Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think we need to start the fines for those not self isolating now as they are in Italy and Spain . We're doing okay so far number wise but time to kick it up a notch. I'm impressed with Harris on some of his engagement with HSE so far like the mobile test center set up and the hiring drive but I think it's time for us to really start locking the place down with forced compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Runaways wrote: »
    Just to add I’m seeing and hearing SF heads all over the radio and media and not seeing Leo or the two Simon’s anywhere

It’s weird

Haven't heard Leo since last Wednesday to be honest.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

We will have a FG/FF government. I would prefer SF to be included so that they get a dose of reality plus who knows- they might have a few good ideas. But the other two won't touch them.
    However the virus crisis is rewriting politics. Thus I would not rule out a major resurgence of the old guard as a result of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fair enough. But it’s bizarre to me how little people on here are aware of what SFs actually do in their constituencies. They genuinely do work really hard and get sh!t done for people. And they don’t trumpet it like your Healy raes etc.

My thinking is we’ve finally woken up to the definition of insanity as a country. It’s time to try something else. FFFG only see us as taxpayers and bovine burdens simultaneously. They’re completely out of touch with ordinary people. To the last man of them. Whereas SF are the exact opposite in my reading of it

Give me examples please?

Because anyone I know, and it seems to be common on boards. The local SF councillor has done f**king nothing for years. Including in my area, the guy who was voted in and nobody know him, what he has done for area etc. He got on because people voted SF as a f** you to FF/FG.....

So please share this great work? because I dont see it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

smurgen wrote: »

None of us have. Probably rehearsing his next speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

smurgen wrote: »

He is on Twitter but doing the right thing, letting the health profession do their job

This is no time for party points, I believe all parties are helping out

Just to add I’m seeing and hearing SF heads all over the radio and media and not seeing Leo or the two Simon’s anywhere

It’s weird

Oh I am sure you will hear SF all over the place. They are good at that. Helping people and resolving issue, well no good at that.....

Really do you like people shouting to the press??? maybe SF should stand behind the government and help, not go around shooting it mouth off to RTE and cause more distress for people....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It’s weird

Haven't heard a word from SF to be honest, nothing on twitter from my sf TDs.

Fg are doing a lot of work behind the scenes, doing everything to keep the system running. A+ from me. Also believe the other parties are doing alot behind the scenes except for the greens and their rant in the dail

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Give me examples please?

Because anyone I know, and it seems to be common on boards. The local SF councillor has done f**king nothing for years. Including in my area, the guy who was voted in and nobody know him, what he has done for area etc. He got on because people voted SF as a f** you to FF/FG.....

So please share this great work? because I dont see it

I got a threat of a search warrant letter for not having a tv license. I genuinely don’t have a tv but it was scary. Emailed all my local tds and Mary lous office actually rang me took all the details and came back to me after saying it was sorted and not to worry about it. No other tds offices even replied to the email.

My pal and her fella and daughter were in emergency accommodation and o broin got them a deposit for a place and on some advanced housing lust (a cbe I think it’s called)

People on joe Duffy last week saying they have sf members bringing them to hospital for their regular appointments.

That’s just top of my head but you’ll much more of it in places like Tallaght and Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I got a threat of a search warrant letter for not having a tv license. I genuinely don’t have a tv but it was scary. Emailed all my local tds and Mary lous office actually rang me took all the details and came back to me after saying it was sorted and not to worry about it. No other tds offices even replied to the email.

My pal and her fella and daughter were in emergency accommodation and o broin got them a deposit for a place and on some advanced housing lust (a cbe I think it’s called)

People on joe Duffy last week saying they have sf members bringing them to hospital for their regular appointments.

That’s just top of my head but you’ll much more of it in places like Tallaght and Cabra

The rest of the TD probably thought you were taking the piss and had like real life issues to reply to . But to the SF td this is like nice any easy not much work to do here and might get a vote out of it as this is the dumb voters we have ..

• Advertisement

Oh I am sure you will hear SF all over the place. They are good at that. Helping people and resolving issue, well no good at that.....

Really do you like people shouting to the press??? maybe SF should stand behind the government and help, not go around shooting it mouth off to RTE and cause more distress for people....

What distress have they caused??

The government wouldnt have passed the emergency legislation,witbout SF??

Like by all means critise them,but make the critism valid

The rest of the TD probably thought you were taking the piss and had like real life issues to reply to . But to the SF td this is like nice any easy not much work to do here and might get a vote out of it as this is the dumb voters we have ..

It was a letter threatening a search warrant.

Jaysis you guys are so heartless and robotic it’s gas

Dumb voters ...mask slipped there

You have FG refusing to do this you have SF calling for it now. As well as all major economists.

FG will eventually be forced to do this and claim credit. It sucks

Sinn Féin propose Income Support Scheme to bailout workers and families - Pearse Doherty
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/56255

You have FG refusing to do this you have SF calling for it now. As well as all major economists.

FG will eventually be forced to do this and claim credit. It sucks

Sinn Féin propose Income Support Scheme to bailout workers and families - Pearse Doherty
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/56255

Deos it matter who deos it??

Its about making country better for everyone,only childish care which party enacts the progressive legislation

Seriously, all you have to do is show the inspector you have no tv. Job done.

I have holiday home, when the inspector arrived just showed him no tv and off he went.

What distress have they caused??

The government wouldnt have passed the emergency legislation,witbout SF??

Like by all means critise them,but make the critism valid

All I'm saying is why are SF in the news at all, i don't see the other parties running around trying to score points. Older people and others are afraid, not sure what to do. Last thing we need is SF shouting and trying to score points. The election is over, they can throw as much mud as they want after this thing is sorted.....

Would that not be better?

Deos it matter who deos it??

Its about making country better for everyone,only childish care which party enacts the progressive legislation

I agree but our finance minister goes to the banks and gets told pretty much to go away. That’s on FG. The thought is always late in coming to this party and they always always jump out in front of everyone else had the idea and claim it as their own. See marriage equality and repeal as the two biggest examples. Two issues they wouldn’t have touched with a barge pole if it it weren’t for being made to by public opinion.

All I'm saying is why are SF in the news at all, i don't see the other parties running around trying to score points. Older people and others are afraid, not sure what to do. Last thing we need is SF shouting and trying to score points. The election is over, they can throw as much mud as they want after this thing is sorted.....

Would that not be better?

So infact they havent spread distress??(suggesting they are seems like mud-slinging imo)

Like anything ive heard is basic suggestions on what can be enacted as regards income support and drilling message about hand washing and social isolation....didnt see anything wrong with it

They are only party to reach out on tik-tok afaik and try get message across to younger generation as regards not hanging out in groups,personally felt this was wise move and think government should do similar??

I agree but our finance minister goes to the banks and gets told pretty much to go away. That’s on FG. The thought is always late in coming to this party and they always always jump out in front of everyone else had the idea and claim it as their own. See marriage equality and repeal as the two biggest examples. Two issues they wouldn’t have touched with a barge pole if it it weren’t for being made to by public opinion.

Thats just the way the world works though,

he who wields the sword rarely reaps reward.....shinners just need keep up.the good work in showing way forward

(imo your gonna see a wealth tax and pensions raided outta all this,to fund it....wouldnt be suprised to see a cyprus bail-in as banks sink if next recession deep)

Mary lou was just on Newstalk a while ago. There was no mud slinging at all. She did have a load of ideas most notably time to tap that Apple Cash but that’s in the times today too.

• Advertisement

Still waiting for the SF plan here .... waiting... waiting..... what time is it ... it will be over before they come out with their hindsight policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Mary lou was just on Newstalk a while ago. There was no mud slinging at all. She did have a load of ideas most notably time to tap that Apple Cash but that’s in the times today too.

Even if we the government were prepared to grab the cash with regards the Apple money it wouldn't work

Most of the 13 billion that Apple allegedly owes does not belong to Ireland.

That money would have to be distributed to multiple countries, because the 13 billion represents tax not paid where goods were purchased. Apple products were not only sold in Ireland.

Its also held in an escrow account not a government bank account, so it cant be released as simple as saying open sesame.

Despite what Chris Johns might say that money cant be touched without a court order, and even if it could Ireland would only be entitled to a very small fraction of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Might be some of their 200 employees......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That’s not our money. A small percentage of it is. It’s truly amazing how so many people haven’t understood this by now. It’s like it has been used as a political football since the start - the ‘gubbermint have 13 billion and dey want to give it back to da wealthy’ spin.

That’s not our money. A small percentage of it is. It’s truly amazing how so many people haven’t understood this by now. It’s like it has been used as a political football since the start - the ‘gubbermint have 13 billion and dey want to give it back to da wealthy’ spin.

Why its half of SF s policies just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

satguy wrote: »
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

You seem to have odd notions as to whom FG actually represent or stand for . Granted, even if boy farmers wouldn’t have been impressed. Either way, it ain’t for the poor and never was .

Kinda hard for any government to do what they want when ECB are breathing down one’s neck ,expecting their conditions for loans given ,to be complied with . It’s something I am slightly sad to see SF not getting into power because had they done so, their supporters would have turned on them quicker than people turned on Labour in 2011 ,as SF would be forced to continue with most of the policies that FG continued with which were started by FF in 2009

The government went to banks weeks ago, they got
    Suspended mortgage repayment
    Increase of tap to 50 euro
    Posponement of a number of charges
    Support for local business's(this includes loan etc)

How is that getting told to go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seems the shinners are in a bit of a pickle no matter what they do according to some on here.

"Where are the shinners? I've heard nothing from them for weeks, only FG are in the news saying stuff. FG will same us all."

**give an example of how SF are keeping a consistent presence in the media**

"WTF are the shinners doing sticking their oars in, this is no time for them to be making trouble, blahbaty blahbaty blah"

BTW - Leo calling for a govt of unity, that specifically excludes any party in the state, never mind the most popular party, will come back and bite him in his arse when this finally blows over, now isn't the time for this kind of bullsh1t Leo, you've obviously learned the square root of fcuk all from your past mistakes of attacking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

McMurphy wrote: »

BTW - Leo calling for a govt of unity, that specifically excludes any party in the state, never mind the most popular party, will come back and bite him in his arse when this finally blows over, now isn't the time for this kind of bullsh1t Leo, you've obviously learned the square root of fcuk all from your past mistakes of attacking them.

That was pre-CoronaVirus, this is a new paradigm now. There will be no new government for a few months at the very earliest. The Greens showing in the Dail earlier in the week is a reminder that one does not change the crew when the ship is in danger of sinking.

Leo can lead the nation for the next few months and wait it out a bit, let the most of the surge happen on his watch...
    Then he can turn around and tell the nation that he will do the unthinkable because we are now in a new world, post-Covid-19, and go into talks with SF.
    SF will then be snookered as they will have to play along and enter a government with FF and/or FG and be part of an administration that has to pay tens of Billions to clean up the mess for the next few years....

It's so obvious it's masterful.
    SF is right to be scared as now they will be asked to do one for the nation, not themselves.
    Or Leo could go for another election, seeing as he is the most popular politician in the country right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

markodaly wrote: »
    That was pre-CoronaVirus, this is a new paradigm now. There will be no new government for a few months at the very earliest. The Greens showing in the Dail earlier in the week is a reminder that one does not change the crew when the ship is in danger of sinking.

Leo can lead the nation for the next few months and wait it out a bit, let the most of the surge happen on his watch...
    Then he can turn around and tell the nation that he will do the unthinkable because we are now in a new world, post-Covid-19, and go into talks with SF.
    SF will then be snookered as they will have to play along and enter a government with FF and/or FG and be part of an administration that has to pay tens of Billions to clean up the mess for the next few years....

It's so obvious it's masterful.
    SF is right to be scared as now they will be asked to do one for the nation, not themselves.
    Or Leo could go for another election, seeing as he is the most popular politician in the country right now.

I don't think he can "go" for another election unless a government can't be formed.

Easiest thing now is for him and the current government to keep doing what they're doing, then once some level of normality has returned, step back and see who wants to takeover (hint: no one.....FF, SF LAB etc either are incapable of making the type of decisions needed in the next 18 months (SF, Greens, PBP) or unwilling to be party to them (FF, LAB))

Equally, the non-FG parties will not want to face a resurgent Leo, Simon et al coming off the back of their management of the crisis, but may feel it's best to consolidate, hold as much as they can and hope that by the next time sn election is called, FG's performance in managing the pandemic has been dulled in the memory of the electorate and/or drowned out by the usual issues they trade in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement