Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

joeguevara wrote: »
    This is true. But basing anything on other countries which have not implemented what has been suggested is ridiculous.

TH UK is not the only country that are doing it. They are the latest country to do it.

Germany is planing to borrow 150 BILLION to protect its businesses and economy
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-europe-germany-unveils-stimulus-italy-tightens-lockdown-as-death-toll-rises.html

France are planning to borrow up to 45 billion
    have allowed companies to defer all tax payments and social security payments, guaranteed business loan and offered to provide loans so that companies will survive
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/france-orders-lockdown-slow-covid-19-spread
    https://www.skadden.com/insights/publications/2020/03/frances-lockdown-and-economic-measures
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/coronavirus/news/after-declaring-war-on-covid-19-france-readies-measures-to-uphold-economy/

Spain has already announced and put in place a 200 billion package
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/coronavirus/news/after-declaring-war-on-covid-19-france-readies-measures-to-uphold-economy/

In fact most countries in the EU are well ahead of Ireland in protecting businesses and jobs.
    There's no way Ireland would survive economically without a similar (but obviously much smaller) package BEFORE we could go into lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭joeguevara

efanton wrote: »
    TH UK is not the only country that are doing it. They are the latest country to do it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-europe-germany-unveils-stimulus-italy-tightens-lockdown-as-death-toll-rises.html

have allowed companies to defer all tax payments and social security payments, guaranteed business loan and offered to provide loans so that companies will survive
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/france-orders-lockdown-slow-covid-19-spread
    https://www.skadden.com/insights/publications/2020/03/frances-lockdown-and-economic-measures

In fact most countries in the EU are well ahead of Ireland in protecting businesses and jobs.
    There's no way Ireland would survive economically without a similar (but obviously much smaller) package BEFORE we could go into lock down.

I see planning in every one of those. Nothing implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

efanton wrote: »

Have we not borrowed enough at this stage? BOI and I would guess all the banks are working with companies on loans so maybe something is in place

Can we stop with the capitals on words to same some special point, I would hope we are adults here.

His lockdown ain’t working either, mate just sent pic of a packed motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Have we not borrowed enough at this stage? BOI and I would guess all the banks are working with companies on loans so maybe something is in place

Record low interest rates, you d be mad not to borrow, to try keep things afloat

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Record low interest rates, you d be mad not to borrow, to try keep things afloat

Who will give it to us? not like we have the best record with money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

So much for lockdown. This is the tube this morning. Another example of foolishness he limited service on main lines and closed others. This just forces this to happen. People having to sardine it on alternative tubes

https://twitter.com/johnwest_jaws/status/1242353557979963393?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Shefwedfan wrote: »

What do you mean? You mean we repaid unsecured bondholders for nothing? Was that all in vain?

smurgen wrote: »
    What do you mean? You mean we repaid unsecured bondholders for nothing? Was that all in vain?

ECB already saying they’ll lend at a negative rate of -.75% so they’ll pay ireland and other counties to borrow. McWilliams saying it’s going to be much worse down the line if we don’t take this money now and helicopter it into ordinary peoples pockets and micro business across the country. Which employ 40% of the Labour force.

Government again not getting out in front of it. But soon to be seen dealing with the damage of not doing it.

Runaways wrote: »
    ECB already saying they’ll lend at a negative rate of -.75% so they’ll pay ireland and other counties to borrow. McWilliams saying it’s going to be much worse down the line if we don’t take this money now and helicopter it into ordinary peoples pockets and micro business across the country. Which employ 40% of the Labour force.

Government again not getting out in front of it. But soon to be seen dealing with the damage of not doing it.

The country is in pretty much lockdown. What do you think we need borrowing for at this time. We will need it to get back on our feet. Not really sure what it would be used for now. Paused rent/mortgage is the only thing that would help now.

• Advertisement

the difference between a post on boards.ie and a mcwilliams article

i. im meant to be impressed by one and not the other

ii. one gets printed in the irish times for some reason- possibly because mommy or doddy knows someboddy

not a single jot else.

The country is in pretty much lockdown. What do you think we need borrowing for at this time. We will need it to get back on our feet. Not really sure what it would be used for now. Paused rent/mortgage is the only thing that would help now.

Do people not eat? Pay utilities? The problem is people's behaviour. If this lifts in a few week the mindset has changed people are thinking recession recession recession which will lead to recession.we need money supply to ensure the velocity of money is maintained when this thing lifts.

the difference between a post on boards.ie and a mcwilliams article

i. im meant to be impressed by one and not the other

ii. one gets printed in the irish times for some reason- possibly because mommy or doddy knows someboddy

not a single jot else.

Are you not aware that McWilliams is the bible!!! what he says has to be right :p

He seems to disagree with everything that is done by anyone/anywhere/anytime. I have yet to see him turn around and say, that was a right decision

Maybe he is right, a broke clock is right twice a day of course. But then you have to use the same logic with everyone else. Ireland has done very well the last few years all while listening to McWilliams saying we are doing it all wrong.

Maybe the government should take the money, I don't know. Has anyone seen the T&C this money is been given out with? maybe its a wolf in sheeop cloathing and its not like we are rolling in it.

What I do know is BOI for one has been asked to go to small business and help them where possible. What that entails I dont know, is it enough, I don't know. How long will this last? I don't know.

So I anyone can tell me any of the above for certain I am sure everyone will listen, but all I see is hundreds of posts complaining with no actual detail. PLus trying to say that bumbling idiot in the UK is a reference is laughable. He has made a complete balls of the whole thing from day 1, his lockdown is a joke as well, underground full, motorway full. Yes we should really follow his example:P

Do people not eat? Pay utilities? The problem is people's behaviour. If this lifts in a few week the mindset has changed people are thinking recession recession recession which will lead to recession.we need money supply to ensure the velocity of money is maintained when this thing lifts.

Utilities agreed.

Won’t lift in a few weeks. People are queuing up for McDonald’s now and buying non essential items.

Are you not aware that McWilliams is the bible!!! what he says has to be right :p

He seems to disagree with everything that is done by anyone/anywhere/anytime. I have yet to see him turn around and say, that was a right decision

Maybe he is right, a broke clock is right twice a day of course. But then you have to use the same logic with everyone else. Ireland has done very well the last few years all while listening to McWilliams saying we are doing it all wrong.

Maybe the government should take the money, I don't know. Has anyone seen the T&C this money is been given out with? maybe its a wolf in sheeop cloathing and its not like we are rolling in it.

What I do know is BOI for one has been asked to go to small business and help them where possible. What that entails I dont know, is it enough, I don't know. How long will this last? I don't know.

So I anyone can tell me any of the above for certain I am sure everyone will listen, but all I see is hundreds of posts complaining with no actual detail. PLus trying to say that bumbling idiot in the UK is a reference is laughable. He has made a complete balls of the whole thing from day 1, his lockdown is a joke as well, underground full, motorway full. Yes we should really follow his example:P

Sounds like a lot of I don't know on your side so sit this one out.

You have no idea what we need, you have no idea what the mindset will be. You are guessing.

IN reality the likes of Woodies and home improvements in booming at the moment. The guys in woodies was laughing the whole of Dublin must be painting the house.

Nobody has seen online shopping numbers yet, from what I can see of friends they are doing a lot of that. Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl etc are all making huge profits and hiring anyone thet can get, again weekjly shop on Sunday morning and the guy at checkout was saying they had people in at 4 to stack the shelfs as too dangerous during the day

If the stay at home is lifted, the feeling of relief could give a huge boost to the economy. People are putting off spending now, thats not saying they wont once the ban is lifted.

Nobody know, I don't. You as sure don't. My points abiove are just a guess like yours, just a different opinion.

So please tell me what you know?? because from all your posts you haven't a clue and when anyone ask something you just call them a finnbot or something,.

SO tell me what you know? plus how you know it?

european financial institutions can easily create this money, as they always do

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

You know **** all either, none of us do. Leave it to the experts in the health service.

We tolerate Sinn Feins braindead populist horse **** because we live in a democracy, but for the love of god shut the **** up until we get through this.

european financial institutions can easily create this money, as they always do

Source for this information?

• Advertisement

There’s a panic taken hold and people aren’t spending and businesses closing.
    If you give people money now it maintains a balance and heads off a recession.
    Is the gist of it.

Loads of big countries are doing the same. Denmark was the example he used

Pro active v reactive as ever in our country though.

Source for this information?

i believe theres a thing called qe or something, im not fully sure! financial institutions create money on their books all the time, banks do this all the time in the form of credit, its well written about now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

We are entering new territory with the economic fallout from this crisis because every country in the EU will be financially ruined, in the short-medium term at least. The EU will have to print money like never before, the lending markets will be a major unknown because of the scale of this. There is already way too much debt in the world which means the financial and economic 'systems' may not be able to cope.

i believe theres a thing called qe or something, im not fully sure! financial institutions create money on their books all the time, banks do this all the time in the form of credit, its well written about now

So you don't know? thats the point I was making. This is all guesswork.

Do you think even if Ireland took 100 euro off Europe they would send over T&C's of about 100 pages for that money they have borrowed?

Are yis not reading the news?

The Brits are doing exactly the same thing supporting business and SMEs and mortgages and renters. The yanks under donald are going to be giving Americans money *completely against their usual rabid capitalist dogma*

If you give low pls money it keeps the economy ticking over. And heads off a worse recession

That’s shouldn’t be hard to get or do

Are yis not reading the news?

The Brits are doing exactly the same thing supporting business and SMEs and mortgages and renters. The yanks under donald are going to be giving Americans money *completely against their usual rabid capitalist dogma*

If you give low pls money it keeps the economy ticking over. And heads off a worse recession

That’s shouldn’t be hard to get or do

I have not seen anything other than promises.

Also self employed aren’t included.

Sinn Fein supporters now aligned with Johnson and Trump, christ.

So you don't know? thats the point I was making. This is all guesswork.

Do you think even if Ireland took 100 euro off Europe they would send over T&C's of about 100 pages for that money they have borrowed?

enjoy, i dont have time for this!

of course they would, thats how the bloody system works!

Ballso wrote: »
    Sinn Fein supporters now aligned with Johnson and Trump, christ.

That’s the dumbest of all takes and there’s been quite a few.

• Advertisement

That’s the dumbest of all takes and there’s been quite a few.

Everyones stupid except Sinn Fein, who by simply opposing whatever stance that gob****e Varadkar takes, are automatically correct on everything in the eyes of their supporters.

I see O'Brion is lying about the apple money again this morning, more populist guff aimed at the poorly informed SF base. People will remember this unhelpful disruption and sniping from the sidelines from the likes of populist SF and Paddy Cosgrave after this is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement