Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    There was nothing sectarian or racist about the Mean Girls or Spin Fein jokes, which kind of puts your friend into a completely different context.

Speaking of absolute hypocrisy when it suits.
    Do you remember chastising me for calling him Simon 'Boo Boo' Harris the day after his Covid the number 19 gaffe? I say gaffe, he made stuff up to cover his lack of knowledge.

There was nothing sectarian or racist about the Mean Girls or Spin Fein jokes, which kind of puts your friend into a completely different context.

Very poor taste. He's making light of an attack were people were killed. The political leader of Ireland is making light of a global pandemic were people have died, for fun as you say, to lighten things up. Completely different :rolleyes: To be fair it is a bit. One is drunk and got a photo from inside a shop spread around the other is the taoiseach giving an address to the nation.
    Be honest if Sinn Fein or anyone threatening Fine Gael in the polls gave a speech on the troubles, the economy, farming emissions, the weather and worked in lines from films to win a bet or for fun you'd be creating an outrage thread for each syllable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well if Leo had made a Madeleine McAnn joke that would have been in a different context again, but I don't think it would have gone down well either. Are you the arbiter of which categories of 'dubious-taste humour' are acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well if Leo had made a Madeleine McAnn joke that would have been in a different context again, but I don't think it would have gone down well either. Are you the arbiter of which categories of 'dubious-taste humour' are acceptable?

No, but I can tell the difference between something that is an unacceptable racist or sectarian joke and something that is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Very poor taste. He's making light of an attack were people were killed. The political leader of Ireland is making light of a global pandemic were people have died, for fun as you say, to lighten things up. Completely different :rolleyes: To be fair it is a bit. One is drunk and got a photo from inside a shop spread around the other is the taoiseach giving an address to the nation.
    Be honest if Sinn Fein or anyone threatening Fine Gael in the polls gave a speech on the troubles, the economy, farming emissions, the weather and worked in lines from films to win a bet or for fun you'd be creating an outrage thread for each syllable.

In what way is he making light of a global pandemic?

He is quite rightly trying to lift spirits with a little humour here and there. He is not Trump or Bolsonaro, they are the types of leaders who are making light of a global pandemic.

Sometimes people really lose perspective on what is important.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He is quite rightly trying to lift spirits with a little humour here and there. He is not Trump or Bolsonaro, they are the types of leaders who are making light of a global pandemic.

Trump, sure wasnt Leo over shaking hands with him a while back telling him hes doing a great job.

We still let US Warplanes land in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He was more concerned about shoehorning a trite throwaway comment into a supposedly sincere address to the population, to win a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I tried to count how many posts brimming with 'fury and vitriol' Blanch made in the McElduff/Kingsmills thread, gave up at 100...

because of the subjects he was speaking on Blanch.

It's context. The fact that you drag this attempted dismissal on day after day with derision and badgering speaks volumes about your true feelings. Varadkar did it in bad taste and it showed a lack of empathy. It's not the worse thing in the world. Trying to dismiss it is poor form.

On the topic of covid, it's okay to make some fun to lighten it, but on the same hand it's too serious to let ourselves be distracted by FG councilor O'Leary admiring fascists and likening them to FG's resolve :rolleyes:

If you were a shinner you'd be saying what's wrong with putting a loaf of bread on your head for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/paschal-donohoe-submits-nomination-to-be-next-president-of-the-eurogroup-1007377.html
    Paschal Donohoe submits nomination to be next President of the Eurogroup

So it looks like cabinet positions have been discussed and agreed then, If Paschal is applying for another finance job.

Not sure whether I think Michael McGrath is up to the job to be honest, but on balance probably an improvement as long as he doesn't let FF go on their usual mad spending spree. If he lets FF run riot with the spending, this country is feck'd. Every organisation will get a little something and nothing will be fixed.

If Paschal gets the EU job, will he be looking out for Ireland, or still pushing the Neo-conservative economics that have left our country's services and infrastructure underfunded? We need the EU to be fiscally responsible, but we certainly dont need a new wave of EU austerity

• Advertisement

efanton wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/paschal-donohoe-submits-nomination-to-be-next-president-of-the-eurogroup-1007377.html
    Paschal Donohoe submits nomination to be next President of the Eurogroup

So it looks like cabinet positions have been discussed and agreed then, If Paschal is applying for another finance job.

Not sure whether I think Michael McGrath is up to the job to be honest, but on balance probably an improvement as long as he doesn't let FF go on their usual mad spending spree. If he lets FF run riot with the spending, this country is feck'd. Every organisation will get a little something and nothing will be fixed.

If Paschal gets the EU job, will he be looking out for Ireland, or still pushing the Neo-conservative economics that have left our country's services and infrastructure underfunded? We need the EU to be fiscally responsible, but we certainly dont need a new wave of EU austerity

Not necessarily.
    Paschal wouldn't be the first Fine Gael politician double jobbing over in Europe.

Not necessarily.
    Paschal wouldn't be the first Fine Gael politician double jobbing over in Europe.

Does he have to find someone to vote for him as if he is present in the Dáil? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Some people try to advance the country, some just do nothing other than throw insults.

Luckily there are those who know the difference.

Speaking of insults....Leo was on the news there talking about a special event to remember all those who died during the pandemic. I would only be in favour of that if he guaranteed not to try and win any bets.

Speaking of insults....Leo was on the news there talking about a special event to remember all those who died during the pandemic. I would only be in favour of that if he guaranteed not to try and win any bets.

Well Louise couldn’t defend the murder of poor Garda McCabe.

I’ll leave it up to yourself to figure out which is the serious ‘offense’.

Well Louise couldn’t defend the murder of poor Garda McCabe.

I’ll leave it up to yourself to figure out which is the serious ‘offense’.

Is this 'Louise' talking about a commemoration event for those who died of Covid currently?

Was this Louise taking bets on shoehorning words chosen by some actor into a speech for those who are bereaved and still under threat from Covid?

you wouldn't be engaging in a bit of deflection there Brendan would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What was the carry on last night with Johnny Bruton on to put the frightened on Eomonn Ryan, shouldn't the old dinosaur be over giving sympathy to the British royals

Is this 'Louise' talking about a commemoration event for those who died of Covid currently?

Was this Louise taking bets on shoehorning words chosen by some actor into a speech for those who are bereaved and still under threat from Covid?

‘Spinning rapidly’

I suppose you will have to ask what that means too.:D

‘Spinning rapidly’

I suppose you will have to ask what that means too.:D

No, for once you were not cryptic in your deflection.

He'll be watching 'Weekend at Bernie's' so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

F**k me. 5 pages at this stage about the Taoiseach saying the limit does not exist when it comes to what the country can achieve.

Anyway, at least we can close this thread tomorrow when FG either enter government, or wait for those other parties who represent 75% of the Dáil finally get their s**t together and form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Aah come on guys lighten up... Leo has a funny bone and nothing wrong with that.

whats the funny bone? telling workers he is in their corner and then hitting even the working poor with a FIFTY percent marginal tax rate? he is some comedian alright...

tobsey wrote: »
    F**k me. 5 pages at this stage about the Taoiseach saying the limit does not exist when it comes to what the country can achieve.

Anyway, at least we can close this thread tomorrow when FG either enter government, or wait for those other parties who represent 75% of the Dáil finally get their s**t together and form a government.

The party wanted coveney and he's overseeing a decline in FG support to match the record breaking crises. The FG parliamentary lads really backed a winner.

Because they won't be doing anything for the next 5 years? That would be preferable.

Because they won't be doing anything for the next 5 years? That would be preferable.

Well if the word is true and the Greens have signed their death warrant Leo will be sitting doing something for the next two years...looking awkward. :)

What do we call it? Whack-a-mole Taoiseach? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Garda Jerry Mcabe.

Shot dead by the PIRA.

But but, all in the name of Ireland.

Because killing a garda advances a United Ireland.....????????????????

Makes sense alright.

How some people sleep at night is beyond me.

Well if the word is true and the Greens have signed their death warrant Leo will be sitting doing something for the next two years...looking awkward. :)

What do we call it? Whack-a-mole Taoiseach? :)

Second fiddle to Fianna Fail. That's some legacy.

Garda Jerry Mcabe.

Shot dead by the PIRA.

But but, all in the name of Ireland.

Makes sense alright.

How some people sleep at night is beyond me.

How did you or your parents sleep after what was done for independence and control of the 26 counties JJ? Or while people where being killed and trampled on in the north? Or when FG Heavy Gangs marauded the border counties shoring up partition?

Is it possible in your single vision world to regret awful things, to be sorry the whole sorry mess happened in the first place? To regret that one...one single person of any creed or colour had to die?

Have you a bloody clue about accepting people fully in the democratic fold or are you and the FG hypocrites gonna parade on the world stage pretending to be democrats but still practice exclusion.

Don't you dare try and guilt trip me.

How did you or your parents sleep after what was done for independence and control of the 26 counties JJ? Or while people where being killed and trampled on in the north? Or when FG Heavy Gangs marauded the border counties shoring up partition?

Is it possible in your single vision world to regret awful things, to be sorry the whole sorry mess happened in the first place? To regret that one...one single person of any creed or colour had to die?

Have you a bloody clue about accepting people fully in the democratic fold or are you and the FG hypocrites gonna parade on the world stage pretending democrats but still practice exclusion.

Don't you dare try and guilt trip me.

I know some people sleep at night in hubs, hostels.
    I know some people are smart arses in the face of record breaking societal crises. When criticised the get all bitter and nasty. Not suitable to govern. Probably why they are so bad at it. After all you need empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I know some people sleep at night in hubs, hostels.
    I know some people are smart arses in the face of record breaking societal crises. When criticised the get all bitter and nasty. Not suitable to govern. Probably why they are so bad at it. After all you need empathy.

Well today is d day, we should know tonight if there's a chance for yiz to get some sleep or be consigned to another stint of sleepless whinging.
    Maybe if Michael is teeshock yous can include him in with Leo and have a double whinge or splurge out, include Éamonn

• Advertisement

Well today is d day, we should know tonight if there's a chance for yiz to get some sleep or be consigned to another stint of sleepless whinging.
    Maybe if Michael is teeshock yous can include him in with Leo and have a double whinge or splurge out, include Éamonn

Word is the Greens have bought the deal..., according to Dan Boyle, they have 'learned' from the last time, apparently.

I would have liked to see SF get a stint in government but my second option was always this...copper fastening the end of the power swap.

FF/FG will never be seen as separate again, they can pretend and play party leader between them for ever more.

I don't think anyone with an interest in political development and maturity can see that as a bad thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement