Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don't have access to media monitoring reports, so I don't have a full picture, but I haven't seen much about it anywhere at all other than bemusement.

I accept that the literati will be up in arms, with their journalist friends, over the perception that the Taoiseach is low-brow in his quotations, but don't really give a toss what Dalkey residents like Pat Kenny think of it.

This will be the fourth, possibly the fifth time this will be explained to you, I don't think people took exception to his quote, or his words. The quote or the words weren't offensive, not in my opinion anyway.

It was however, neither the time, nor the place for a fifty quid bet with a celebrity, certainly not in the same breath where he spoke of the thousands who died, or hundreds of thousands furloughed, or who suffered job losses.

A bit of harmless fun is all, but neither the time nor the place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't have access to media monitoring reports, so I don't have a full picture, but I haven't seen much about it anywhere at all other than bemusement.

I accept that the literati will be up in arms, with their journalist friends, over the perception that the Taoiseach is low-brow in his quotations, but don't really give a toss what Dalkey residents like Pat Kenny think of it.

Prime time television and media is a good reflection of concerns in the country...all of the major programmes have covered this and asked the 'was it appropriate' question, just as they did when Up The Ra was used.

Your head in the sand attitude is typical and touching and all that, but it is still head in the sand classic defensiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Except it isn't a thousand people, it is the same five or six posters repeating it across threads.

Not saying there is anything wrong with fury and vitriol, or five or six posters repeating it across threads, but that I just don't get their point.

While you might not agree with their point, it's baffling that you don't understand it.

As I said in the specific thread on this, I support FG, I support Leo as Taoiseach, but this was not the time for a €50 celebrity bet and shoehorning some random quote into a national briefing. I'm not calling for his head, no fury or vitriol, it was a mistake in my opinion and that's about it. Time to move on, though an acknowledgement on this from Leo would go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Prime time television and media is a good reflection of concerns in the country...all of the major programmes have covered this and asked the 'was it appropriate' question, just as they did when Up The Ra was used.

Oh you don't want to go there Francis, lest someone links to primetime SPECIALS on for example the good republican and says compare and contrast

As regards,the innocuous quote,ye have had some success in highlighting it in a few discussion shows,I'll grant ye that but not much
    Flagship morning Ireland weren't interested in it
    They discussed the relevant parts of last nights primetime, not the irrelevant
    My advice as ever is to beware of glass houses and quid pro quo because bite they will
    Bite they will

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Oh you don't want to go there Francis, lest someone links to primetime SPECIALS on for example the good republican and says compare and contrast

As regards,the innocuous quote,ye have had some success in highlighting it in a few discussion shows,I'll grant ye that but not much
    Flagship morning Ireland weren't interested in it
    They discussed the relevant parts of last nights primetime, not the irrelevant
    My advice as ever is to beware of glass houses and quid pro quo because bite they will
    Bite they will

Is that some form of threat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I am really struggling to understand the fury and vitriol at Leo's quotes.

He isn't praising an evil sick terrorist who has just passed away, he isn't defending "good republicans" who have committed illegal crimes, he just quoted from a movie!!!

Reading the outrage on here about his TV appearance following his comments, I was somewhat bemused at this, so I checked to see whether other media were expressing similar outrage. Strangely enough, apart from an article in the Journal which seems to present his position as normal, I don't see the indignation on here being repeated outside of boards. Maybe it will get an outing on Talk to Joe or one of the more high-brow radio programmes like the Adrian Kennedy show, but I don't get the fuss.

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-mean-girls-quote-5131005-Jun2020/

No you are not.
    You are defending it and throwing in whataboutery.
    What Varadkar says isn't cancelled out by what others say. This has been pointed out to you time and again.
    You are building it up, (the outrage) so it gives you more ability to tear it down as being over the top.
    People are giving their opinion on what Varadkar says and you might disagree, I honestly can't say, but either way you are here to close it down and nothing more.

Is that some form of threat?

It's an expectation

It's an expectation

We already 'expect' you to deflect every time Leo gets criticised, it's touching and all that. No need to start issuing threats. :rolleyes:

We already 'expect' you to deflect every time Leo gets criticised, it's touching and all that. No need to start issuing threats. :rolleyes:

An expectation is not a threat
    I'm starting to wonder should I reply As Gaeilge here if being our national language It's understood better by Spin Féin

I'm starting to wonder should I reply As Gaeilge here if being our national language It's understood better by Spin Féin

I don't think Sinn Fein are the people coming on here doing damage control for Varadkar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I am really struggling to understand the fury and vitriol at Leo's quotes.

He isn't praising an evil sick terrorist who has just passed away, he isn't defending "good republicans" who have committed illegal crimes, he just quoted from a movie!!!

Reading the outrage on here about his TV appearance following his comments, I was somewhat bemused at this, so I checked to see whether other media were expressing similar outrage. Strangely enough, apart from an article in the Journal which seems to present his position as normal, I don't see the indignation on here being repeated outside of boards. Maybe it will get an outing on Talk to Joe or one of the more high-brow radio programmes like the Adrian Kennedy show, but I don't get the fuss.

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-mean-girls-quote-5131005-Jun2020/

No fury and outrage here, it was a poor interview for the leader of the country though.

He was like someone who is finishing up in a job and is just putting in the bare minimum until the last day comes.

No fury and outrage here, it was a poor interview for the leader of the country though.

He was like someone who is finishing up in a job and is just putting in the bare minimum until the last day comes.

Thats the kind of minister he was prior to this post.

Oh I see Leo's little funny has been issued for use by all. :)

You are going to deflect, you said, to something about SF, if anybody criticised Leo or mentioned that the media had questioned the 'appropriateness' of what he said.

Al I said is 'that is what we expect' you to do, as you have been handwaving away any criticism of him since the thread began.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

From a man who has led the country into the worst trolley crisis in hospitals ever and homelessness at the highest level anyway, for him to use Spin Fein is very funny to be fair.

He still does not get the fact, abusing Sinn Fein at every opportunity wont work anymore. The youth and older generations are starting to can see him for what he is

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh I see Leo's little funny has been issued for use by all. :)

You are going to deflect, you said, to something about SF, if anybody criticised Leo or mentioned that the media had questioned the 'appropriateness' of what he said.

Al I said is 'that is what we expect' you to do, as you have been handwaving away any criticism of him since the thread began.

I am really out of touch, I missed all mention of "Spin Fein" by the Taoiseach.

If true, nice to see a bit of humour from one of our leaders in these dark times.

I am really out of touch, I missed all mention of "Spin Fein" by the Taoiseach.

If true, nice to see a bit of humour from one of our leaders in these dark times.

The irony being it was a SF motion that got rid of his own much vaunted 'spin' dept.

Leo is a very bitter little boy when it comes down to it. He'll never manage the statesman moniker anyhow. :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/embarrassment-for-taoiseach-as-d%C3%A1il-votes-by-85-49-to-disband-spin-unit-1.3436617

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Green party will starting their own little ME TOO movement the way their being harassed by the media, Ryan's on telly tonight, trainwreck?

The irony being it was a SF motion that got rid of his own much vaunted 'spin' dept.

Leo is a very bitter little boy when it comes down to it. He'll never manage the statesman moniker anyhow. :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/embarrassment-for-taoiseach-as-d%C3%A1il-votes-by-85-49-to-disband-spin-unit-1.3436617

The pathetic thing is rather than disputing, accepting or ignoring comments the FG boys attack because people had the cheek to be critical. Very Varadkar.
    #veryvaradkar

Bowie wrote: »
    The pathetic thing is rather than disputing, accepting or ignoring comments the FG boys attack because people had the cheek to be critical. Very Varadkar.
    #veryvaradkar

I find it funny and amusing, and we all need something to cheer us up these days.

Leadership isn't all doom and gloom, whinging and complaining, sometimes it is about a better future or the light at the end of the tunnel and a little bit of humour - whether Spin Fein or Mean Girls - helps an awful lot with that. Those who want to wallow in misery can continue to do so.

Bowie wrote: »
    #veryvaradkar

An extraordinary ability to embarrass himself and the party. That will be his legacy.

The last thing somebody in his position should have been doing is pointing his finger at another party for spinning. :)

He just reminds everybody of the waste and PR obsessions of his own that had to be curtailed by the House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I find it funny and amusing, and we all need something to cheer us up these days.

Leadership isn't all doom and gloom, whinging and complaining, sometimes it is about a better future or the light at the end of the tunnel and a little bit of humour - whether Spin Fein or Mean Girls - helps an awful lot with that.

Or this guy, no?

2018-01-09_new_37556585_I1.JPG

Leadership isn't all doom and gloom, whinging and complaining, sometimes it is about a better future or the light at the end of the tunnel and a little bit of humour - whether Spin Fein or Mean Girls - helps an awful lot with that. Those who want to wallow in misery can continue to do so.

You are desperately trying to make light of the latest Varadkar gaffe. You are trying so hard you are giving it much more mileage than it might have gotten.

You are coming across as desperate. Finding what Varadkar did disrespectful and distasteful can't be badgered or bullied away Blanch. get over it, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Aah come on guys lighten up... Leo has a funny bone and nothing wrong with that.

Dan.

Aah come on guys lighten up... Leo has a funny bone and nothing wrong with that.

But you'd be okay with some folk not thinking it was okay? Each to their own.
    At this point it's the bordering on obsessive behaviour of some don't think you should raise criticism of it at all.

The other week I got mixed up between Dublin City Council and South Dublin City Council. And even though I put my hand up, I never heard the end of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

when is this second wave of virus arriving? it will be far more serious than this. Already shops have deliberately removed some goods; and it's extremely disturbing now how seriously they have Latched on to those 'temporary' regulations - population manipulation using private security and technology to alter patterns and any dissidents.

whatever money was given to people this time; it kinda' does seem likely that not even anything will be given at the next wave. [especially with crummy fianna fail] - everything with fianna fail is with strings attached, for one reason - that fianna fail can 'pull back the strings', for their very Own voters, and themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Hearing this evening that the Green Party member vote is looking cagey. Two thirds is a lofty mountain to climb. Turns out the Green Party might be the first All-Ireland party to have had a say in the rejection of an Irish government. There's a load of ironies there for people to chew over.

It will then be back to our elected representatives to come up with a Government. It's a very important, and timely, reminder of what democracy means for every citizen.

Time for SF to take off the stabilisers and show their support for the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hearing this evening that the Green Party member vote is looking cagey. Two thirds is a lofty mountain to climb. Turns out the Green Party might be the first All-Ireland party to have had a say in the rejection of an Irish government. There's a load of ironies there for people to chew over.

It will then be back to our elected representatives to come up with a Government. It's a very important, and timely, reminder of what democracy means for every citizen.

Time for SF to take off the stabilisers and show their support for the Republic.

Fingers crossed we have another election and SF take charge for the change the people voted for.

Interesting to hear Ryan on SF. He thought in his talks that they were serious about going into government and is willing to talk to them again.

SF/FF/Greens anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It will then be back to our elected representatives to come up with a Government.

I believe the next move in that scenario will be a bid by Martin to put together a government with FG backed by some Independents. Varadkar has apparently ruled out such an arrangement but he may change his tune if it looks like the alternative is an FF+SF+whoever deal.

I presume Varadkar would be within his rights at that point to ask for a dissolution of the Dail but I'm not sure if MDH is constitutionally obliged to grant his wish.

• Advertisement

Or this guy, no?

2018-01-09_new_37556585_I1.JPG

There was nothing sectarian or racist about the Mean Girls or Spin Fein jokes, which kind of puts your friend into a completely different context.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement