Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident with work car

Options
  • 12-02-2020 5:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 24

I was involved in an incident in my work car and I am sceptical as to who is at fault.

I was driving my work car, a 201 Insignia, to Belfast to collect something and on the way back to kill time I decided to pull into Slieve Gullion. I parked the car in the car park and went for a walk around. It was 4:30 when I arrived and the gates closed at 5. However I didn’t notice the sign about this when I came in.

I came back to the car at about 5:20 and to my anger I saw the gates were closed. I went to the car and saw a note under the wiper which had been left by the park warden. It said ‘Gates closed, exit on Forest Drive’. So I drove down Forest Drive only to find the gates were shut there as well. I roared “How the **** do you get out of this place” and reversed to car up the back up the hill. I reversed too fast on a bend end the rear of the car ended up hitting a tree, at which point after shouting a few profanities I got out to check the damage. The rear bumper was badly dented and bearing in mind this was a brand new 201 car I was concerned about the reaction of my manager.

I managed to get back up the hill and back to the car park. I saw a sign saying Mullaghbawn and decided that would be the best way to go. I drove up the path where I was walking earlier and had to go about 2km/h the whole way. When I managed to get to the very top there were some great views of Newry but the road became very dark and with the fog my lights weren’t much help. After driving for about five minutes I reached the exit stretch. However when I got to the exit itself to my horror it was also shut. After this I basically lost it in the car and some of the interiors were scratched as a result. I tried to dial the PSNI but there was no signal so after I managed to calm myself down I got out and walked to the Spar in Mullaghbawn were the the PSNI were called for me. I had to wait for almost an hour until the park warden came back to open the gates.

After I was free I drove back to Dublin and observed that there was some bad damage to the rear bumper and also the side of the car as I had scratched it on a hedge fence coming down the road in Slieve Gullion.

Basically I want to know who is at fault here. The warden should NOT have left his office until all the cars had gone, I hold him responsible as he should’ve stayed to let me out. I will tell my manager that this is his fault as I believe it is.

Can the warden be held partly responsible for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nenemcgurt wrote: »
    Not even a tiny little bit.

You crashed your car into a tree and then damaged the interior when you had a tantrum.

The park warden didn't cause you to do either of these things.

People routinely park their vehicles in public car parks overnight. It unreasonable to expect the warden to wait for people to come get their cars, especially when there's plenty of warning that the gates will close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Not a hope in the world is the warden responsible. There was a sign saying that the gates closed at 5 and you didn’t see it, what if you didn’t come back until 11, would you expect him to wait for you? Besides this, you crashed the car not the warden!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No. It's your fault. If the signage said 5 and you didnt see it, how is that somebody else's fault?
    Quite often car parks are closed with cars left in after the time. That's what the times are there for - to let people know when the gates close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

haha you are at fault ya mad man .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I wouldn't even try to blame anyone. Firstly it's not their fault in the slightest and secondly it will just make you look silly and undermine your credibility.

Just hold your hand and say sorry I had to reverse back to let a car past and tipped the bumper.

Next time don't panic. There was an exit and you were advised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

You're clutching at straws here. You've nobody to blame but yourself for your temper tantrums that caused the exterior and interior damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

This has to be a wind up.
    You crashed the car, the warden didn't make you reverse into a tree or a hedge or act like a toddler smashing up the inside of the car.

This is one of those situations where you have to wear your big boy pants and own up to your mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

So you took a little detour to kill time, got locked in a car park after hours, reversed into a tree, scratched off a hedge and threw a fit, damaging the inside of the car?

Definitely the wardens fault!!! *

*It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

The trees and bushes were stationary when you hit them, so 100% your fault.

You probably need to work on your anger management as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭passatman86

Couldn't stop picturing Homer Simpson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

"Can the warden be held partly responsible for this?"

Only if ye let him in to drive the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

I was involved in an incident in my work car and I am sceptical as to who is at fault.

I was driving my work car, a 201 Insignia, to Belfast to collect something and on the way back to kill time I decided to pull into Slieve Gullion. I parked the car in the car park and went for a walk around. It was 4:30 when I arrived and the gates closed at 5. However I didn’t notice the sign about this when I came in.

I came back to the car at about 5:20 and to my anger I saw the gates were closed. I went to the car and saw a note under the wiper which had been left by the park warden. It said ‘Gates closed, exit on Forest Drive’. So I drove down Forest Drive only to find the gates were shut there as well. I roared “How the **** do you get out of this place” and reversed to car up the back up the hill. I reversed too fast on a bend end the rear of the car ended up hitting a tree, at which point after shouting a few profanities I got out to check the damage. The rear bumper was badly dented and bearing in mind this was a brand new 201 car I was concerned about the reaction of my manager.

I managed to get back up the hill and back to the car park. I saw a sign saying Mullaghbawn and decided that would be the best way to go. I drove up the path where I was walking earlier and had to go about 2km/h the whole way. When I managed to get to the very top there were some great views of Newry but the road became very dark and with the fog my lights weren’t much help. After driving for about five minutes I reached the exit stretch. However when I got to the exit itself to my horror it was also shut. After this I basically lost it in the car and some of the interiors were scratched as a result. I tried to dial the PSNI but there was no signal so after I managed to calm myself down I got out and walked to the Spar in Mullaghbawn were the the PSNI were called for me. I had to wait for almost an hour until the park warden came back to open the gates.

After I was free I drove back to Dublin and observed that there was some bad damage to the rear bumper and also the side of the car as I had scratched it on a hedge fence coming down the road in Slieve Gullion.

Basically I want to know who is at fault here. The warden should NOT have left his office until all the cars had gone, I hold him responsible as he should’ve stayed to let me out. I will tell my manager that this is his fault as I believe it is.

If I was your manager the next thing you would be driving is a bike.And you need anger managment sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Great story for a first post ...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Surely this is a complete wind up.

Great troll attempt OP

• Site Banned Posts: 24 nenemcgurt

jim salter wrote: »

Great troll attempt OP

It isn’t a wind up, I was just very angry that your man didn’t stay to keep he gates open. If he had stayed out of courtesy I wouldn’t have damaged the car.

Not only that, but he MISLEAD me. He left a note saying the Forest Drive was open but it was closed. Why would he do that?

Slieve Gullion, one of the North’s most busy natural parks and I was locked in there for over an hour.

I was at fault for crashing I agree, but I wouldn’t have gotten into this mess in the first place if it wasn’t for the warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,579 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It isn’t a wind up, I was just very angry that your man didn’t stay to keep he gates open. If he had stayed out of courtesy I wouldn’t have damaged the car.

Not only that, but he MISLEAD me. He left a note saying the Forest Drive was open but it was closed. Why would he do that?

Slieve Gullion, one of the North’s most busy natural parks and I was locked in there for over an hour.

I was at fault for crashing I agree, but I wouldn’t have gotten into this mess in the first place if it wasn’t for the warden.

How long should he have waited? Another 20 minutes? An hour? 4 hours? How was he to know what time you would be back?

Be an adult and take responsibility for your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you had have read the signs youd have known it closes at 5. No courtesy needed. You damaged the car. Out of anger. Tough luck

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

jim salter wrote: »

Great troll attempt OP

If it is, its epic and deserves a prize.

@ OP You could hold him responsible for his own actions, but not your actions or reactions.

I'd would just come clean to the boss as its a bad show of character not to take responsibility and your boss will likely think that way too. He might even be touched or impressed if you fully accept what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The good news is that you are not at fault as this is a complete wind-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m going to be honest here based on how you handled this situation it’s really scary that someone let’s you out in a work vehicle.

You were completely at fault here, it’s common proactive to lock the gates at the specified time and vehicles inside Have to make arrangements to be released.

You need to go back to work and explain the situation to your manager, try donit better than above as you come across as someone not suitable to be trusted. Offer to pay for the damage to be repaired, probably have it stopped out of your wages or something like that.

Massive tough lesson in this for you. Things go wrong, don’t panic when they do.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 24 nenemcgurt

Whatever about the sign, I didn’t see it and that happens.

But he lied, he left a note on the wipers telling me there was an exit open and it was locked shut. I had to walking across half of south Armagh to find someone who could call the PSNI.

I asked the PSNI could they cut the lock with a bolt cutter and they said no they would have to contact the warden who lived in Newry. 15 minutes drive away and he took an hour to get there!

I was angry at the whole thing because I have a life. I have a family, I have things to do, people to meet, and I was stuck in a forest park for 90 minutes.

I had to meet someone in Dublin on Monday evening and I missed it. That is one of many reasons for my anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I was at fault for crashing I agree, but I wouldn’t have gotten into this mess in the first place if it wasn’t for the warden I didn't take a detour and try to waste some time on my employers dime.

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

maybe change title to "arguement with work car"

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

One thing you're most definitely 100 percent responsible for is the best OP I've read on boards for years.

You are lucky to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

This is fantastic :D:D

Thanks OP, beats the politickin threads anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You drive a car for work so I assume you are at least 17. Anyway, it's your own fault, accept responsibility and I suspect if you tell the story to your boss in the way you told it here you'll be looking for a new job.

Whatever about crashing into the tree but to damage the interior in a tantrum is plain ridiculous.

I was angry at the whole thing because I have a life

So does the warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I was angry at the whole thing because I have a life. I have a family, I have things to do, people to meet, and I was stuck in a forest park for 90 minutes.

So does the warden and im sure he wouldnt be paid any overtime. He could have said no an left you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

“ I reversed too fast on a bend end the rear of the car ended up hitting a tree”

...Its your fault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement