Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,823 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And all of those thousands of health care workers which FG couldn't hire before Christmas with record waiting lists at every hospital.
    Terrible that it has taken a crisis for FG to learn how to govern.

When the crisis passes, questions will have to be asked...tough ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

When the crisis passes, questions will have to be asked...tough ones.

They can always find the money when they want to.
    I'll be more disgusted if another national disaster is used by FG to look after their own. Thankfully we've had the election and whatever shape any FF FG coalition may take they'll only be able to look after some of their own. The tax payer might get a look in without too many sweet deals and crony appointments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve been watching this unfold for months. The speech is just one part of the strategy that some people do not seem to be able to grasp is part of crisis management.

Leo just relayed information given to him by medical experts and civil servants.
    That’s all.

He didn’t even write that speech. He just read it.

It’s bizarre people are so easily fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

blanch152 wrote: »
    No harm in looking at the current facts and back at recent history to learn lessons from it.

For example, look at how the trolley crisis has melted away. Those of us who said it was a combination of poor work practices at the frontline together with the entitlement culture turning up for free A&E for a scratch may well have been right all along. Terrible that it has taken a crisis like this to learn.

But that is not the case, and you probably already know that, but I guess you are going to still take the cheap shot if its available.

Many of those people that no longer are on trolleys are at home, suffering and still in need of medical attention, but doctors have probably decided its safer for them to be at home than in a high risk environment of being infected by the virus

Unfortunately many of these same people will be dead by the time this crisis is over.

So if your solution to the trolley crisis is thinning out the population or preventing access to medical care then I cant really see many sane people agreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

efanton wrote: »
    But that is not the case, and you probably already know that, but I guess you are going to still take the cheap shot if its available.

Many of those people that no longer are on trolleys are at home, suffering and still in need of medical attention, but doctors have probably decided its safer for them to be at home than in a high risk environment of being infected by the virus

Unfortunately many of these same people will be dead by the time this crisis is over.

So if your solution to the trolley crisis is thinning out the population or preventing access to medical care then I cant really see many sane people agreeing with you.

The Mammy was a nursing sister and I've one brother a doctor and I've heard both discuss how a good chunk of ED cases could be resolved with paracetamol, a good night's sleep and steady fluids.

People go to the ED because it's free and the litigious nature of society forces doctors to practice defensive medicine meaning any doubt implies the patient should be admitted.

• Advertisement

Housemate/best friend is a nurse 25 years here and can confirm every hospital has been cleared of ‘bed blockers’. Thousands of them nationwide. Basically elderly people literally abandoned by families who can’t afford a nursing home. Getting all the care and attention they would in a nursing home but just taking up beds years at a time in some cases in ordinary wards in hospitals all over the country. They’ve all been cleared out.

The virus was the perfect reason to do it and while it’s for the best overall it is another sharp turn into the American system Leo seems to want for our health service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Runaways wrote: »
    Housemate/best friend is a nurse 25 years here and can confirm every hospital has been cleared of ‘bed blockers’. Thousands of them nationwide. Basically elderly people literally abandoned by families who can’t afford a nursing home. Getting all the care and attention they would in a nursing home but just taking up beds years at a time in some cases in ordinary wards in hospitals all over the country. They’ve all been cleared out.

The virus was the perfect reason to do it and while it’s for the best overall it is another sharp turn into the American system Leo seems to want for our health service

Is it for the best overall?

Is it for the best overall?

Well it opens up beds and hopefully shakes that blind eye / very Irish matron ‘well look after them’ thinking still rampant in our system (according to him). So hopefully trolley numbers will stay down. This virus isn’t going anywhere and will become the new normal before the end of the year for health services. The media will move on soon enough.
    Leo’s speech was little more than a perfectly timed stunt. He’ll float into government now with ff. We know this.

When is the next election is the question? Or how long after the crest of this crisis will they ride it?

Probably hoping we all just forget the state of play and confusion before it arrived here

Well it opens up beds and hopefully shakes that blind eye / very Irish matron ‘well look after them’ thinking still rampant in our system (according to him). So hopefully trolley numbers will stay down. This virus isn’t going anywhere and will become the new normal before the end of the year for health services. The media will move on soon enough.
    Leo’s speech was little more than a perfectly timed stunt. He’ll float into government now with ff. We know this.

When is the next election is the question? Or how long after the crest of this crisis will they ride it?

Probably hoping we all just forget the state of play and confusion before it arrived here
    To be fair, I don't think it was a stunt. There were plenty posters of opposition parties on here complaining that he wasn't addressing the nation. And then when he does, its a stunt. Leo's problem is that he just isn't likeable. He doesn't come across as genuine. People will complain no matter what he does. It does seem to be working out for him at the moment though. I just can't see it lasting. Even after the recent commemoration gaff he still threw in the Churchill line. His biggest problem is he doesn't learn. He is a bigger enemy to FG than SF are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Housemate/best friend is a nurse 25 years here and can confirm every hospital has been cleared of ‘bed blockers’. Thousands of them nationwide. Basically elderly people literally abandoned by families who can’t afford a nursing home.

The Fair Deal scheme means nursing homes are affordable for all?

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »

Never said or suggested that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Mammy was a nursing sister and I've one brother a doctor and I've heard both discuss how a good chunk of ED cases could be resolved with paracetamol, a good night's sleep and steady fluids.

People go to the ED because it's free and the litigious nature of society forces doctors to practice defensive medicine meaning any doubt implies the patient should be admitted.

Firstly, my self and the wife don't have a medical card. However my wife does have an underlying illness, due to Covid 19 unfortunately she cannot attend our local GP. She described her symptoms over the phone and I picked up some steroids for her on Monday but the problem is actually getting worse. As her symptoms are similar to Covid 19 she is self isolating and waiting for the test. To date no one has arrived.

The problem is however, my wife believes this is pneumonia, which she suffers from almost on an annual basis. As the lock down has ensured that we cannot visit our doc, I have decided that I will ring 999 tomorrow for an ambulance.

Not everything can be treated with a paracetamol and the theory of unintended consequences may kick in if people with other illnesses aren't treated at the cost of Covid 19.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Firstly, my self and the wife don't have a medical card. However my wife does have an underlying illness, due to Covid 19 unfortunately she cannot attend our local GP. She described her symptoms over the phone and I picked up some steroids for her on Monday but the problem is actually getting worse. As her symptoms are similar to Covid 19 she is self isolating and waiting for the test. To date no one has arrived.

The problem is however, my wife believes this is pneumonia, which she suffers from almost on an annual basis. As the lock down has ensured that we cannot visit our doc, I have decided that I will ring 999 tomorrow for an ambulance.

Not everything can be treated with a paracetamol and the theory of unintended consequences may kick in if people with other illnesses aren't treated at the cost of Covid 19.

Aw man. Hope she’s ok.
    I came back from Cambodia three weeks ago and few days later got really really sick and all the symptoms. Eventually got through to the helpline and after all the questions they deemed me a risk and sent an ambulance whole hazmat thing all that and wheeled into a different entrance and stuck in isolation for two days. Only to be told I’m negative and sent home. But come back in a week for bloods. Which I did. Now can’t get results cos all outpatients appointments are cancelled. Still coughing and a horrible weight in my chest or grip on my throat but I’m happy to say hse are on this ready and prepared but probably about to be overwhelmed. Look at today’s positive results.
    So definitely call them if she’s still sick. There has to be a parallel care aside from this crisis. We all seem to forget that. I do agree people go to emergency departments for the stupidest stuff but that sounds serious. Don’t be shy about getting her in there even if it’s an ambulance.
    They’ll be there for you.
    Hope you’re both gonna be ok. Come back and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Annax1 wrote: »
    my hot photos are here - 69chat.club

only 18+

If it's the FG front bench I think I'll give it a miss, thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I dont deny that there are some people that abuse the system.
    Wealthy people abuse the tax system, some people abuse the social welfare system, others the health system.

But we dont get rid of those systems just because a minority abuse it.

No matter what system is put in place there will always be those that will either abuse it, or use the rules to their own advantage.

In the meantime there are some whose health has been jeopardised by clearing the hospitals. They will not die on the spot, but many will die of have their health significantly impacted. Sadly they will disappear in the statistics, it will never be mentioned that lives might have been shortened because they were not able to get the medical intervention they needed in a timely fashion.

I just thought it was really bad taste to suggest that this virus had solved a trolley crisis without considering that there are a few people out there whose lives and health will be significantly impacted because hospital had to be cleared as much as they possibly could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just thought it was really bad taste to suggest that this virus had solved a trolley crisis without considering that there are a few people out there whose lives and health will be significantly impacted because hospital had to be cleared as much as they possibly could be.

When this virus does eventually become controllable keep that in mind.

Those that are patting themselves on the back right now (not mentioning any names) will not profit from it as much as they are expecting right now.
    Admittedly it is early days and imho way too early to be back patting anyway, but the people that I am referring to are already being spoken about on many levels (in the quarters that murmer, before the murmers turn to speech), about what could have been done - not in relation to the virus, but last year, two years ago, etc.
    Again, not mentioning anyone, but a big shout out now about the outstanding job the health system are doing, and the advice that they have given would be a good call.

But to take credit for it... Well.... that wouldn't be such a good call. Especially if it wasn't followed initially. Just a thought.

If Leo and fianna failure dont step in with a pause and equally for renters now the same way landlords are getting. It will tell you all you need to know and end them.

Bring on the finerbot cheerleaders in the replies

You can’t roll that one away like nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If Leo and fianna failure dont step in with a pause and equally for renters now the same way landlords are getting. It will tell you all you need to know and end them.

Bring on the finerbot cheerleaders in the replies

You can’t roll that one away like nothing.

It appears that they will have non-eviction protections for tenants for non payment of rent. But that probably wouldn’t fit into your agenda.

joeguevara wrote: »
    It appears that they will have non-eviction protections for tenants for non payment of rent. But that probably wouldn’t fit into your agenda.

How long is that sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Suckit wrote: »
    How long is that sustainable?

I’m presuming it lasts for the same length of time as mortgage holiday.

• Advertisement

So it's not really solving anything..

Suckit wrote: »
    So it's not really solving anything..

So what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Geuze wrote: »

Not all are suitable and not all want it and some simply don't want "give up part of the inheritance"

I can confirm the poster's figures are probably correct. The figures in Naas are close to 100 - that's out of 250 beds!!

As for trolley numbers. It's zero.

All these medical emergencies are no longer emergencies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Mary WHO McDonald?

Sinn Fein are utter wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Leo just relayed information given to him by medical experts and civil servants.
    That’s all.

He didn’t even write that speech. He just read it.

It’s bizarre people are so easily fooled.

Ya, he should have finished with a good old " Up the Ra " shout

Edgware wrote: »
    Ya, he should have finished with a good old " Up the Ra " shout

He has a Michael Collins portrait in his office but a Margaret thatcher picture in his bed stand.

He’s a confused robot. That’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He has a Michael Collins portrait in his office but a Margaret thatcher picture in his bed stand.

He’s a confused robot. That’s for sure.

Did he steal your boyfriend or something? I get the feeling you be bashing him no matter what he did. FYI he’s a qualified doctor so he understands what’s happening better than most.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Did he steal your boyfriend or something? I get the feeling you be bashing him no matter what he did. FYI he’s a qualified doctor so he understands what’s happening better than most.

Hardly.
    I’m just not gormless enough to forget 9 years after a single speech

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hardly.
    I’m just not gormless enough to forget 9 years after a single speech

I suspect you’re a Sinn Fein supporter who can see that Leo & FG are getting lots of credit for their handling of this crisis and are likely to slide back into government as a result and that’s annoying you.

• Advertisement

If Leo and fianna failure dont step in with a pause and equally for renters now the same way landlords are getting. ..........

Landlords will end up paying all of their mortgage.
    Are you suggesting a rent pause for 3 months for renters and then the 3 months rent gets spread over the future x months?

Or are you proposing a hand out that doesn't get paid back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement