Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just look at the negativity on here. I can’t see it happening.

Lads with too much time on their hands jipping on the internet doesn't matter a curse. This is an unprecedented global crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Lads with too much time on their hands jipping on the internet doesn't matter a curse. This is an unprecedented global crisis.

I 100% agree. That’s why I keep calling for all groups to work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

And yet here you are...

smurgen wrote: »
    And yet here you are...

What is wrong with you?

Things like social housing, pension increases, and a United Ireland will be in a penny place in a few months time. We are looking at a complete reset of global economics and society.

At the moment the Republic has a government who have been in place in some way, shape, or form, since 2011. They are doing a brilliant job so far.

We will need a national government. That involves everyone.

Jesus; I cannot believe the posters on here don't 'get that'.

• Advertisement

Things like social housing, pension increases, and a United Ireland will be in a penny place in a few months time. We are looking at a complete reset of global economics and society.

At the moment the Republic has a government who have been in place in some way, shape, or form, since 2011. They are doing a brilliant job so far.

We will need a national government. That involves everyone.

Jesus; I cannot believe the posters on here don't 'get that'.

They are still more interest in point scoring it seems. Hopefully they can wake up sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

road_high wrote: »
    Says the poster commenting and replying to everything on every page..... We are just as entitled to our opinions as you and everyone, so no- I won’t ever stop saying what I think of SF and the truth about them and their bankrupting policies because it needs to be said. And repeated over and over
    I rarely bother replying to your posts here as it’s akin to bashing my head off a brick wall.

Give over will you, FF actually have bankrupt the country, and FG had no problems whatsoever with getting into bed with them last time out, and will do this time too.

But yeah, the shinners will bankrupt the place. Get up the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This crisis will develop, and will require the creation of an all-party National Government.

Party politics is in the poor place compared to the extraordinary crisis the Republic finds itself in.

This John. We seldom agree, but this is spot on.

It takes some level of acting the bellend to try and score cheap political points over a health crises, the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Time for the numptiness to end, national govt needs to be formed to deal with this because everyone down the graveyard vote for the same party.

I work in an industry that would be deemed as an essential service, in other words without people in my line of work the country would quickly grind to a halt, and from what we have been briefed, the sh1t is really about to hit the fan big time, and with that in mind - petty squabbling micky measuring competitions about what colour your political party of choice is is insignificant in the extreme.

They all need to step up now, and row in behind each other more than ever.

I've 4 kids and a wife (also a frontline worker) who depend on me getting home every evening, so with that in mind, I could not give a flying flute if it's FF FG SF or whoever else is directing the country out of the impending sh1tstorm, now isn't the time for it.

McMurphy wrote: »

It takes some level of acting the bellend to try and score cheap political points over a health crises, the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Time for the numptiness to end, national govt needs to be formed to deal with this because everyone down the graveyard vote for the same party.

I work in an industry that would be deemed as an essential service, in other words without people in my line of work the country would quickly grind to a halt, and from what we have been briefed, the sh1t is really about to hit the fan big time, and with that in mind - petty squabbling micky measuring competitions about what colour your political party of choice is is insignificant in the extreme.

I've 4 kids and a wife (also a frontline worker) who depend on me getting home every evening, so with that in mind, I could not give a flying flute if it's FF FG SF or whoever else is directing the country out of the impending sh1tstorm, now isn't the time for it.

100%, Murph. We can all get back to the business of attempting to call each other assholes under the guise of debate in time.

Hope the OES are kept safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Its odd that this thread keeps on turning.
    FG are so far the ONLY party actually doing something, and doing so in the national interest. Everyone has disappeared from view.

140,000 people have lost their jobs in a 48 hour period, yet some want to score petty points. Pathetic stuff to be honest but that is the mindset of some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,377 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    FG are so far the ONLY party actually doing something, and doing so in the national interest. Everyone has disappeared from view.

140,000 people have lost their jobs in a 48 hour period, yet some want to score petty points. Pathetic stuff to be honest but that is the mindset of some people.

They are the government Mark. Jesus H.

They are the government Mark. Jesus H.

And?

And?

They are supposed to be the ones 'dong things'. Nobody else can introduce measures all they can do is make suggestions and point out lapses and failures...otherwise know as 'whinging' by some and as proper 'opposition duty' by others.
    You cannot give a free pass...everyone has to do their duty and co-operate.
    Co-operation does not mean silence though, if you see something that needs addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

FG being in government, until the faffing and bluster around a new government formation is out of the way, are the only ones THAT CAN do anything.
    FG are still in government until another government has been formed.

If they didnt want the job all they needed to do was step aside, and end the pretence of forming a coalition government with FF and either let a minority government be formed and facilitate that, or force a general election.
    They could have made that decision weeks ago, but they didnt.

I think the fact that other parties are keeping quiet and not being critical is a good thing and shows that in the crisis we are now in ALL parties have the good sense to let the experts inform the existing government with regards best practice, and let the government act on that advice.

What did you expect? Did you honestly want every party in opposition criticising everything the government and state agencies are doing just so you have something to complain about on this forum?
    Thankfully politics in Ireland is being handled in a far more mature fashion than the juvenile antics we might see across the Irish Sea

They are supposed to be the ones 'dong things'. Nobody else can introduce measures all they can do is make suggestions and point out lapses and failures...otherwise know as 'whinging' by some and as proper 'opposition duty' by others.
    Co-operation does not mean silence though, if you see something that needs addressing.

I think the 'addressing this' would involve you logging off. Jesus, what is your problem here? Even SF voters are sick of you.

What a ludraman.

I think the 'addressing this' would involve you logging off. Jesus, what is your problem here? Even SF voters are sick of you.

What a ludraman.

Eh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

efanton wrote: »
    FG being in government, until the faffing and bluster around a new government formation is out of the way, are the only ones THAT CAN do anything.
    FG are still in government until another government has been formed.

If they didnt want the job all they needed to do was step aside, and end the pretence of forming a coalition government with FF and either let a minority government be formed and facilitate that, or force a general election.
    They could have made that decision weeks ago, but they didnt.

I think the fact that other parties are keeping quiet and not being critical is a good thing and shows that in the crisis we are now in ALL parties have the good sense to let the experts inform the existing government with regards best practice, and let the government act on that advice.

What did you expect? Did you honestly want every party in opposition criticising everything the government and state agencies are doing just so you have something to complain about on this forum?
    Thankfully politics in Ireland is being handled in a far more mature fashion than the juvenile antics we might see across the Irish Sea

But they did actually say they wanted to step aside weeks ago, events overtook them so did you want them to resign in the middle of a major crisis?

So why are you acting like the Opposition spokesmen in a thread titled "FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years"... because it's your patriotic duty to keep the government in check?

As I said pathetic stuff. 140,000 have lost their jobs over 2 days and here we have Francie acting like he is in a Virtual Dail chamber keeping the government to heal.

Pathetic to be honest from you Francie, and have hit some low spots before.

Were you under a rock the past few weeks?

Many posters, on this very thread, were and are critical of FG....
    It seems the public mood has turned though, especially since Thursday since Leo closed the schools, so opposition TDs know not to rock the boat now as it will backfire on them hugely.
    The front bench and in particular Simon Harris and Simon Coveney are leading the nation through this crisis, but you will always have the cribbers and the hurlers on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Were you under a rock the past few weeks?

Many posters, on this very thread, were and are critical of FG....
    It seems the public mood has turned though, especially since Thursday since Leo closed the schools, so opposition TDs know not to rock the boat now as it will backfire on them hugely.
    The front bench and in particular Simon Harris and Simon Coveney are leading the nation through this crisis, but you will always have the cribbers and the hurlers on the ditch.

FG are like the tories.

Only care about da rich and da landlords and pub owners.

• Advertisement

FG are like the tories.

Only care about da rich and da landlords and pub owners.

FG hate the poor and the homeless. Dont forget that one.

So why are you acting like the Opposition spokesmen in a thread titled "FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years"... because it's your patriotic duty to keep the government in check?

As I said pathetic stuff. 140,000 have lost their jobs over 2 days and here we have Francie acting like he is in a Virtual Dail chamber keeping the government to heal.

Pathetic to be honest from you Francie, and have hit some low spots before.

It's a discussion forum Mark.

Nice try to silence criticism from somebody who has been trying to silence criticism for a number of years.

That in itself is fairly pathetic.

If you had taken the time to read the thread you would see I have given FG credit for doing a mostly god job on this. The reason there is mainly silence is that all other party's without exception would have done more or less the same.

If you had taken the time to read the thread you would see I have given FG credit for doing a mostly god job on this. The reason there is mainly silence is that all other party's without exception would have done more or less the same.

Then you are posting the wrong forum Francie.
    Maybe start a new thread where you can carry out your fantasy as leader of the opposition during this crisis.

Maybe start a new thread where you can carry out your fantasy as leader of the opposition during this crisis.

Funny. Good man Mark again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭mattser

Not the first you challenged "them" Marko. IIRC they ran away.

McMurphy wrote: »

I did not vote FG in the election, nor do I ever intended to do so.
    But a national government is the very last thing this country needs at the moment. There would be too much talking, arguing and criticising and very little doing.

At the moment the existing FG government has had the good sense to follow the advice of the experts, and put that advice into action. That is exactly what the country needs at the moment. Although I dislike what FG have done over the last 10 years to our country, they have to be fair done a good job of handling this crisis, far better than what could be done with a 'national' or 'unity' government.

My concern will be that as this crisis deepens, and it will, party politics will rear its ugly head. Will FG bring in measures that might not be landlord friendly if they were required. At the moment we have businesses temporarily laying workers off, and this is perfectly understandable. No point keeping worker on the payroll if that will lead to a company going bankrupt in a few months time paying wages while not bring in sufficient revenue. Will they put in extra provisions so that those workers can pay rents or mortgage payments or bring in legislation to prevent landlords and banks from taking action?
    It must be remembered that many of those that have lost their jobs due to closures related to this virus outbreak might qualify for dole or social welfare payments, but will not qualify for any form of housing benefit because they will exceed current thresholds.

But these 'temporary measures' that have recently been put in place are going to be far from temporary. Anyone who believes that pubs, restaurants, and other public venues are only going to be closed until to the end of the month is living in dreamland. These measures are likely to last for months not weeks, and depending on how quickly a vaccine can be found possibly longer.

So far the government has done all the right things, because it hasn't cost them serious amounts of money.
    What happens in two months time when a landlord not having been paid rent for weeks decides to cancel a tenancy? What happens when banks not having received a mortgage payment for months start writing unpleasant letters?
    At that point the government is going to have to take action that is not going to go down well with all the different parties involved.

Do the government step forward and make those rent and mortgage payments while the forced closures are in effect, and claw them back over a period of time once the Corona crisis has passed? This to me would be the most logical and fairest thing to do, but it would cost significant, very significant, amounts of money.

Do they instead bring in legislation to prevent any action being taken against mortgage holders or tenants that have lost their jobs due to the corona virus crisis? This would involve some landlords taking a significant hit, especially those whose sole income is from the rents they collect.

Do they do nothing, let unscrupulous landlords turf out previously good tenants so that they can replace them with tenants that can actually pay a rent? Let vulture funds foreclose on mortgage holders unable to make payments?

Its these issues, which there is no doubt will happen, where we need a 'legitimate' government and not the existing government that is only there because a new one has yet to formed. Whatever measure is chosen to deal with rent/mortgage problem someone is going to lose out, or the state is going to have to spend serious amounts of money bailing out people who have been unable to work due to government actions.

My concern would be, would a newly formed government (I would expect that a new government would be formed by then) make the right decisions based on expert advice before the rent/mortgage time-bomb goes off or will they revert to party politics and dogma

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Just a correction....and not a minor correction....a pretty massive correction. FG are not "The Government"....they are the CARETAKER Government. The difference being, they do not have the required parliamentary majority to introduce the new legislation needed, some of which has been mentioned today. In such circumstances, there absolutely is plenty that the likes of Michael Martin and Mary Lou McDonald could and should be contributing towards events.

But barely a peep! Mary Lou...she who professes to have won the election and wishes to lead the next government....has she been in self isolation for the last 2 or 3 weeks or what?

But you know....when it's all over (touch wood), they'll most definitely have plenty to say about what should have been done better!

Tea Shock wrote: »
    Just a correction....and not a minor correction....a pretty massive correction. FG are not "The Government"....they are the CARETAKER Government. The difference being, they do not have the required parliamentary majority to introduce the new legislation needed, some of which has been mentioned today. In such circumstances, there absolutely is plenty that the likes of Michael Martin and Mary Lou McDonald could and should be contributing towards events.

But barely a peep! Mary Lou...she who professes to have won the election and wishes to lead the next government....has she been in self isolation for the last 2 or 3 weeks or what?

But you know....when it's all over (touch wood), they'll most definitely have plenty to say about what should have been done better!

Your correction is false. Read the constitution.
    The existing government, and its ministers have EXACTLY the same powers that they had the day before the election took place.
    Until a new government has been formed, they remain the legitimate government. They have a parliamentary majority (of one I believe), and even if they did not, I doubt they would have any problem passing any legislation required in relation to the Corona crisis.

What is Mary Lou supposed to do? FF are in talks with FG and will not sit at the table with SF. With the current election results and Labours refusal to contemplate involvement in any possible government, the only government that can be formed are a FF/FG/others or a SF/FF/others or a SF/FG/others government. Two of the big three must be in for there to be a government and FG and FF have made it quite clear they do not wish to be in government with SF. Having made that decision it is up to them to provide the only possible alternative or force another general election.

No point pointing the finger at SF when it is clear that the two parties that could join with them to form a government refuse to do so. The onus is now clearly on FF an FG and no one else.

With regards to Mary Lou being in isolation it could well be the case, I hope not. One of her children was in a school with a confirmed Corona virus case.

But they did actually say they wanted to step aside weeks ago, events overtook them so did you want them to resign in the middle of a major crisis?

I do believe FG sat on their hands for a full two weeks, refusing to take part in talks or stating outright that they would no consider going into government.
    Had they wanted out of government they could have made that announcement almost immediately, but they didn't.

It would have been then down to FF to sit down with SF, or SF to try form a coalition which they tried to do. With Labour refusing outright from day one to entertain any involvement in a government Sf were on an virtually impossible mission but to be fair to them them still made the attempt.

Of course FF could have tried to form a government without FG or SF involvement, but they didnt even try, or put much effort into that.
    Why are you just criticising SF, when you criticism could equally apply to FF.

At the end of the day FF and FG have made their bed, they knew exactly what the possible combinations for a government could be from day one but chose to bury their heads in sand for two weeks hoping it would all go away. It hasn't, so its now down to them to form a government or initiate a new election.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Your correction is false. Read the constitution.
    The existing government, and its ministers have EXACTLY the same powers that they had the day before the election took place.
    Until a new government has been formed, they remain the legitimate government. They have a parliamentary majority (of one I believe)

Absolutely not true

They have EXACTLY the same powers to carry out existing legislation. They have no powers to introduce new legislation without the agreement of opposition TDs sufficient in number to create a majority. The likes of Regina Doherty, Shane Ross, Mary Mitchell O’Connor and Katherine Zappone, while they are still ministers in their respective departments with the same powers pertaining to legislation that existed at the end of the 32nd dail, they are no longer TDs. Having lost their seats, they do not re-enter the dail to cast a vote on new legislation. Nor do the plethora of back-bench Fine Gael TDs who lost their seats. Therefore the caretaker government do not have a dail majority of 1....or anything else!

Hence, you have Varadkar talking about what he needs to get the dail to agree to - without a murmur of public response from those who can offer the public the needed clarity (i.e Martin and McDonald).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement