Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

Again, I ask,, at what age did Enda retire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

satguy wrote: »

Don't know, you could Google it.

Bowie wrote: »
    As I said we need leadership that will walk the walk. Once they set themselves up they couldn't give two f***s, which would be fine if managing the country wasn't their job, well paid at that.
    I suppose the tax paying worker will need roll up his sleeves and work till he drops so we can keep them in fat pension(s) and assistants. On their holidays now.

We do need leadership, definitely. We also need to recognise the problem and come up with practical solutions that will work. The do nothing approach that many parties wanted wont cut it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Enda retired well before 2011 because he did nothing and achieved nothing as Taoiseach. I have never seen a senior political leader with so little vision and courage.

The last thing Enda did,, just 3 weeks before he announced he would retire, was vote to raise your retirement age to 68.

So €130K for him, nothing for you. And now FG's Heather Humphreys says that you can't go on that family holiday you booked before the pandemic hit.

I'm just glad I'm not a FF voter. Leo calls the shots, and now FF fall in line.

• Advertisement

The last thing Enda did,, just 3 weeks before he announced he would retire, was vote to raise your retirement age to 68.

So €130K for him, nothing for you. And now FG's Heather Humphreys says that you can't go on that family holiday you booked before the pandemic hit.

I'm just glad I'm not a FF voter. Leo calls the shots, and now FF fall in line.

Nice rant, but still nothing remotely resembling a solution to the pension problem.

christy c wrote: »
    Nice rant, but still nothing remotely resembling a solution to the pension problem.

Easy enough sorted....tax any state pension before age 66 at 99%

Imagine the shrieks from Pearse Doherty & co :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A bad solution is a solution I suppose. Hard to swallow from ministers or the 'entitlements class' to use an often misused term on boards.

Imagine the shrieks from Pearse Doherty & co :)

As the saying geos,theres no such thing as problems (ie pensions),only oppurtunities for solution

Anyone who thinks anything is too difficult/hard to grasp,has no business running the country

• Advertisement

Not a rant, I will keep paying my taxes so Enda can keep his €130K a year pension.

If we all pay our fare share there should be no reason to stop my very small state pension. Maybe Dinny will even start to pay his share.

A bad solution is a solution I suppose. Hard to swallow from ministers or the 'entitlements class' to use an often misused term on boards.

A bad solution v no solution, easy choice.

If we don't like what the ministers do, we can vote them out.

If we all pay our fare share there should be no reason to stop my very small state pension.

Yes there are reasons, its what people have been posting about on this thread. People are living longer, and the ratio of workers to pensioners is reducing.

A bad solution v no solution, easy choice.

If we don't like what the ministers do, we can vote them out.

Japers. Weren't you the ibe looking for alternatives? Were chatting here.

Yes there are reasons, its what people have been posting about on this thread. People are living longer, and the ratio of workers to pensioners is reducing.

I now its frowned upon but how come it's many cushy rules for ministers but the working tax payer needs to work longer to subsidise them?
    Hard ti take this responsibility on from their type.

I now its frowned upon but how come it's many cushy rules for ministers but the working tax payer needs to work longer to subsidise them?
    Hard ti take this responsibility on from their type.

It's not nice when you see politicians acting the pr1ck, but the pension problem isn't going away on it's own.

Japers. Weren't you the ibe looking for alternatives? Were chatting here.

Yes I was looking for alternatives, but nothing remotely credible was presented.

So we're all agreed then,, a state pension for all at 65,, even if we need to raise Taxes.

No off shore bank accounts, no holiday homes in Malta that we let on are our homes. Everyone Pays Tax.

Sorted ...

So we're all agreed then,, a state pension for all at 65,, even if we need to raise Taxes.

No off shore bank accounts, no holiday homes in Malta that we let on are our homes. Everyone Pays Tax.

Sorted ...

No, I want the state pension at 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Sorted ...

Tax everyone. But first get rid of this ****e.

https://twitter.com/UnaMullally/status/1288546909045559297?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As no State Pensions are paid before age 66, this idea doesn't work.

smurgen wrote: »

Yes, we would need to curtail FG greed and entitlement, so that the rest of us can have nice things too.

No more big state contracts and sweetheart deals for Dinny.

if we can just keep an eye on FG for the next few years, we should all be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

smurgen wrote: »

He's a government Minister FFS. You can't have them all wheezing up hills on their bicycles like Loser Ryan.

It's not nice when you see politicians acting the pr1ck, but the pension problem isn't going away on it's own.

Agreed. All goes back to bad governance. I don't care the party name. Raising the age should be a last resort is all. I'd like to see other solutions. They dont seem to be putting any forward. If I'm expected to work until I drop I want them to do same or in the least not get a penny until the age to retire is reached. It's only fair.

Yes I was looking for alternatives, but nothing remotely credible was presented.

On that level we could say the same for raising the age. It's as easy as kicking low paid tax payers in the balls to implement. Not credible though.

Agreed. All goes back to bad governance. I don't care the party name. Raising the age should be a last resort is all. I'd like to see other solutions. They dont seem to be putting any forward. If I'm expected to work until I drop I want them to do same or in the least not get a penny until the age to retire is reached. It's only fair.

It doesn't go back to bad governance (although we have plenty of it), it goes back to people living longer.

Leave out the hyperbole, no is expected to work till they drop. We already have 1 in 6 hoiseholds not working at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Truthvader wrote: »
    He's a government Minister FFS. You can't have them all wheezing up hills on their bicycles like Loser Ryan.

It was his former leader Enda Kenny, who thought it was good enough to get rid of 'state cars for all' in 2011.You'd almost think this govt had a magic money tree the way they're splashing the cash around since they got together.

On that level we could say the same for raising the age. It's as easy as kicking low paid tax payers in the balls to implement. Not credible though.

No we couldn't say the same, raising the age will reduce the cost and will likely be part of the solution.

Someone already listed a number of countries that are doing similar. So its not as if its some crazy theory Leo dreamt up.

Agreed..

If we can keep FG corruption in check, we can all retire at 65.

There was a time when the Indo used to keep an eye on them.
    But someone we all know used his huge bank balance to turn the Indo into the sindo.

That just left RTE to have our backs, but a nod and a wink by RTE left them in the clear.

Now FF need to man up.

• Advertisement

It doesn't go back to bad governance (although we have plenty of it), it goes back to people living longer.

Leave out the hyperbole, no is expected to work till they drop. We already have 1 in 6 hoiseholds not working at all.

Citing a potential part of the problem doesn't make raising the age an inevitability.

One pension age for all. If its raised no politician gets a penny until then. Theres some savings right there.
    You're slipping and sliding here. People on the sick too, so no worries...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement