Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

He who pays the piper calls the tune

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Criticise FG in any way and people around here start fainting in outrage.

Some of them need to realise it isn't a fan site it's a political discussion forum.

Laughed out loud at this :D:D:D Your lack of self-awareness is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

It truly is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Shinners were never known for being good at taking their own medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have been so impressed with FG's handling of this, I would genuinely consider joining their party after this has abated.

I have seen a few tweets from some idiot politicians trying to take advantage of this, but last nights address was just superb. I had forgotten how populations can be kind of not very clever when it comes to these sort of things. Last night was not about giving new information, it was about making sure everybody knows whats going on and showing that there is a plan, but there is also a lot of certainty down the line.

I would also say that there could be some dark turns over the coming weeks that people are still not getting. Its a shame because I saw last nights speech as a monumental step in transparency that many other countries are not getting from their leaders. Last night was partially about doing what Dr Aylward said at the end of last month:

“Your success hinges on your population,” he said. “Your population has got to have a high index of suspicion. They have to understand what this disease is – how it manifests. And they have to know how to get tested if they think they have it.”

Think of efforts to contain the virus as “war,” he said. “This is a function of leadership, communication and engagement of your population against a common threat.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-covid-19-not-beyond-control-canadian-who-expert-bruce-aylward-says/

Any politician having a go at last nights speech should have a long hard think about themselves because they have made a stupid miscalculation just to get some browny points from equally uneducated people who did not get last night.

If there was an election tomorrow I would be supporting FG because I think after a sluggish start until maybe 9 days ago, they have done a superb job in our time of most need. Whether thats just listen to advice from Authorities, EU or WHO, they are doing it right. It is just a shame that alot of people did not understand this when watching last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

People on here 'discuss' stuff.

'Some' people just keep posting the same anti SF diatribe over and over again with vague references to unproveable stuff.

How do we know they are unproveable...because they have been asked to prove them...yet then have the fainting fits and lashing out the 'shinnerbot' stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have been so impressed with FG's handling of this, I would genuinely consider joining their party after this has abated.

I have seen a few tweets from some idiot politicians trying to take advantage of this, but last nights address was just superb. I had forgotten how populations can be kind of not very clever when it comes to these sort of things. Last night was not about giving new information, it was about making sure everybody knows whats going on and showing that there is a plan, but there is also a lot of certainty down the line.

I would also say that there could be some dark turns over the coming weeks that people are still not getting. Its a shame because I saw last nights speech as a monumental step in transparency that many other countries are not getting from their leaders. Last night was partially about doing what Dr Aylward said at the end of last month:

“Your success hinges on your population,” he said. “Your population has got to have a high index of suspicion. They have to understand what this disease is – how it manifests. And they have to know how to get tested if they think they have it.”

Think of efforts to contain the virus as “war,” he said. “This is a function of leadership, communication and engagement of your population against a common threat.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-covid-19-not-beyond-control-canadian-who-expert-bruce-aylward-says/

Any politician having a go at last nights speech should have a long hard think about themselves because they have made a stupid miscalculation just to get some browny points from equally uneducated people who did not get last night.

If there was an election tomorrow I would be supporting FG because I think after a sluggish start until maybe 9 days ago, they have done a superb job in our time of most need. Whether thats just listen to advice from Authorities, EU or WHO, they are doing it right. It is just a shame that alot of people did not understand this when watching last night.

Were ye that impressed by a scripted speech or did ye forget their performance in actual govt over the last 9 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yeah George W. got that swing after 9/11.
    Like all things you hope they do a good job, not for them but for the people.
    The trouble is I'm reminded of 2011 when I bought into Kenny under the mistaken belief that things were so bad they'd cut the selfish behaviour and put the public first. While I wish them well during this time, I'll not be fooled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

No bounce for FG I feel.

Once its over SF will be in claiming no need for austerity. Or we need a debt write down for what was borrowed.

Bowie wrote: »
    Yeah George W. got that swing after 9/11.
    Like all things you hope they do a good job, not for them but for the people.
    The trouble is I'm reminded of 2011 when I bought into Kenny under the mistaken belief that things were so bad they'd cut the selfish behaviour and put the public first. While I wish them well during this time, I'll not be fooled again.

They have increased public spending by 13 billion since 2016.

Everybody on welfare gets loads of free stuff.

Free GP care.
    Free hospital.
    Free housing.
    Grants for school kids books and clothes
    Etc

They needed to start helping the squeezed middle more. But that chance has past as austerity is coming back.

• Advertisement

Free GP care.
    Free hospital.
    Free housing.
    Etc

They needed to start helping the squeezed middle more. But that chance has past as austerity is coming back.

You mean 'the man who gets up early in the morning?'
    Leo nor FG are driving that bus.

But the crisis will eventually pass.

How will you feel when you're taxed more?

There will have to make cut backs in the budget.

FG increased public spending by way too much since 2016. By 13 billion.

Then SF and the rest of the left will steam in with the message we can't face austerity again. The very same people who said FG spent too little on public services over the last few years.

A bunch of jokers the lot of them.

Where is the party that's going to reform public spending instead of just throwing money at it?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Were ye that impressed by a scripted speech or did ye forget their performance in actual govt over the last 9 years?

I’ve been watching this unfold for months. The speech is just one part of the strategy that some people do not seem to be able to grasp is part of crisis management.

How will you feel when your taxed more?

There will have to make cut backs in the budget.

FG increased public spending by way too much since 2016. By 13 billion.

Then SF and the rest of the left will steam in with the message we can't face austerity again. The very same people who said FG spent too little on public services over the last few years.

A bunch of jokers the lot of them.

Where is the party that's going to reform public spending instead of just throwing money at it?

There is a recession coming regardless of party. I’m self employed and don’t know how this is going to effect my business. I don’t blame FG for any of this, it’s a global pandemic, but I think the actions they have taken recently are going to mitigate the disaster coming. However bad it gets, it could of been a lot worse had our government not acted so quickly and so well the last 9 days.

This crisis has not even properly started and I’ve been so impressed with how they have kicked into gear. I’m not sure what happened the last 9 years is going to matter over the coming months. With a government that’s actually on its way out it might allow them to make the hard calls out newer potential government would be reluctant or slower to make.

No bounce for FG I feel.

Once its over SF will be in claiming no need for austerity. Or we need a debt write down for what was borrowed.

Debt write down...imagine the trouble we’d be in now if we burnt the bond holders...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

No bounce for FG I feel.

We will be hearing them bleat for the next 4/5 years and then they can have another go at getting a majority

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Debt write down...imagine the trouble we’d be in now if we burnt the bond holders...

Possibly be in a better place, as a large proportion of revenue has gone towards servicing the debts created from bailing them out

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Possibly be in a better place, as a large proportion of revenue has gone towards servicing the debts created from bailing them out

We would have no one tomorrow from or if we convinced someone they rates would be insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Free GP care.
    Free hospital.
    Free housing.
    Etc

I feel if they put as much effort into keeping a waitress afloat, without calling her a sponger, as they do large investors and business, they might come out of it okay. Nobody buys into the trickle down myth anymore especially not the FF/FG brand of it. We can't be 'all in it together' just for certain interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wanderer78 wrote: »

How so? Absolutely no way that we would have reserves able to pay for equipment for the HSE and social welfare for the 200,000 losing their jobs. We would still be out of the bond markets and up sh1t creek without a paddle if we had burned the bond holders.

Looking back we have to be thankful that Noonan had the guts to stand up to the idiots calling on us to renounce our debts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Looks like FG supporters are determined to make political capital out of the crisis despite their "pulling together" rhetoric.

Fairly low if you ask me

TBH I think what he managed to do was scare a lot of people, using this facility. Their(FG's) tweet and FB machine was informing people for an hour or two before that 'The Taoiseach was going to address the nation at 9pm'. Somebody actually interrupted a work conference I was having online to say 'IT' was happening.

It unnecessarily frightened a lot of people in my care as they thought that the crisis had worsened.
    What we got was a (depending on your sensibilities) a Hollywood style motivational address to the nation.

Welcome, if you are into that kind of thing. Not of much use otherwise.

So you think those people who thought the crisis had worsened were wrong, and that things are getting better?

Can I have some of what you’re injecting as nothing I can drink or smoke would make me think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yurt! wrote: »
    Looks like FG supporters are determined to make political capital out of the crisis despite their "pulling together" rhetoric.

Fairly low if you ask me
    Of course SF would never do that

Yurt! wrote: »

Fairly low if you ask me

No harm in looking at the current facts and back at recent history to learn lessons from it.

For example, look at how the trolley crisis has melted away. Those of us who said it was a combination of poor work practices at the frontline together with the entitlement culture turning up for free A&E for a scratch may well have been right all along. Terrible that it has taken a crisis like this to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Leo did well last night. The man is capable. Tougher times ahead too.

Can you imagine Enda in charge of this mess?

And nobody could listen to M Martin or Mary Lou at this point.

I think one advantage he brings is the fact he's a doctor, plus he also has some deeper connections to the health service through his partner and family (and presumably through friends from his doctoring days?)

Kenny would probably have gone AWOL by now, and I'm not sure Martin couldn't help but getting very personally involve.

As for McDonald......I didn't mind voting for them - we need to do something different regarding housing, transport and public services in general, but this would not have been the time for such an inexperienced individual to be in charge.....plus looking around it's the populist governments who seem to be cocking up.

blanch152 wrote: »
    No harm in looking at the current facts and back at recent history to learn lessons from it.

For example, look at how the trolley crisis has melted away. Those of us who said it was a combination of poor work practices at the frontline together with the entitlement culture turning up for free A&E for a scratch may well have been right all along. Terrible that it has taken a crisis like this to learn.

What are the current trolley numbers?

blanch152 wrote: »

And all of those thousands of health care workers which FG couldn't hire before Christmas with record waiting lists at every hospital.
    Terrible that it has taken a crisis for FG to learn how to govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

What are the current trolley numbers?

Acute Hospitals Today - 14 with (2 over 9hrs)
    Acute Hospitals Same Day Last Year - 427 with (214 over 9hrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The AMA with a consultant on the Corona forum was interesting on this. As with a lot of things, "many" impacting on the "few" who are actually in critical need

• Advertisement

Health is such a difficult area. Government after government have been unable to deal with it. Hard to see it improving any time soon. Those numbers are staggering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement