Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It was his former leader Enda Kenny, who thought it was good enough to get rid of 'state cars for all' in 2011.You'd almost think this govt had a magic money tree the way they're splashing the cash around since they got together.

Ah, good aul' 'change the way we do business', 'an end to cronyism', 'no more quangos'. Don't see how anyone can take FG seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Bowie wrote: »
    Citing a potential part of the problem doesn't make raising the age an inevitability.

One pension age for all. If its raised no politician gets a penny until then. Theres some savings right there.
    You're slipping and sliding here. People on the sick too, so no worries...

Yeah fine, no pension for politicians in line with state pension age.

No slipping and sliding, was just presenting evidence that no one is or likely will be required to work till they drop.

christy c wrote: »
    Yeah fine, no pension for politicians in line with state pension age.

No slipping and sliding, was just presenting evidence that no one is or likely will be required to work till they drop.

No you said some people aren't working. Quality input.

No you said some people aren't working. Quality input.

Yes, if its possible for 1 in 6 not to work, no one is or will be required to work tull they drop.

Yes, if its possible for 1 in 6 not to work, no one is or will be required to work tull they drop.

Mentioning some people dont work means what in a discussion about extending the retirement age?
    How does it pertain to ministers being able to retire earlier?

• Advertisement

Mentioning some people dont work means what in a discussion about extending the retirement age?
    How does it pertain to ministers being able to retire earlier?

You said people would be required to work till they drop. If there is a sign of you dropping (health problems) there are state supports available to enable you to leave the workforce- the evidence being 1 in 6 not working at the moment.

Never said 1 in 6 being out of work had anything to do with ministers retirement.

You said people would be required to work till they drop. If there is a sign of you dropping (health problems) there are state supports available to enable you to leave the workforce- the evidence being 1 in 6 not working at the moment.

Never said 1 in 6 being out of work had anything to do with ministers retirement.

Okay if you were only taking the piss I've better things to do. Avenin'.

Okay if you were only taking the piss I've better things to do. Avenin'.

Absolutely no idea how you think I was taking the piss. If you don't grasp the point i was making it's best to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

In the last Dail it was Catherine Murphy TD who kept an eye on FG corruption, it was her that brought up the SiteServ scam.

But I'm glad to see that Mary Lou will be giving her a dig out this time round. With Eamon Ryan asleep, and FF just yes men now, we need all the help we can get.

Plus the lack of flights is keeping the Boss off the chess board for now.

Every penny we can stop going to Malta is a penny towards our pensions at 65. We can do it, we just need to stay awake. (Eamon)

New quango before the year is out. Something covid related.

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    In the last Dail it was Catherine Murphy TD who kept an eye on FG corruption, it was her that brought up the SiteServ scam.

But I'm glad to see that Mary Lou will be giving her a dig out this time round. With Eamon Ryan asleep, and FF just yes men now, we need all the help we can get.

Plus the lack of flights is keeping the Boss off the chess board for now.

Every penny we can stop going to Malta is a penny towards our pensions at 65. We can do it, we just need to stay awake. (Eamon)

We're going to need to stop an awful lot of pennies going to Malta to have a pension at 65. Even that clown Pearse Doherty has shelved that idea I understand

We're going to need to stop an awful lot of pennies going to Malta to have a pension at 65. Even that clown Pearse Doherty has shelved that idea I understand

If FG manage to get the Boss over the 10 Billion mark this Dail Term,, well shame on us.

We all know it's their only goal, and It was up to all of us to keep an eye on them.
    And if we all end up working till we drop, we only have ourselfs to blame.

Catherine Murphy TD should not be left to do all the heavy lifting.

If FG manage to get the Boss over the 10 Billion mark this Dail Term,, well shame on us.

We all know it's their only goal, and It was up to all of us to keep an eye on them.

Siteserv investigation should be concluding this year despite covid.

10 billion will pay the welfare bill for 6 months. Will need to find a lot more pennies :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agreed. All goes back to bad governance. I don't care the party name. Raising the age should be a last resort is all. I'd like to see other solutions. They dont seem to be putting any forward. If I'm expected to work until I drop I want them to do same or in the least not get a penny until the age to retire is reached. It's only fair.

The “bad governance” schtik you come out with was disproved pages ago, yet you repeat this nonsense.

Another day, another u-turn for our FG lead government.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40024091.html

FG's Heather Humphreys should be asked to step down, she just personifies exactly what FG think of the man in the street.

BTW, the man in the street = you and me .

Well you see taxes were supposed to fund things like pension, water, bin collection etc.. However like all things hip and cool with the way we do business, it doesn't quite cut it, due in no small part to piss poor governance and either a shortsightedness or unwillingness to look ahead.
    If we need the workers to contribute more rather than work them until they drop, increase their wages and take a portion towards pension. Just an idea.

“Work them till they drop”

Oh dear. The reason that we need to raise the pension age is because successive FF and FG governments have increased prosperity, lengthened lifespans and improved health outcomes. As a result, people live longer in retirement than ever before.

How can that remotely be classed as working them till they drop. Once again on these boards we see a hysterical invective at variance to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

blanch152 wrote: »
    The “bad governance” schtik you come out with was disproved pages ago, yet you repeat this nonsense.

A stuck record. Day in day out the same.

Come in for a dig? Great input. You've turned me all around. People disagreeing with me is 'disproving'.
    You're talking ****e Blanch.

“Work them till they drop”

Oh dear. The reason that we need to raise the pension age is because successive FF and FG governments have increased prosperity, lengthened lifespans and improved health outcomes. As a result, people live longer in retirement than ever before.

How can that remotely be classed as working them till they drop. Once again on these boards we see a hysterical invective at variance to the truth.

You attacked the opposition and myself with made up claims. Then when FG do same you run and hide. Quality :)

• Advertisement

Another day, another u-turn for our FG lead government.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40024091.html

FG's Heather Humphreys should be asked to step down, she just personifies exactly what FG think of the man in the street.

BTW, the man in the street = you and me .

The 'passing' letter to help the case of a man banned from keeping animals will rise up soon enough.

Can I just say, when I started this thread, when I posted my OP,, we still had hope.

We had just had an FG government of 9 years, propped up by FF for most of that time. So there was no way people should have ended up with more of the same.

So now we see that FG are letting Micheál Martin call himself "Taoiseach" , even if we all know that Leo is still calling all the shots.

So getting back to when we still had hope, when we all voted to end FG's 9 year reign, how has it come to this, how is Leo still calling the shots. Are we all blind ?

Back in the day newspaper journalists and TV journalists would have called it out,, But their all bought and paid for now,, hell, even one man ownes of our radio stations.

How on earth are we even going to hear the truth.

CJH might have been a crook, and FG might have had a nice guy as leader "Garret FitzGerald" But as we strand today FF is lead by Micheál Martin, a wimp and a loser who just wanted to be called "Taoiseach" ,, and we could badly do with having CJH back to look after us.

Can I just say, when I started this thread, when I posted my OP,, we still had hope.

We had just had an FG government of 9 years, propped up by FF for most of that time. So there was no way people should have ended up with more of the same.

So now we see that FG are letting Micheál Martin call himself "Taoiseach" , even if we all know that Leo is still calling all the shots.

So getting back to when we still had hope, when we all voted to end FG's 9 year reign, how has it come to this, how is Leo still calling the shots. Are we all blind ?

Back in the day newspaper journalists and TV journalists would have called it out,, But their all bought and paid for now,, hell, even one man ownes of our radio stations.

CJH might have been a crook, and FG might have had a nice guy as leader "Garret FitzGerald" But as we strand today FF is lead by Micheál Martin, a wimp and a loser who just wanted to be called "Taoiseach" ,, and we could badly do with having CJH back to look after us.

The trouble is Varadkar is a selfie merchant. Martin is a hollow shell of a reminder of the FF heyday. Ryan is happy to snooze on his new role and pension.
    They will stumble from gaffe to gaffe while filling their pockets and creating jobs for the boys. The wheels start coming off sooner than expected but expected none the less.

CJH lined his pockets big time, But he also built homes for people to live in. When a block of 100 or more homes was build, homes were sold to 100 or more new home owners.

Under FG, blocks of homes are sold off plans, or just before finished to vulture funds owned by or run by the FG inner circle, and we can pay €1600 per month in rent, rather than the €1300 it would have taken to mortgage the home.

How many just finnished apartment complexes have been snapped up in the last two years, you most likely live in one. One you might have liked to buy one, but now have to rent.

They keep you down, a knee on your neck, it's what FG do best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

CJH lined his pockets big time, But he also built homes for people to live in. When a block of 100 or more homes was build, homes were sold to 100 or more new home owners.

Under FG, blocks of homes are sold off plans, or just before finished to vulture funds owned by or run by the FG inner circle, and we can pay €1600 per month in rent, rather than the €1300 it would have taken to mortgage the home.

How many just finnished apartment complexes have been snapped up in the last two years, you most likely live in one. One you might have liked to buy one, but now have to rent.

They keep you down, a knee on your neck, it's what FG do best.

If it’s that bad the ‘opposition’ should have walked in.

They should have been able to form a govt with all the ‘free money’ promised.

Of course they could do neither and now we have sour disgruntled people swarming the social networks trying to turn back the clock.

It’s promise everything to everybody but pay for nothing.

That’s what SF do best.

I never mentioned SF in the post above, not once.

But I did mention FF and how they built homes for people when CJH was their leader, see quote below.
    FF is lead by Micheál Martin, a wimp and a loser who just wanted to be called "Taoiseach" ,, and we could badly do with having CJH back to look after us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

You attacked the opposition and myself with made up claims. Then when FG do same you run and hide. Quality :)

You have no balance in your posting on the pensions issue. The initial proposals for gradual increases in pension age have been in train for years. A lot of work has gone into projecting pensions liabilities into the future in various scenarios.

https://web.actuaries.ie/sites/default/files/story/2020/01/200127%20-%20Press%20Release%20on%20State%20Pension%20Policy%20%28Setanta%20PR%29.pdf

This summarises the actuarial viewpoint on the issue i.e. the people responsible for modelling the future cash flows.

I don’t mind people saying they don’t like the idea of state pension age increasing but at least acknowledge that a lot of thought has gone into the topic (rather than saying it’s a back of the beer mat solution as you suggested).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Less than 50% of people voted for the opposition parties, more than 50% of people voted for the government we have now. That's how PRSTV works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

ELM327 wrote: »
    Less than 50% of people voted for the opposition parties, more than 50% of people voted for the government we have now. That's how PRSTV works.

You might as well be talking to the wall, dude.

• Advertisement

So Fine Gael attacked you with made-up claims?

I am not sure what you are trying to say in this post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement