Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

Is this not essentially argueing that all topics should be shut down and no discussion allowed...."coz durr shinners"

Deosnt seem a prospect for much debate tbh mate

no its no such thing at all and tbh i dont think you could read it fairly as such at all, but again whither a good faith reading these days, isnt that rather the point

its me pointing out in fairly specific response to a complaint of constant deflection towards SF that there is a specific set of circumstances that apply that make this an easy, and often clearly correct, response to reach for.

and i suggested a remedy. up to ppl to try it or not, but while any and all govt (note that govt as stated consists at this stage of basically anyone but sf/pbp if we cover the relevant timespan) activity is attacked without reference to merit or balance then retort will be rote and lazy.

why should it be anything else?

Bowie wrote: »
    You literally misrepresent my comments while claiming same.
    I said I couldn't name half of them.
    Who I do and do not vote for doesn't allow you licence to dodge comments.
    Your comment is complete nonsense. IMO.
    I'll stick to commenting on comments thanks.
    If you read the last few pages you'll see how wrong you are.

oh right massive apologies

wheres the eyeroll.gif emoji im on the phone

the point stands, rage away man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

oh right massive apologies

wheres the eyeroll.gif emoji im on the phone

the point stands, rage away man.

No rage. I'll talk to you next time you post on the futility of criticising FG. :)

No rage. I'll talk to you next time you post on the futility of criticising FG. :)

im still furious about them propping up housing wealth at the cost of everything else the past ten years, we'll gang up on them on that score and others too no doubt

but do i gaf that leo wasnt able to deliver a sympathetic response to a human tragedy where there may well be implications that require him to play a poker face? have to be honest, no i really dont think that's worth time nor attn and i do think its cynical to drum up a week of attacks about. its tabloid stuff and transparent to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    In Ireland, in some cases, an apology from the State isn't considered good enough by the recipients unless it immediately results in a multi-million payout for them.

Our compensation culture goes into overdrive at the merest hint of an apology. As a result, those who genuinely deserve an apology can be slow to receive one, because of all the bandwagonners who will jump on.

It is not right that such apologies get delayed, but the take-all culture shares some of that blame.

In the cervical scandal, it is further complicated by the failure of the populace, and to a lesser extent, the judiciary, to understand the difference between screening for a disease and testing for a disease. There is a real danger that cancer screening innovations that are coming on the market shortly will not be introduced in Ireland because of issues like this. After all, a government can't be sued for a failed cancer screening if it doesn't screen at all.

The baying mobs could have a lot to answer for.

Morning Blanch, hope you're well.

It's great to see you finding your voice, ref insurance claims and compensation culture.

Lord knows for long enough you had (to quote you) "no opinion" on the various threads about the FG TD, Maria Bailey who tried to sue a local business based in Dublin because she tried to balance her arse on a swing while holding drinks in each of her hands.

With your newly found compensation culture voice, perhaps you would like to air your views on that one afterall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Poor Trevor down in Gallaimh Siar seems to have a bit of trouble with Parnell Sq.

Resigned it appears..... what’s with those lads of all colors in the Wesht.

Lot of anger.... lot of anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jaysis if nothing at all this thread is a good laugh.

This thread is actually another thing too- it is a masterclass in whataboutery and off topic posting by the Fine Gael stalwarts here. A quick search of some keywords within this thread reveals the following

Mentions of IRA -49 times
    Mentions of Sinn Fein - 318 times
    Mentions of SF- 1,452 times.

The terms Sinn Fein, SF or IRA have been mentioned 1,819 times out a total of 9,239 posts.

Which means that there is a mention of Sinn Fein every five posts throughout this entire thread. And this is all done on a thread where the topic is supposed to be Fine Gael. Unbelievable.

Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout, carry on lads :rolleyes:

Surely not another Shinner reference in a FG related thread is it Brenner?
    Poor Trevor down in Gallaimh Siar seems to have a bit of trouble with Parnell Sq.

Resigned it appears..... what’s with those lads of all colors in the Wesht.

Lot of anger.... lot of anger.

no its no such thing at all and tbh i dont think you could read it fairly as such at all, but again whither a good faith reading these days, isnt that rather the point

its me pointing out in fairly specific response to a complaint of constant deflection towards SF that there is a specific set of circumstances that apply that make this an easy, and often clearly correct, response to reach for.

Mate your essentially saying government is above critism and noone allowed Qs anything about them....coz shinners??
    and i suggested a remedy. up to ppl to try it or not, but while any and all govt (note that govt as stated consists at this stage of basically anyone but sf/pbp if we cover the relevant timespan) activity is attacked without reference to merit or balance then retort will be rote and lazy.

why should it be anything else?

Or yanno....yous could be an adult and accept constructive critism instead instead of blaming shinnerz for everything government deos?

im still furious about them propping up housing wealth at the cost of everything else the past ten years, we'll gang up on them on that score and others too no doubt

but do i gaf that leo wasnt able to deliver a sympathetic response to a human tragedy where there may well be implications that require him to play a poker face? have to be honest, no i really dont think that's worth time nor attn and i do think its cynical to drum up a week of attacks about. its tabloid stuff and transparent to boot.

I assumed there were reasons. It does nothing to excuse a rebuttal tweet to a widower's press release on the death of his wife.
    So in short if you have criticism it's okay but if others do and you disagree its 'insulting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

Well, were a month in,, and I'm sure you'll all agree,, It hasn't gone too well.

Eamon Ryan sleeps on the job.
    Micheál Martin past over some of his buddies for ministerial positions.
    Barry Cowen likes a pint and needs to sit his driving test.
    Leo just took a pay cut.
    Some Ministers got €16K extra.
    Other Ministers lost money.
    And if your an out of work Barman, you can't go on the holiday you booked when you were working.

Did I miss anything ?

So Far 4/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Poor aul Leo really really put his foot in it talking of the social welfare payment suspension for those traveling abroad. Since his gaffe interview DAA now subject to a GDPR investigation on passenger information, social welfare website was hastily updated to reflect the details spewed during his brain fart and now the changes being pursued by civil liberty groups for being unconstitutional. Christ he's must be longing for the days he could just quote mean girls and the independent would put out a gushing column on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    Poor aul Leo really really put his foot in it talking of the social welfare payment suspension for those traveling abroad. Since his gaffe interview DAA now subject to a GDPR investigation on passenger information, social welfare website was hastily updated to reflect the details spewed during his brain fart and now the changes being pursued by civil liberty groups for being unconstitutional. Christ he's must be longing for the days he could just quote mean girls.

It's a real eye-opener indeed when you see the likes of PBP, ICCL, and the DPC all willing to put public health at risk so that social welfare recipients can go on holidays while the ordinary working man had to take his holidays in his own house during lockdown. Unbelievable the way that people will defend stuff like that.

It's a real eye-opener indeed when you see the likes of PBP, ICCL, and the DPC all willing to put public health at risk so that social welfare recipients can go on holidays while the ordinary working man had to take his holidays in his own house during lockdown. Unbelievable the way that people will defend stuff like that.

You made all that up.

I don't think the aul divide and conquer tactics will work on this one Mr Green party supporter. The demonisation of social welfare recipients is not a smart move in the current period given many people have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

You made all that up.

No, I didn't.

If the facts are wrong, prove it.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, but don't pretend that what happened didn't happen.

No, I didn't.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, but don't pretend that what happened didn't happen.

Are you fine with arriving tourists from Covid hospots under no obligation to provide info upon arrival while Irish social welfare recipients are targeted by authorities? Since it's the health concerns you're worried about.

No, I didn't.

You're the one making the claims. I've not seen that anywhere. You seem to have. Provide links.
    FYI: Reality isn't an opinion.

You're the one making the claims. I've not seen that anywhere. You seem to have. Provide links.
    FYI: Reality isn't an opinion.

Bizarre. I responded to "facts" that others were posting with a critical opinion, and now I have to prove others "facts".

Bizarre. I responded to "facts" that others were posting with a critical opinion, and now I have to prove others "facts".

Not true. You made a claim about the opposition to deflect from criticism of the government and you won't back it up.

Not true. You made a claim about the opposition to deflect from criticism of the government and you won't back it up.

I made a claim about several things.

You said I made it all up.
    You made all that up.

Clearly that isn't the case, as in the previous post, smurgen mentioned two of the three things I referenced. To be fair to smurgen, the only difference between us is one of opinion, he welcomes their statements, I don't.
    Poor aul Leo really really put his foot in it talking of the social welfare payment suspension for those traveling abroad. Since his gaffe interview DAA now subject to a GDPR investigation on passenger information, social welfare website was hastily updated to reflect the details spewed during his brain fart and now the changes being pursued by civil liberty groups for being unconstitutional. Christ he's must be longing for the days he could just quote mean girls and the independent would put out a gushing column on him.

So yes, you lied when you said I made all of it up. I can't be bothered chasing down the PBP reference to prove I made none of it up. As I always say, I have no problem with differing opinions, it is when there are posts with different incorrect facts that I take issue with. Yours, accusing me of making it all up, is a lie.

P.S. It is possible that smurgen got the facts wrong, I didn't check them, I took them at face value, but I don't think he did.

• Advertisement

Great to see Irish journalists finding their voice again after the election.

https://twitter.com/UnaMullally/status/1288205697012895745?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He'll wipe out FG's lead in the polls all on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

If im reading this right...your saying smurgen is happy to put public health at risk

Why are you allowed abuse,misrepresent all and sundry,just because they dare to vote for someone different to youz?

Its pretty amazing mods give yous a free run to enflame threads in an effort to get all conversations yous dislike shut down.....indeed for all the smearing of shinnerz/left voting people for internet bullying/abuse....the main culprit,i ever seen, is yous

Yous essentiay called anyone who didnt want junior minister to get 16K pay hike,women haters and regularly scream homophobia over any critism of varadkar

it works both ways, some of sh1te that was written was as bad as anything. One clown talking about blood on FG's hands, despite previously saying Boris Johnson was making them look bad.

One doesn't justify the other, but the same standards seem to be applied by the mods.

He'll wipe out FG's lead in the polls all on his own.

Not unless the other major parties have their feet surgically removed from their mouths, and there is no sign of that happening soon.

But it is not a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

A million plus people on pandemic payment.....ffg come out and essentially label em wasters

You kinda have to admire that level.of arrogance,less than a month into government....it is a move,that if there any downturn,will come back to haunt them politically,since theres likely to be no release valve of emigration post covid

"Number of people claiming Covid-19 payment has fallen by almost half
    Some 313,800 are claiming pandemic payment, down from a high of almost 600,000"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-of-people-claiming-covid-19-payment-has-fallen-by-almost-half-1.4308741

Aye.....whole forum is a toxic dump tbh....but felt name-checking poster and saying he/she was in favour of risking public health,is a unnecssary low blow and borderline bullying tbh

Toxic dump, I agree with that much anyway

I made a claim about several things.

You said I made it all up.

Clearly that isn't the case, as in the previous post, smurgen mentioned two of the three things I referenced. To be fair to smurgen, the only difference between us is one of opinion, he welcomes their statements, I don't.

So yes, you lied when you said I made all of it up. I can't be bothered chasing down the PBP reference to prove I made none of it up. As I always say, I have no problem with differing opinions, it is when there are posts with different incorrect facts that I take issue with. Yours, accusing me of making it all up, is a lie.

P.S. It is possible that smurgen got the facts wrong, I didn't check them, I took them at face value, but I don't think he did.

You explained why you chose that topic, not back it up.
    Are we calling people liars again? Nice.
    You made a claim to deflect from a Leo comment and won't back it up. I'll take it as made up.

This is it. Trumpian politics. Pick a group and point to them while you get raises and an Aide-de-Camp. Funny thing is like the dole fraud PR stunt he's no follow through. Once the diversion works its forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

Now you see what happens when politicians form a government the peole didn't want or vote for.

They give posts to people like Heather Humphreys, who is way out of her depth.
    We have seen mistake after mistake, and about 6 big u-turns so far.

It's a disaster, it's a pigs dinner,, but it will do one thing, it will just push more votes to SF next time round.

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    Now you see what happens when politicians form a government the peole didn't want or vote for.

They give posts to people like Heather Humphreys, who is way out of her depth.
    We have seen mistake after mistake, and about 6 big u-turns so far.

It's a disaster, it's a pigs dinner,, but it will do one thing, it will just push more votes to SF next time round.

Hopefully it puts FF/FG out of commission for at least a term or two. Being joined at the hip will likely damage them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement