decent moral person would something something...but I'll not go down that path.
    Saying commenting on material the political leader of the nation gives in a national address is 'searching the deepest recesses of Twitter to find something critical of Varadkar and drag it out from under its rock', is just not credible.
    Using bile like 'silly pettiness beyond anything seen before' 'permanently outraged' 'pathetic drivel' proves my earlier point.
    I see you side stepped the Ireland's call farce and O'Leary admiring fascists again. Where you being permanently outraged when you were rightly critical of Holohan and his comments? But O'Leary never made your outrage o'meter tick?

Who should he quote from?

Shakespeare? Jesus? the Bible? Dickens? Yeats?

Politicians have always used quotes from fictional sources. Your gripe and others seem to be that Varadkar is using more contemporary sources.

I will stand over it being "silly pettiness beyond anything seen before" and that it reflects the need of some posters to be "permanently outraged". Sad and pathetic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bowie wrote: »
    While people are dying Varadkar is lifting speech material from Lord of the Rings. This is disrespectful and shows a lack of compassion and integrity.

Why? What is inherently disrespectful about it? Had he quoted Heaney or Kavanagh would you think similarly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lot of anger here today. A lot of anger.

Lot of anger here today. A lot of anger.

Yeh...people having to pretend nobody noticed he said something for a bet.

Who should he quote from?

Shakespeare? Jesus? the Bible? Dickens? Yeats?

Politicians have always used quotes from fictional sources. Your gripe and others seem to be that Varadkar is using more contemporary sources.

I will stand over it being "silly pettiness beyond anything seen before" and that it reflects the need of some posters to be "permanently outraged". Sad and pathetic.

He should speak from the heart. Be a bit genuine. He could easily say, 'To quote...'.
    He lacks empathy and integrity. He could just have easily had his fun in some minor press release. Look if you are claiming 'what of it?' Fair play just don't insult the both of us by trying to dismiss it as an irrelevance or demean anyone critical of it.
    You lads really need to respect differing opinions without using the insults.
    Seems to me you had the complete opposite response to the Wolfe Tones 'come out you black and tans' becoming a hit over Flanagan's RIC/Tan tribute.
    Like your Holohan thread over an off colour stupid remark but silence on FG councilor O'Leary admiring the fascist blueshirts.

• Advertisement

This is beyond silly.

What is the problem with the actual words?

"Some have asked whether there is a limit to what we can achieve," Mr Varadkar said, before drawing upon a line from the hit movie: "My answer is that the limit does not exist."

What is the actual issue? If there are y-fronts getting in a twist, I suggest that some people look in the mirror.

Tell me blanch, I dont think i ever heard your opinion on Eamon Ryan using the "N" word.

I know you claimed the bearded one was a racist for using it, so I'd sure be interested on your opinion on Mr Ryan using it.

As a green voter yourself, did you think it made Eamon a racist like you believed Adams was, and if so would you be ok with him going into Govt with FG?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement