Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on unhygienic colleague!

Options
  • 12-02-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All,

Looking for some advice here as I am at my wits end with a work colleague.

A bit of background/context first: I have been in the business about a year now, and he has been here for 10 years (he has been moved from department to department in that time). His work ethic is poor but I am not his manager so not my place to comment, but I sit beside him and his hygiene/work etiquette is extremely poor.

Just a few things he regularly does at his desk:
    Nose picking
    Sits with shoes off in his socks
    Cuts nails with office scissors
    Opens trousers/shirt to readjust himself

You are probably all wondering why I have not gone to my manager yet, and it is because we are a small team of 4 and I'm worried about how it might pan out of she raises this with him- he will know I complained as the desks are set up in a way that it is only me who sits beside him and can see this happening. I am also conscious that I am relatively new and don't want to seem like I'm giving out/not getting on with people.

I like my job but this is causing me to hate going into work, and it is driving me up the walls every day.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

You might get a few different types of replies here, but the only way to resolve it any way peacefully is to confront it, head on. You don't have to do it in front of people, but if it continues after having a chat with him, then it's fair game.

Say it to him in private first "Sorry, John, but do you mind not doing X as it's pretty disgusting?". If that doesn't embarrass him enough then make jokes about it in front of the others:

Nose picking - jaysus, pick us a winner, John......don't s'pose you have the lotto numbers up there?
    Sits with shoes off in his socks - Smell of feet in here, or is it just me? I'm just gonna open the window for a bit of fresh air.
    Cuts nails with office scissors - hope you're not gonna leave that for the cleaners to pick up?
    Opens trousers/shirt to readjust himself - Didn't know you were a chippendale, John, you'd get a few bob for that show in Amsterdam etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If that doesn't embarrass him enough then make jokes about it in front of the others:

would that not justify a harresment complaint to HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Go to your manager and ask that it be dealt with anonymously. It’s what your manager is paid for.

As a Manager I’ve had this very problem in the past and it’s awful but has to be done. Poor chap was very embarrassed and it was never an issue again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Say it to him in private first "Sorry, John, but do you mind not doing X as it's pretty disgusting?". If that doesn't embarrass him enough then make jokes about it in front of the others.

And when he files a complaint for harassment/mobbing, threatens to take the employer to court over it etc... your advice will be?

Telling people kind of nonsense solves nothing and is only likely to make a bad situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

You might get a few different types of replies here, but the only way to resolve it any way peacefully is to confront it, head on. You don't have to do it in front of people, but if it continues after having a chat with him, then it's fair game.

Say it to him in private first "Sorry, John, but do you mind not doing X as it's pretty disgusting?". If that doesn't embarrass him enough then make jokes about it in front of the others:

Nose picking - jaysus, pick us a winner, John......don't s'pose you have the lotto numbers up there?
    Sits with shoes off in his socks - Smell of feet in here, or is it just me? I'm just gonna open the window for a bit of fresh air.
    Cuts nails with office scissors - hope you're not gonna leave that for the cleaners to pick up?
    Opens trousers/shirt to readjust himself - Didn't know you were a chippendale, John, you'd get a few bob for that show in Amsterdam etc.

Do not do this.

Suck it up and tell your manager. They will deal with it. They're paid to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And when he files a complaint for harassment/mobbing, threatens to take the employer to court over it etc... your advice will be?

Telling people kind of nonsense solves nothing and is only likely to make a bad situation worse.

This is the best advice you'll get.
    Your manager can take him aside and say he/she has noticed the behaviour and its not on in a professional environment. No need to even mention you in the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You have to do this through your manager.

If your manager is smart, she will be able to do it in a way which doesn't embarrass anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Agree with the others about speaking to your manager, it's the only way to deal with these things really, and you are fully entitled to.

Not sure about the sitting in socks thing though, unless it's causing a stink? Lot's of folk in my office will kick their shoes off from time to time!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JudyN

Thanks for all the advice and you're right about the socks. It's not a big deal at all in isolation and I probably wouldn't have even noticed if it wasn't for the other issues!

Advertisement