Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Thermostat Wiring Diagram

Options
  • 12-02-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all

one of the thermostats in the house is gone so went to Heat Merchants to get a replacement. i figured replacing it would be simple as changing a light switch or power outlet but i cant figure out these wiring diagrams!!!

this is the wiring diagram of the current broken thermostat (Towerstat RS)
    https://live.staticflickr.com/2726/4422369290_24ca4b85b5_b.jpg

and this is the new EPH CM2
    https://www.ephcontrols.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/20171129_CM_-_DS_JW.pdf

can someone tell me how these two diagrams line up with each other?
    interesting to note that my current thermostat has 3 wires connected whereas the diagram for the new one only seems to use 2. maybe i've got the wrong model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

In your old thermostat use cables connected to 1&3 and connected them to 1&2 in your new thermostat. Not sure if your 3rd cable is a neutral or earth (post photo or say where it’s connected ). If it’s a neutral then it’s not required for your new stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

meercat wrote: »
    In your old thermostat use cables connected to 1&3 and connected them to 1&2 in your new thermostat. Not sure if your 3rd cable is a neutral or earth (post photo or say where it’s connected ). If it’s a neutral then it’s not required for your new stat.

thanks for the reply, here is a pic of the old thermostat still wiring up to the wall, hope that helps

85146749_10218345199116243_4377970090205773824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=okOmVKCkOdsAX8xXh5M&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=7d99b09e3d92a196a5948db8dcb67afa&oe=5ED1BE13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

The blue wire is not required but can be connected into N of your new thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Would the old towerstat have a heat anticipator whereas the CM2 doesn't?.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

John.G wrote: »
    Would the old towerstat have a heat anticipator whereas the CM2 doesn't?.

What is the function of a heat anticipator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Its to stop too rapid switching and over/undershoot of a thermostat, probably not seen that often in roomstats since the room temperature changes at a relatively slow rate.

The neutral in your old stat was/could be probably used in conjunction with a indicating ON LED from the switched live.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ideal time to replace with sonoff TH16 and a sonoff temp sensor.

Remote control , Google assistant control , scheduled timer setups

Advertisement