Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Of course you aren't. You just want to continue posting lazy generalisations and hate speech.

Something you accuse others of doing on Twitter.

“Hate speech” lol would you ever go lie down in a dark room. Nothing I said about MLM is disputed by actual evidence of course! You’re an embarrassment to yourself. You’re everything negative that is SF exactly the same as thingy on Twitter.

They used the emergency broadcast legislation to do it, didn't they?

I don’t know. I asked you where it was described as an “emergency broadcast”? It either was or it wasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They used the emergency broadcast legislation to do it, didn't they?

TBH I think what he managed to do was scare a lot of people, using this facility. Their(FG's) tweet and FB machine was informing people for an hour or two before that 'The Taoiseach was going to address the nation at 9pm'. Somebody actually interrupted a work conference I was having online to say 'IT' was happening.

It unnecessarily frightened a lot of people in my care as they thought that the crisis had worsened.
    What we got was a (depending on your sensibilities) a Hollywood style motivational address to the nation.

Welcome, if you are into that kind of thing. Not of much use otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,753 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

road_high wrote: »
    I don’t know. I asked you where it was described as an “emergency broadcast”? It either was or it wasn’t

https://extra.ie/2020/03/17/news/irish-news/leo-varadkar-to-make-emergency-broadcast-to-nation-at-9pm
    The broadcast is being made under Section 112 of the Broadcast Act, which allows the Government broadcasting time for announcements in the event of a major emergency.

Runaways wrote: »
    Of course they are blanch dear.

Here thisll keep you going for the foreseeable.

https://twitter.com/ivanyatesnt/status/1240202329166622720?s=21

We’re safe enough there. MLM couldn’t set up a raffle let alone set up and run a government.

• Advertisement

TBH I think what he managed to do was scare a lot of people, using this facility. Their(FG's) tweet and FB machine was informing people for an hour or two before that 'The Taoiseach was going to address the nation at 9pm'. Somebody actually interrupted a work conference I was having online to say 'IT' was happening.

It unnecessarily frightened a lot of people in my care as they thought that the crisis had worsened.
    What we got was a (depending on your sensibilities) a Hollywood style motivational address to the nation.

Welcome, if you are into that kind of thing. Not of much use otherwise.

Costa Coffee and the local chipper packed out the door yesterday.

I don't think any amount of scaring was unnecessary.

Large enough portions of the population continue to not give a sh1t. If any of them copped on it would be great.

Augeo wrote: »
    I didn't detect any bile or anything in the post you've quoted.
    Realistic musings perhaps.

Shinners can’t bare the truth. If you don’t agree with them it’s “hate”.

Nothing I said about MLM is disputed by actual evidence of course! .

This is disputed.
    MLM is very much lacking any real energy or hunger to be Taoiseach.

In the vote in the Dáil MLMD won the most votes for Taoiseach.

Can you prove how you have assessed she has no 'real energy' or 'hunger' to be Taoiseach?

Or is it just a lazy and easy generalisation, as anyone who deals with facts would guess?

Large enough portions of the population continue to not give a sh1t. If any of them copped on it would be great.

That is going to take actual work...not broadcasts that that demographic is not going to pay any attention to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my local chipper doing delivery only

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

We’re safe enough there. MLM couldn’t set up a raffle let alone set up and run a government.

I don’t know where yis get the time.

That facility really should only be used for the most grave of situations.

As stated, nothing wrong at all in hearing from the Taoiseach regularly, but there was nothing in what Leo said that couldn't have been stated in a 'special interview' on the news.

Do the same thing as SF do if the party wants to get notice out there on social media. People were unnecessarily alarmed at a time when calm is important.

e.g.

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1239550959791091713/photo/1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    my local chipper doing delivery only

Cool.

Doesn't change the fact the one i'm talking about was packed out, inside and a queue outside. Along with the local coffee shops and basically any eatery that hasn't closed itself.

There are enough people that won't police themselves, at the moment.

That facility really should only be used for the most grave of situations.

As stated, nothing wrong at all in hearing from the Taoiseach regularly, but there was nothing in what Leo said that couldn't have been stated in a 'special interview' on the news.

Do the same thing as SF do if the party wants to get notice out there on social media. People were unnecessarily alarmed at a time when calm is important.

e.g.

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1239550959791091713/photo/1

If we don't get behind isolation measures thousands to near a hundred thousand (2% mortality rate) could die. WTF do you want that number ot be before it is a grave situation?

I disagree with you completely. there are many people for who calm is not required, and their calmness about the situation is exactly the problem.

Its not about getting notice on social media. its about trying to get the people of Ireland onboard for what is going to be a difficult time.

That tweet got 7 retweets and 34 likes. FFS. Is that the level you want the government to be going for on Covid-19? We'll all be dead in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It needed to be, as from what I've seen in shops, and when out, social distancing isn't happening.

O'Connell Street might have been empty yesterday, but the likes of Glendalough were absolutely wedged.

I went for a walk in Roundwood in the morning, and we met several extended family groups (i.e. Grandparents/ Parents x2-4, Grand children) out for a walk. They were not paying attention to social distancing either within their group, but more importantly, making no effort to give distance when meeting other people.

I disagree with you completely. there are many people for who calm is not required, and their calmness about the situation is exactly the problem.

Its not about getting notice on social media. its about trying to get the people of Ireland onboard for what is going to be a difficult time.

That tweet got 7 retweets and 34 likes. FFS. Is that the level you want the government to be going for on Covid-19? We'll all be dead in a week.

Just a random tweet Mitch. I see thousands every week that I don't interact with.
    Still connect with them though.

I fear the demographic he 'connected' with are those that already know we are in for a difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Cool.

Doesn't change the fact the one i'm talking about was packed out, inside and a queue outside. Along with the local coffee shops and basically any eatery that hasn't closed itself.

:eek: Stuff like that would make you despair of the human race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Never saw it described as such- least not officially- can you link us to where this was described as such?

It was an emergency broadcast.
    It was broadcast by all TV media using Section 112 of the Broadcasting Act.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/we-are-with-you-taoiseach-preaches-solidarity-amid-covid-19-outbreak-988528.html

It was a good speech and a bit of a stunt let’s be honest but the amount of people creaming themselves over it on twitter is something else.

And he’s rehired that spin doctor previously let go cos well, bad optics...

So can only assume the finerbot team have doubled recruitment and arts working overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So FG are the only ones doing anything since the election.

125 TDs are not FG so they are keeping FG in power.

87 TDs are not FG or FF so they can't use the excuse that FF are proving them up.

The Greens won't go in as they know austerity is on the way.

So it seems FG will have to run the show for the next 18-24 months till a vaccine comes along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

It was a good speech and a bit of a stunt let’s be honest but the amount of people creaming themselves over it on twitter is something else.

And he’s rehired that spin doctor previously let go cos well, bad optics...

So can only assume the finerbot team have doubled recruitment and arts working overtime.

It really doesn't matter whether is was a good speech or a crap speech.
    This silly nit picking and political point scoring is stupid.

No matter what you politics are we should cut the man a bit of slack.
    To be be perfectly fair if it was Michael Martin or Mary Lou what would they have said instead? Pretty much the same thing possibly without the superman reference.

efanton wrote: »

To be be perfectly fair if it was Michael Martin or Mary Lou what would they have said instead? Pretty much the same thing possibly without the superman reference.

Conversely if Mary lou had given that exact speech word for word she’d be getting castigated here and everywhere.

efanton wrote: »

If you are 'cutting slack' it is also important to point out that mild criticism/advice is hardly high treason either.

The arrogant outrage that anyone might have a criticism of FG on here is funny tbh.

If you are 'cutting slack' it is also important to point out that mild criticism/advice is hardly high treason either.

The arrogant outrage that anyone might have a criticism of FG on here is funny tbh.

I mentioned finerbots and boards.ie to emmet Kirwan on twitter the other day.

He had some really choice words about them and here :)

Conversely if Mary lou had given that exact speech word for word she’d be getting castigated here and everywhere.

Rightly so.

She promised no austerity ever again no matter what the circumstances.

Leo has said it will cost us economically and take years to pay. Mary Lou can never back any austerity.

Rightly so.

She promised no austerity ever again no matter what the circumstances.

Leo has said it will cost us economically and take years to pay. Mary Lou can never back any austerity.

McWilliams has thoughts on his pod yesterday. We don’t have to borrow. We can just print money and keep it all afloat. There’s no rules against it.
    quantitative easing is going to happen in the US so why not here.

McWilliams has thoughts on his pod yesterday. We don’t have to borrow. We can just print money and keep it all afloat. There’s no rules against it.

It would be OK for 2-3 months.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/634/economics/the-problem-with-printing-money/

But it won't if the crisis lasts any longer.

TBH I think what he managed to do was scare a lot of people...............

It unnecessarily frightened a lot of people..............
    That is going to take actual work...not broadcasts that that demographic is not going to pay any attention to anyway.

Some folk were scared but some folk aren't going to pay any attention.
    Cheers for the synopsis of the nation's reaction.

He wanted us to borrow fook loads for various projects recently.
    He's a loon.

• Advertisement

I mentioned finerbots and boards.ie to emmet Kirwan on twitter the other day.

He had some really choice words about them and here :)

Criticise FG in any way and people around here start fainting in outrage.

Some of them need to realise it isn't a fan site it's a political discussion forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement