Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Well today is d day, we should know tonight if there's a chance for yiz to get some sleep or be consigned to another stint of sleepless whinging.
    Maybe if Michael is teeshock yous can include him in with Leo and have a double whinge or splurge out, include Éamonn

You'd have to think the SF fans would be devastated behind it all if the PFG goes through today. With all the talk of "crises", "misery" etc. a FF and FG government would have to be the worst possible mix after the last election for them, even if it doesn't last the full term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Well today is d day, we should know tonight if there's a chance for yiz to get some sleep or be consigned to another stint of sleepless whinging.
    Maybe if Michael is teeshock yous can include him in with Leo and have a double whinge or splurge out, include Éamonn

****tin themselves that it won't go through, Bish. They don't do responsibility y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

christy c wrote: »
    You'd have to think the SF fans would be devastated behind it all if the PFG goes through today. With all the talk of "crises", "misery" etc. a FF and FG government would have to be the worst possible mix after the last election for them, even if it doesn't last the full term.

How is a FF/FG government a bad thing going forward for any ideologically opposed party? For a party that has no problem playing the long game it is manna from heaven.

I can understand how it might not be for the chameleon parties that can bend and shape themselves to fit into whatever shape the power swap parties come up with...C&S, Coalition etc. They will have to stand on their own policy and support and the Greens and Labour won't be starting from a good place.

I think the interesting thing and it should be a warning to the Greens and anyone thinking of shoring up this incoming disaster is that the poll numbers aren't shifting vis a vis SF support.

How is a FF/FG government a bad thing going forward for any ideologically opposed party? For a party that has no problem playing the long game it is manna from heaven

If things are as bad as some of the fans say, even 6 months of FG or FF making it worse would have to be terrible. We hear of misery of people in emergency accommodation, if that is accurate a party playing the long game would be some kick in the teeth.

I can see how it's manna from heaven for the party themselves, seen as how they just want to grow seat numbers and implement their idiotic economic policies.

I'm hoping that a centre right party will emerge from all this at some point, even someone who followed through in Leo's looking after those who get up early comment.

If things are as bad as some of the fans say, even 6 months of FG or FF making it worse would have to be terrible. We hear of misery of people in emergency accommodation, if that is accurate a party playing the long game would be some kick in the teeth.

I can see how it's manna from heaven for the party themselves, seen as how they just want to grow seat numbers and implement their idiotic economic policies.

I'm hoping that a centre right party will emerge from all this at some point, even someone who followed through in Leo's looking after those who get up early comment.

That first paragraph makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

That first paragraph makes no sense to me.

Paraphrasing Sf fans "country is in sh1te because of FF and FG and people are going through misery".

The worst outcome given the results of the election would be for FG and FF to go back in and make things worse.

Playing a long game would be of no interest to someone in dire straits right now.

The worst outcome given the results of the election would be for FG and FF to go back in and make things worse.

I still don't get it. How would it be a 'worse outcome'?

If FG/FF do the inevitable, make things worse, it will just turn more against them.

I still don't get it. How would it be a 'worse outcome'?

If FG/FF do the inevitable, make things worse, it will just turn more against them.

Thought my post was reasonably clear so not much more I can do there.

Your second line is part of the point I'm making. If FF and FG inevitably make things worse, this has to be terrible news for the SF fans who claim to care about the people.

Thought my post was reasonably clear so not much more I can do there.

Your second line is part of the point I'm making. If FF and FG inevitably make things worse, this has to be terrible news for the SF fans who claim to care about the people.

Of course it is. So they will have to work in opposition, but as a vote gathering opportunity, you really couldn't come up with anything more effective for them.

Next time out there will be no hiding for FF and FG, they will be going to the country on foot of their record as the same party basically. They can dress it up any which way they want but if they make a mess, the electorate won't be buying any blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree with the last paragraph but 100% disagree with the first.

• Advertisement

Of course it is. So they will have to work in opposition, but as a vote gathering opportunity, you really couldn't come up with anything more effective for them.

Next time out there will be no hiding for FF and FG, they will be going to the country on foot of their record as the same party basically. They can dress it up any which way they want but if they make a mess, the electorate won't be buying any blame game.

From a vote gathering it will probably be great for them, but the intervening years will be catastrophic from the SF fans point of view if they believe what they were posting.

Only thing is I'm not sure how high SF can go with people like MLMD and Doherty in charge who have a history of coming up with idiotic economic policies. On the other hand, Bertie was very successful so maybe the sky's the limit.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree with the last paragraph but 100% disagree with the first.

In the first paragraph, I don't really believe things are as bad as the SF fans make out. If things are as bad as they say, the term of this government will have to be hell for them.

As regards a new party, difficult to see where it would come from. But we can live in hope.

In the first paragraph, I don't really believe things are as bad as the SF fans make out. If things are as bad as they say, the term of this government will have to be hell for them.

As regards a new party, difficult to see where it would come from. But we can live in hope.

How 'bad' are SF making it out to be?

How 'bad' are SF making it out to be?

Worse than I think it it.

Worse than I think it it.

But enough people thought it was bad enough to make SF the biggest party at the last election.

Can you step outside 'yourself' and see that? Can you see that what 'you' see is not necessarily how it is for others?

But enough people thought it was bad enough to make SF the biggest party at the last election.

Can you step outside 'yourself' and see that? Can you see that what 'you' see is not necessarily how it is for others?

Please stop waffling, I have said previously that I can see why people voted for SF but I did not agree with it. No need for me to step anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They lost by 1 seat to FF. They were not the biggest party. They won the highest % of first preferences, which is irrelevant given we do not have FPTP

Please stop waffling, I have said previously that I can see why people voted for SF but I did not agree with it. No need for me to step anywhere.

No waffle at all.

If you can see why people made SF the biggest party at the last election, why can you not see that installing the reasons why people migrated to SF in government - together - is playing into SF hands?
    Which was the point I made.

ELM327 wrote: »
    They lost by 1 seat to FF. They were not the biggest party. They won the highest % of first preferences, which is irrelevant given we do not have FPTP

They were returned as the biggest party with the highest percentage vote.

FF had more 'seats' as a result of a one seat headstart, that nobody 'elected' this time out.

No waffle at all.

If you can see why people made SF the biggest party at the last election, why can you not see that installing the reasons why people migrated to SF in government - together - is playing into SF hands?
    Which was the point I made.

Haven't a clue what you're on about. I said this will be good for SF from a vote gathering perspective, did you miss that as well?

• Advertisement

Haven't a clue what you're on about. I said this will be good for SF from a vote gathering perspective, did you miss that as well?

Yes, and you missed the point I made to talk about something else. I clarified the point again.

Yes, and you missed the point I made to talk about something else. I clarified the point again.

I didnt miss anything, I clearly acknowledged it would be good for them from a vote gathering prospective and also said it would be manna from heaven.

As Trump and Boris indicate, there is a significant proportion of the electorate that are absolutely as thick as sh1t.
    Thankfully there wasn't enough of them in Ireland to allow SF into government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Boss, you sound like you're saying change might be coming :)
    After generations of the same aul' same aul' cronyism, collapse, austerity, we don't know any different. If the idea of more of the same caused sleepless nights none of us would have ever slept.
    Let's hope it's their last waltz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Augeo wrote: »
    As Trump and Boris indicate, there is a significant proportion of the electorate that are absolutely as thick as sh1t.
    Thankfully there wasn't enough of them in Ireland to allow SF into government.

You could turn that argument on its head fairly easily, you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting a different result?

FG can harp on all they like about FF wrecking the economy/country, but FG were instrumental in rehabilitating them, and the irony in fg having to sanction a FF Taoiseach will be something to sit back and wonder on.

McMurphy wrote: »
    You could turn that argument on its head fairly easily, you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting a different result?.............

Indeed, SFs policies are total t0ss though............... you'd change nothing for the better with them in government.

McMurphy wrote: »
    You could turn that argument on its head fairly easily, you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting a different result?

FG can harp on all they like about FF wrecking the economy/country, but FG were instrumental in rehabilitating them, and the irony in fg having to sanction a FF Taoiseach will be something to sit back and wonder on.

Oh the awkwardness tomorrow...might do a bit of daytime drinking to celebrate the merger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, SFs policies are total t0ss though............... you'd change nothing for the better with them in government.

You would bankrupt the country, that’s all you would change.

Oh the awkwardness tomorrow...might do a bit of daytime drinking to celebrate the merger. :)

Enjoy it Francis :)

Celtic-Fans-in-Seville.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Big ‘Dublin Fire Brigade Heads’ on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement