Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangs of London - Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since it is Gareth Evans, I'll accept the Investors if it results in an attack on their offices in a way similar to The Raid/Dredd/Hard Boiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

edited my comment: show jumped between timelines and I didn't realise, so actually wasn't a valid point to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

At end of episode one,
    why did the driver get knocked off? Did he suggest that he knew the black lad is having an affair or something? Didn't quite hear it.

At end of episode one,
    why did the driver get knocked off? Did he suggest that he knew the black lad is having an affair or something? Didn't quite hear it.

the guy who he was driving for was. Dumani Snr killed him to keep that under wraps.

So just finished this. I enjoyed it a lot, it's very entertaining and there's plenty twists and turns and characters to root for, but it's as daft as a brush and almost more like fantasy than "gangland" once the plot really gets going.

There are some terrific action scenes - though bizarrely they sort of fizzled out around Ep5 or Ep6 when everything slows down immensely, it peaks about mid-season and never recovers even close to the energy of earlier episodes, which was disappointing.

The acting and characters were really what made it work - the guy playing Eliott was great but I do think Joe Cole was terribly miscast, they needed a lot more convincing menance and volatility for that role, Joe Cole just didn't cut it for me, he was OK but just not right for it. Someone mentioned Tom Hardy, I'm not a big fan but he would've been 10 times better.

All in all it was a good watch but really silly and beyond far-fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Watched the second eposide last night, thought it was better than the first one with more action.

The gun fight at the tinker camp was intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was trying to figure out, was that ending of episode 4
    a single take/shot. The only part that makes me think it wasn't was when the kid changed from Elliot's son to Danny, but that change was covered so possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Bowlardo wrote: »
    How come sky have not delivered a proper series yet.
    The have **** loads of money behind them.
    The writing always seems off and the cinematography tends to be in the amazing side

Fortitude- looked amazing but was ****
    Tim Roth is Alaska- looked amazing but was ****
    Gangs of London - looks amazing but poor enough characters dialogue

Chernobyl was a co production with HBO so Sky can’t claim that one.

Also the churned our some absolute bollocks on sky movies.
    The one in Upton Park, some twister 🌪 type movie, anon woeful

Save me was excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't understand Sean's accent. He has this very posh accent that is totally out of place with the rest of his family

Its very jarring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

glasso wrote: »
    Just plain daft by the end - story, writing and acting ranged from fairly to very shoddy.

notable only for the violence by the end.

couple of good episodes but the overall after-taste was... not great.

like what was that really stupid scene at the end with the
    Floriana one randomly coming up to the presumably dead Marian at the park bench. and those cliche "investors" in the limo ffs

I agree with this.
    Some dodgy acting, a pretty poor story and probably only notable for the violence.

Have to admit there were some great scenes and episode 5 was very enjoyable.

Eastenders with violence basically!
    I wouldn't be looking forward to a second season.

It doesn't help that i've started watching the Sopranos again at the same time. It's in a different league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I was about to give up on this but then it came back swinging with Episode 5; that was top notch action TV by any standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    I was about to give up on this but then it came back swinging with Episode 5; that was top notch action TV by any standards.

Goes down hill from there I'm sorry to say

Unearthly wrote: »
    Goes down hill from there I'm sorry to say

Yeah it really does. It's still watchable but it becomes completely ridiculous from that point on, and there's no more memorable action scenes of that caliber either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah it really does. It's still watchable but it becomes completely ridiculous from that point on, and there's no more memorable action scenes of that caliber either.

There was one moment in like ep6 or ep7 where I thought here we go again but they just skipped most of it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,820 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are the travellers Welsh ???

Dont sound Irish at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are the travellers Welsh ???

Dont sound Irish at all
    Yes, a Welsh traveller gang...

I have to say this is one of the worst shows I ever watched. The level of violence is completely unrealistic. The storyline is not very convincing and the the main character (Sean) is awful. It’s disappointing because such a show has so much potential but this delivered absolutely nothing. I stopped watching when 8 or so people dressed as hill walkers started shooting up a safe house with machine guns. How did it even get commissioned!?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

What was the ending all about in the graveyard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

armaghlad wrote: »

I have to say this is one of the worst shows I ever watched. The level of violence is completely unrealistic. The storyline is not very convincing and the the main character (Sean) is awful. It’s disappointing because such a show has so much potential but this delivered absolutely nothing. I stopped watching when 8 or so people dressed as hill walkers started shooting up a safe house with machine guns. How did it even get commissioned!?

if there's one thing a gareth evans production is never going to be it's realistic, that's why he is where he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

if there's one thing a gareth evans production is never going to be it's realistic, that's why he is where he is.

Exactly with that in mind, I watched up to 5, but apparently it goes off the rails plot-wise after this- as in plain silly, rather than unrealistic. Is it worth finishing, or is it just best to leave as is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

armaghlad wrote: »

Joe Cole added nothing to the show, the safe house scene was terrible, taking ten bullets to knock any of the main characters made it seem almost cartoon like, I stopped watching after five for a week or so but have decided to finish it out just to say I have seen it, interest is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Exactly with that in mind, I watched up to 5, but apparently it goes off the rails plot-wise after this- as in plain silly, rather than unrealistic. Is it worth finishing, or is it just best to leave as is?

If you’re enjoying it keep watching if not then stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Well fair play to him but that was shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

best show on TV at the moment. Excellent action scenes and pure violence - lush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I don't think it's worth finishing. It's a sh1t plot really and the end is totally unsatisfying. But we all have different opinions so you might as well watch if you have the time, you might enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

its rubbish starts ok but from the 5 on its awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I don't think it's worth finishing. It's a sh1t plot really and the end is totally unsatisfying. But we all have different opinions so you might as well watch if you have the time, you might enjoy it.

just watched the last one, not worth finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Thanks guys. I'll not bother finishing it.

p.s as for Joe Cole, even though I thought he was rubbish in this and Peaky Blinders, he's actually quite good in a Netflix series called Pure (with Irish actor Niamh Algar) (from episode 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Old fashioned top dog gangster storyline, Guy Ritchie without the one liners. Grim, tense, bit comic book at times.

Its clear enough where the money has gone, but honestly the cinematic fight sequences take away from it for me. Too many ordinary gang grunts trained to the level of Seal Team 6 to be plausible. Have to hand it to them though for their creative ways of endling life. Lale's husband was a new one on me!

I've done 4, would I recommend it? Yes, but only after you've watched Ozark, Succession, the Outsider and a few others.

Loved Ozark and binged watched to series 3 but felt like it was beginning to go round in a loop then with Martys wife starting it all of again.

Loved Laura LInney,"Your father launders money for the Cartel,I sh*t you not".

Zak Flaps wrote: »

I think it's a trainwreck from Episode 6 onwards but it's still worth finishing. You've stayed that long, you know the characters, and the actors do a good enough job that you want to see where it takes them.

Entertaining doesn't equate to it being good, but it's definitely watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

siblers wrote: »
    I don't understand Sean's accent. He has this very posh accent that is totally out of place with the rest of his family

Its very jarring

You could understand it being different from his parents, but he talks like an Eton graduate and his brother like a market stall worker in EastEnders. I had high hopes for this after the first episode or two, but it lost its way badly. It wouldnt have been a much more interesting show if it stayed within the gangs around the table at the start.

Advertisement