Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

As I repeatedly say, the OP is ridiculous. FG are the only ones doing anything. Everyone else is running around in circles. Considering the hiding FG got in the election it’s been hilarious looking on at the other parties spinning themselves til they are dizzy

Buddy a few days ago you told anyone that would listen that other parties were politicising this.one look at it seems you're doing exactly that still.would you ever give it a rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I repeatedly say, the OP is ridiculous. FG are the only ones doing anything. Everyone else is running around in circles. Considering the hiding FG got in the election it’s been hilarious looking on at the other parties spinning themselves til they are dizzy

The OP was written in a different world to be frank. Ridiculous point again.

Only one party can do the main stuff and by dint of fluke that is the caretaker party. All the rest turned up and have done their duty by the people. Nobody is 'spinning'. It is ridiculous to watch and read you trying this on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I’m going to let you into a little secret...FG knew well they were going to have a bad election. The writing was on the wall. What did come as a surprise was how well SF did. They could not have had a better election. Yet, they still won’t be part of a government. And now with the current crisis, FG are coming up trumps. That has really pissed off the shinners.
    When you look at it now, FG couldn’t possibly be in a better place considering the hiding they took in the election. They have FF over a barrel as they need FG to stay relevant. And they have SF over a barrel. Because SF can’t get into power. And even if SF got an overall majority in the next election(highly unlikely but if), they are facing into years of austerity that will see them decimated in any following election as they just simply won’t have the money to fulfil their manifesto.
    SF’s long game remains a United ireland. If this happens they truly will be a force to be reckoned with. But this crisis has probably pushed that goal out quite a few years now. They say a week is a long time in politics, and the time since the euphoric election result has seen SF’s world turned upside down. Not their fault but it is what it is. Interesting times

I agree FG have FF over a barrel. I said that earlier. Michael Martin talked himself into a corner, burned every bridge he might have had, and now he is totally reliant on FG 'allowing' him to become taoiseach.

Sf will definitely do better in any forthcoming election. Now that people have seen there is a viable alternative to FG or FF in government more will jump to that opportunity. The independents will lose the majority of their seats which will go to SF instead.
    SF will also have learned from their mistakes. They will put far more candidates on the ground, and have solid transfers pacts with potential coalition partners. Labour will be forced to declare yea or nae before any election with regards to whether they would join a coalition. that will result in either the virtual extinction of the Labour party or possibly the numbers SF might need to form a government.

FF will lose yet more seats in another election. No one was impressed with Michael Martins performance in the general election, or his comments immediately after, not even large sections of his own party. I doubt Michael Martin will be leader of FF by the end of the year if the FF/FG coalition does not go ahead.

With regards FG coming up trumps, that's what they thought during the BREXIT 'crisis'. If FG go into coalition with FF then we can be certain that both parties will suffer further huge losses in five years time.

If FG pull out of a coalition now they will be seen as opportunists, clinging for power, and predicating their entire election on their performance during this virus crisis. FG really have feck'd up in a massive fashion. Had they refused to enter any negotiations to form a government, and another election was called, they might possibly have got a small bit of a bounce, and even if they did not they would have nothing to lose anyhow. Instead they squandered an opportunity. Michael Martin would take most of the hit for failing to form a coalition and refusing to consider a coalition with SF.

You would have to be a fool to believe that small business owners up and down the country will be flocking to fill the FG campaign chest with money, or giving them the support that FG might expect if another election is called. Instead of being ballsy by putting concrete guarantees in place to ensure companies will remain solvent even though they might not be trading, FG have chosen the cheap route yet again. Many companies will be bankrupt in 4 months time and will cease to exist. Those ex-company owners and their ex-employees will not be thanking FG for the fantastic job they did during the virus crisis.

It gets worse. Only a fool would believe that Ireland will be open for business and trading again in 3 months time, yet that is time limit they have imposed on rent/mortgage forgiveness. Yet again another wasted opportunity.
    Had they guaranteed rents or mortgage payments, and clawed those payments back from tenants and mortgage holders over a period of a few years once the virus outbreak was over, not only would they have protected their landlord buddies, but they would have regained the support of many voters and at the same time have done the appropriate and fair thing at this time for the country. Collected over a two or three year period once the crisis was over that money would add up to a massive windfall to spend in in the final year or two of the next term of government if the FF/FG coalition did go ahead. With the government able to borrow billions from the ECB, and knowing that every penny they spent in interim payments would be clawed back, you would have to ask is anyone actually thinking straight at FG HQ. Yes they would have to repay the ECB but the ECB will not be looking for immediate repayment.
    If the coalition doesnt happen, FG will be the ones that let thousands of businesses go bust, tenants losing their homes, and mortgage holders being at the mercy of banks and yet FG would have to face another general election later this year. Instead of being hero's they will be seen as the villains.

As things stand if no government can be formed over the next month a new election will almost certainly be called, but that election will not be able to take place until the virus epidemic has abated, probably toward the end of the year. SF will not be blamed for the handling of the virus crisis.

So whatever way you look at it its WIN/WIN/WIN for SF, and yet another pasting for FG. SF dont even have to look good or have the best policies for the next election, they will win the next election almost by default because they were not the party that lost people their homes or business, nor the FF party led by a complete fool who backed himself into a corner and could not even negotiate a formation of government.

I'm afraid you are reading the situation all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

As with everything the mortgage pause is for an initial 3 months and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Also, it hasn’t been fully implemented and a full announcement is expected by Wednesday with full instructions on how it will happen. It is also expected that special legislation for protection of tenants will be announced. It can’t be for a long term as that could incite fear in people.

You mention about an election will almost certainly be announced. If any political party even tries to do that they will be held to task. This is not the time for political scoring and the only thing that we are interested in is protecting the lives of people.

People will remember how they are treated in this. We will look at our situation in comparison to other countries like Italy.

I have to say that I am impressed with the posts of PBP that I see on my Facebook feed. They are solely on how to fill out Social welfare form, they post them to you if they ask, advice on social distancing, advice on anxiety and mental health. Not one giving out about political parties etc.

The future will decide our government. The present should be about making sure our loved ones get through this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Considering the ridiculousness of the OP and the continued raving of the shinners, it’s obvious FG have them completely rattled. I wonder why...

There’s spin and then there’s this.

Never has the establishment or anyone on here been more rattled than this election result.

By Sinn Fein.
    You’re in this thread.
    Look back.
    It’s. Right. There. too easy spotting the finerbots lads try harder. At least pretend you’re a Labour voter or something like our blanch.

• Advertisement

Runaways wrote: »
    There’s spin and then there’s this.

Never has the establishment of anyone here been more rattled than this election result
    You’re in this thread.
    Look back.
    It’s. Right. There. too easy spotting the finerbots lads try harder. At least pretend you’re a Labour voter or something like our blanch.

I’m not political. Certainly have no interest in Fine Gael. Find Varadkar a liability with no sense of real life or the realities of common Irish people. But at the same time, for the present, the outcome of the election is irrelevant. It means nothing as the lives of my parents and everyone’s family is unknown.

I must admit I am impressed with PBP. In Facebook feed see regular posts. Nothing to do with election. Only helpful things on social welfare access, anxiety information, information on mortgage pause.

Once finished we can get back to politics. Policians will have made connections that they would never have before. Until then, it should be put on hold and everything done to make sure we get out of this as unscathed as possible.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I’m not political. Certainly have no interest in Fine Gael. Find Varadkar a liability with no sense of real life or the realities of common Irish people. But at the same time, for the present, the outcome of the election is irrelevant. It means nothing as the lives of my parents and everyone’s family is unknown.

I must admit I am impressed with PBP. In Facebook feed see regular posts. Nothing to do with election. Only helpful things on social welfare access, anxiety information, information on mortgage pause.

Once finished we can get back to politics. Policians will have made connections that they would never have before. Until then, it should be put on hold and everything done to make sure we get out of this as unscathed as possible.

Nail on the head. He is a robot and as his colleague said, probably autistic. The only way to explain the complete lack of empathy or relatability. There’s a coldness comes off him. But I know autistic people and they don’t choose that. He seems to though.
    But it’s a bit convenient switching to the crisis. We can entertain this situation and that one simultaneously. Insulting to think we can’t.

you lost me at PBP but if they float your boat good luck.

Runaways wrote: »
    Nail on the head. He is a robot and as his colleague said, probably autistic. The only way to explain the complete lack of empathy or relatability. There’s a coldness comes off him. But I know autistic people and they don’t choose that. He seems to though.
    But it’s a bit convenient switching to the crisis. We can entertain this situation and that one simultaneously. Insulting to think we can’t.

you lost me at PBP but if they float your boat good luck.

I have no political preference and find most self serving. I include every party in that.

I just find their posts helpful to people rather than being political to people.

I do find what the government are doing is better than most countries. I hope they do more. I don’t get into thinking would SF do better. Who knows. I don’t care at the moment.

I am glad that I am not in U.K. or US at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The pro-FG elements are disgracing themselves here.

People are losing their lives and livelihoods, and their young pioneer cubscouts are rubbing their hands with glee using it as a political platform because Leo is on the tellie reading a speech.

I made a point in another thread that despots will make hay from these circumstances. Erdogan in Turkey, Xi in China. Instinctually, you lads aren't too far away from them.

A bit of cop on needed.

Yurt! wrote: »

People are losing their lives and livelihoods, and their young pioneer cubscouts are rubbing their hands with glee using it as a political platform because Leo is on the tellie reading a speech.

I made a point in another thread that despots will make hay from these circumstances. Erdogan in Turkey, Xi in China. Instinctually, you lads aren't too far away from them.

A bit of cop on needed.

To tell you the truth i didn’t watch the speech but did read the transcript. I have not seen anyone rub their hands in glee but if they have it is shocking. I have seen people comment about things that happened in the past which have merit. But I think all political point scoring and blame are irrelevant and distracting. It doesn’t matter only what happens now.

As long as people are safe, have light and heat, food on table and healthy, nothing else matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

smurgen wrote: »
    Buddy a few days ago you told anyone that would listen that other parties were politicising this.one look at it seems you're doing exactly that still.would you ever give it a rest?

Buddy...completely rattled. This whole thread is about politicising it!

A bit of cop on needed.

Despots...:D

Despots...:D

Tbf there is always a tendancy towards tyranny in FG,but the same is true for any party the world over,which styled itself as law and order party

Like any situation/issue that causes issue,(like water protests),the 1st responce usually is to throw gaurds at the situation instead of dialoge...or like the old heavy gangs of the 70s and 80s used to shut down "subversives" and their families

Wheter the leadership would meet the description of despots is another qs altogether,but there is plenty of tin-pot wannabe dictator within the ranks of their support anyway

efanton wrote: »
    I agree FG have FF over a barrel. I said that earlier. Michael Martin talked himself into a corner, burned every bridge he might have had, and now he is totally reliant on FG 'allowing' him to become taoiseach.

Sf will definitely do better in any forthcoming election. Now that people have seen there is a viable alternative to FG or FF in government more will jump to that opportunity. The independents will lose the majority of their seats which will go to SF instead.
    SF will also have learned from their mistakes. They will put far more candidates on the ground, and have solid transfers pacts with potential coalition partners. Labour will be forced to declare yea or nae before any election with regards to whether they would join a coalition. that will result in either the virtual extinction of the Labour party or possibly the numbers SF might need to form a government.

FF will lose yet more seats in another election. No one was impressed with Michael Martins performance in the general election, or his comments immediately after, not even large sections of his own party. I doubt Michael Martin will be leader of FF by the end of the year if the FF/FG coalition does not go ahead.

With regards FG coming up trumps, that's what they thought during the BREXIT 'crisis'. If FG go into coalition with FF then we can be certain that both parties will suffer further huge losses in five years time.

If FG pull out of a coalition now they will be seen as opportunists, clinging for power, and predicating their entire election on their performance during this virus crisis. FG really have feck'd up in a massive fashion. Had they refused to enter any negotiations to form a government, and another election was called, they might possibly have got a small bit of a bounce, and even if they did not they would have nothing to lose anyhow. Instead they squandered an opportunity. Michael Martin would take most of the hit for failing to form a coalition and refusing to consider a coalition with SF.

You would have to be a fool to believe that small business owners up and down the country will be flocking to fill the FG campaign chest with money, or giving them the support that FG might expect if another election is called. Instead of being ballsy by putting concrete guarantees in place to ensure companies will remain solvent even though they might not be trading, FG have chosen the cheap route yet again. Many companies will be bankrupt in 4 months time and will cease to exist. Those ex-company owners and their ex-employees will not be thanking FG for the fantastic job they did during the virus crisis.

It gets worse. Only a fool would believe that Ireland will be open for business and trading again in 3 months time, yet that is time limit they have imposed on rent/mortgage forgiveness. Yet again another wasted opportunity.
    Had they guaranteed rents or mortgage payments, and clawed those payments back from tenants and mortgage holders over a period of a few years once the virus outbreak was over, not only would they have protected their landlord buddies, but they would have regained the support of many voters and at the same time have done the appropriate and fair thing at this time for the country. Collected over a two or three year period once the crisis was over that money would add up to a massive windfall to spend in in the final year or two of the next term of government if the FF/FG coalition did go ahead. With the government able to borrow billions from the ECB, and knowing that every penny they spent in interim payments would be clawed back, you would have to ask is anyone actually thinking straight at FG HQ. Yes they would have to repay the ECB but the ECB will not be looking for immediate repayment.
    If the coalition doesnt happen, FG will be the ones that let thousands of businesses go bust, tenants losing their homes, and mortgage holders being at the mercy of banks and yet FG would have to face another general election later this year. Instead of being hero's they will be seen as the villains.

As things stand if no government can be formed over the next month a new election will almost certainly be called, but that election will not be able to take place until the virus epidemic has abated, probably toward the end of the year. SF will not be blamed for the handling of the virus crisis.

So whatever way you look at it its WIN/WIN/WIN for SF, and yet another pasting for FG. SF dont even have to look good or have the best policies for the next election, they will win the next election almost by default because they were not the party that lost people their homes or business, nor the FF party led by a complete fool who backed himself into a corner and could not even negotiate a formation of government.

I'm afraid you are reading the situation all wrong.

But the issue is that they have not shown to be a viable alternative. They still can't get close to being in power. Labour can never say yae to them as it will be the end of them.

There can't be an indefinite stay on payments. This will still all have to be paid for. People need to face that reality

FG won't be blamed for businesses closing. That is down to the pandemic.

Hopefully SF will get a shot next time out. They might finally have to do something then. They have been avoiding it for long enough.

Tbf there is always a tendancy towards tyranny in FG,but the same is true for any party the world over,which styled itself as law and order party

Like any situation/issue that causes issue,(like water protests),the 1st responce usually is to throw gaurds at the situation instead of dialoge...or like the old heavy gangs of the 70s and 80s used to shut down "subversives" and their families

Wheter the leadership would meet the description of despots is another qs altogether,but there is plenty of tin-pot wannabe dictator within the ranks of their support anyway

Despots. :D:D:D Go live in one of those countries and you'll soon have your eyes opened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

I have no political preference and find most self serving. I include every party in that.

I just find their posts helpful to people rather than being political to people.

I do find what the government are doing is better than most countries. I hope they do more. I don’t get into thinking would SF do better. Who knows. I don’t care at the moment.

I am glad that I am not in U.K. or US at the moment.

But what about Spain, France or Italy?

Field east wrote: »
    But what about Spain, France or Italy?

Wouldn’t want to be there either. I specifically mentioned US and U.K. though as I don’t trust what their leaders will do. I am not political and not anti trump or Johnson specifically but the lies they have told and the gambles would freak me out.

To tell you the truth I wouldn’t want to be anywhere. Love to be in an isolated cabin on a lake fishing.

Despots. :D:D:D Go live in one of those countries and you'll soon have your eyes opened

And again i didnt say they were...perhaps brush up on your comprehension skills and use less passive agressive emojis,these only reflect upon you poorly

Indeed speaking of those countries,what of family members of mine,who were attacked by the blueshirts in the 30s and the haeavy gangs in the 80s??

Your glad enough to stand up for FG,what justifies their actions there

And again i didnt say they were...perhaps brush up on your comprehension skills and use less passive agressive emojis,these only reflect upon you poorly

When I read your post I must admit I thought you did say it. Rereading it you didn’t say it but left it opened to be questioned. You did say though that their supporters could be considered as meeting the definition. I haven’t come across that. But if you have its,despicable.

When I read your post I must admit I thought you did say it. Rereading it you didn’t say it but left it opened to be questioned. You did say though that their supporters could be considered as meeting the definition. I haven’t come across that. But if you have its,despicable.

Thats fair enough,i will post clearer in future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A bit of cop on needed.
    Agreed

This thread is beyond useless at this stage, only trolls or the 'bored at home' are using it
    It should be locked along with quite a few others
    There are far far more important things to talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Leo lies there when he said a coalition was now on the cards because of Covid19. Only a few weeks ago he was having proper talks with FF regarding a coalition now he's pretending it's because of the current health emergency to try save face.
    When the country was broke Kenny got in on lies and because of the seriousness of the times he was believed by many. FG went on to crony appointments and sweet deals and overseeing record breaking crises year on year.
    Here, sadly, we've another crisis and yet another FG leader using it to look after his own.
    FG should never be trusted. They are only in it for themselves and its disgusting that they dishonestly use crises to do so.

We haven't even hit the peak of the crisis and already the 'great work' done is turning out not to be all that great at all.

Banks seem to be taking the proverbial as usual...'say one thing, do another'.
    And the Insurance industry also under fire for an inadequate response from publicans, who in fairness, did in the main, react very quickly.

Will FG step up to the mark finally with these interests?

I presume they'll take a back seat, preventing as many folk from dying being the priority.

We haven't even hit the peak of the crisis and already the 'great work' done is turning out not to be all that great at all.

And the Insurance industry also under fire for an inadequate response from publicans, who in fairness, did in the main, react very quickly.

Things like banks and insurance while important are not things that should be front and centre and distracting the politicians p(all not just in government).

When you say not to be great at all, the fact we have so few fatalities is all that we should be looking at.

Banks will announce on Wednesday what they will offer. Until then, we cannot give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Leo lies there when he said a coalition was now on the cards because of Covid19. Only a few weeks ago he was having proper talks with FF regarding a coalition now he's pretending it's because of the current health emergency to try save face.
    When the country was broke Kenny got in on lies and because of the seriousness of the times he was believed by many. FG went on to crony appointments and sweet deals and overseeing record breaking crises year on year.
    Here, sadly, we've another crisis and yet another FG leader using it to look after his own.
    FG should never be trusted. They are only in it for themselves and its disgusting that they dishonestly use crises to do so.

Get over it lads.

Mary-Lou tried to form a government but failed when nobody was willing to trust her. Shouting and roaring about FG on this thread won’t change that fact.

It now looks like Fine Gael will have to save the country again after another mess not of their making. Fair play to them if they do it, but I hope that we seize this opportunity to address the major issue of climate change.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Get over it lads.

Mary-Lou tried to form a government but failed when nobody was willing to trust her. Shouting and roaring about FG on this thread won’t change that fact.

It now looks like Fine Gael will have to save the country again after another mess not of their making. Fair play to them if they do it, but I hope that we seize this opportunity to address the major issue of climate change.

'Save the country'???

I think we are all doing that blanch. FG like anyone else is playing their part.

A 'part' that has not been granted 'immunity' by anyone bar the fan boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Things like banks and insurance while important are not things that should be front and centre and distracting the politicians p(all not just in government).

When you say not to be great at all, the fact we have so few fatalities is all that we should be looking at.

Banks will announce on Wednesday what they will offer. Until then, we cannot give out.

Oh some can, and being perma whingers, always do.
    These people are experts on,

Cheltenham...........................AFTER Cheltenham
    Scholl Closures.......................AFTER School Closures
    Pub/Hotel Closures..................AFTER Pub/Hotel Closures.
    etc. etc.

Always wise after the event. Sticks in their craw that the world and it's mother are giving credit to our leaders for how they'ye handling the emergency.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    [/B]

Oh some can, and being perma whingers, always do.
    These people are experts on,

Cheltenham...........................AFTER Cheltenham
    Scholl Closures.......................AFTER School Closures
    Pub/Hotel Closures..................AFTER Pub/Hotel Closures.
    etc. etc.

Always wise after the event. Sticks in their craw that the world and it's mother are giving credit to our leaders for how they'ye handling the emergency.

Do you know how many TDs were at cheltenham?

The answer might surprise you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement