Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's not 210%
    The same 1000 people were asked what they thought of the various leaders performances
    490 of them said they were happy with MLM
    750 said they were happy with Leo
    So I gather from that,200 people were happy with both Leo and MLM if the 250 who weren't happy with Leo were Sinn Féin supporters

I am well aware of that, I dont think Blanch is though.
    Maybe I should have been more blunt, I assumed most would have been intelligent enough to see the point I was making.

Its obvious from the poll that at least some of those that support SF have also agreed that Leo has done a reasonably good job. If only FG supporters agreed he could not possibly have got the 75%. Likewise people who would not vote for SF have obviously agreed that Mary Lou has done a good job.

That was my point, and the point I made further down in my post.
    Its a poll that has little relevance if there was a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I have to say, this thread is incredibly frustrating to read.

We have the same few blaming Fine Gael for everything they've done and for every problem there is, both real and imagined.

It's rinse and repeat. I simply don't know how anyone can stay that 'annoyed' and 'outraged' 24/7/365 and post non-stop about it on boards (and presumably other political discussion forums).

I keep hoping we might have something that's related to the topic at hand, you know... Government formation since Fine Gael evidently decided not to 'just do nothing' as per the title in the OP.

Every little thing Leo does is supposedly awful or insensitive, or the worst thing ever, no matter what it is. It's just pathetic. It's not for nothing that the term 'Shinnerbot' was invented. There are tactics here straight out of the Trump playbook; constant negativity, whataboutery, deflection and of course, looking for something, anything to criticise Leo / FG for.

Of course I'm not for a second suggesting that FG should be above criticism - but I think most of us can distinguish between criticism based on things they've actually done as opposed to the constant 24/7/365 whinging and moaning about absolutely everything.

It really does remind me just how unrepresentative discussion forums and other forms of social media are of what the public at large thinks.

We have the same few blaming Fine Gael for everything they've done and for every problem there is, both real and imagined.

It's rinse and repeat. I simply don't know how anyone can stay that 'annoyed' and 'outraged' 24/7/365 and post non-stop about it on boards (and presumably other political discussion forums).

I keep hoping we might have something that's related to the topic at hand, you know... Government formation since Fine Gael evidently decided not to 'just do nothing' as per the title in the OP.

Every little thing Leo does is supposedly awful or insensitive, or the worst thing ever, no matter what it is. It's just pathetic. It's not for nothing that the term 'Shinnerbot' was invented. There are tactics here straight out of the Trump playbook; constant negativity, whataboutery, deflection and of course, looking for something, anything to criticise Leo / FG for.

Of course I'm not for a second suggesting that FG should be above criticism - but I think most of us can distinguish between criticism based on things they've actually done as opposed to the constant 24/7/365 whinging and moaning about absolutely everything.

It really does remind me just how unrepresentative discussion forums and other forms of social media are of what the public at large thinks.

The truth is there is so little to discuss at the moment that the SF and FG fanboys will argue over the smallest details just to keep their post count up.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Complete exaggeration. I refer you to your own sentence:

Of course I'm not for a second suggesting that FG should be above criticism -

If you are not suggesting it...don't handwave it away by exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Great post. They're on speed dial. Far too much time on their hands, and despite that, they cannot construct anything coherent. Same old BS that racks up their tens of thousand posts that could have been covered in 10 or 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

mattser wrote: »
    Great post. They're on speed dial. Far too much time on their hands, and despite that, they cannot construct anything coherent. Same old BS that racks up their tens of thousand posts that could have been covered in 10 or 12.

And systematically, collectively target and get posters banned who show them up.

Bully boy tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Just curious John, what category does this fellow party member get assigned under?

https://twitter.com/jimdundrum/status/1270148218723209216?s=19

Well done, you are still avoiding the question as to what was wrong with Varadkars words.

More deflection, more diversion, but avoiding answering,

Brilliant post, but if you look carefully, it is the same two or three posters on every thread criticising FG and they end up as the top posters in threads like this.

It is pretty sad to see people whose lives are so miserable that they have to spend their life criticising FG 24/7, or defending SF 24/7, or repeating the same memes and photos 24/7.

75% approval rating which means even some SF supporters think he’s doing a good job, which just shows you how sad they are.

efanton wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been more blunt, I assumed most would have been intelligent enough to see the point I was making.

Its obvious from the poll that at least some of those that support SF have also agreed that Leo has done a reasonably good job. If only FG supporters agreed he could not possibly have got the 75%. Likewise people who would not vote for SF have obviously agreed that Mary Lou has done a good job.

That was my point, and the point I made further down in my post.
    Its a poll that has little relevance if there was a general election.

I don’t disagree with you, there are some SF supporters who think he has done a good job.

Sadly, it seems that we are stuck n here with the small rump of the permanently outraged who don’t share that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don’t disagree with you, there are some SF supporters who think he has done a good job.

Sadly, it seems that we are stuck n here with the small rump of the permanently outraged who don’t share that view.

I think he has done an ok job and have given him credit for how he handled the pandemic.

It's funny that when somebody criticises things that he and FG got wrong to see the outrage and the exaggeration.

No politician nor political party is perfect. These threads wouldn't exist, here and elsewhere if they were.

• Advertisement

Brilliant post, but if you look carefully, it is the same two or three posters on every thread criticising FG and they end up as the top posters in threads like this.

It is pretty sad to see people whose lives are so miserable that they have to spend their life criticising FG 24/7, or defending SF 24/7, or repeating the same memes and photos 24/7.

75% approval rating which means even some SF supporters think he’s doing a good job, which just shows you how sad they are.

Now blanch, tell the honest truth, do you not take every opportunity to criticise SF.

there's two sides to every argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Anytime someone says anything negative about FG you are down their throat giving out calling them Shinners etc. It's as if don't like FG you must be SF so FG go on the attack. The days are over of people believing politicians when they attack each other, like Leo having a go at SFs rates of social welfare in North. Everybody knew he was talking ****e, a quick Google confirmed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Anytime someone says anything negative about FG you are down their throat giving out calling them Shinners etc. It's as if don't like FG you must be SF so FG go on the attack. The days are over of people believing politicians when they attack each other, like Leo having a go at SFs rates of social welfare in North. Everybody knew he was talking ****e, a quick Google confirmed it

SF handed Social Welfare power back to London, you are aware of that yeah?
    London didn't grab it, SF just gave it away and with it any powers to cushion the most vulnerable from austerity in the north

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suppose the difference between your view of the what he did and the view of the rest of us is that Varadkar has a 75% popularity rating, and you have a couple of cranks on Twitter and a handful of boards posters agreeing with you.

Pretty easy to see where the balance of the public view lies.
    75% popularity rating?
    Really?

You massaging reality again to fit into your own deluded imaginary world?

Obviously someone cant count

Leo Vandakar 75% up 45
    Mary Lou 49% up 8
    Micheal Martin 46% up 16
    Eamonn Ryan 40%

So somehow 210% of the population got to vote?

It doesn't really seem like Blanch is the one who didn't understand what a popularity rating was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Michael Higgins will not allow the Dáil to be disbanded.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/president-higgins-will-not-allow-dail-to-disband-if-programme-for-government-fails-1006801.html

“ However, the parties believe President Higgins will not accede to such a request in light of the ongoing pandemic restrictions.

Such a failure could allow Fine Gael bow out of consideration, having tried to form a government. It could also force Fianna Fáil to open talks with Sinn Féin, as two of the three large parties would be needed to form a government”.

SF might get a go yet.....

According to the Irish Times Michael D will tell FF they must talk to SF if this shambles does not get over the line

According to the Irish Times Michael D will tell FF they must talk to SF if this shambles does not get over the line

Great news we can all agree.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    SF handed Social Welfare power back to London, you are aware of that yeah?
    London didn't grab it, SF just gave it away and with it any powers to cushion the most vulnerable from austerity in the north

Im well aware of the reasons behind it. Does not change fact SF do not set the rates up North (which Leo said they did) He LIED to get a dig in, end of

SF might get a go yet.....

Don't frighten them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Heard it on Newstalk this morning on the drive into my office, Leo has changed his stance on what happens if the Greens/FF do not get the pfg over the line.

Last week it would be "a political crisis"

This week it's "it could result in an FF/SF govt" which is actually what he meant last week, but we can assume someone clipped his wings and told him to wind the neck in and dial the rhetoric down a bit.

• Advertisement

Im well aware of the reasons behind it. Does not change fact SF do not set the rates up North (which Leo said they did) He LIED to get a dig in, end of

How does handing back social welfare powers not hand back power over social welfare rates?

Here is what Scotland did...

Did you even read my post?

I separated people who criticise FG from people who defend SF, so where do you get the idea that I am conflating the two?

On the social welfare, people might try to deny the factual evidence, but the SW payments in the North for the pandemic are way below the South, and that is a fact. If SF are unable to do anything about it, that just shows that they aren't in government.

Heard it on Newstalk this morning on the drive into my office, Leo has changed his stance on what happens if the Greens/FF do not get the pfg over the line.

Last week it would be "a political crisis"

This week it's "it could result in an FF/SF govt" which is actually what he meant last week, but we can assume someone clipped his wings and told him to wind the neck in and dial the rhetoric down a bit.

An FF/SF government would be a political crisis.

An FF/SF government would be a political crisis.

I’d love to see it to be honest. So much change. Change everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I’d love to see it to be honest. So much change. Change everywhere.

Hoping to see an FF FG Coalition myself Johnny, with the shinners as the main opposition, I'll give it prob 12 months tops, before one devours the other, and will then result in a proper SF v FFG dail rather than the last almost century of FF v FG who don't really have any ideological differences between their policies anyway, save for which side of the civil war someone's grandaddy fought in. 2 cheeks of the same arse.

When that fails - and they inevitably cock up, the shinners will be in prime position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Shinners very very nervous at the prospect of having to go in to government. Wonder why?

Shinners very very nervous at the prospect of having to go in to government. Wonder why?

The hurler on the ditch gets a sudden and unexpected shout from the manager to pull on the jersey and play a bit of county hurling, Paddy.

Used to plenty of talk about the game, but will now have to do more than talking.

They aren’t even sure they really support the team they’ve been asked to play for to be honest, Paddy.

The hurler on the ditch gets a sudden and unexpected shout from the manager to pull on the jersey and play a bit of county hurling, Paddy.

Used to plenty of talk about the game, but will now have to do more than talking.

They aren’t even sure they really support the team they’ve been asked to play for to be honest, Paddy.

You could hear it with Mary-Lou on the radio. Trying to shift the onus onto FF.

The numbers are there without FF and FG, but she isn't willing and she isn't able to pull that coalition together, so shifting the responsibility.

Hoping to see an FF FG Coalition myself Johnny, with the shinners as the main opposition, I'll give it prob 12 months tops, before one devours the other, and will then result in a proper SF v FFG dail rather than the last almost century of FF v FG who don't really have any ideological differences between their policies anyway, save for which side of the civil war someone's grandaddy fought in. 2 cheeks of the same arse.

When that fails - and they inevitably cock up, the shinners will be in prime position.

You wouldn’t have to be a professor of political science to have worked out that was what you wanted, dude. It’s not exactly Machavelli we are talking about here - no offence.

• Advertisement

You could hear it with Mary-Lou on the radio. Trying to shift the onus onto FF.

The numbers are there without FF and FG, but she isn't willing and she isn't able to pull that coalition together, so shifting the responsibility.

Oh this is getting to you big time

She clearly stated she would reach out to all parties last night on The Tonight Show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement