Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangs of London - Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

There's also a pointless sex scene that just comes out of nowhere. It's all pretty stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

BSK wrote: »
    What was the ending all about in the graveyard?

She's not dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Vestiapx wrote: »
    She's not dead

So shes gonna come back with the RA army of farmers with their sawn off shotguns, who proved so effective last time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agree with most that the quality dropped off hugely after EP 5.

Is he going to Steven Segal it now in season 2??

I liked Evans work on the raid movies, but the storylines were simpler across 90 mins.

In this there was simply way too many story arcs and characters and it got muddled quite quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

She's not dead

She’s a vampire, one of the ones that isn’t effected by the sun. 2nd season will see the vampire gang team up with the welsh travellers and Irish freedom fighters to take on the 2 suits sitting in the back of the limo. If anyone tries to throw a vampire off a tower block the vampire will just convert to its bat format and fly away to Transylvania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    There's also a pointless sex scene that just comes out of nowhere. It's all pretty stupid.

sex scenes are never pointless and should be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

She's not dead
    so was it a bullet proof vest or a blank bullet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,820 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The violence was over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Episodes 6,7 and 8 are pretty awful

Pity it went down the route of the investors as it was a pretty rubbish storyline . Very little action either in those 3 episodes which is disappointing

who tf was the giant bastard in the last episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

glasso wrote: »
    who tf was the giant bastard in the last episode?

He was part of the interrogation team, the enforcer really

He was part of the interrogation team, the enforcer really

yes, did get that. was more a "who is that giant bastard human" type query? must be over 7th feet tall, wide as 2 Dawn Frenchs and built like a brick sh1thouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems his name is Olivier Richters and is just under 7'2" apparently
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3689528/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Finished it last night, like a few others are saying it goes a bit downhill after Episode 5. There are a few good moments in eps 6-9, the Nigerians and 1 or 2 other conclusions (Asif vs Lale). Its strengths are when its mixing the storyline progression with bonkers action. Actually, now that I think about there's very little plot progress in Episode 5 and its the best episode.

It really lost my enthusiasm in the last episode or two when it introduced The Investors. So we're going to have a shadowy, conspiracy group and pull deus ex machina from here on out, really disappointing. Especially the narrative fakeout of having people hop in their car, then excluding the viewer from the conversation. Mystery for the sake of mystery. I will give Season 2 a try whenever it arrives, but if it leans into the conspiracy stuff too much then I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

Watched the first episode of this last night and thought it was awful. There seemed to be nothing except one unrealistic fight scene after another. The dialogue is dull as dishwater. I honestly felt nothing for any of the characters and empty after watching this. There is no humour whatsoever in the script.

I recently watched our own LoveHate again and it is in a different stratosphere to this turgid offering.

I'm glad I read the reviews, as episode 1 appears to be one of the best of this seems, so the rest must be utter gash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Watched the first episode of this last night and thought it was awful. There seemed to be nothing except one unrealistic fight scene after another. The dialogue is dull as dishwater. I honestly felt nothing for any of the characters and empty after watching this. There is no humour whatsoever in the script.

I recently watched our own LoveHate again and it is in a different stratosphere to this turgid offering.

I'm glad I read the reviews, as episode 1 appears to be one of the best of this seems, so the rest must be utter gash.

Love/Hate is fantastic alright. From the start you are invested in the characters and their personalities and personal lives. The season with the dentist wasn’t great, mostly because of the Garda surveillance parts.
    Am watching Gomorra now and it’s even far better than Love/Hate. It even better than sopranos or the wire. I think it’s the best gangster series I’ve seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Am watching Gomorra now and it’s even far better than Love/Hate. It even better than sopranos or the wire. I think it’s the best gangster series I’ve seen.

Yes great show. One of my favourites to

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

Love/Hate is fantastic alright. From the start you are invested in the characters and their personalities and personal lives. The season with the dentist wasn’t great, mostly because of the Garda surveillance parts.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Personally I would have Love/Hate right up there beside The Sopranos and The Wire. Maybe cause I can relate to the Irish characters.

I've watched all these series more than once and the second viewing was nearly better than the first.

All of them developed intriguing anti hero characters. LoveHate Sopranos had a cracking musical score too and dead pan humour in spades.

This gangs of London has violence and dull as dish water characters/dialogue.

At the end of episode one, I couldnt have cared less about any of the characters. It seems like a chore to even consider watching another episode. For me it's a complete turkey, although the promo ads for it looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Also, in the last episode, we saw the Police SWAT team going around randomly killing innocent by standers while going after Elliot and the interrogation scene made out it like they weren't police but some evil organisation. It was very badly done and made no sense

Thanks for the recommendations.

Personally I would have Love/Hate right up there beside The Sopranos and The Wire. Maybe cause I can relate to the Irish characters.

I've watched all these series more than once and the second viewing was nearly better than the first.

All of them developed intriguing anti hero characters. LoveHate Sopranos had a cracking musical score too and dead pan humour in spades.

This gangs of London has violence and dull as dish water characters/dialogue.

At the end of episode one, I couldnt have cared less about any of the characters. It seems like a chore to even consider watching another episode. For me it's a complete turkey, although the promo ads for it looked good.

I actually think it's important to have some humour in these type of shows. Makes them a little more realistic. I don't think Gangs of London had one funny line. These characters were so dull, it was impossible to like any of them.

• Advertisement

Whatever about acting chops, Hardy has pulled off the air of deadly menace like few others, whether he has bulked up or not. Joe Cole doesn't just pale in comparison to him in this type of role, I think he's miscast here. He may have gotten away with it in Peaky Blinders, but this is a completely different beast. The air of menace required here just doesn't come through with Cole- for me anyway.

I'm not sure if there is supposed to be an air of menace with Cole's character. He doesn't seem cut out for the job, there's a fragility to him which can make him unstable and prone to acting out. He doesn't have a cool head and I think this comes across quite well.

I just finished the series and loved it. Yes it was daft more times than not but great entertainment all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm not sure if there is supposed to be an air of menace with Cole's character. He doesn't seem cut out for the job, there's a fragility to him which can make him unstable and prone to acting out. He doesn't have a cool head and I think this comes across quite well.

I just finished the series and loved it. Yes it was daft more times than not but great entertainment all the same.

i'd agree with this, he essentially brought down the organisation, he was weak and emotional, what would be the point of having a tough guy play that role.

(his acting was questionable though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I actually think it's important to have some humour in these type of shows. Makes them a little more realistic. I don't think Gangs of London had one funny line. These characters were so dull, it was impossible to like any of them.

if you're a fan of evans there was lots of laughs, ashtray in mouth and smash of the counter etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

i'd agree with this, he essentially brought down the organisation, he was weak and emotional, what would be the point of having a tough guy play that role.

(his acting was questionable though)
    Hmm. Didn't bother finishing the last few episodes, so I can can see yer point with regards to the 'what it takes' for the crime boss role. Seems valid. However, my point was simply that when Joe Cole tried to act menacingly, it failed. I don't think it was a complex trying-but-failing-to-get-it-across acting masterclass. It just didn't work. He was miscast in this narrow respect imo.
    (For better casting in emotional complexity he's far better in 'Pure' on Sky. It's a pretty decent stab at a humorous look at the seriousness of mental illness/compulsions).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Watched the whole series and loved it. A bit predictable in places such as what Shannon did towards the end and Elliot from the beginning and what Ed did but overall I thought it was good. Action scenes were brilliant. I would rather if they concentrated on the gangs side of things rather than the investors for season 2. I’ve not seen Joe Cole act before and thought he did an ok job. I would have liked to see what Joseph Morgan from The Originals would have been like in the role.

if you're a fan of evans there was lots of laughs, ashtray in mouth and smash of the counter etc.

Actually yes, you're correct.

It was more the dialogue i was referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Finished it today after watching it the last week or so, hard to know what to make of it really. I thought it went beyond ridiculous on many occasions and I was not a fan of the fight scenes which were way OTT for me (understand most people probably like this though), I didn't find any of the characters particularly likeable aside from Elliott and it was hard to warm to most of them, Sean especially rubbed me up the wrong way and did not like his character whatsoever.

Having said all of that, it was extremely watchable and for some reason the ridiculous-ness didn't put me off in the way it normally would in other shows. I enjoyed seeing the different types of gangs and having a brief look into their back story, enjoyed the setting of London and generally thought the story line was okay. The ending was better than I thought it was going to be, but I was a bit unclear on something -
    Is Elliott still a 'good guy' or is he in too deep now and essentially working for the investors? I know he has the memory card that Sean gave him with the details of all of the companies working with Finn Wallace, but is he even still a police officer anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just passed Episode 5, the attack on the remote cottage.

For me I have reached a "will I or won't I continue" moment. The show has been very violent up to now, but this took it to new levels. Ultra violent.

I don't mind violence in films, but as others have said, this is way OTT, almost like it is trying too hard to shock. Plus its very daft, watching people get riddled with about 100 bullets but still be able to attack. Its almost cartoonish. How many times had the gypsy da been shot?

Plus, it was a little cringey. I take it the gang were German? They were very methodical and a but stereotypical of hired assassins in cinema, only taken to a new level again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just passed Episode 5, the attack on the remote cottage.

For me I have reached a "will I or won't I continue" moment. The show has been very violent up to now, but this took it to new levels. Ultra violent.

I don't mind violence in films, but as others have said, this is way OTT, almost like it is trying too hard to shock. Plus its very daft, watching people get riddled with about 100 bullets but still be able to attack. Its almost cartoonish. How many times had the gypsy da been shot?

Plus, it was a little cringey. I take it the gang were German? They were very methodical and a but stereotypical of hired assassins in cinema, only taken to a new level again.
    They were Norwegian... Scandinavian at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

They were Norwegian... Scandinavian at least
    I heard one of the characters mention they were Danish.

Advertisement