Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangs of London - Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just watched Episode One tonight. Wow. Thought it was brilliant. The aforementioned fight scenes were amazing television as well choreographed as any film. Tarantino would be delighted with all the excess blood :D

Looking forward to follow this through to the end, but I won't binge watch as I want a consistent schedule to get me through the lockdown. Netflix is for the bulk viewing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Old fashioned top dog gangster storyline, Guy Ritchie without the one liners. Grim, tense, bit comic book at times.

Its clear enough where the money has gone, but honestly the cinematic fight sequences take away from it for me. Too many ordinary gang grunts trained to the level of Seal Team 6 to be plausible. Have to hand it to them though for their creative ways of endling life. Lale's husband was a new one on me!

I've done 4, would I recommend it? Yes, but only after you've watched Ozark, Succession, the Outsider and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Anyone else having issues downloading future episodes? Sometimes my download fails and has to restart and says “subscription needed”. What subscription would I need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lemlin wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues downloading future episodes? Sometimes my download fails and has to restart and says “subscription needed”. What subscription would I need?

Had an issue with 1st episode and had to download it about 3 times. No special subscription needed, just an annoying Sky bug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Old fashioned top dog gangster storyline, Guy Ritchie without the one liners. Grim, tense, bit comic book at times.

Its clear enough where the money has gone, but honestly the cinematic fight sequences take away from it for me. Too many ordinary gang grunts trained to the level of Seal Team 6 to be plausible. Have to hand it to them though for their creative ways of endling life. Lale's husband was a new one on me!

I've done 4, would I recommend it? Yes, but only after you've watched Ozark, Succession, the Outsider and a few others.

those critiques are why evans fans tune in ( like myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Seen the first 3; great show so far. Looking forward to episode 5, expecting a corker, and bit of an anti-climax for 6-9; good to know. As well as the fantastic fight scenes, I love the internationalism, with the snippets of backstory; just enough insight to add narrative weight and tension, while keeping it trim.

As for the 'Gareth Evans fight scenes', a line from Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is appropriate: "I don't care what universe you're from; that's gotta hurt". Gratuitous violence is perfectly fine, when it's done to a high standard.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would take a wild guess this will be renewed.

However Sky have now halted all production on there original dramas till Spring 2021 so it will be a long time before season 2 hits the screens if it is renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Watched 5 tonight. Mental.

Just plain daft by the end - story, writing and acting ranged from fairly to very shoddy.

notable only for the violence by the end.

couple of good episodes but the overall after-taste was... not great.

like what was that really stupid scene at the end with the
    Floriana one randomly coming up to the presumably dead Marian at the park bench. and those cliche "investors" in the limo ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Watched 3 episodes so far. Loving the fight scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

How come sky have not delivered a proper series yet.
    The have **** loads of money behind them.
    The writing always seems off and the cinematography tends to be in the amazing side

Fortitude- looked amazing but was ****
    Tim Roth is Alaska- looked amazing but was ****
    Gangs of London - looks amazing but poor enough characters dialogue

Chernobyl was a co production with HBO so Sky can’t claim that one.

Also the churned our some absolute bollocks on sky movies.
    The one in Upton Park, some twister 🌪 type movie, anon woeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

lertsnim wrote: »
    Watched 3 episodes so far. Loving the fight scenes.

That one with the gypsy butcher and the cleaver! The end where he falls on the blade is unreal.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    How come sky have not delivered a proper series yet.
    The have **** loads of money behind them.
    The writing always seems off and the cinematography tends to be in the amazing side

Fortitude- looked amazing but was ****
    Tim Roth is Alaska- looked amazing but was ****
    Gangs of London - looks amazing but poor enough characters dialogue

Chernobyl was a co production with HBO so Sky can’t claim that one.

Also the churned our some absolute bollocks on sky movies.
    The one in Upton Park, some twister 🌪 type movie, anon woeful

Agreed. The best one is probably Save Me but it's the type of show BBC would do regularly and would be middle of the road compared to their best offerings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Just finished the season, fight/combat scenes we're fantastic throughout, story was a bit out there(along with Joe Cole's accent at some points) but i really liked it over all.
    Shock factor wasn't as high as something like Gomorrah or Blinded by the lights but very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Coming to the end of ep 8. Enjoyable enough but tbh I'm browsing boards and twitter while I'm watching too .

Youd nearly get the impression from watching that london is populated exclusively by gangs and criminals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

It would be the worst business move ever , locking down the sale of heroin

If it were even possible

Hintel wrote: »
    It would be the worst business move ever , locking down the sale of heroin

If it were even possible

that's the least of this show's problems.

Joe Cole was more wooden than a totem pole for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Coming to the end of ep 8. Enjoyable enough but tbh I'm browsing boards and twitter while I'm watching too .

Youd nearly get the impression from watching that london is populated exclusively by gangs and criminals :)

Ditto. I know you're supposed to suspend belief watching these things but that shootout in Wales in the country house and on the pier, how many bullets does it take to kill one man? Turned it off at ep. 8, only thing interesting was the relationship between the Albanian and the Nigerian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

glasso wrote: »
    that's the least of this show's problems.

absolutely loved the show but joe cole was weak

There's films and shows about wanna-be gangsters. Joe Cole is a wanna-be Tom Hardy, except all that comes across is dodgy accents and a look of constipation. (maybe successful then, depending in your viewpoint of Tom Hardy :pac:)

• Advertisement

There's films and shows about wanna-be gangsters. Joe Cole is a wanna-be Tom Hardy, except all that comes across is dodgy accents and a look of constipation. (maybe successful then, depending in your viewpoint of Tom Hardy :pac:)

Tom hardy is a wanna be something

He's no better

He's no better

Tom Hardy is a proper actor.

he was able to carry a whole film just driving a car on a rainy night. I would like to see Joe Cole try that. Actually no I wouldn't!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692904/

Tom Hardy is a proper actor.

he was able to carry a whole film just driving a car on a rainy night. I would like to see Joe Cole try that. Actually no I wouldn't!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692904/
    I was half.joking

I was half.joking

pretty hard to detect sarcasm in that post tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Best thing I’ve seen Joe Cole do was the episode of black mirror he did. It was a great episode, one of the few happy episodes. He played the likeable romantic good guy very well.

He's no better
    Whatever about acting chops, Hardy has pulled off the air of deadly menace like few others, whether he has bulked up or not. Joe Cole doesn't just pale in comparison to him in this type of role, I think he's miscast here. He may have gotten away with it in Peaky Blinders, but this is a completely different beast. The air of menace required here just doesn't come through with Cole- for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm a few episodes in and it's very entertaining but the first episode starts to set it up as a gritty, bleak crime drama, only for it to become hilariously OTT, braindead entertainment by the end of the first 90 minutes.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like it could've been truly great if it weren't so ridiculously far fetched and was a little bit more grounded. Not necessarily action wise, but plot wise. As it is, it's very watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would've preferred if it stayed a gangland drama rather than going into conspiracy territory with "the Investors".

I'm no gangland criminal but I'm pretty sure if I was during a gang war, I would be paranoid enough to notice someone following me with a big camera. Always seems to be the case in these kinds of shows.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I would've preferred if it stayed a gangland drama rather than going into conspiracy territory with "the Investors".

I'm no gangland criminal but I'm pretty sure if I was during a gang war, I would be paranoid enough to notice someone following me with a big camera. Always seems to be the case in these kinds of shows.

and their mind-control limo!

must have been trying to appeal to the illuminati tinfoil hat crowd with this concept of nameless all-powerful group but I thought that it didn't really work at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah the investors was a terrible part of the show. Reminded me of Prison Break type nonsense

Advertisement