Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes. Because boards is where national policy and strategy is discussed during a crisis.

So you don't have the 'strategy' you just know they are operating to it and not just responding to events and people ignoring advice, as any sane person would know they will?

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

So you don't have the 'strategy' you just know they are operating to it and not just responding to events and people ignoring advice, as any sane person would know they will?

Ok.

How would I possibly have the government strategy? seriously...

How would I possibly have the government strategy? seriously...

You said that was what they were operating to when they finally quit dithering and closed pubs and hotel bars, WHO/CDC 'guidelines':
    The guideline are set out by the WHO/CDC and other expert bodies.The numbers are being looked and measures are being taken depending on those information sources.
    Strategy and policy is not being decided on the strength of a twitter/youtube video.

when it was clear from Varadkar's tweet this AM that they would act after seeing footage from Temple Bar videos over the weekend.

You said that was what they were operating to when they finally quit dithering and closed pubs and hotel bars, WHO/CDC 'guidelines':

when it was clear from Varadkar's tweet this AM that they would act after seeing footage from Temple Bar videos over the weekend.

I didn't see that tweet. Do you have a link to it?

I didn't see that tweet. Do you have a link to it?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1239128246098309120

• Advertisement

Where does he say he was acting on that footage?

Where does he say he was acting on that footage?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/you-could-make-them-very-very-sick-taoiseach-warns-pub-goers-risk-they-now-pose-to-elderly-39045471.html

I know you will keep repudiating in order to protect. But that tweet also shows that 13 hours ago he was still only thinking about closing them.

Thought out, planned strategy???

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/you-could-make-them-very-very-sick-taoiseach-warns-pub-goers-risk-they-now-pose-to-elderly-39045471.html

I know you will keep repudiating in order to protect. But that tweet also shows that 13 hours ago he was still only thinking about closing them.

Thought out, planned strategy???

Where does he say he was acting on that footage? Does he say that he saw the footage?

Where does he say he was acting on that footage? Does he say that he saw the footage?

I think I predicted you would say that.

Evidence the 2m guideline was being blatantly ignored in pubs & also in excess of 100 people were in indoor gatherings so all pubs mandated to close.
    Perfectly reasonable IMO.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Evidence the 2m guideline was being blatantly ignored in pubs & also in excess of 100 people were in indoor gatherings so all pubs mandated to close.
    Perfectly reasonable IMO.

You don't have to be much of an expert to know it would be ignored. Heavy party type drinking kind of ensures it. I could have told you it would.
    Once again 5 or 6 critical days were lost by dithering and trying to protect vested interests.

You don't have to be much of an expert to know it would be ignored. Heavy party type drinking kind of ensures it. I could have told you it would.
    Once again 5 or 6 critical days were lost by dithering and trying to protect vested interests.

Can you tell us what they should do over the next 5 or 6 days Francis. We shall review on Friday how accurate you are.

Yesterday's racing results are easy to know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Are you suggesting that manifestos wrote prior to the election were done with the full knowledge of the existence of Covid 19?

That is why its called a 'rainy day' fund.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

markodaly wrote: »
    That is why its called a 'rainy day' fund.... :rolleyes:

Open to interpretation.

Can you tell us what they should do over the next 5 or 6 days Francis. We shall review on Friday how accurate you are.

Classic!

The Monday morning quarterback is our dear Francie.

On the topic itself, it appears that FG are the only party actually doing something at the moment.

Where are the Greens gone?
    SD's?
    PBP?
    SF?
    Labour?
    FF?

In various measure hiding or disappearing from view.

I'm not the one pretending that they are working to a planned and thought out strategy.
    Neither am I paid because I spent years studying this stuf to be proficient enough to be called an expert.

I think, as I said earlier, that they are doing as good as they can, but stop pretending that they are working to some all seeing strategy and that they don't need their mistakes and lapses called out.
    It is too critical a time for people not to stand up and be counted in the Dáil if they have concerns.

Open to interpretation.

Nonsense. A rainy day fund is a fund to be used for emergencies, not day to day spending as SF proposed earlier in the year.

SF being economically illiterate is not surprising.

Francis, you aren't in the Dail.... AFAIK anyway. Although with the latest batch of SF TDs I'd not be surprised actually.

I'm not the one pretending that they are working to a planned and thought out strategy.
    Neither am I paid because I spent years studying this stuf to be proficient enough to be called an expert.

What 'stuff' is this Francie? Speaking guff about 'da guberment'?
    I think, as I said earlier, that they are doing as good as they can, but stop pretending that they are working to some all seeing strategy and that they don't need their mistakes and lapses called out.
    It is too critical a time for people not to stand up and be counted in the Dáil if they have concerns.

The Irish response has actually been up there with the best in the world. Certainly, it was not perfect, I would have liked a bit more transparency for example to who got infected, but overall the government and the state bodies in charge of this have done well so far.

To compare and contrast look at the UK, or the US, or even Spain or France... or if you are that morbid Italy!

I would give Ireland a B+ so far, but I guess for some nothing less than an A+ means utter failure....
    So, when are Stormont closing schools Francie? :rolleyes:

Francis, you aren't in the Dail.... AFAIK anyway. Although with the latest batch of SF TDs I'd not be surprised actually.

:confused: This conversation started when AATM was lambasting MLMD and SF for calling attention to failures and lapses by the government in handling this.

Anybody with concerns here, needs to be fearless and stand up and raise them without fear of FG supporters getting angsty about it.
    That is the duty of an opposition and now more than ever imo. SF have been calling for bars and hotels to shut for a while now and they have...and it was inevitable that they would have to, days ago...critical days.

• Advertisement

So, when are Stormont closing schools Francie? :rolleyes:

Feck me are you STILL under the delusion that SF have the power to shut schools?

*I have already said..earlier today and in a more recent post how I think 'they are doing'.

Feck me are you STILL under the delusion that SF have the power to shut schools?

*I have already said..earlier today and in a more recent post how I think 'they are doing'.

Aren't they in government in the North? Dear me, I must be mistaken. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Classic!

The Monday morning quarterback is our dear Francie.

On the topic itself, it appears that FG are the only party actually doing something at the moment.

Where are the Greens gone?
    SD's?
    PBP?
    SF?
    Labour?
    FF?

In various measure hiding or disappearing from view.

When was it any different? Apart from MLM flying around on her broomstick to various venues to somehow create an alternate reality from democracy none of them have done anything tangible apart from FG. And just as well really because they’d clearly be hopeless at anything else

Nonsense. A rainy day fund is a fund to be used for emergencies, not day to day spending as SF proposed earlier in the year.

SF being economically illiterate is not surprising.

Well up till recently many viewed homelessness and housing as an emergency. Crystal balls are great and all but in the real world....well you know the rest.

Aren't they in government in the North? Dear me, I must be mistaken. :pac:

I will let you work out for yourself why, when they are calling for the schools to close, that they aren't.

Three little letters are a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So what you’re saying is SF have zero real government experience anywhere on the island and are merely partaking in a kind of county council level rubber stamping exercise. So now we’ve established they have never actually governed anywhere what makes them fit to govern in a time of deep crisis, now or otherwise

road_high wrote: »
    So what you’re saying is SF have zero real government experience anywhere on the island and are merely partaking in a kind of county council level rubber stamping exercise. So now we’ve established they have never actually governed anywhere what makes them fit to govern in a time of deep crisis, now or otherwise

But has it not been claimed that FG are only acting on expert advice? How many governments have managed a crisis like this?

Don't be so afraid of criticism and the possibility that others might have ideas that will help. Pubs should have closed last week as many were advising. Thankfully they are now. Job done and duty fulfilled by the opposition and concerned people IMO. FG, like they did with the rugby supporters flooding into the city, took their eye of the ball.

Well up till recently many viewed homelessness and housing as an emergency. Crystal balls are great and all but in the real world....well you know the rest.

Good thing the emergency fund wasn't spent on x000s of forever homes isn't it. There's a waster crisis that might have to be sorted now that we've a real emergency to deal with.

I think I predicted you would say that.

And yet you still can't answer it.

• Advertisement

Good thing the emergency fund wasn't spent on x000s of forever homes isn't it. There's a waster crisis that might have to be sorted now that we've a real emergency to deal with.

Whenever you get a chance you might ask an adult to reword your response into coherent English.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement