Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Runaways wrote: »
    DFA last week urged all Irish overseas to return home as soon as possible. And government spending 300k to charter a plane to get Irish trapped under lockdown in Peru home.
    That to me suggests even airports are being closed eventually.
    My OH is meant to be coming home from Cambodia on Friday but now thinking of staying on the tiny island he’s on for another month ‘til it blows over’

Ehhh it’s gonna go on quite a while longer than that. No talking to him.

England coughs and Ireland catches a cold, I’d say you’d see us go into lockdown with the same restrictions quite soon. Once this weeks numbers come in maybe

He'll have to go to lockdown sooner. I think you might see one tomorrow. Totally ridiculous up here on the border...one jurisdiction on lockdown and the other not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

He'll have to go to lockdown sooner. I think you might see one tomorrow. Totally ridiculous up here on the border...one jurisdiction on lockdown and the other not.

were under one anyways.
    I live in lower D7 near the city center and it’s been like Christmas Day quiet every day and night since and normally it’s traffic chaos all around here. Town is deserted too loads of places voluntarily closed. But I do agree he has to make the call and do it officially.

The airports should have been first imo but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Pretty ridiculous I'll agree. Should have been done together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

mattser wrote: »
    Pretty ridiculous I'll agree. Should have been done together.

Should have been locked down days ago. This are bad when Johnson is making you look bad.Here's an official call for it two days ago.

https://twitter.com/IDSIreland/status/1241349271879847936?s=19

smurgen wrote: »
    Should have been locked down days ago. This are bad when Johnson is making you look bad.Here's an official call for it two days ago.

https://twitter.com/IDSIreland/status/1241349271879847936?s=19

Maybe he didn't listen to Boris?
    Confused.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1242189849622392833?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Johnson is making you look bad

He's not though, Johnson was forced in to this by the UKs lack of action prior to this. There's good threads in the Covid 19 section if you want to learn about it.

christy c wrote: »
    He's not though, Johnson was forced in to this by the UKs lack of action prior to this. There's good threads in the Covid 19 section if you want to learn about it.

And FG were forced into action by the Irish public and other parties . They were forced to call off paddies day parades by the public. The public even went so far as to create petitions to have it cancelled.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-st-patricks-parade-coronavirus-21581756

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

christy c wrote: »

No point telling them that, this is just an excuse to complain about the government

And FG were forced into action by the Irish public and other parties . They were forced to call off paddies day parades by the public. The public even went so far as to create petitions to have it cancelled.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-st-patricks-parade-coronavirus-21581756

That’s some waffle....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Changed from Boris making them look bad to random spoof you thought up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That’s some waffle....
    You have a very selective and short memory if you think that's wrong. The petition was diluted because they are ten a penny nowadays, but that post is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That’s some waffle....

These lads think the bollocks they post on boards or Twitter is part of the process. They think they are involved and helping shape events. Thick *****.

We'll go into lockdown when the model says we will, not before. The UK is in sudden lockdown because they made a balls of handling the initial stages.

Ballso wrote: »
    These lads think the bollocks they post on boards or Twitter is part of the process. They think they are involved and helping shape events. Thick *****.

We'll go into lockdown when the model says we will, not before. The UK is in sudden lockdown because they made a balls of handling the initial stages.

March the 6th and Leo was saying there was no need to cancel large gatherings...all around him smaller towns were cancelling parades and there was a public clamour to cancel Dublin.

March 9th with just 3 more cases confirmed...Leo finally cancels parade.

Speaks for itself really. Same as now...the country en masse wants a lockdown..is willing to lock down...but the government dither again.

Seems to be a major problem emerging with testing too. The PR charade is beginning to unravel.

The revision is unreal with you lads. We know the timeline.we know the Finnerbots are playing catch-up the timelines are on the web. By all means put your fingers in your ears bit don't expect us all to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Did it ever occur to your that the UK were better prepared to go into lock down.
    The UK government will cover 80% of the salary of workers who would otherwise be laid off.

These measures are already in place in the UK
    • a Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
    • deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
    • a Statutory Sick Pay relief package for small and medium sized businesses (SMEs)
    • a 12-month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality, leisure and nursery businesses in England
    • small business grant funding of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief
    • grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,001 and £51,000
    • the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme offering loans of up to £5 million for SMEs through the British Business Bank
    • a new lending facility from the Bank of England to help support liquidity among larger firms, helping them bridge coronavirus disruption to their cash flows through loans

Meanwhile back in Ireland, what measures have our government put in place to prevent businesses from going bust?

What hope have Irish workers got that once they stop working they will have a job to go back to?
    What hope have they got of being able to pay their mortgages or rent in full?

FG were very good at the PR, but as usual very lack lustre and well behind the curve when it comes to action.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

March the 6th and Leo was saying there was no need to cancel large gatherings...all around him smaller towns were cancelling parades and there was a public clamour to cancel Dublin.

March 9th with just 3 more cases confirmed...Leo finally cancels parade.

Speaks for itself really. Same as now...the country en masse wants a lockdown..is willing to lock down...but the government dither again.

Seems to be a major problem emerging with testing too. The PR charade is beginning to unravel.

It's not time for lockdown yet according to the HSE, despite the hysterical wailing of shinners on the internet. You sound delighted at the prospect of there being a problem with testing tbh.

It's not time for lockdown yet according to the HSE, despite the hysterical wailing of shinners on the internet. You sound delighted at the prospect of there being a problem with testing tbh.

I mentioned testing because today I spoke with somebody in the HSE here who is setting up the local one due to open tomorrow.

There are not enough kits...they have x amount booked for tests but have only been sent x amount of kits, meaning people who have been waiting on tests will be turned away.

Slightly different story to the glossy PR one.
    I have a family member going for one of those tests...so please get lost with the 'delighted' comment.

You seem to be missing the main point.
    Even the HSE wanted the country go into lock down it cant. Its not a choice that FG can make at the moment, not without this country going into complete and utter economic meltdown.

I sincerely hope Leo has a package of economic measures to announce similar to what other countries have done before he even thinks of announcing a lock down.

FF made a massive blunder that nearly destroyed the country making decisions in a panic during a crisis, without thinking those decisions through. Rightfully they were lambasted and criticised, and lost the trust of a huge number of the electorate.

Are FG about to do something similar, I pray they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Agree with the post above. It all looks like they are dong a great job now, are they ? Everything is shutting down, this is going to be some economic ergo societal damage.

efanton wrote: »
    Did it ever occur to your that the UK were better prepared to go into lock down.
    The UK government will cover 80% of the salary of workers who would otherwise be laid off.

These measures are already in place in the UK
    • a Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
    • deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
    • a Statutory Sick Pay relief package for small and medium sized businesses (SMEs)
    • a 12-month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality, leisure and nursery businesses in England
    • small business grant funding of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief
    • grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,001 and £51,000
    • the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme offering loans of up to £5 million for SMEs through the British Business Bank
    • a new lending facility from the Bank of England to help support liquidity among larger firms, helping them bridge coronavirus disruption to their cash flows through loans

Meanwhile back in Ireland, what measures have our government put in place to prevent businesses from going bust?

What hope have Irish workers got that once they stop working they will have a job to go back to?
    What hope have they got of being able to pay their mortgages or rent in full?

FG were very good at the PR, but as usual very lack lustre and well behind the curve when it comes to action.

Although I do agree with a lot of the measures they have put in place to ensure people can 'bounce back' to their fullest ability, I do wonder how it will be paid for?

It won't be cheap, at all, and those costs will need to be covered.

I really do wish something decent would come along here, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind €203 per week guaranteed, and a stimulus payment of sorts to the general public at the end of the emergency period, to encourage people into shops and services again, after a turbulent time.

• Advertisement

Are FG about to do something similar, I pray they don't?

Are FG due to make an announcement of sorts anytime soon? I mean, is there one scheduled or anything like that? Or are we just kinda rolling along blindly at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It amazes me that people here are praising the UK on an as yet unimplemented policy to cover salary.

Have people forgotten how they have put their own citizens in danger by disregarding all advice. It looks like it won’t cover self employed. Cap at 2.5k a month. Limit of 3 months.

And also not starting til end of April when they can pull out and say have to put money somewhere else. I don’t trust anything the U.K. says on this and very surprised a lot of people here do?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/business/coronavirus-uk-pubs-wages/index.html

To me this looks like a way of appeasing citizens for the way they have handled it so far.

joeguevara wrote: »
    It amazes me that people here are praising the UK on an as yet unimplemented policy to cover salary.

Have people forgotten how they have put their own citizens in danger by disregarding all advice. It looks like it won’t cover self employed. Cap at 2.5k a month. Limit of 3 months.

And also not starting til end of April when they can pull out and say have to put money somewhere else. I don’t trust anything the U.K. says on this and very surprised a lot of people here do?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/business/coronavirus-uk-pubs-wages/index.html

To me this looks like a way of appeasing citizens for the way they have handled it so far.

I'm not praising the UK government at all. They messed up massively at the start.

The point is they and other countries have put in measures so that businesses can close down in reasonable hope that they will survive until the lock down is over and then be able to continue trading.
    If those measures are not put in place before a lock down is announced are you suggesting there will not be an economic meltdown, that many business will simply go out of business or that thousands of jobs could be permanently lost?

Has our government even suggested they will put in measures similar to what the UK or other countries have done to protect jobs and businesses?
    Not true, read that article again. Some of the proposed payment will be paid within a few weeks, the entire program will not be fully operational until April.
    Considering the extent of the program the UK have promised, I'm not surprised it will take a month for all systems to be working and payments to to be made.
    It would be a big undertaking for any government.

Meanwhile FG has done nothing. Are you seriously telling me doing nothing is better than what the UK or other countries are doing?

I'm not praising the UK government at all. They messed up massively at the start.

The point is they and other countries have put in measures so that businesses can close down in reasonable hope that they will survive until the lock down is over and then be able to continue trading.
    If those measures are not put in place before a lock down is announced are you suggesting there will not be an economic meltdown, that many business will simply go out of business or that thousands of jobs could be permanently lost?

Has our government even suggested they will put in measures similar to what the UK or other countries have done to protect jobs and businesses?

Not true, read that article again. Some of the proposed payment will be paid with a few weeks, the entire program will not be fully operational until April.
    Considering the extent of the program the UK have promised, I'm not surprised it will take a month for all systems to be working and payments to to be made.
    It would be a big undertaking for any government.

Meanwhile FG has done nothing. Are you seriously telling me doing nothing is better than what the UK or other countries are doing?

U.K. has not implemented what they have said. Won’t be done until end April according to articles. Don’t believe the lies of other countries as gospel. What has been actually implemented in any county?

id rather our govt focused on keeping people alive in the few short weeks we have to really prepare for this

if nobody starves and we save every at-risk case we can, then you can resume or restart any business or career you like

bit of prioritisation be no harm for some tbh

Although I do agree with a lot of the measures they have put in place to ensure people can 'bounce back' to their fullest ability, I do wonder how it will be paid for?

It won't be cheap, at all, and those costs will need to be covered.

I really do wish something decent would come along here, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind €203 per week guaranteed, and a stimulus payment of sorts to the general public at the end of the emergency period, to encourage people into shops and services again, after a turbulent time.

Totally agree, what the UK has proposed will cost billions.
    But what will the cost be if its not done?

Mass unemployment, and thousands of companies going out of business would mean a massive social welfare bill over the next few years and much reduced tax revenues to pay for all that. Its going to be a massive trade off, pay up front knowing the country will recover quickly, or save a bit of money knowing it will take years to recover. We have gone through years of austerity so we all know what the second option will look like only this time it will be worse.
    Personally I would sooner the government plays it safe and save as many companies and jobs as they possibly can.

The revision is unreal with you lads. We know the timeline.we know the Finnerbots are playing catch-up the timelines are on the web. By all means put your fingers in your ears bit don't expect us all to follow suit.

Person posts, person is not negative towards FG, person get called finnerbot

id rather our govt focused on keeping people alive in the few short weeks we have to really prepare for this

if nobody starves and we save every at-risk case we can, then you can resume or restart any business or career you like

bit of prioritisation be no harm for some tbh

Can we not do both?

Totally with you that lives and peoples health must have top priority, but those people need jobs and need to be able to afford their rents and mortgage payments.

the far side of this will be a serious national effort and might look very very different as a country to how we entered it

i dont think that people will be losing homes out of this, given that thousands kept theirs while not paying for them after the last crash

jobs will be found, we might go from a very high cost, high income economy society down to a more moderate declared level but i also think that there's a mood of real seriousness and togetherness about things at present that hasnt been the case in a long long time.

the likes of airbnb being exposed, the figures on trollies being exposed, thousands stepping forward to support health services, businesses repurposing or donating to support the effort.

it feels like cynicism, which is my natural mode tbh, isnt a worthy response.

have to trust for the best that the right things will be done the far end to get people back on their feet, but right now i have to say no, i dont think you can do both. theres only one game in town until we know whats going to hit us.

• Advertisement

Can we not do both?

Totally with you that lives and peoples health must have top priority, but those people need jobs and need to be able to afford their rents and mortgage payments.

This is true. But basing anything on other countries which have not implemented what has been suggested is ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement