Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric outage

Options
  • 12-02-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Electric supply seems to be interrupted regularly where I live. I know the area and before moving into house I bought a generator. It's working away in the garage at the moment while my neighbours have cold tea.
    This is third time in 5 days.. Ok, there was some storm, fair enough. But this is approx. the 10th time in 12 months. 12mths before that, maybe 8 times.

First question; is it possible to get the number and reasons for outages over the last number of years from ESB/other.
    Second; any advice on how to approach ESB with this? One neighbour is electrician and has raised a complaint over Xmas for this issue. Is there an expected level of service etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Electric supply seems to be interrupted regularly where I live. I know the area and before moving into house I bought a generator. It's working away in the garage at the moment while my neighbours have cold tea.
    This is third time in 5 days.. Ok, there was some storm, fair enough. But this is approx. the 10th time in 12 months. 12mths before that, maybe 8 times.

First question; is it possible to get the number and reasons for outages over the last number of years from ESB/other.
    Second; any advice on how to approach ESB with this? One neighbour is electrician and has raised a complaint over Xmas for this issue. Is there an expected level of service etc.

Awh jeez surely you could invite the neighbours for a cuppa knowing their plight

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Awh jeez surely you could invite the neighbours for a cuppa knowing their plight

I've been known to run an extension lead left and right the odd time but not across the main road.. They're on their own.

Supply has been back for last 2hrs..now gone again. WTF.. I opened a bag of crisps.. that must've been it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you connecting it to your mains supply or running it stand alone.

Have you downloaded the ESB PowerCheck app ? It gives information on outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Contact ESB Networks

(in the meantime, perhaps see if you can help your neighbour, perhaps share the electrical power - separate point I know)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you connecting it to your mains supply or running it stand alone.

Have you downloaded the ESB PowerCheck app ? It gives information on outages.

Generator connected directly to house/garage via switch-over.

I have the PowerCheck app (it's practically a requirement if you live in this area), and yes although it tells me there's an outage, the majority of the time I know this already because I have raised the ticket into the ESB along with other neighbors. The app doesn't display historical data so not much use TBH except an ETA on resolution (which is not accurate in my experience).

adrian92 wrote: »
    Contact ESB Networks
    (in the meantime, perhaps see if you can help your neighbour, perhaps share the electrical power - separate point I know)

To be fair adrian92, and I don't mean to sound unappreciative of your answer, but the suggestion to contact ESB Networks is stating the obvious. Kind of like someone asking for advice on an issue with their car and being told by boardsies to contact their mechanic :P

Advertisement