Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will win the election in a few months time?

Options
  • 12-02-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭

SF said that they want change and do not want FF in government. Despite all the huffing and puffing they will not be able to form one without them so there will have to be an election. So who's going to win the next one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

SF said that they want change and do not want FF in government. Despite all the huffing and puffing they will not be able to form one without them so there will have to be an election. So who's going to win the next one?
    I thought FF said constantly they didn't want to go in with SF? That's what they said in every debate going...I don't think I heard the same from SF?

Sinn Fein will likely win the most seats if they run more candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

SF don’t want to form a government with FF because they’re afraid of their sh1te of being found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought FF said constantly they didn't want to go in with SF? That's what they said in every debate going...I don't think I heard the same from SF?

Sinn Fein will likely win the most seats if they run more candidates.

The thing is had FF or FG left 6 or more seats behind them by not running enough candidates they would be a laughing stock whereas SF are not being criticised over it. If they can't get an election strategy right then how could you trust them to govern " this State " as they call it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

handbags at dawn anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there wouldnt be enough change in numbers even with another election. What would be likely have ? a few more sf seats, still nowhere near enough to prop up a stable alternative government. FG could maybe win a few more seats if they dropped that clown Varadkar...

• Advertisement

First mistake Leo made was calling the election for a Saturday. Second was not being tougher and highlighting the bat**** crazy SF economic manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

i think SF could suffer due to the actions of your man in Waterford if there a quick elections. Few people I know voted for them were horrified and said they thought SF had moved on from that.

i think SF could suffer due to the actions of your man in Waterford if there a quick elections. Few people I know voted for them were horrified and said they thought SF had moved on from that.

I agree. They haven't even gotten power yet and are already gloating about " breaking the free state" and defeating the b******s !

The thing is had FF or FG left 6 or more seats behind them by not running enough candidates they would be a laughing stock whereas SF are not being criticised over it. If they can't get an election strategy right then how could you trust them to govern " this State " as they call it
    SF admitted to running a fairly defensive strategy I think as they put it, there were no indications from the European or locals that they would do well at all (they did pretty poorly here in both) even the polls up until a few weeks before they were fairly far behind.

I agree. They haven't even gotten power yet and are already gloating about " breaking the free state" and defeating the b******s !

• Advertisement

I mean how could you trust them to govern when some of them can't even be trusted to have a few drinks at night without making a disgrace of themselves.

I mean how could you trust them to govern when some of them can't even be trusted to have a few drinks at night without making a disgrace of themselves.
    Errr Maria Bailey?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They have some good talent in the ranks though that would be doing the governing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Who will do the best job of convincing the public that the second election so soon after the first is the fault of (insert party here)?

FG have already started this by coming out and saying it's up to SF to form a government.

A lot of SF supporters are saying bring on another election and we will gain another 7 or 10 seats, that's great but where do they think those seats will come from. If they get all those seats then it will be at the expense of the likes of PBP, solidarity etc who got in on SF surpluses. So SF will be back to square one unable to form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    FF don’t want to form a government with SF because they’re afraid of their sh1te of being found out.

FYP

Only 4 days since the election and Mary Lou has flip flopped already and is making overtures to FF!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

They'll do well, they have social media, especially Twitter, fully wrapped up, they are masters of it to be fair to them.

They'll get 2 seats in a few more constituencies, I'm not sure if the Cullinane episode in Waterford will do them too much damage down here.

But it will be noted by those of a Protestant/Unionist persuasion in NI if any border poll happens over the next 5 years, SF totally shot themselves in the foot with that.

gmisk wrote: »
    SF admitted to running a fairly defensive strategy I think as they put it, there were no indications from the European or locals that they would do well at all (they did pretty poorly here in both) even the polls up until a few weeks before they were fairly far behind.

It was the treatment of the SF by the media that really pushed people to vote for them. When they didn't let Mary Lou into the first Leaders debate after the polls had SF neck and neck with FF and FG. That really played into their narrative that FF, FG and media do not want change and are excluding SF from government.

FF, FG and the media will need to be careful if a new election is called in their attacks and treatment of SF will not drive more people to them and FF and FG try to protect their place in Irish Society.

Lets be honest there is no room for FF and FG. they either need to join together or one of them needs to go.

Floppybits wrote: »
    It was the treatment of the SF by the media that really pushed people to vote for them. When they didn't let Mary Lou into the first Leaders debate after the polls had SF neck and neck with FF and FG. That really played into their narrative that FF, FG and media do not want change and are excluding SF from government. .

But sure when Mary Lou was let into the debatle she made a complete balls of it! If anything FF and FG should be insisting that Mary Lou is included in all future debates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Well it looks like the worst possible outcome for all those that voted for a change in the way this country has been governed for decades now has just become a reality

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/202...nn-fein-talks/
    FF agrees not to enter coalition talks with SF

The only conceivable government possible now is FF/FG/Greens unless of course Michael Martin wants to commit political suicide in grandiose style and force another general election.

But sure when Mary Lou was let into the debatle she made a complete balls of it! If anything FF and FG should be insisting that Mary Lou is included in all future debates.

Exactly. I don't know what they were afraid of or why RTE wouldn't include her? It just didn't make sense and it was p**sing people off more.

On the performance of the Leaders, they were all crap really, none of them stood out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm horrified that people thought they had moved on from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there wouldnt be enough change in numbers even with another election. What would be likely have ? a few more sf seats, still nowhere near enough to prop up a stable alternative government. FG could maybe win a few more seats if they dropped that clown Varadkar...

There we go again - certainly some kind of phobia :confused: And your friend Matt call himself after Leo's partner :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

First mistake Leo made was calling the election for a Saturday. Second was not being tougher and highlighting the bat**** crazy SF economic manifesto.
    Only 4 days since the election and Mary Lou has flip flopped already and is making overtures to FF!

So you set up a thread pretending to ask,"Who do you think will win the next election",but really as above shows you really wanted to rant about SF because your bitter about the election result.

At least have the balls to put up what you really want the thread to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

there really should be a limit on these sf bashing threads, sure the country is doing great under ffg, no homeless, no waiting lists and the stupid people are the ones that want change:)

tipptom wrote: »
    So you set up a thread pretending to ask,"Who do you think will win the next election",but really as above shows you really wanted to rant about SF because your bitter about the election result.

At least have the balls to put up what you really want the thread to be about.

Are you ever going to post something constructive or come to think of it are you capable of posting something constructive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Billcarson

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    there really should be a limit on these sf bashing threads, sure the country is doing great under ffg, no homeless, no waiting lists and the stupid people are the ones that want change:)

Some people don't like change or are afraid of it. It seems many on these threads want to keep with the FF and FG business as usual cycle. They can't accept that FF and FG are losing the power they had over this country and times are changing.
    At the same time I can understand why some fear sinn fein with the past they have had etc and the fact they have never been in power before and that their plans might seem like pie in the sky .But I take the side that wants change all the same. Whether sinn fein can do a good job if they get into power remains to be seen. But I dont see why they should not be given a chance. Its time to move away from the 2 party system this country has had for decades. So let people on here bash sinn fein all they like they cant stop change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I don't have a problem with someone starting up their SF bashing thread but at least be man enough to set it up as that, instead of pretending its something else.

Something similar with a lot of these same posters calling SF voters scum,unintelligent,unemployed,scroungers etc.
    They are extremely brave with their hate rhetoric behind their computers,meet them out in the real world outside their computers and they wouldn't open their mouth.

• Advertisement

there really should be a limit on these sf bashing threads:)

4 days since the election and SF supporters already want to bring in censorship!

Advertisement