Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They need to keep responding to their mistakes and lapses being pointed out as they have been doing.

Not all heroes wear capes...
    Some are hovering over a keyboard, waiting to point out Government missteps..

You are a credit to the nation Francie. :):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Can't help noticing that the Shinners have gone very quiet all of a sudden? A few weeks ago they were screaming to get their hands on the levers of power. Now that there's a health crisis and real work to be done, they don't seem so anxious to lead us all to the promised land!!
    A bit of common sense. Nothing can be done now. I think it's 48 people allowed in the Dáil? (I haven't been able to follow the news over the past week).
    Anybody with an iota of knowledge about what is going on knows that it's all hands on deck - everyone helping when and where they can, and it's not the time for nonsense remarks about a power play.
    I didn't hear Leo's speech, only remarks about it (two were from FG friends). The jist I got was that it appeared and sounded like there was more emphasis put on how the speech was going to go down in the annals of history and how Leo came across, than there was on the message he was trying to get across.

It's not a position I would want to find myself in for sure, so I am not envious of him. But I have little doubt that anyone else in that position would be doing things much differently for better or for worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭michealkc

Would you think that the speech would need to have that particular sound and feel for all of us to sit up and take notice?. Then realise "holy crap it really might get bad" quote="Suckit;112869802"]A bit of common sense. Nothing can be done now. I think it's 48 people allowed in the Dáil? (I haven't been able to follow the news over the past week).
    Anybody with an iota of knowledge about what is going on knows that it's all hands on deck - everyone helping when and where they can, and it's not the time for nonsense remarks about a power play.
    I didn't hear Leo's speech, only remarks about it (two were from FG friends). The jist I got was that it appeared and sounded like there was more emphasis put on how the speech was going to go down in the annals of history and how Leo came across, than there was on the message he was trying to get across.

It's not a position I would want to find myself in for sure, so I am not envious of him. But I have little doubt that anyone else in that position would be doing things much differently for better or for worse.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

michealkc wrote: »
    Would you think that the speech would need to have that particular sound and feel for all of us to sit up and take notice?. Then realise "holy crap it really might get bad"
    You do what you want to do. I have been sitting up and taking notice of this for over two weeks in this Country.

I should have emphasised, the real people that I am not envious of, are the frontline.
    I am trying to refrain from having a proper go at Leo in particular.
    Like I said, I did not hear the speech, but I have been told it was not a very effective one. I doubt I will ever hear it now, as I am not going to have the chance tomorrow, I'm back up in 4 hours. It is unlikely I am going to go looking for it in a week.
    But if you are asking me in general, if I think an important speech should have a sound less like and essay/script and more like a person that is taking action and doing something, taking initiative, then yes. I definitely think that.
    At this stage, if the message to isolate hasn't already got through to some people, then it is not very likely today either (apparently especially after that speech), but that's not the point.
    I can't comment on a speech I didn't hear. That wasn't my point anyway.

He is not a leader.
    I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Suckit wrote: »
    He is not a leader.
    I'm off to bed.

Im not a staunch FG'er and I wouldn't be his biggest fan, but my God... At the current moment, he is the absolute very definition of a leader. Decisive, calm, reassuring, honest, concerned, genuine, working relentlessly, humane and truthful about the entire situation.

I mean, Jesus, we can compare him side-by-side to some of the most prominent world leaders in the last 24-48 hours, some of which lead countries far bigger than ours - He has shown himself to be head and shoulders above the rest - He is a Godsend to have at the helm right now. And also Simon Coveney and Simon Harris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Im not a staunch FG'er and I wouldn't be his biggest fan, but my God... At the current moment, he is the absolute very definition of a leader. Decisive, calm, reassuring, honest, concerned, genuine, working relentlessly, humane and truthful about the entire situation.

I mean, Jesus, we can compare him side-by-side to some of the most prominent world leaders in the last 24-48 hours, some of which lead countries far bigger than ours - He has shown himself to be head and shoulders above the rest - He is a Godsend to have at the helm right now. And also Simon Coveney and Simon Harris.

Agreed.

Thought the speech was well measured - struck a difficult balance between presenting an honest assessment and not scaring the sh1te out of us.

Didn't vote FG, but I'm somewhat relieved it's Varadkar and the Simons running the show - they're playing a blinder. It'd likely be terrifying if some of the other personalities elected recently were trying to do this.

Tony Holohan, too, has been quite impressive, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭J_1980

The only positive out of this, it’s the end of left politics across Europe. The economic stall will be unrecoverable in Italy/France/Spain that continually voted populist/centre left.
    Absolutely zero sympathies, enjoy you financial ruin :) Maybe use your brain next time at the polling station.

Ireland just about dodged that bullet. And Greece changed course in the last minute.

Uk, asia, usa, germany will just sail through this. They have so much financial firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.
    You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right. It had absolutely no hand , act or part in the abortion and same sex marriage referendum and it actually massively slowed down by the measaly few actions it took - over the nine years you refer to- the recovery of the economy. I COULD GO ON , but as you said it did nothing so I would not be going on for long.
    If there was any other government in place over the nine years , not only would it have substantially solved the major housing, health and and education issues BUT would have built up a large WAR CHEST to finance any glitches that might hit the economy such as brexit, a virus attack, etc, etc, etc.

Leo's speech went well and the govt seem to be doing a great job so credit where it is due but lets not forget the state FG left us in prior to the election. One charismatic speech does not write the last 4 years off.

I thought it was nine years. You have shortened it to four. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

J_1980 wrote: »
    The only positive out of this, it’s the end of left politics across Europe. The economic stall will be unrecoverable in Italy/France/Spain that continually voted populist/centre left.
    Absolutely zero sympathies, enjoy you financial ruin :) Maybe use your brain next time at the polling station.

Ireland just about dodged that bullet. And Greece changed course in the last minute.

Uk, asia, usa, germany will just sail through this. They have so much financial firepower.

So your openly hoping that some European countries economies effectively collapse? Brains are always used in polling stations, it's okay for people to have differing opinions to yours, it leads to a healthy democracy. Greece changed its mind, or was forced! Everyone will be badly effected here, including the ones you've chosen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Suckit wrote: »
    A bit of common sense. Nothing can be done now. I think it's 48 people allowed in the Dáil? (I haven't been able to follow the news over the past week).

It's not a position I would want to find myself in for sure, so I am not envious of him. But I have little doubt that anyone else in that position would be doing things much differently for better or for worse.

Why comment on the speech if you haven’t seen it? Your girlfriend’s dog’s groomer’s aunt is talking ****e anyway, probably lifted their opinion from the Waterford Whispers article about future episodes of Reeling in the Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

J_1980 wrote: »

Yeah, let's all do a rain-dance hoping the global economy gets torched in this black swan event just so you can say 'left politics' is dead.

Of all the dummy things posted in this thread, your contribution takes the biscuit.

smurgen wrote: »
    His speech was probably written by at least 2 consultants and then ran past a focus group.lets not backslap too hard until they make hard decisions and put FG skin in the game.
    Are you trying to give the impression that Leo was just saying something that were the thoughts/opinions , etc of somebody else and that he empathy/ feelings , etc, etc re the points he made.
    So, avoid ‘cherry picking ‘ if you can. All leaders and many others have one or a number of speech writers. The person who writes her/his own speech without running it by a number of relevant people is making a potentially major mistake. Getting a person to write what you want to say is another way of doing the same thing. You get feed in , feed back, etc.
    No leader ‘ worth their salt’ would deliver a speech that she/he did not believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can't help noticing that the Shinners have gone very quiet all of a sudden? A few weeks ago they were screaming to get their hands on the levers of power. Now that there's a health crisis and real work to be done, they don't seem so anxious to lead us all to the promised land!!

Even then it had become decidedly Luke warm once the reality of some actual hard work was hitting. MLM is very much lacking any real energy or hunger to be Taoiseach. Sound bites every time but shies away from the hard graft. Once this crisis hit it was game over for any dreams of SF governing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

road_high wrote: »
    Even then it had become decidedly Luke warm once the reality of some actual hard work was hitting. MLM is very much lacking any real energy or hunger to be Taoiseach. Sound bites every time but shies away from the hard graft. Once this crisis hit it was game over for any dreams of SF governing

Impossible to debate with bile and hate of that depth.

Over and over and over again on the thread.

Impossible to debate with bile and hate of that depth. ...........

I didn't detect any bile or anything in the post you've quoted.
    Realistic musings perhaps.

For me, Leo just doesn't come across as genuine. He never has. He is a bad choice of leader for FG.

The typical Irish person has a problem with anyone who does not espouse your range of typical Irish habits, ways of saying things, way they dress, how they socialize etc, etc, etc.. . IMO we had a ‘problem’ with the Shane Ross’s, Leo Vradker’s, AlanShatter’s, etc, etc , of this world. Such individuals come from a multi cultural background, directly or indirectly which we , quiet often, do not take a shine to. Our attitude to such individuals could be somewhat tempered if they slurped pints of Guinness in pubs and other such typical Traditional Irish practices. Maybe a son/daughter/ relative playing Gaelic could also help.

Leo can be quiet direct and is not into fudging issues. Is inclined to answer questions directly. He could do well to take a leaf out of Bertie’s book.

Alan ‘ s style as coming across as being very sure of his subject and in a sort of an arrogant way does not go down too well with us. Is this the influence ofJewish heritage coming through

Shane’s tone, way of speaking, indicates that he definitely is not from Kerry, cork, or Dönegal or from any other county for that matter. We would guess that he is from an Anglo/ elitist background. Such also does not go down too well with us.
    SO BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE we quiet often MARK THE MAN AND NOT THE BALL and end up getting individuals outed for the WRONG reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I thought the speech was great. The “not all superheroes wear capes” line was the only one I found a bit cringe.

I’m glad we have a leader who has gone through medical training, who has a partner who is a practicing doctor and other family members working in healthcare. It’s allowed him to grasp the gravity of our situation more quickly than our UK neighbours and the US.

Lives will be saved because of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Leo did well last night. The man is capable. Tougher times ahead too.

Can you imagine Enda in charge of this mess?

And nobody could listen to M Martin or Mary Lou at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    You're bashing SF and have been. A bit rich.i realize the predicament we're in which is why I want decisive action taken now.

Sinn Fein are rightly getting a bashing all over social media.

The local SF idiot in Dublin 15 put up a tweet last night about Leo that could have been written by Francie so out of touch it was, and he has got completely hammered in replies. They are getting the tone on this completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Field east wrote: »
    Are you trying to give the impression that Leo was just saying something that were the thoughts/opinions , etc of somebody else and that he empathy/ feelings , etc, etc re the points he made.
    So, avoid ‘cherry picking ‘ if you can. All leaders and many others have one or a number of speech writers. The person who writes her/his own speech without running it by a number of relevant people is making a potentially major mistake. Getting a person to write what you want to say is another way of doing the same thing. You get feed in , feed back, etc.
    No leader ‘ worth their salt’ would deliver a speech that she/he did not believe in.

To be fair to Leo, and I am no FG fan, what do you expect him to say?
    things are changing so fast that any pre-prepared statement would probably be out of date before it was even aired on TV or Radio.

You can read the full text of his speech here
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-full-text-of-leo-varadkar-s-st-patrick-s-day-broadcast-1.4205405

generally it was a statement asking people to take this virus outbreak seriously, isolate as much as possible, and thanking the different services for the work done so far.

The only solid measure announced was
    "The Government has already signed off a 3 billion euro package for health, social welfare and business – we will take further action as needed."

To criticise any leader, no matter which party, at this time is ridiculous.
    Some measures might need legislation, others many days of planning and preparation before they can be put into action. Its a highly fluid situation, and I would imagine difficult for any government as they dont get to decide whats right or what should be done, they are predominantly taking advice from experts and finding the best way to action that advice. Thats really all they can do at the moment.

The next immediate challenge that faces the government, is keeping businesses that have been forced to close somehow alive and solvent until they can start trading again as soon as it is safe to do so, and dealing with the issue of thousands of tenants and mortgage holders unable to make payment. It appears they are meeting with the banks today, and what ever action is decided will probably need some form of legislation. That's going to take a number of days, but at least the current government is addressing the issue now rather than waiting for it to blow up in their face.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I thought the speech was great. The “not all superheroes wear capes” line was the only one I found a bit cringe.

I’m glad we have a leader who has gone through medical training, who has a partner who is a practicing doctor and other family members working in healthcare. It’s allowed him to grasp the gravity of our situation more quickly than our UK neighbours and the US.

Lives will be saved because of it.

‘The superhero cape’. He was , I assume, referring to the guy flying between buildings to save a person in trouble. I cannot recall what these individuals are called or what films they are in. I cringed for a brief second but then the penny dropped

blanch152 wrote: »

The local SF idiot in Dublin 15 put up a tweet last night about Leo that could have been written by Francie so out of touch it was, and he has got completely hammered in replies. They are getting the tone on this completely wrong.

He said 'That FG have done well on this bar a few lapses and failures'?

We know you require people on their knees in blind adoration of 'de party' to be considered rational opinion...but in the real world, people may die unneccesarily if the government fail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Didnt think there was anything in that speech that couldnt have been said in an interview on the news. An emergency broadcast was unnecessary scaremongering. I cant understand the over the top back-slapping that seems to have greeted it.

Impossible to debate with bile and hate of that depth.

Over and over and over again on the thread.

I'm not looking to debate or engage with you, it's a waste of time. And if you want bile check out your pal Paul Donnelly "TD" on Twitter last night. An absolute disgrace but no surprise given the SF anticidence. Silver lining is of course he's not in government. Long may it continue.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Didnt think there was anything in that speech that couldnt have been said in an interview on the news. An emergency broadcast was unnecessary scaremongering. I cant understand the over the top back-slapping that seems to have greeted it.

Never saw it described as such- least not officially- can you link us to where this was described as such?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

blanch152 wrote: »

Of course they are blanch dear.

Here thisll keep you going for the foreseeable.

https://twitter.com/ivanyatesnt/status/1240202329166622720?s=21

I'm not looking to debate or engage with you,

Of course you aren't. You just want to continue posting lazy generalisations and hate speech.

Something you accuse others of doing on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,753 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Never saw it described as such- least not officially- can you link us to where this was described as such?

They used the emergency broadcast legislation to do it, didn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,753 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

keano_afc wrote: »

An interview on the news would not have seemed as important. Even if nothing earth shattering was said, the method and delivery of the message lent it the gravitas and import it needs at this time - to get across how serious this is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement