Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah but the shinners proposed "SF wanted to increase public spending by 25billion per year by 2025" in conjunction with falling income tax and no Covid19 fall out to deal with. SF spending was largely going to line wasters' pockets.

But but what??

Your critising them.for x,while supporting someone doing almost identical

Seems strangly hypocritical to.me anyway....you think income is going to rise with 300K going on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Do you assume that every opposition to privatisation is an exclusive leftist stance?

No.

FG opposed the Eircom privatisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

After todays garda graduates we now have the highest number of Garda ever in the state.

All after FF closed Templemore and slashed recruitment and numbers because of the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Now that would be an entertaining thread!

I dont think there would be much compliant at all from any party for a metro scheme if fares were guaranteed to be low and affordable

what has many parties running scared of these public/private partnerships is the false promises of previous projects, and the eventual increased cost over and above what it would have cost if the government had just done it themselves.

Just look at all the M50 toll bridge, built under a public/private partnerships scheme. The promise was the bridge and M50 motorway could be built quicker, and a toll would be put in place until such time as the costs were covered along with a substantial profit at which time the toll would be removed. Well the bridge was built, the tolls have already fully paid for it along with a very substantial profit, but yet it is still being used as a cash cow to generated yet more profits for a PRIVATE company, on a PUBLICLY owned road.

I'm all for any scheme that would bring in affordable public transport at a reasonable cost. What I think most people and parties are against is the state giving away national assets so that private companies can use them as profit generating machines.

The point is previous governments have spoiled the Public/private model. They are no longer trusted to bring best values for the state or the general public.
    If fares were guaranteed in legislation to be a certain affordable price before the project commenced, and those fares could only be raised by consent of the Dail then I think you might see more acceptance of these private schemes. Like any business venture it would be up to the company involved to make sure that price was deliverable and profitable. If they feck up it should be their problem not the tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

After todays garda graduates we now have the highest number of Garda ever in the state.

All after FF closed Templemore and slashed recruitment and numbers because of the crash.

9 years and a pandemic later. :) What do they want a medal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

How many gardai has SF brought into the force?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

So if I go on the dole I get a free house free doctor and free travel?

How do I sign up for that?

Never heard of free travel to be very honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Runaways wrote: »
    So if I go on the dole I get a free house free doctor and free travel?

How do I sign up for that?

Never heard of free travel to be very honest.

unfortunately not, as eric cartman has said, you need to be a professional waster and never have any intenion of doing anything to get the free gaf etc. If you are a single mother made homeless though, youll be in a hotel for a few weeks and then have a taxpayer funded free gaf soon enough...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    unfortunately not, as eric cartman has said, you need to be a professional waster to collect all the stamps. If you are a single mother made homeless though, youll be in a hotel for a few weeks and then have a taxpayer funded free gaf soon enough...

You read too many tabloids. I know two families were in hotels and it’s no fault of their own and they were there a long time. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. But they’re not as you seem to think all doing it for free houses.

Also not everyone on welfare gets a medical card. Nor free travel. Apart from the elderly and even then not always.

So all your assumptions about everyone on the dole being wasters who get all this free stuff are basically wrong

Runaways wrote: »
    You read too many tabloids. I know two families were in hotels and it’s no fault of their own and they were there a long time. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. But they’re not as you seem to think all doing it for free houses.

Also not everyone on welfare gets a medical card. Nor free travel. Apart from the elderly and even then not always.

So all your assumptions about everyone on the dole being wasters who get all this free stuff are basically wrong

of course they arent all wasters. I have an issue with a welfare system no other state would tolerate. Why are people being laid off now, getting the same amount as wasters. come on... justify that!

• Advertisement

Taken a few out :pac:

far more effective building more prison spaces, the existing guards cant put away current dangerous scum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We still on the FG bashing?

Still confused about how government works and who gets to actually do stuff?

I am sure there are primer courses available on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Interesting to hear SF trying to muscle it's way back onto the news agenda today. Suddenly the government of national unity is something to talk about.

I guess they must be feeling the chill winds of irrelevance to the voting public?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Interesting to hear SF trying to muscle it's way back onto the news agenda today. Suddenly the government of national unity is something to talk about.

I guess they must be feeling the chill winds of irrelevance to the voting public?

Well the work Doherty did on the insurance business certainly seems relevant given the pressure they are coming under already.

I'm sure there'll be plenty more trying to cheat their way out of responsibility that will take the likes of SF and other fearless deputies to call out, while Leo reads out Hollywood style speeches he gets written for him.

Well the work Doherty did on the insurance business certainly seems relevant given the pressure they are coming under already.

I'm sure there'll be plenty more trying to cheat their way out of responsibility that will take the likes of SF and other fearless deputies to call out, while Leo reads out Hollywood style speeches he gets written for him.

While protecting insurance fraudsters and worse within his own party let’s not forget

But some clown SF td singing a song commemorating Bobby sands makes the news for weeks

Idbatterim wrote: »
    of course they arent all wasters. I have an issue with a welfare system no other state would tolerate. Why are people being laid off now, getting the same amount as wasters. come on... justify that!

Because they are now unemployed and not contributing to the state exactly the same as your so called 'wasters'?

You see this is the problem with you FG types, that think social welfare, public infrastructure and other government spending is a waste of money.
    Its all a waste of money until YOU PERSONALLY find yourself in need of them. Then suddenly its not good enough, and you feel you are entitled to more than anyone else. You are entitle to nothing more than anyone else based on the rules used to disperse social welfare.

We have a social welfare system that is being abused by a tiny minority, that is not in question. We also have a tax system that is also abused by the very wealthy, that too cant be questioned.
    But for the vast majority reliant on any social welfare payment what they get is just barely enough to provide a basic and very simple living.

If you feel that what is being offered to those who have lost their jobs is not enough then why have people like yourself constantly demanded reductions and freezing of social welfare benefits. Did it never occur to you that one day someone like yourself might find themselves out of work through no fault of their own and unable to find alternative employment?

Surely the intelligent thing to have done all the time and years you were complaining was to realise that for the vast majority what they might receive from social welfare really is not sufficient and allow for it to keep pace with general costs of living. But also instead of complaining in general, you should have complained about the loop holes that are being abused, and instead of refusing increases, demanded instead a cap on what any individual can claim.
    Believe it or not most people who support SF would agree with that approach.
    That way those that really need the help get what they NEED, but those that are milking the system would find it harder to do so with caps in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

efanton wrote: »

Just look at all the M50 toll bridge, built under a public/private partnerships scheme. The promise was the bridge and M50 motorway could be built quicker, and a toll would be put in place until such time as the costs were covered along with a substantial profit at which time the toll would be removed. Well the bridge was built, the tolls have already fully paid for it along with a very substantial profit, but yet it is still being used as a cash cow to generated yet more profits for a PRIVATE company, on a PUBLICLY owned road.

Typical fake news

https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/the-m50-toll-road/

The M50 Bridge is owned by the State, but don’t let that stop you spreading false propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Work Doherty did on the insurance business?

Are you having a laugh? Maybe you could remind us of his great work.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Typical fake news

https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/the-m50-toll-road/

The M50 Bridge is owned by the State, but don’t let that stop you spreading false propaganda.

Thanks for the link. Yes I was mislead, being that I saw tolls being collected by a private company. I was not aware they were contract by Transport Infrastructure Ireland.

But my point is still valid. Why are people still having to pay for tolls on the M50 when that project and the sub contractors who built it have been fully paid for?
    Another broken promise by the existing and previous governments.
    Worse, why have those tolls be allowed to increase being that the project was fully paid for? It is a public road and should be funded through motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Because they are now unemployed and not contributing to the state exactly the same as your so called 'wasters'?

You see this is the problem with you FG types, that think social welfare, public infrastructure and other government spending is a waste of money.
    Its all a waste of money until YOU PERSONALLY find yourself in need of them. Then suddenly its not good enough, and you feel you are entitled to more than anyone else. You are entitle to nothing more than anyone else based on the rules used to disperse social welfare.

We have a social welfare system that is being abused by a tiny minority, that is not in question. We also have a tax system that is also abused by the very wealthy, that too cant be questioned.
    But for the vast majority reliant on any social welfare payment what they get is just barely enough to provide a basic and very simple living.

If you feel that what is being offered to those who have lost their jobs is not enough then why have people like yourself constantly demanded reductions and freezing of social welfare benefits. Did it never occur to you that one day someone like yourself might find themselves out of work through no fault of their own and unable to find alternative employment?

Surely the intelligent thing to have done all the time and years you were complaining was to realise that for the vast majority what they might receive from social welfare really is not sufficient and allow for it to keep pace with general costs of living. But also instead of complaining in general, you should have complained about the loop holes that are being abused, and instead of refusing increases, demanded instead a cap on what any individual can claim.
    Believe it or not most people who support SF would agree with that approach.
    That way those that really need the help get what they NEED, but those that are milking the system would find it harder to do so with caps in place.

He voted SF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Surely the intelligent thing to have done all the time and years you were complaining was to realise that for the vast majority what they might receive from social welfare really is not sufficient and allow for it to keep pace with general costs of living.

Some of the same types - not necessarily the poster you were responding to - are afraid effective collective negotiating for wage increases in the private sector might hurt productivity. You couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks for the link. Yes I was mislead, being that I saw tolls being collected by a private company. I was not aware they were contract by Transport Infrastructure Ireland.

But my point is still valid. Why are people still having to pay for tolls on the M50 when that project and the sub contractors who built it have been fully paid for?
    Another broken promise by the existing and previous governments.
    Worse, why have those tolls be allowed to increase being that the project was fully paid for? It is a public road and should be funded through motor tax.

Has the M50 been fully paid for?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Work Doherty did on the insurance business?

Are you having a laugh? Maybe you could remind us of his great work.

Well any TD that put a bill before the Dail I would assume would have to put considerable work and research, that would stand up to vigorous scrutiny, into it before hand.

Sinn Féin’s Consumer Insurance Contracts Bill passed through all stages of the Oireachtas in December.
    I would assume for that to have happen the MAJORITY of TD's in the Dail must have supported it.

That includes the TD's of the party that you support.

Well any TD that put a bill before the Dail I would assume would have to put considerable work and research, that would stand up to vigorous scrutiny, into it before hand.

Sinn Féin’s Consumer Insurance Contracts Bill passed through all stages of the Oireachtas in December.
    I would assume for that to have happen the MAJORITY of TD's in the Dail must have supported it.

but but but...that's whinging or something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭J_1980

It won’t lower premiums though.
    Wonder what the EU commissions antitrust findings will be

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/antitrust-commission-opens-investigation-into-Insurance-ireland-data-pooling-system_en

Given that it’s almost a year, I guess nothing. All fully competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭J_1980

Though i also think an post ww2 style marshell plan,will quite possibly be enacted by the ecb,....alot of underlying social issues (housing here etc) across EU need solving or it could lead to parties favouring break up of eu gaining traction

Won’t happen. You cant print houses.
    Any money printing will lead to lower living standards (as it has been happening in last few years). Middle class is bleeding to aliment the spongers. But they vote for it, so no sympathy :)

J_1980 wrote: »
    Won’t happen. You cant print houses.
    Any money printing will lead to lower living standards (as it has been happening in last few years). Middle class is bleeding to aliment the spongers. But they vote for it, so no sympathy :)

Actually you can print houses. Quite quickly and at a fraction of the cost of building one.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Has the M50 been fully paid for?

Yes, and then some

NTR the private company that had a stake in the M50 toll recouped its costs of building the M50 bridge all the way back in 2007/2008.

The bridge cost NTR €58m to build, and they have been making in excess of to €40m a year profit since. Apparently the bridge is now in sole ownership of the state, but the tolls have not gone away.

From 2005 to 2020 it is estimated that the tolls generated €936 million in revenue, of which €616 million, net of taxes, went to NTR

In essence the Irish motorist/taxpayer has spent close to a BILLION euro for a bridge that should have cost less than €60 million to build.

Do you still believe and trust in Public/private projects representing value for money?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/private-firm-to-reap-115bn-bonanza-from-m50-toll-deal-26628381.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/state-bodies-to-get-936m-from-tolls-on-m50-bridge-1.477789

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement